Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll)Microsoft changed its mind, have you?

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I hit no, but not because I don't trust them, more because I'm done with consoles.
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by spankybus
    This question is targeted at the detractors, myself included. Now that Microsoft has reversed its drm and online policies, how many have decided to buy an Xbox One?

I'm still waiting to see the full specifics on the HTPC type abilities the system will have.  If it can replace my HTPC on my main TV then I'll get one.  If not, I'll get the PS4. 

Features that I need are:

DVR functionality

Able to play streaming video from Vudu, Amazon, NFL.com, ESPN, Syfy, A & E etc.

Able to play all the movies from my Media center, ripped Bluray and DVDs (which I own!)

compatible with my HDHomeruns (I don't have cable) and my windows media server

Otherwise I'll probably just stick with my HTPC and buy a PS4 after the first gen kinks are worked out.

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Nope, they wanted to make more money by its no share bs. Now that they see how much backlash it caused is the only reason they got rid of it. Not for the gamer but for the loss of money since a lot of consumers said there going Sony. I will never buy an Xbox 1, who's to say they won't change back later after they sold a good amount. I say fu#k M$.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by bestever

Originally posted by VideoJockey
    Nope. Not interested in a device that is always listening and must check in with MS every day.
    It no longer needs to check with ms every day go do some reading and you'll find out about that and the kinect can be shut off.
    Would have been nice to have the article linked in the OP.

No, I am not changing my mind on the X-Bone.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

No. X1 is everything I don't want in a console.

Always (required) on Kinect watching you and listening to you, connected to the internet, with Microsoft being the government big brother software maker.

Yes, they caved to overwhelming anger on the DRM and used games point, but they are always a patch away from coming back. I'm betting a year from launch, X1 OS 2.0 will update and it's back.

The games thus far look kind of meh.

Overall, my impression of it is it's not a very good product. I could be wrong on every one of the issues, but these are things I don't want my console to do.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Simply put, I think it's only a matter of time before the Xbox One-Eighty becomes a 360 and we are back were we started.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

No.

Besides they still want to heavily use cloud and require Kinect-camera so they haven't really changed fully.  What they changed is not enough - simple as that.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

It's not a matter of trust on my part, I just see no need in getting one.

I own an XBox 360 and a PS3, and rarely if ever use them. The PS3 gets used the most because of bluetooth and the XBox hasn't been touched in months. I honestly haven't found a single console game that is worthy of spending more money on, all are extremely shallow compared to PC games imho. Skyrim being a perfect example. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Amjoco

It's not a matter of trust on my part, I just see no need in getting one.

I own an XBox 360 and a PS3, and rarely if ever use them. The PS3 gets used the most because of bluetooth and the XBox hasn't been touched in months. I honestly haven't found a single console game that is worthy of spending more money on, all are extremely shallow compared to PC games imho. Skyrim being a perfect example. 

Good point on shallow games lately. I have been waiting for a good RPG on both systems for a very long time. Only a handful of RPG's came out that were worth playing, and even those were shallow in regards to how much depth the game had. I fear that developers are switching over to the more instant action genres like COD. Its really too bad because I think COD franchise is shallow unless you play the single player which again isn't that great, the multiplayer has a ton of exploiters half the time regardless on which console you run it on. I am however really looking forward to Destiny on the PS4 and the Order. So far Sony has my interest peaked for some games, so here is hoping that consoles will come back.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by ElirionLoth
    Originally posted by spankybus This question is targeted at the detractors, myself included. Now that Microsoft has reversed its drm and online policies, how many have decided to buy an Xbox One?
    I'm still waiting to see the full specifics on the HTPC type abilities the system will have.  If it can replace my HTPC on my main TV then I'll get one.  If not, I'll get the PS4. 

DVR functionality

Able to play all the movies from my Media center, ripped Bluray and DVDs (which I own!)

Otherwise I'll probably just stick with my HTPC and buy a PS4 after the first gen kinks are worked out.

The XB1 will not have any DVR capabilities. The XB1 will be a huge remote control, capable of overlaying video on live television.

It will have streaming capabilities from a lot of the streaming sources, so long as you have an XBox Live subscription, same as the XB360.

It's not likely it'll play ripped media from another source, unless that source is running a media center version of Windows. Basically how the XB360 works with a Windows PC right now.

No idea on the HDHomeruns.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I certainly won't be getting the Xbox One, but not because I don't trust Microsoft, it's primarily about the cost. There U turn made me think about getting one for a short time but again I still came back to overall cost.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Actually pre-ordered an Xbox One when I read up on all the features, I felt as an around package the Xbox One just hit the spot and got me excited about a console for the first time in over a decade, the drm never bothered me as well being a non paranoid PC/MMO gamer for the past decade. I found the outcry bemusing and then annoying, these same gamers will not be standing by the retailers when they see the benefits of downloadable content and physical discs become extinct. Its just a typical shortsighted view of the world with their own selfish short term needs put at the fore. Many are now asking for the Kinect to be removed they'll keep going until we are back in each gamers personal "golden era" 

I have often been taken aback by the term "entitled" being thrown around but I actually saw this in reality this past week. As I said these same "angry" gamers will not be there to support the retail industry when it inevitably fails in the next few years because they can download a game and play near instantly, get extras for being connected online, get better value with revolving sales and probably be able to share and play games wherever they are. The so called victory for the consumer is a hollow one in my view. The irony is these people constantly scream for innovation and better games but when company tries to deliver it they scream they are taking away their rights and and refuse to pay for it, incredible.

