Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Powerhouse of MMO gaming!

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

I find it interesting that the top four gaming companies in the mmo market are working together. When Blizzard, Sony and Trion execs had dinner together at E3 I wonder what was discussed. As many already know., Blizzard and Sony and Bungie have formed a partnership. Is Trion the next to join the already big powerhouse? What does that mean for mmorpg gaming? Is EQNext really it? Where does Trion fit in?

These are some of the questions I have been asking myself as of late. I think this year is going to be a fantastic year for mmorpgs. With much expected hyped titles I am sure one will be the gem or more. I feel a mmorpg revolution on the way. The end of our past cycle. I am sure many of you feel it as well.

What do you think about this years turn of events in the mmorpg market?

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    It would have been fun to have been a fly on the wall during those conversations, but since I wasn't, I don't know what to say.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Am I the only one worried they were figuring out that if they had similar charging models they could raise prices?

At the end of he day they are all people with similar lives, families and interests. I bet they were all talking about PS4!
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by xpowderx

I find it interesting that the top four gaming companies in the mmo market are working together. When Blizzard, Sony and Trion execs had dinner together at E3 I wonder what was discussed. As many already know., Blizzard and Sony and Bungie have formed a partnership. Is Trion the next to join the already big powerhouse? What does that mean for mmorpg gaming? Is EQNext really it? Where does Trion fit in?

These are some of the questions I have been asking myself as of late. I think this year is going to be a fantastic year for mmorpgs. With much expected hyped titles I am sure one will be the gem or more. I feel a mmorpg revolution on the way. The end of our past cycle. I am sure many of you feel it as well.

So let me get thsi straight.

Your theory is that Trion and Blizzard are abandoning all their MMORPG projects to grovel at the feet of John Smedley god of broken promises, king of twitter trolls.

yes I believe you are probably spot on, they know the SECRET about EQNext and they are visiting Jesus Christ in the manger to praise him and lay gifts at his feet.

I am rolling on the floor laughing.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I find it interesting that the top four gaming companies in the mmo market are working together. When Blizzard, Sony and Trion execs had dinner together at E3 I wonder what was discussed.

What bar/club they are headed to next and how hammered they plan to be by the time they leave there.

I agree about it being a good year for MMOs. A lot of diversity in what's being offered and a lot of great titles coming out. If someone still can't find an MMO they like by the end of this year - past and present  MMOs included - then they should stop wasting their time looking in the wrong place for what they want.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• RhinotonesRhinotones Member UncommonPosts: 250

I was saying to a friend only last night that the MMO gaming industry is evolving exactly the same way as any other industry has in the free world. The cream rises to the top, then turns into multinational monsters squeezing out any potential competition. They can afford to throw hundreds of millions into a new release. Who can compete with that?

As an exec of one of these companies it makes sense to build relations and mix with your competition, especially when they're all at the same event. Better to build rather than burn bridges. Also these execs would be thinking of themselves, who knows when one may decide to jump ship to a competitor. It's a big boys club at the top and you have to be a player to stay there.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    They probably argued about f2p vrs p2p...it's all we ever talk about :)
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    given the confines of polite conversation, the tendencies towards peen comparisons amongst most management, the political machinations of merely talking gaming w/o revealing what you're up to: i would guess it was a pretty boring conversation.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Murugan

Your theory is that Trion and Blizzard are abandoning all their MMORPG projects to grovel at the feet of John Smedley god of broken promises, king of twitter trolls.

yes I believe you are probably spot on, they know the SECRET about EQNext and they are visiting Jesus Christ in the manger to praise him and lay gifts at his feet.

Must be having a Miss Cleo Moment! Exactly what "theory" are you talking about?

Talk about going off on a tangent.

On that note, DO NOT MAKE YOUR VIEW MY VIEW! Especially when your assertion of my view is DEAD WRONG!

Thanks!image

On that note, DO NOT MAKE YOUR VIEW MY VIEW! Especially when your assertion of my view is DEAD WRONG!

Thanks!image

Okay then what does this mean:

Is Trion the next to join the already big powerhouse? What does that mean for mmorpg gaming? Is EQNext really it? Where does Trion fit

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    For all we know they were talking about the Stanley Cup finals and Kate Upton's latest swimsuit spread.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

All the company's you mentioned I lost faith in long ago... They might be larger companies but they are not putting out quality product any more. UBISoft is my next hope.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301

....Or they could be just a couple of dudes, that like to have a few while at a conference. Lord knows whenever I get to go away for 'Work' at a conference and represent my company, I represent in every aspect which usually involves getting drunk with other people. Sure some shop talk is par for the course...

Thanks!image

Is Trion the next to join the already big powerhouse? What does that mean for mmorpg gaming? Is EQNext really it? Where does Trion fit

You can always Google it. Also selective reading/comprehension does not help your case. Perhaps reading the entire post rather than part of it would help.

