Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hell Levels

Dezark35Dezark35 Member Posts: 2

Wondered what the consensus on hell levels are? Seems that these have been identified as one of the aspects of EQ that were rightfully 'retired' in future games as they were not player friendly and they made people ragequit. Within the following paragraphs I hope to explain why I thought they were a good idea.

Firstly, each game has a set amount of time to achieve maximum level. In my experience every game since EQ has had a levelling curve that was simply too quick or easy (for example, I hit 80th level in GW2 6 days after release). Hell levels added a road bump in the levelling process and provided a window were the levelling speeds slowed and brought the community together as slower levellers caught up with the quick levellers. I know on VZ, possibly due to the team ruleset, when I hit max level I went to certain camps and buffed people to help them along.

Hell levels were a pain in the arse but they were there for all and they forced people to explore the world or exchange information in order to hit 'sweet spots' to minimise the impact of such levels. Camps within the game became known for each hell level and, on Vallon Zek (my server), intense pvp would happen over these spots. I presume on the PVE servers there were lengthy queues for these camp spots. I know that I sat at zone in Lower Guk waiting for spots to open and chatted to people and built groups at the zone in to xp whilst we waited. In no game since have I felt the need to group whilst I level to max and my involvement with the community has been limited to my RL friends in game and to a certain extent my guild (if I could be bothered to join one).

I know I am likely to be flamed (as I was in SWTOR forums previously) but I really feel that whilst I  hated them in game (at the time) they were actually a positive thing for building the community and encouraging group play due to the better xp gain per hour provided by group play.

So, what do others think?

Comments

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Considering hell levels were a bug and not a design choice. I would say we will most likely never see them again.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365
    personally hoping EQNext maybe doesn't have traditional level based character progression.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Wouldn't mind hell levels at all. They were some of the best times I had in EQ. Around lvl 50 is when I made most of my best friends in EQ, and lvl 50 was when the hell levels started.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by DMKano

No.

Again we are talking about old concepts that belong in old games, if EQN is so radically different it will have none of this.

I hope that even the basic concept of leveling is so different in EQN that this simply does not even apply.

Doesn't matter really because Smed has hinted at harsher rule servers more akin to EQ, don't like them then people don't have to play on those types of servers.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    leveling should take MONTHS even for the most hard core.. if we must have levels at all
  • rusrecrusrec Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn
    personally hoping EQNext maybe doesn't have traditional level based character progression.

This...I think Id prefer to have no levels just open world and fear and consequences

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Even UO had "traditional level based character progression" - they just called them "skills."

EQNext will only be truly innovative and unique if they remove linear statistical progression... which they won't.

So you'll have some form of "levels" be they skills or actual levels or box's and skill points or xp etc. etc.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I never want to see these brought back in any game. Hell levels drove me nuts, you do not need hell levels to feel like you have reached a goal. Going from 1 - 100 is quite enough for me, now I wouldn't mind seeing hell levels when it comes to AA's as a form of end game as long as they make it worth while.

• Zen_BladeZen_Blade Member UncommonPosts: 106
    Originally posted by Iadien
    Considering hell levels were a bug and not a design choice. I would say we will most likely never see them again.

This...

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I never liked hell levels. I agree I dont want a fast leveling process but I think a curing progression EQ changed to is much better. They dropped hell levels and I see no reason they should make a return. 
  • corechambercorechamber Member UncommonPosts: 148

Why do people not want to level?  I want the old EQ treadmill because it gives me time to enjoy and explore all of the content.  It lets me use my gear for more then an hour before I become under geared. Why do you want to be the best at the very start, why must every ones damage be balanced?

I again want to play an EQ where there are roles that must be filled, and groups to find.  I want those camps that last why into the night resulting in a level, skills sometimes gear but more importantly the forging of friendships.  I had a huge friends list in EQ, people I talked to every day, some I still do, but that has not happened it a single other game and I believe its because we do not depend on each other. Games move way to fast.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Yup. Kind of funny how bugs and other kind of flaws and unexpected uses turned out to be great features. I am sure if devs have had better control, EQ would never have shined so much haha. That could be a good lesson for todays devs, not that they should make strange mechanics, but to acknowledge that overly designed and controlled games easily become dull.

Anyways, all these things people take from EQ and want/hope will be in EqNext.. I think You should stop trying to fool Yourself, EqNext will not have any of those EQ features, EqNext will not be anywhere close to EQ, its a completely new game. All You can hope for is that some of the spirit remains and shows in the new systems EqNext will present, but specific features no. There will be instant travel, there will not be harsh death penalties, it will not be group centric, there will be instances and/or phasing, and so on.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Yes please, do bring hell levels back. It's going to be tough obstacles to climb, but once over it, I want the yay feeling knowing that things will get slightly easier again.

