Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your most deep and intricate mmorpg you ever played?

Comments

• MarzAttakzMarzAttakz Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by aiemageek
    I would have to say EVE. It had a vicious learning curve and was a lot of fun. I only stopped because eventually it felt like a second job.

In my experience too. Eve trumps the other's I've played. 4 years and 3 accounts to support the habit.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984

FFXI

I invested a lot more than time and money in that game.  I had friends, romantic relationships, enemies.  I remember having screamed once or twice at my roommate to leave me the hell alone while he was calling me an addict.  Lol, good times!  That game shaped the way I think about gaming and still shows up in my dreams.  It also bred a lot of bitterness I have toward the mmo world.  I never want to pay a sub just have it all taken away from me in the end because the devs do something so obviously stupid you wonder if they are sane - like charging me for a chocobo summon whistle when I bred and raised that bird.

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356

Anarchy Online! My first and only true love, nothing since has ever been as good.

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242

1) Vanguard

2) SWG

3) ArcheAge - played 2 months KR

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Everquest personaly
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

EQ

At this point in it's life you will still feel like a newbie after years playing.  There is just so much to the game it would be difficult to learn it all.

SWG

This was a very deep game but I didn't even scrape the surface as I quit about 6 months in.  I quit as I was too much of a solo player at the time and the game was not a very solo friendly/exciting game.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Mardukk

EQ

At this point in it's life you will still feel like a newbie after years playing.  There is just so much to the game it would be difficult to learn it all.

SWG

This was a very deep game but I didn't even scrape the surface as I quit about 6 months in.  I quit as I was too much of a solo player at the time and the game was not a very solo friendly/exciting game.

Evercrack was my 2nd mmorpg to ever grace the field of play and yeah, it was difficult back in them days 2002 - 2003 for me till SWG came around.

I remember my brother showing me his newbie armor on this bard and thought it was the sweetest thing I ever seen, especially him playing this character actually online with me. I remember making fish rolls (i think) for plat and man, did I ever make alot of them for spending money.

Oh my, how times have changed since them mmo's to what we got now as our mmo's. Even back then they had depth and unforgiving penalties whether ic was corpse running for 10 minutes to get to your body or your composite armor in swg get chewed all to hell to find a crafter to make some quality gear and weapons for you in SWG.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    FFXI by a long shot.
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Eve Online hands down. 

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• SaintGrayeSaintGraye Member UncommonPosts: 109

Wurm Online.

I built my own house, having planted and grown the trees, cut them down, harvested the wood, carved them into planks, raised the walls, laid down a floor... and that was just the first day. Everything from the roads, the fields, farms, orchards and livestock, to the battlefields and monuments of past battles are all player-created. I participated in digging a lake and a channel from the ocean to said lake, in mining through mountains and constructing one; with my fellow townsfolk we built inns, a smithy, a dock, a lighthouse and more. I sailed and trekked around the world, fought to conquer entire cities, became literally lost in the woods at least a hundred times, constantly discovered new aspects of the game to explore, including character development, and tread several times on land that no other player had ever seen.

Bit of a shame the graphics are sub-par, the community devolved into masters-and-their-chattel, the developer support waned and the game is now a veritable wasteland.

Originally posted by SaintGraye

Wurm Online.

I built my own house, having planted and grown the trees, cut them down, harvested the wood, carved them into planks, raised the walls, laid down a floor... and that was just the first day. Everything from the roads, the fields, farms, orchards and livestock, to the battlefields and monuments of past battles are all player-created. I participated in digging a lake and a channel from the ocean to said lake, in mining through mountains and constructing one; with my fellow townsfolk we built inns, a smithy, a dock, a lighthouse and more. I sailed and trekked around the world, fought to conquer entire cities, became literally lost in the woods at least a hundred times, constantly discovered new aspects of the game to explore, including character development, and tread several times on land that no other player had ever seen.

Bit of a shame the graphics are sub-par, the community devolved into masters-and-their-chattel, the developer support waned and the game is now a veritable wasteland.

I missed this one as well, but man, this game sounded like fun in its prime.

It's a shame most of the AAA mmo's we have today can't even come close to the things you mentioned.

• GeekyGeeky Member UncommonPosts: 446

Istaria

CoH

UO

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

The Op may have confused deep and intricate in his title with difficult in his post? Just because a game has depth does not mean it has to be difficult.

I would have to say AC from the old days and Lotro today.

• ThaddeusPLThaddeusPL Member UncommonPosts: 12

Anarchy Online.

I don't play EVE , AO took all my time past last 12 years and still don't know many of game secrets :)

Lookin on todays mmo's u can only grind to max level and gather best end game gear. In AO u can disable experience points gain and build a character twink on any lewel u want. And that is why I play AO. 

See you somewhere on Rubi-Ka :)

Originally posted by Scot

The Op may have confused deep and intricate in his title with difficult in his post? Just because a game has depth does not mean it has to be difficult.

I would have to say AC from the old days and Lotro today.

I stated Scot that Anarchy Online was complicated for me back in 2002 and still is, yeah Anarchy Online could also be difficult as well if you don't know what your doing in the game even with todays standards. Anarchy Online to me was very vast and deep with content if you ever tried it out within the last few years.

Most players on this post stated Eve Online was their most complicated game to understand and I would have to agree as well, however AO was my 1st to a intricate mmorpg introduced to me even though I had a choice of Everquest and Ultima Online back then, I went AO instead.