Those are all individual questions that I asked myself. They are not some form of mass collective from your own view. Like I said, you need to read the entire post instead of just part of it.

I did ask the members here one question though. Which you as of yet did not answer. But would rather go on a tirade about questions I ask myself.

Thanks!image

You can always Google it. Also selective reading/comprehension does not help your case. Perhaps reading the entire post rather than part of it would help.

Those are all individual questions that I asked myself. They are not some form of mass collective from your own view. Like I said, you need to read the entire post instead of just part of it.

I did ask the members here one question though. Which you as of yet did not answer. But would rather go on a tirade about questions I ask myself.

This is an episode of south park.  Dances with Smurfs.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e13-dances-with-smurfs

Stan: What the hell do you think you're doing?

Cartman: A book signing.

Stan: I read through your book it is 540 pages of you ripping on Wendy and calling her a slut.

Cartman: I do not directly say she is a slut.

Stan (reading from the book): Wendy Testaburger has proven time and time again she will do anything to pleasure her v*&^%&, whether it is the school football team or the janitors on their break Wendy spends her time as president on her knees or on her back taking the ole in-out for hours on end.

Cartman: You didn't read the rest dude!  see "Or does she?"

I"M ASKING QUESTIONS!

In the spirit of your style of debate I want to know why John Smedley would rather get his tits licked than make halfway decent efforts to follow through on his commitments to the development of his company's MMO's?!

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     I'd wager they were discussing ways to maximize profits either by charging similar prices or "how best" to FTP. I'm not sure what the confusion with the above user is, the South Park reference of "asking questions" , has nothing to do with the OP. He never implied, what you think he implied.
    Originally posted by Redemp
     I'd wager they were discussing ways to maximize profits either by charging similar prices or "how best" to FTP. I'm not sure what the confusion with the above user is, the South Park reference of "asking questions" , has nothing to do with the OP. He never implied, what you think he implied.

Saying "what were they talking about, is EQNext really it?"  Is an implication, is it not?

Why would he assume that is what I am wondering, why would Trion and Blizzard have a meeting with SOE to talk about their MMORPG.  Because it is the "Powerhouse of MMO gaming"?  I really doubt that Blizzard would ever take a meeting with SOE out of concern, praise, or anything for an overhyped f2p MMO like EQ Next when they are the industry leader.

So I take offense to the ridiculous fanboy implication that other MMO companies give a s*&%$ about SOE maybe the MMO studio which has a record for delivering on its promises the least out of any other.  They are not exactly the 800 lb gorilla in the room anymore, and they haven't been for a very very very long time.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Saying "what were they talking about, is EQNext really it?"  Is an implication, is it not?

Why would he assume that is what I am wondering, why would Trion and Blizzard have a meeting with SOE to talk about their MMORPG.  Because it is the "Powerhouse of MMO gaming"?  I really doubt that Blizzard would ever take a meeting with SOE out of concern, praise, or anything for an overhyped f2p MMO like EQ Next when they are the industry leader.

So I take offense to the ridiculous fanboy implication that other MMO companies give a s*&%$ about SOE maybe the MMO studio which has a record for delivering on its promises the least out of any other.  They are not exactly the 800 lb gorilla in the room anymore, and they haven't been for a very very very long time.

Nothing in your post is relevant to the topic at hand, he didn't imply that anyone was concerned about EQN, you are incorrect with that assumption. You completely missed the point of the thread, which was ;  Major mmo studio's had lunch, some are already partnered. Questions arising from this discussion could possibly include : How/Is EQN going to be affected? What did they discuss? Is Trion going to partner with B/S/B? Do you find it interesting that major studio's have partnered? ( And / Or had lunch together? ) 

I would understand your ire if his questions in any way implied EQN as the second coming or that any other studio was dropping what it was doing in concern or support of it. As nothing in the OP even begun to imply that everything you have responded has been misguided.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

The wee probably just catching up.  Sure they were all co workers at one point or another. I know though.....reality tends to be boring.  Hmmm let's make something up then. I think blizzard is going to outsource parts of Project Titan to it competitors and then they are going to form a profit sharing cabal together

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

Nothing in your post is relevant to the topic at hand, he didn't imply that anyone was concerned about EQN, you are incorrect with that assumption. You completely missed the point of the thread, which was ;  Major mmo studio's had lunch, some are already partnered. Questions arising from this discussion could possibly include : How/Is EQN going to be affected? What did they discuss? Is Trion going to partner with B/S/B? Do you find it interesting that major studio's have partnered? ( And / Or had lunch together? ) 

I would understand your ire if his questions in any way implied EQN as the second coming or that any other studio was dropping what it was doing in concern or support of it. As nothing in the OP even begun to imply that everything you have responded has been misguided.

