Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments made by Smedley that point towards open world PVP in Everquest Next

ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

Here are all the various comments made by Smedley to point towards open world PVP in Everquest Next.

On Twitter is the most recent comment. I

In response to:

KareesMoonshade j_smedley A sandbox game needs conflict to drive the economy, which means open-world PvP and risk/reward.

Smedley replied:

salty21db KareesMoonshade I agree wholeheartedly.

An email exchange last month was posted on this forum:

Originally posted by Dauzqul

I've emailed Smed several times over the past 5-6 years. Every now and then I will get a response.

Anyways, I emailed him today about EverQuest "Next" and my hopes for meaningful World PvP - World PvP that isn't your typical "gank on sight and that's it" type PvP, but a deep World PvP System that has some actual purpose.

He responded:

Original Email:

dauzqul <********@gmail.com>

to John

Every game has the same old instanced PvP.

My entire guild literally quit SWTOR after the 2nd week due to the redundant Warzones and Battlegrounds. We're done chasing the carrot on the stick via pvp item rewards. It's not fun anymore.

World PvP with meaning is the only way (on PvP Servers).

Reply:

Smedley, John <*******@soe.sony.com>

to me

you'll be happy man.

I know that this is extremely vague. However, his reply does point to the fact that they are working on a much deeper than usual form of World PvP.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5710942#5710942

Smedley interview quotes that hinted at open world PVP:

"You’ll be able to destroy, massive, massive parts of this world, almost all of it. You can light the forest on fire; we have ambition with this thing. We want it to be something where the world you log into, might not be the world you log into in five days. What you saw in WoW’s Cataclysm could take place because someone cast a spell that is powerful enough to do something major."

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30916&storypage=2

"We're talking about changing the nature of the world around it so that there's a lot more to do "in between" expansions. A good example, but a very narrow example, is battlegrounds in WoW or EQII, where players get bored doing it over and over again. But imagine the entire world as part of the interaction."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

"We want them to… Not make their own fun. We’re going to make our games amazingly fun. We want them to be able to make things we didn’t think of fun. That’s really what it is. I mentioned Hulkageddon, I love that in EVE. That’s just players putting bounties on something. It’s nothing. That’s all it is. But that’s as fun as anything in EVE. More fun if you ask me. It’s amazingly fun."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/13/planetside-2-eq-next-and-soes-player-driven-future/

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I have no doubts there be open world PvP atleast on PvP servers i would aslo bet they have pvE servers for those who dont wanna PvP, I hope they dont have an instanced pvp well for that matter i hope they have 0 instances at all xcept maybe housing.
  • BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554
    Ice vortex thanks for pulling all this together. Getting harder and harder for people to deny
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Bottom line is we simply don't know what's in store for EQN until it's revealed. Everything before that is just speculation.

Remember when Smed said Permadeath was cool ? Turned out he was only joking then.

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

We do know free to play and cash shop

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012

I hope EverQest Next does well.  I have been watching for this game for a long time.  Though hearing Open world PvP I personally will not play it.  Call me Carebear or what ever, I did old school UO before there was Tram.  It was fun and took a lot of my time.  I just do not have the time required now to play this style of game and I will not and choose not to try to change it.  People who like this game should be allowed to play it and want to play it as its being designed.  

Best of Luck EQN.  :)   Maybe I will get back into these type of hard core games in 30 years when I am retired and have nothing else to do.  

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    I would guess they will have a highsec/lowsec/nullsec setup similar to EVE. Maybe with factions thrown in the mix.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Open world PvP is fine, so long as there is a way to flag it on/off.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ZergyZergy Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Wonder if it'll be like in SWG, stay neutral if you don't want to pvp, or join a faction and then either be covert or overt, was a great system imo.
  • SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548
    PvP will be an important part of the game that is for sure, it isn't going to be like EQ1 or EQ2.
    I feel like we're just going around in circles and the people who are in denial about the PVP won't believe it's happening until someone kills them and burns their village to the ground.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Why would SoE exclude a larger portion of players that expect PvE? Because Smed likes EvE? He's not going to do that. I like PvP too, more and more lately, but expecting EQN to be strictly open world PvP is unreasonable.

The biggest hope is that PvP is meaningful on the servers that have it. Or the phase that has it...

Per the quotes, the first has no indication of PvP or PvE just awesomeness that our attacks no matter the target can have effects on the world around us. The second quote is the most interesting. Battlegrounds that are the whole world? That sounds like being able to phase into the PvP server or "persistent battleground" from where you are in real time. I'm honestly not sure I would like that and would rather have PvP areas mixed with PvP on the same world.

The quotes and twitter smiles can only be taken so seriously.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    *mixed with PvE areas.

See, liking PvP more and more lately :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    I would guess they will have a highsec/lowsec/nullsec setup similar to EVE. Maybe with factions thrown in the mix.

I agree.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

They'll have pvp servers and they'll have pve servers. Same as eq1, eq2, etc. Or they'll do the overt/covert system like swg. It's not going to be wide free open world pvp with no kind of consent system... that's game suicide.

Shadus

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Why would SoE exclude a larger portion of players that expect PvE? Because Smed likes EvE? He's not going to do that. I like PvP too, more and more lately, but expecting EQN to be strictly open world PvP is unreasonable.

The biggest hope is that PvP is meaningful on the servers that have it. Or the phase that has it...

Per the quotes, the first has no indication of PvP or PvE just awesomeness that our attacks no matter the target can have effects on the world around us. The second quote is the most interesting. Battlegrounds that are the whole world? That sounds like being able to phase into the PvP server or "persistent battleground" from where you are in real time. I'm honestly not sure I would like that and would rather have PvP areas mixed with PvP on the same world.

