Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    MS will screw xbox1 owners another way.   Backing down on DRM doesn't cut it, they will just add another feature to make it difficult to sell and buy second hand games. Its all about damage limitation ensuring they get better sales over Sony, not about listening to consumers, once they sold their units they got you.
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Microsoft will digg for new ways to screw their customers.
    Dont think for a second this company can be trusted.

Sony all the way.

Did you just say Sony can be trusted?   ...LOL

Seriously, you guys got some serious issues. Even when Microsoft gives you what you want, you give them no credit at all. I guess haters gunna hate.

Well there is a lot to hate. The fact that Microsoft even thought their initial pitch of the Xbox 1 was acceptable in any way. Their backtrack was just to try and save their new console from losing out to the competition. If they can get it THAT wrong once. They can do so again. And judging their history they likely will. 

Sony started it, and the patent was going to be just tie the game to your PSN account, and not be able to trade games in at all or share with friends, and Xbox ONE policy was going to be better than PS4, but they just backed out after seeing the lynching MS was getting - MS: We have DRM, Fans: Boo!, Sony: We support used games, Fans: Sony rules, MS sucks.

I guess Sonys plan to get more sales worked.

MS will not bother with this again, like double jeopardy, but Sony might do it still, and they will not get as much anger either

Plus Sony have something else nice in the works too

Being a Xbox owner since the original Xbox, I have never been screwed by MS at all, and they always do the right thing in the end, Sony on the other hand have screwed the Playstation owners:

• Updating PSP to remove homebrew possibilities
    • EU not getting HDDs for PS2s
    • Updating PS3s to remove Linux functionaility after approving it inititially making people who bought the machine just for that a waste of money.
    • Sonys behaviour went so far that a group called Anonymous went up against Sony, and the network was hacked in 2011 compromising peoples accounts and payment details
    MS makes mistakes but always corrects them (like here) or suffers a loss from it, like RROD replacing/repairing consoles free of charge past warranty. Sony do not do these things as they do not have the capital to do so, all they do is bow before you in great shame.

Sorry, Sony has the capital they just didn't implement these things. One company is pretty intelligent while the other isn't. 

Sony has always had the better hardware and made the better deals. It's why even releasing a year after Xbox 360 and being higher priced that still outsold the 360 in the long run. 

Microsoft likes to think customers will just take it. Win8 sells have been awful. Xbox 360 couldn't even beat the PS3 with all the advantages it had in the beginning. If they listened to their target audience from the start they could avoid a lot of the fallout that they continue to bring on themselves. 

I don't think Sony is "For the gamer" but they do have good business sense. They know pissed off gamers aren't likely to open their wallet for them, and not only that but news travels fast when it comes to games and nothing stays secret for very long. 

As far as your Anonymous comments, with the Xbox One Microsoft went far beyond everything Sony has done across all of its products. 

The Privacy issues, the violation of consumer rights, and so much more have painted a great big bullseye on Microsofts back. What Sony did was considered minor by most and many did not support Anonymous, how many would side with Microsoft should Anonymous attack the Xbox Live servers over issues with the Xbox One especially if the DRM policy hadn't changed?

Sony have the capitol to do whatever but not enough to go in to a loss to fix their mistakes, which MS have done. Did Sony repair consoles when the PS3 got the yellow light? MS did with Xboxs RROD. They also sold the original Xbox at a loss, and gave out a free power cord with breaker switch. Now they have to undo all their work with xbox ONE. I doubt Sony would have undone the patent if they announced their plans for blocking used games before MS, because it would have been too much work and finance to undo it all

Sony did not undo any of the PSP or PS3 updates.

Win 8 has nothing to do with consoles, MS are risky when it comes to PCs and OS, but consoles, they always end up doing the right thing in the end, and the Xbox 360 was the main console that devs wrote for, as there are hardly any games that took advantage of the PS3s better hardware, as the devs just ported the Xbox 360 version. PS3 has only been shining the last year or so, as MS look to Xbox ONE, the first six years was Xbox 360 which shined the most.

