Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hypothetical: EQ Next has the same classes as EQ1, what class would you play?

Comments

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    A bard first for sure and maybe a druid . Probably a warrior later on.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Enchanter. I really miss crowd control in MMOs. Buffing on top of crowd control, does it get any better? This class fit me like a glove.
  • PhoenixC13PhoenixC13 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I hope there is a true need for CC again.   I want a ding to mean something and feel like I earned something.

• MartinmasMartinmas Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Human Monk. I enjoyed being the puller for groups and hopefully this mechanic plays a huge roll again.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Martinmas
    Human Monk. I enjoyed being the puller for groups and hopefully this mechanic plays a huge roll again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVNeKx7VkgU

Human monks beat iskar Monks anyday the video says so :P

While im on the old EQ vids here one for Clerics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5y_VpHp8o

And another for good old corpse runs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bm_fOFyAhA

• ghorgosghorgos Member UncommonPosts: 191

Enchanter unless the cc-mechanics realy suck

Wizzard or Magician as alt

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by arieste
    I don't think SOE was particularly happy with how having 25 classes turned out in EQ2, so i'm guessing this will be a system more similar to Rift - like 4 classes and tons of very different specs / ways to combine them.   A classless system like TSW or EVE would be awesome.

If this is how they choose to have there classes, then you can count me right out. I hate that everyone can be everything bullshit. Pick a class and get on with it.

• RogoshRogosh Member UncommonPosts: 208

Shadowknight, feign death pull is beast.

Alts would be, beastlord and either necro or magician.

"Its better to look ugly and win than pretty and lose"

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Rogosh

Shadowknight, feign death pull is beast.

Alts would be, beastlord and either necro or magician.

I used to love pulling as a Necro =-) Was a lot of fun!

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    EQ1 classes... Beast Lord! :)
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Whatever the equivalent of a performing Bard (not a buffbot) is.

Did EQ have any performance competitions?

This year should mark (if I'm not mistaken) the 18th Annual House Aspis Bardfest.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    I don't think SOE was particularly happy with how having 25 classes turned out in EQ2, so i'm guessing this will be a system more similar to Rift - like 4 classes and tons of very different specs / ways to combine them.   A classless system like TSW or EVE would be awesome.

If this is how they choose to have there classes, then you can count me right out. I hate that everyone can be everything bullshit. Pick a class and get on with it.

Yeah, I agree, I don't care for the Rift system either, four generalized arch-types, which are then broken down into something resembling individual classes based on how they are specialized. It sounds kinda neat on paper, but when it's put into practice it seriously limits diversity b/c no matter what, each class ultimately comes back to the arch-type they are based on. In a system like that, there can be no such things as EQ Bards, or pure support classes which are, by far, my favorite type of class.

I hope that they use a system most like EQlive, where classes can be wholly unique and some can exist outside the trinity of tank/healer/dps. I want something that looks more like tank/healer/dps/support.

• exwinexwin Member Posts: 221

If EQ Next was JUST like classic EQ1, Bard.  No question.

I got the most function out of guild tanking with my War, and pug healing with my druid, but my bard was my favorite, even probably cementing the probability that I'll have arthritis in my hands one day.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

since its supposedly a sandbox, it may not even have classes. but if it did have the same class/races as EQ, i would have to go with a fat ogre shaman like my old main.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I like almost all the classes in EQ1, and hope they stick with those classes. Having said that I will probably have every character slot filled with a class I want to play. The biggest grief i have with EQ1 classes is the melee classes, I would love to see them in a lot more depth and options in playstyles. I think I would more than likely play a Beastlord though as long as they removed the requirement of raising your skills, i cant tell you how annoying it is to get new spells and then blow 50% of your mana to just cast it once.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by baphamet

since its supposedly a sandbox, it may not even have classes.

Like MxO?

I wouldn't have thought that game made a big enough impression on the Smed to have any carry-over, but sure, could be.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Getting rid of classes altogether is aight with me...as it only makes sense to be good at what you do over time and your type of gameplay makes you who you are...

Otherwise I usually played an unarmed monk type class in any MMORPG I played, including Everquest; if they didn't allow unarmed classes I played an archer type ranged stealth killer, which was mostly the case as unarmed fighters were hard for game developers to impliment and program as I was told time and again

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498

Iksar SK.

Had one in EQ and EQ2.

Would love a Ratonga Enchanter, I hope Ratonga make it into the base game.

Was really eager to play a Troll Shaman in EQ2 but they nerfed the class-defining slows.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Shadowknight

Killing dragons is my shit

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by baphamet since its supposedly a sandbox, it may not even have classes.
    Like MxO?

I wouldn't have thought that game made a big enough impression on the Smed to have any carry-over, but sure, could be.

well being a sanbdbox it could be skill based to give the most freedom possible.

not saying that is what it likely will be, i am just saying we don't know for sure.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Someone needs to make a poll out of this......go on.....

• gakulegakule Member UncommonPosts: 92
    Originally posted by teddyboy420
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

Yeah, I agree, I don't care for the Rift system either, four generalized arch-types, which are then broken down into something resembling individual classes based on how they are specialized. It sounds kinda neat on paper, but when it's put into practice it seriously limits diversity b/c no matter what, each class ultimately comes back to the arch-type they are based on. In a system like that, there can be no such things as EQ Bards, or pure support classes which are, by far, my favorite type of class.

I hope that they use a system most like EQlive, where classes can be wholly unique and some can exist outside the trinity of tank/healer/dps. I want something that looks more like tank/healer/dps/support.

I don't think you ever played Rift... being able to tank on a cleric, or heal on a cleric, or melee dps on a cleric, or ranged dps on a cleric doesn't seem to be limiting at all.

OR being able to tank on a rogue, dps on a rogue, play as a bard (SUPPORT) on a rogue... doesn't seem to be limiting at all.

That being said, I would much prefer to have the "pick a class and stick to it" approach. Not having to deal with high level players that decided to switch their spec after acquiring gear for it would be wonderful!

• Ronin316Ronin316 Member Posts: 12

Half Elf Druid for me. I liked the Jack of all Trades master of none concept. Sure I couldn't heal like a cleric, damage like a wizard, or buff like a shaman etc etc etc. But bad things happen and I had more than a few groups tell me I was nice to have around when things went south one way or another. They could help in a multitude of situations, and lets not forget the every famous (Toon walks up "hey can I get a SOW." )

Alt Wise.. Mage or Wizard type. If I can't help the good guys well then I just want to melt the bad ones.

Also I always liked the way classes were done in VG. I always thought that a fair amount of imagination went into them. Bloodmages, Disciples, and Psionisists for example all really fun classes.  The damage capability of the Sorcerer was a pretty good time to as I recall.

• DeolusDeolus Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Played a wizard in EQ1 for 6 years or more. Will hopefully play a wizard in EQN but I hope they don't make balanced classes like they ended up in EQ1. There was a reason that cloth wearers could be one-shotted if they didn't control aggro. Having non-caster classes out damage you was not funny.