When I was young the future of gaming was the preserve of science fiction, being able to control games with a wave of the hand or voice control was a pipe dream, worlds being updated with ingame events happing on the fly to surprise and wow you were years away, along come Microsoft with a vision for the future of gaming and its just thrown back in their faces because gamers cannot trade in virtual legacy formats or sell them on Ebay for a fraction they paid or they have to log in once every 24 hours really? Microsoft showed me that gaming could move to the next level for some concessions and the online gaming world rejected it. I was wiling to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they could pull it off as the Xbox One seem like a step in the right direction but as ever the paranoid masses cried foul. The whole situation will be forgotten in years to come hopefully and many gamers will wonder why they jumped up and down so vehemently for something so insignificant.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70
    *IF* I get a console, it was going to be the PS4 regardless of if MS changed their policies or not. I'm not paying $100 more for the system with the weaker hardware. 
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    No.  All this drama is plainly indicative of the business model they're trying to push, and I'm not a fan.  No amount of backtracking is going to change that.
  • Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Nope. For me there is still 2 MAJOR issue that prevent me from buying this console.

1- Mandatory Game Install. I dont want to have to install games on the HD. Do you know big bluray games can be ? Up to 40gig ! That 500gig HD aint gonna last long if you need every games installed.

2- Mandatory Kinect. I dont mind the Kinect just dont force us to have it plugged all the time.

Remove these 2 and i'm might buy this console.
  • taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by ElirionLoth
    Originally posted by spankybus
    This question is targeted at the detractors, myself included. Now that Microsoft has reversed its drm and online policies, how many have decided to buy an Xbox One?

DVR functionality

Confirmed No. With a 500GB HDD (you can not upgrade) already stuffed with games its not practical any way.

Confirmed streaming services ESPN, Netflix and Hulu.

It needs confirmation but aparently has no media player so it does nothing like that. XBMC is a big no.

Not sure what that is.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547

Nope, still don't WANT one.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Actually pre-ordered an Xbox One when I read up on all the features, I felt as an around package the Xbox One just hit the spot and got me excited about a console for the first time in over a decade, the drm never bothered me as well being a non paranoid PC/MMO gamer for the past decade. I found the outcry bemusing and then annoying, these same gamers will not be standing by the retailers when they see the benefits of downloadable content and physical discs become extinct. Its just a typical shortsighted view of the world with their own selfish short term needs put at the fore. Many are now asking for the Kinect to be removed they'll keep going until we are back in each gamers personal "golden era" 

I have often been taken aback by the term "entitled" being thrown around but I actually saw this in reality this past week. As I said these same "angry" gamers will not be there to support the retail industry when it inevitably fails in the next few years because they can download a game and play near instantly, get extras for being connected online, get better value with revolving sales and probably be able to share and play games wherever they are. The so called victory for the consumer is a hollow one in my view. The irony is these people constantly scream for innovation and better games but when company tries to deliver it they scream they are taking away their rights and and refuse to pay for it, incredible.

When I was young the future of gaming was the preserve of science fiction, being able to control games with a wave of the hand or voice control was a pipe dream, worlds being updated with ingame events happing on the fly to surprise and wow you were years away, along come Microsoft with a vision for the future of gaming and its just thrown back in their faces because gamers cannot trade in virtual legacy formats or sell them on Ebay for a fraction they paid or they have to log in once every 24 hours really? Microsoft showed me that gaming could move to the next level for some concessions and the online gaming world rejected it. I was wiling to give them the benefit of the doubt and see if they could pull it off as the Xbox One seem like a step in the right direction but as ever the paranoid masses cried foul. The whole situation will be forgotten in years to come hopefully and many gamers will wonder why they jumped up and down so vehemently for something so insignificant.

You can still download all games on the XBOX (or PS4) and still have an on-line library like on the 360 (even though according to Microsoft that was impossible without the DRM before they changed it).

Good luck though with your non-upgradeable 500GB HDD on the XBOX and games that already reach 30-40GB. Unless you got a fast connection you will be downloading for 2-3 days before you can play the game on the XBOX.

The PS4 actually let's you play while it is downloading. I would call that a step into the future since regular downloads and an on-line library are not really something new even if Microsoft tries to convince everyone that it is.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    They don't support indie devs, i don't support them.
  • keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    So far I'm still leaning toward staying on a PC, but if I do get a console the PS4 still on the surface seems to be the better of the two. Now whether the average eye will notice the differences has yet to be determined. This means I will not get one at launch until I see feedback over the first couple of months.

There Is Always Hope!

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Was never going to buy one. I'm a PC gamer, hate console gaming.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The drm was not going to affect me either way. Still getting an Xbox One day 1.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

They went about resalability incorrectly.  What they should have said was: Whereas with a console like a PS4 you will buy a game for $60 and sell it for $15 used, we will be making it easier on you by not having to sell your game at the end and having our games come out for $45 instead.  This way they could have gotten what they wanted without upsetting everyone.  I would figure the numbers would even work out for them at 45 instead of 60 for new games with there being no used game sales.

As for the 24 hour thing, that was just dumb dumb.  You play video games when your cable is out.  This would have killed that.

There are many other things that are odious about the X1 and they can slip back at any time, so no I do not trust them.

However even for the PS4 buyers it is very important that Xbox not fall tremendously behind.  That reason is game release times.  If there are no USA consoles at all then Japan can go back to waiting a year or more before releasing a limited number of games in the states.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

For me it's all about the exclusives and Sony has more that I would like then Microsoft. I will take Killzone over Halo. I will take Gran Turismo and Drive Club over Forza. I was impressed with Titanfall but would take Destiny over it. Xbox only had 2 exclusives that I liked which were Titanfall and Project Spark but not going to buy one because of just 2.

I held my opinion on both consoles till after they were fully revealed at E3 and Sony just made me want their console more then Microsoft.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    delete

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.