PS3 > PS4 for several more years too, like the PS2 carried on better than PS3 for a while, as the PS4 had no exclusives worth worrying about yet - PS4 interested me with 0 games, Xbox ONE interested with 9 plus the multiplatform ones. The reason being is because MS has more money and able to acquire more exclusives. Sony can not afford it

The only thing MS can be accused of is hogging the market, but I am not going to get a PS4 so it just looks pretty. The PS3 for me was mostly good for Blu Ray, I have hardly played any games on it at all. Considering I have the PS3 for that still, and probably the Xbox ONE, there will be little to no reason to get PS4, and I might even sell the PS3 to make room for Xbox ONE.

MS didn't fix the RROD, they removed the indicator the issue persisted for many they just didn't see the red ring lol. 

In any case, if you want to go for an Xbox One then be my guest but don't confuse preference or personal feelings with fact. 

The fact of the matter is that Sony has always come out on top in the console wars against Microsoft (Nintendo has been the overall winner but the Wii U doesn't look like it will continue that trend). 

Without even announcing all of their Exclusives Sony has more. Yes, thats right Sony hasn't even made all of their announcements yet. More announcements are coming from the upcoming Sony event :) (Keep in mind this is in regards to consoles). 

You can say all you want that the PS3 > PS4 but that has yet to be decided just as this recent move for the Xbox One will be enough to pull it out of the fire is undecided. 

The above are simply facts. 

MS may have more money but they do not have more exclusives lol... as I said the PS4 has more announced exclusives than the Xbox One as is and they haven't even finished with their reveals. Expect more in August lol... 

The only market MS is hogging is the OS market. 

I'm sorry, I do appreciate the laughs but... unless you want to discuss the facts of the matter I'm out. I'm not going to debate someones opinion especially when they seem to want to back it up with false statements. 

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

I am not getting a PS4 because it had no games for me. If they did not change this policy then I would have gotten no console. It is the games that won me over for Xbox ONE. If I ended up getting a PS4 then I would be an idiot - Lets go buy a PS4 to play no games on it, only to stick it to MS. The Xbox ONE has 9 exclusives that I like the look of, but 0 PS4 ones, plus then there are the multiplatform games - that is the most any new console has offered. I will get a PS4 when they put some games I want.

In some ways it was good for gamers. You could share games with other people, and reduce the number of games to buy, sharing with one other person, you could buy just half the number of games you want - you buy 5 games, and then your friend buys 5 games, and you both have 10 games to play, now you both have to go and buy 10 games each, so that it is 20 games sold and not 10. And then they still allowed you to trade them in, although not the digital downloaded games, but you could still share them. Now the disc has to be in the drive, and can not share downloaded games = more sales to Microsoft.

Their policies was not as bad as PC DRM, but better the devil you know (the same as what it is now), and it will keep the Xbox ONE has a retro console in 30 years time.

You are aware that MS has had two conferences and Sony has only had one so far aren't you? Plus.. most of those XB1 games won't be out until fall 2014, they will not be there for launch. Sony showed their launch games. MS showed almost everything they've got.

There are enough for launch still, PS4 still zero. Enough to get a Xbox ONE at launch, and ignore PS4 for longer. Even with DRM I was tempted.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

I am not getting a PS4 because it had no games for me. If they did not change this policy then I would have gotten no console. It is the games that won me over for Xbox ONE. If I ended up getting a PS4 then I would be an idiot - Lets go buy a PS4 to play no games on it, only to stick it to MS. The Xbox ONE has 9 exclusives that I like the look of, but 0 PS4 ones, plus then there are the multiplatform games - that is the most any new console has offered. I will get a PS4 when they put some games I want.