If only on "EQ1 Hardcore" servers, then fine. That's where I intend to play anyway. :)

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Originally posted by kjempff

Yup. Kind of funny how bugs and other kind of flaws and unexpected uses turned out to be great features. I am sure if devs have had better control, EQ would never have shined so much haha. That could be a good lesson for todays devs, not that they should make strange mechanics, but to acknowledge that overly designed and controlled games easily become dull.

Anyways, all these things people take from EQ and want/hope will be in EqNext.. I think You should stop trying to fool Yourself, EqNext will not have any of those EQ features, EqNext will not be anywhere close to EQ, its a completely new game. All You can hope for is that some of the spirit remains and shows in the new systems EqNext will present, but specific features no. There will be instant travel, there will not be harsh death penalties, it will not be group centric, there will be instances and/or phasing, and so on.

Yeah. A lot of game mechanics were bugs or unintentional (ie FD pulling) by the designers.

• corechambercorechamber Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by kjempff

Ive told my this a million time, and will till I see details Aug 2nd.  But from the tweets to the stories they have posted on the eq next webpage why would it not be.  Why post videos on the everquest next site that talks about corpse runs and camping for 2 days to get something if you have no intentions of making it  a part of you game. 

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Originally posted by CoreChamber
    Originally posted by kjempff.....

Ive told my this a million time, and will till I see details Aug 2nd.  But from the tweets to the stories they have posted on the eq next webpage why would it not be.  Why post videos on the everquest next site that talks about corpse runs and camping for 2 days to get something if you have no intentions of making it  a part of you game. 

Hmm well if that is the case I guess You could be right. The few things I have read didn't indicate that they will re-implement any of those old EQ features, only that they "recognize and remember them", but I will gladly stand corrected, no I would be ecstatic if it was so.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by CoreChamber

Why do people not want to level?  I want the old EQ treadmill because it gives me time to enjoy and explore all of the content.  It lets me use my gear for more then an hour before I become under geared. Why do you want to be the best at the very start, why must every ones damage be balanced?

I again want to play an EQ where there are roles that must be filled, and groups to find.  I want those camps that last why into the night resulting in a level, skills sometimes gear but more importantly the forging of friendships.  I had a huge friends list in EQ, people I talked to every day, some I still do, but that has not happened it a single other game and I believe its because we do not depend on each other. Games move way to fast.

I would like it too.  There are plenty of fast leveling games for those who want them.  Then again, I don't need everything NOW.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

Every level should be a hell level.

The 5 level cycle in EQ was a well-documented bug.  Good riddance.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by dandurin

Every level should be a hell level.

The 5 level cycle in EQ was a well-documented bug.  Good riddance.

Agree to all levels should be hell

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

No.

Again we are talking about old concepts that belong in old games, if EQN is so radically different it will have none of this.

I hope that even the basic concept of leveling is so different in EQN that this simply does not even apply.

Doesn't matter really because Smed has hinted at harsher rule servers more akin to EQ, don't like them then people don't have to play on those types of servers.

He hinted at harsher rule servers before the EQ/EQ2 evolution of EQNext got outright scrapped. That EQNext no longer exists.

• quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Originally posted by rusrec

This...I think Id prefer to have no levels just open world and fear and consequences

if its not lvls then its skills and id rather not i havent seen a skill based game ever done right for a mmorpg

Originally posted by Ppiper
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    leveling should take MONTHS even for the most hard core.. if we must have levels at all

agreed. It essentially takes leveling out of the prime component and returns game play to its focus.

Why should leveling be the focus?

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

No.

It really takes some kind of faith or unrealistic belief to actually believe everything that comes out of that guys mouth when he has proven what he says can't be trusted.

But given that, you go as far as believing what he "Hints at" .  Really? Seems to be a bit of a stretch.

Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by TribeofOne

agreed. It essentially takes leveling out of the prime component and returns game play to its focus.

Why should leveling be the focus?

that's the opposite of what I wrote

I know what you said, but it would make it the focus. When all you do is non-stop leveling, it inevitably becomes the focus. It was the focus in Everquest when people would spend 'just a little longer' to achieve their level, only to then lose it by dying and then having to go at it again.

• zorthekzorthek Member Posts: 5

For me i never understood why you even had levels in Vanilla-EQ. It felt more like a restriction of places where you could go grinding. Your performance was mostly influenced by the right choice of you race and the gear you carried. And since most non-raiding gear was tradeable, you could equip yourself quite well if you played the trading game.

Most MMO´s today give me the feeling that you don´t need levels at all, only a very good designed tutorial of how to play you class and role. And of course a real thought out concept what the game is really about that you wanna log in every day and can just enjoy it.