Compared to the mmo's we have to day which hold your hand, the days of deep and intricate mmo's are almost non existent, because the majority of players today want something simple, quick and fast in their mmo's.

Everyone has a different difficulty level in any game, however throw a today player in any of the classics and they would be lost on what to do <imo>.

• BamboozledBamboozled Member Posts: 29

For me, the following were deep and intricate.

1. Anarchy Online - Skill system, Implants, and learning how to blitz missions properly where all deep and rewarding aspects of the game. I still remember sitting down in the housing district in tir and watching the sun set, I logged off with a smile on my face. It is a game with huge depth and vast complexity. Also, at some point it will have an update to its graphic engine (read "soon").
    2. Horizons (Istaria) - The skill, class, and crafting system in this game is almost as complex as AO. I also loved how vast the world was. The graphics are definitely dated. But the gameplay and character progression was awesome.
    3. Fallen Earth - Great sandbox game, with a complex skill, mutation, and crafting system. Combat was a bit dull, but if you like crafting every item in the game (like I do) this game is great. Taking a week to craft a motorcycle and even longer to craft buggies and cars was a chore, but you really felt like you worked for something. The questing was ok, a huge world to explore, and a post apoc environment to boot.

“He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.”

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• MarLMarL Member UncommonPosts: 606
    1. 10six
    2. Neocron
    3. endlessages
    4. Eve online
    5. Swg

Own, Mine, Defend, Attack, 24/7

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

a number of them. but the most memorable were:

SWGpreNGE

FFXI

oldschoolEQ2

Vanguard

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• buegurbuegur Member UncommonPosts: 457

1. SWG

2. DAoC

3. Uncharted Waters

4. Anarchy Online

5.  EQ2

6. Vanguard

7. Star Trek Online

8. EQ

9. Astroempires

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

LOTRO when it first came out, prior to all expansions and f2p.  

EVE 

Shadowbane, oh Gawd how I miss Shadowbane, even the broken parts and the lag. 

EQ2 

City of Villains(never liked Heros 1/2 as much as villains) 

Those were the MMO's that I lked. I cannot get into LOTRO anymore it has changed way too much to draw the casual players. Same goes for EQ2. Shadowbane and City of Villains are gone now, maybe someday Shadowbane 2 will come but I doubt it.  And EVE is a great game but I can't stick with it.  

So now waiting on EQnext and World of Darkness. See what they offer. Mostly no MMO out there now that I want to play.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• MGPetersonMGPeterson Member UncommonPosts: 46

1. Anarchy Online

2. Star Wars Galaxies

3. EvE Online

4. Everquest

In that order.

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    1. Ultima Online
    2. Asheron's Call
    3. Everquest
    4. Star Wars Galaxies(Pre NGE)
    5. Vanguard 
    Those are the five toughest I have played so far. And they are also the five mmorpg's I have enjoyed the most so far :)

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Early Lineage 2 was a game like no other. Gear was player crafted with no auction house so you had to go to market towns and talk to people to get what you wanted. You did not get a lot of  money from killing mobs so you had find other ways like crafting and playing the market buying stuff and reselling for a profit. I remember us not having enough money to port off the newbie island so we had to buy a boat ticket which was cheap and wait on the boat to come and take us to the next town. Leveling took time and a lot of effort which gave that sense of accomplishment that's missing today. Real open seemless world with so many different places to go at any given time. It was grind based which today I still belive is better then questing because grind based games made people group and be social. There was no path so you just did your own thing which made it feel open ended. When games became quest based that's when the exploration and social aspect was lost because when doing quest you are forced in a direction and all alone not needing to interact with other people other then the occasional instance dungeon or group quest.
    Originally posted by buegur

1. SWG

2. DAoC

3. Uncharted Waters

4. Anarchy Online

5.  EQ2

6. Vanguard

7. Star Trek Online

8. EQ

9. Astroempires

Just started playing Uncharted Waters Online for the first time and I see it's definitely a niche title, but the game does have it's loyalists playing it. I do see folks helping others out in chat and that's a good sign even for a free 2 play mmo with a cash shop. Some players are calling this game a pay 2 win game, however I haven't bought anything yet and enjoying the game.

The game seems very vast, especially the map http://troublmaker.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/unchartedwaters4.png

That is a lot of places to explore on any type of ship you can muster up. I like the part where you can visit certain ports, however unless you got the right type of attire or speak their language, the port or village want even talk to you.

The graphics to this game seem like something you see on a console game back when and the game at first treats you like your in elementary school, but once you get pass all the slow and boring parts in knowing this game, it definitely opens up. It kind of reminds me of Eve Online, however on the open seas. I haven't gotten into any PvP yet, but then again, I am still learning the ropes in the newbie safe zone area.

Anyways the game does require a lot of wiki look up and certain puzzles and mysteries to figure out since you got 3 types of classes to choose from 'Adventurer, Merchant and Maritime'. Maritime seems to be the class if you want to broadside and capture ships, booty and PvP, where as I picked adventurer and it has me exploring the game at different ports.

So it looks like this game caters to the PvPer, PVE'er and Trader (3 types of player style). However nice game for that certain player that loves Sid Meier's Pirates online.

• SabbicatSabbicat Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Pre-CU SWG