In some ways it was good for gamers. You could share games with other people, and reduce the number of games to buy, sharing with one other person, you could buy just half the number of games you want - you buy 5 games, and then your friend buys 5 games, and you both have 10 games to play, now you both have to go and buy 10 games each, so that it is 20 games sold and not 10. And then they still allowed you to trade them in, although not the digital downloaded games, but you could still share them. Now the disc has to be in the drive, and can not share downloaded games = more sales to Microsoft.

Their policies was not as bad as PC DRM, but better the devil you know (the same as what it is now), and it will keep the Xbox ONE has a retro console in 30 years time.

You are aware that MS has had two conferences and Sony has only had one so far aren't you? Plus.. most of those XB1 games won't be out until fall 2014, they will not be there for launch. Sony showed their launch games. MS showed almost everything they've got.

There are enough for launch still, PS4 still zero. Enough to get a Xbox ONE at launch, and ignore PS4 for longer. Even with DRM I was tempted.

None the xbox exclusives really do it for me. TBH, I'm mostly interested in Destiny and The Division and I'd rather go with the more powerful system if those games don't come to PC. Spark looked interesting but it's not something I'd sit and play for ages.. just something I might like to try once and then be done with it.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    MS will screw xbox1 owners another way.   Backing down on DRM doesn't cut it, they will just add another feature to make it difficult to sell and buy second hand games. Its all about damage limitation ensuring they get better sales over Sony, not about listening to consumers, once they sold their units they got you.
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy
    Originally posted by Adalwulff
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Microsoft will digg for new ways to screw their customers.
    Dont think for a second this company can be trusted.

Sony all the way.

Did you just say Sony can be trusted?   ...LOL

Seriously, you guys got some serious issues. Even when Microsoft gives you what you want, you give them no credit at all. I guess haters gunna hate.

Well there is a lot to hate. The fact that Microsoft even thought their initial pitch of the Xbox 1 was acceptable in any way. Their backtrack was just to try and save their new console from losing out to the competition. If they can get it THAT wrong once. They can do so again. And judging their history they likely will. 

Sony started it, and the patent was going to be just tie the game to your PSN account, and not be able to trade games in at all or share with friends, and Xbox ONE policy was going to be better than PS4, but they just backed out after seeing the lynching MS was getting - MS: We have DRM, Fans: Boo!, Sony: We support used games, Fans: Sony rules, MS sucks.

I guess Sonys plan to get more sales worked.

MS will not bother with this again, like double jeopardy, but Sony might do it still, and they will not get as much anger either

Plus Sony have something else nice in the works too

Being a Xbox owner since the original Xbox, I have never been screwed by MS at all, and they always do the right thing in the end, Sony on the other hand have screwed the Playstation owners:

• Updating PSP to remove homebrew possibilities
    • EU not getting HDDs for PS2s
    • Updating PS3s to remove Linux functionaility after approving it inititially making people who bought the machine just for that a waste of money.
    • Sonys behaviour went so far that a group called Anonymous went up against Sony, and the network was hacked in 2011 compromising peoples accounts and payment details
    MS makes mistakes but always corrects them (like here) or suffers a loss from it, like RROD replacing/repairing consoles free of charge past warranty. Sony do not do these things as they do not have the capital to do so, all they do is bow before you in great shame.

Sorry, Sony has the capital they just didn't implement these things. One company is pretty intelligent while the other isn't. 

Sony has always had the better hardware and made the better deals. It's why even releasing a year after Xbox 360 and being higher priced that still outsold the 360 in the long run. 

Microsoft likes to think customers will just take it. Win8 sells have been awful. Xbox 360 couldn't even beat the PS3 with all the advantages it had in the beginning. If they listened to their target audience from the start they could avoid a lot of the fallout that they continue to bring on themselves. 

I don't think Sony is "For the gamer" but they do have good business sense. They know pissed off gamers aren't likely to open their wallet for them, and not only that but news travels fast when it comes to games and nothing stays secret for very long. 