The quotes and twitter smiles can only be taken so seriously.

I agree with your assessment. I doubt that SoE would outright just disregard a very large portion of a potential customer base by having a strict open world pvp game. I could see them having different rulesets for different servers. If PvP is to be a key element of the game, then they'll need to put in some form of random elements into a pve server structure. If we're able to let's say build our own home in the middle of the woods, there has to be some element of risk involved.

PvP server risks are pretty obvious. If your house is discovered, then there is a chance that those will either want to destroy what you built, or fight you for resource and claim them for their own.

On a PvE oriented server, you either can have a decay system, so you are required to maintain your property, or you can have random npc hostile raids that you have to defend from.

Mind you, the pve specific rules can always be applied to pvp rules as an added layer of complexity.

Bah, speculation is fun, but frustrating as well. We're in wait and see mode.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Zergy
    Wonder if it'll be like in SWG, stay neutral if you don't want to pvp, or join a faction and then either be covert or overt, was a great system imo.

Its either going to be this (which worked extremely well, even though SWG was a PvE game at heart there was some epic PvP battling going on) or something that blurs the lines between PvP and PvE

By having a SWG like system you typically keep out the trash too.  Its not PvPers in general that are community ruiners, its the type that flock to a game to be dicks.  Those dicks are far less likely to come if they cant gank those who dont want to be ganked.

• KatlaOdindottirKatlaOdindottir Member Posts: 144
    Any news on looting system? Tab targetting?

www.daneslaw.com

@GamerKurisu

Awaiting Darkfall Unholy Wars

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Everquest and World PVP just does not sound right together.

Everquest was never about PVP.You DID have conflicting races,like a human couldnt really go to Neriak,home of the Dark Elves.But it only went as far as NPC aggro,you didnt have Human and Dark Elf players fighting each other.You ALWAYS cooperated toward the same goals when it came to playing the game..

Unless they do like a Guild Wars 2 or DAOC style of PVP,where they relegate it all in an instance for plain shits n giggles.Or create a frontier like area where once you go past a gate,youre open game.

Or they just keep it simple and make open PVP servers..

Other than that,I cant picture it.To me its like oil and water.

Originally posted by KatlaOdindottir
    Any news on looting system? Tab targetting?

"I also said in there that it will still be very familiar to you, but what I meant by that statement is that we're changing what an MMO is. MMO means something now, and it means the same thing to everybody because it's the same game. EverQuest, WoW, SWTOR all use the same core loot gameplay, which is kill stuff, get reward, get loot, level up. Very few games have broken out of that mold. One or two have. EVE Online is a great example; it's not standard level-based gameplay, although I'm not saying we're going to a big skill-based system. You're still going to recognize the roleplaying game heritage in it. In EverQuest Next, the world itself is a part of the game. What is the world in these other games? It's a simple backdrop. It's nothing. We are changing that greatly. We're changing what AI is in these games to a degree that we're going to bring life to the world. That to us is the essence of the change that we're making."

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/10/20/soe-live-2012-john-smedley-on-eq-next-and-soes-future/

Originally posted by Shadus

They'll have pvp servers and they'll have pve servers. Same as eq1, eq2, etc. Or they'll do the overt/covert system like swg. It's not going to be wide free open world pvp with no kind of consent system... that's game suicide.

Tell that to Planetside 2.

Originally posted by Bidwood

Does Planetside 2 have a legion of solely  pve fans that span over a decade?

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Originally posted by Sovrath

When Smedley says EQNext will be completely different than EQ1/EQ2 and it is not suppose to replace either, what makes you think they want to cater to those fanbases?

planetside 2 proves there is a lot of money in open world pvp games. SOE will find a massive market easily.

Just look at Smedley's quote. He is basically saying the game will be harsh and if you don't like it you can go elsewhere.

And the dev team at e3 said this will be different because they didn't want to just create another version of the games they made in the past.

There's another quote somewhere about how the traditional mmo model they helped create isn't going to cut it anymore and they need to do something radically different.

They also suggested this is not going to replace or damage the population of EQ1 or EQ2 because again it is a very different game. People need to stop looking at this as EQ 1-2 or EQ3. It is neither. It is a sandbox game with open world pvp as one of the pillars that makes the game work. Many of us already intuited this is necessary to achieve all the things the devs have talked about up until now. Smedleys recent twitter activity gas really reinforced that.
  • WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    planetside 2 proves there is a lot of money in open world pvp games. SOE will find a massive market easily.

Planetside is an FPS.

There are no successful fantasy PVP MMO.

Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Sovrath

When Smedley says EQNext will be completely different than EQ1/EQ2 and it is not suppose to replace either, what makes you think they want to cater to those fanbases?

How does making a different game mean they won't cater to their fanbases?

They can cater to their fanbases and still bring them a new, expanded experience.

That's the problem with people, a few people say a few things and ONCE AGAIN the players imbue it with their own take on the matter.

This site is so lousy with this type of thinking. and yet, once again, come August 2nd, the full extent of what the game will bring will be announced and people will start crying foul and liar and a whole slew of things and it wont' be any one's fault but there own.

I've said it and a few others have said it: SMED is taken with EVE. Is EVE like EQ or EQ2? No. I see a strong possibility that EQ Next will have similarities allowing for the different play styles to live side by side.

And as I've said, I'll eat my hat if it's a pure pvp game. But it won't be.

And we'll know soon.