He doesn't say that, what he says Is: "Is EQnext really it", implying either that is the reason for the partnership (it's not) or at the very least that EQNext was the topic of discussion.  Also by saying "Is EQ next really it" he implies that naturally readers of this thread would also be thinking they had lunch to talk about EQNext.

He did not say:  "I wonder what they talked about, is it the PS4, I wonder if they talked about if EQ Next would be on the PS4" (talk to Bungie and Blizzard about this, and not their parent company who might actually care?) 

Sony talked to a lot of people during E3 because of the PS4, I doubt EQ Next was the reason for that.

he didn't say how might EQ Next be affected, he said "Did they have lunch to talk about EQNext?"  I'm sorry if you don't read it that way, but I do because that is how he wrote it.  Not "how will EQNext be affected".

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Am I the only one worried they were figuring out that if they had similar charging models they could raise prices?

At the end of he day they are all people with similar lives, families and interests. I bet they were all talking about PS4!

Raise prices? In a F2P trend? I highly doubt it.

He doesn't say that, what he says Is: "Is EQnext really it", implying either that is the reason for the partnership (it's not) or at the very least that EQNext was the topic of discussion.  Also by saying "Is EQ next really it" he implies that naturally readers of this thread would also be thinking they had lunch to talk about EQNext.

He did not say:  "I wonder what they talked about, is it the PS4, I wonder if they talked about if EQ Next would be on the PS4" (talk to Bungie and Blizzard about this, and not their parent company who might actually care?) 

Sony talked to a lot of people during E3 because of the PS4, I doubt EQ Next was the reason for that.

he didn't say how might EQ Next be affected, he said "Did they have lunch to talk about EQNext?"  I'm sorry if you don't read it that way, but I do because that is how he wrote it.  Not "how will EQNext be affected".

To help you with your reading comprehension I am re-posting the paragraph in mention. I am also highlighting your words that are in error(highlighted in red). Before I continue, you are making sentences up. Or you are having comprehension issues. I do not mean that in a bad way. So please do not take it that way.

Here is the paragraph in mention.

Nowhere does it elude to either of the sentences of yours highlighted in red. The question that is of concern should be "what does it mean for mmorpg gaming?".   The question "Is EQnext really it?" is more of a afterthought. As I had just read the E3 article of Best Game at this site.

Now to the tirade you launched  later after I made the original post. Which I will provide for our readers sake(Also highlighted in red). I will also post commentary regarding this.

HERE:

Your theory is that Trion and Blizzard are abandoning all their MMORPG projects to grovel at the feet of John Smedley god of broken promises, king of twitter trolls. There was no theory involved. As I do not know what they talked about. While I do like what Sony and SOE(Had to differentiate as SOE is a subdivision of Sony) are doing. I am in no way claiming any of or part of the language and  semantics you offer towards the subject.

What the heck is up with the religious references?

yes I believe you are probably spot on, they know the SECRET about EQNext and they are visiting Jesus Christ in the manger to praise him and lay gifts at his feet. Again more semantics with religious undertone. That have really no reference towards any of my original post. While quite creative, it still does not offer substance towards the questions asked. You know the questions I asked the readers. Not the questions I asked myself!

Like I said, reading comprehension and not creative writing is much needed. If you feel you need to use my post as a way to let out your feeling towards and about SOE or Sony please do so. But do not get me involved with it.

It is already difficult to actually type this out. As I really see no point in it. Except to defend myself from someone who decided to use his writing skills in a obtuse fashion.

As to the MMORPG Industry. I expect to see many mmorpgs come out this year. I am a gamer, so will most likely try them all. My hopes as well as many others is there will be that one mmorpg that is over the top. If its EQNext(Which has alot of Hype after E3) or  another mmorpg I will be HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!

I hope in your future posts you perhaps will fully read the article instead of trying to micromanage it.

Best Wishes!

<p "="">

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

Fly on the Wall: Buzz, Buzzz

Sony: So how is it going dudes? It is going to be a great year by the way. PS4 saved our arses,  more champers waiter!

Bungie: Hey I am not the waiter! Waiter get us some champers!

Blizzard: Our pet new project just got put into freefall, but yep its going to be a great year.

Trion: We just went F2P as our game cannot support itself any longer, but its been a great year for sure. I heard you were still making huge loses Sony that can't be true right?

Sony: The things you hear! We are back on track this year due to the PS4 even though our stock price was tumbling into a chasm for a couple of years before 2013. That new title of yours Defiance does not seem to have lived up to its expectations? Oh and so true guys it has been a good year and looks like it will just keep getting better!

Trion: Defiance may have had a poor start but its definitely been a good year. I hear EQ Next has been rebooted a few times so far Sony, is that still on track?

Sony: Its been such a good year that we are thinking of putting it on the PS4, that's sure to make PC gamers happy everywhere.

Blizzard: Guys a toast; to a great year, cheers!

If this is a good year, you have to wonder what a bad one would be like?