As far as your Anonymous comments, with the Xbox One Microsoft went far beyond everything Sony has done across all of its products. 

The Privacy issues, the violation of consumer rights, and so much more have painted a great big bullseye on Microsofts back. What Sony did was considered minor by most and many did not support Anonymous, how many would side with Microsoft should Anonymous attack the Xbox Live servers over issues with the Xbox One especially if the DRM policy hadn't changed?

Sony have the capitol to do whatever but not enough to go in to a loss to fix their mistakes, which MS have done. Did Sony repair consoles when the PS3 got the yellow light? MS did with Xboxs RROD. They also sold the original Xbox at a loss, and gave out a free power cord with breaker switch. Now they have to undo all their work with xbox ONE. I doubt Sony would have undone the patent if they announced their plans for blocking used games before MS, because it would have been too much work and finance to undo it all

Sony did not undo any of the PSP or PS3 updates.

Win 8 has nothing to do with consoles, MS are risky when it comes to PCs and OS, but consoles, they always end up doing the right thing in the end, and the Xbox 360 was the main console that devs wrote for, as there are hardly any games that took advantage of the PS3s better hardware, as the devs just ported the Xbox 360 version. PS3 has only been shining the last year or so, as MS look to Xbox ONE, the first six years was Xbox 360 which shined the most.

PS3 > PS4 for several more years too, like the PS2 carried on better than PS3 for a while, as the PS4 had no exclusives worth worrying about yet - PS4 interested me with 0 games, Xbox ONE interested with 9 plus the multiplatform ones. The reason being is because MS has more money and able to acquire more exclusives. Sony can not afford it

The only thing MS can be accused of is hogging the market, but I am not going to get a PS4 so it just looks pretty. The PS3 for me was mostly good for Blu Ray, I have hardly played any games on it at all. Considering I have the PS3 for that still, and probably the Xbox ONE, there will be little to no reason to get PS4, and I might even sell the PS3 to make room for Xbox ONE.

MS didn't fix the RROD, they removed the indicator the issue persisted for many they just didn't see the red ring lol. 

In any case, if you want to go for an Xbox One then be my guest but don't confuse preference or personal feelings with fact. 

The fact of the matter is that Sony has always come out on top in the console wars against Microsoft (Nintendo has been the overall winner but the Wii U doesn't look like it will continue that trend). 

Without even announcing all of their Exclusives Sony has more. Yes, thats right Sony hasn't even made all of their announcements yet. More announcements are coming from the upcoming Sony event :) 

You can say all you want that the PS3 > PS4 but that has yet to be decided just as this recent move for the Xbox One will be enough to pull it out of the fire is undecided. 

The above are simply facts. 

MS may have more money but they do not have more exclusives lol... as I said the PS4 has more announced exclusives than the Xbox One as is and they haven't even finished with their reveals. Expect more in August lol... 

The only market MS is hogging is the OS market. 

I'm sorry, I do appreciate the laughs but... unless you want to discuss the facts of the matter I'm out. I'm not going to debate someones opinion especially when they seem to want to back it up with false statements. 

I am choosing Xbox ONE because of FACT and not personal feelings.

I started with PS2, and I was even in the official beta testing of online PS2 games, and I was reluctant with getting Xbox, and even bought Obi-Wan first before Halo, but I have pleased with what MS have done with the Xbox, and they keep hitting the right notes with me with what they do. Sony and the Playstation have not. fact is Xbox did online gaming far better than Playstation do.

I hate green, and I like Blue, I also think the Xbox 360 is not very well designed hardware and software (OS) wise vs PS3 but the Xbox has more games I like, and MS does well to it owners.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Sorry to burst Your bubble, but Sony was actually the one that started it all! With DRM and no second hand sale.

There was a big uproar and backlash in the media about it in the months towards the PS4 actual announcement and Sony kept silent and didn´t say anything about it.

Then Microsoft announced the XBOX One, came With 1 time per day online and secondhand game sell restrictions, causing anger and generating a backlash.

And lo and behold.... suddenly Sony jumped on the "Microsoft is Evil" bandwagon, dishing their initial plans, saying you can always play offline, no secondhand sale restrictions on PS4, etc.

And ofcourse.... now Microsoft had no Choice but to abandon those plans as well.

This to the utmost displeasure of game giants like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc who are actually the ones behind this all who tried to push the Console manufacturers to come up with all this stuff to stop pirating, second hand sales, etc.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Mandatory Kinect is still there.  Nuff said.
    Originally posted by Sulaa

And you think you don´t need the PS Move camera to make "full" use of the console?

Come on now! Who is kididng who!  It´s nothing but a marketing ploy by Sony to undercut the XBOX One.

At least Microsoft is honest and just sell the XBOX One + Kinect as a single package.

If you can wait a few months.... prices will come Down by a 100 bucks. Always has, always will.

I have the XBOX 360 and I will wait at least a couple months after XBOX One launch before buying one.

Most upcoming PS4/XB1 games won´t release before Q2 2014 anyway.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Sorry to burst Your bubble, but Sony was actually the one that started it all! With DRM and no second hand sale.

There was a big uproar and backlash in the media about it in the months towards the PS4 actual announcement and Sony kept silent and didn´t say anything about it.

Then Microsoft announced the XBOX One, came With 1 time per day online and secondhand game sell restrictions, causing anger and generating a backlash.

And lo and behold.... suddenly Sony jumped on the "Microsoft is Evil" bandwagon, dishing their initial plans, saying you can always play offline, no secondhand sale restrictions on PS4, etc.

And ofcourse.... now Microsoft had no Choice but to abandon those plans as well.

This to the utmost displeasure of game giants like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc who are actually the ones behind this all who tried to push the Console manufacturers to come up with all this stuff to stop pirating, second hand sales, etc.

Sony made the announcement they weren't adding the DRM almost right after filing the patent. The backlash was long before E3 and Sony cleared things up long before Microsoft announced its DRM. Just wanted to clear that up. They didn't jump on the bandwagon, they were already put there when fans were in an uproar over them simply filing the patent lol. 

And you think you don´t need the PS Move camera to make "full" use of the console?

Come on now! Who is kididng who!  It´s nothing but a marketing ploy by Sony to undercut the XBOX One.

At least Microsoft is honest and just sell the XBOX One + Kinect as a single package.

If you can wait a few months.... prices will come Down by a 100 bucks. Always has, always will.

I have the XBOX 360 and I will wait at least a couple months after XBOX One launch before buying one.

There is a difference between needing a PS move camera to make "full" use of the console vs. a mandatory kinect. I can play at least most games without the camera on the PS4. I can't play any games without the Kinect. Difference is pretty clear. 

Even with the PS Move camera the PS4 comes out cheaper by about $50. 

You are correct, prices will come down on both consoles... Always has and always will. I'm not sure how that makes the Xbox One cheaper though considering both consoles will see a price drop. 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

No you don't need a move to make "full" use of the console. The sales figures of the move and kinect indicate that there are not very many people  interested in it. Sure the Wii sold well because of the technology but the novelty has wore off. It doesn't make sense to force it on everyone and make your console more expensive, when there is so little interest in it.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I don't really like dance games so getting Kinnect or Sony's Move wasnt really on the cards. Not having to have either one is oddly enough, a positive feature, and being forced to have kinnect a negative one, its not like their giving the things away for free, but charging for something most people neither want nor need, and the people who do probably already have a kinnect device for their Xbox 360's, pretty sure they would rather use the one they already bought than be forced to buy yet another kinnect.

Its a good thing that Microsoft have backtracked on most of the limitations they had planned for the Xbone, but its still too little, and its looking like it might very well be too late also, so while there may well be some die hard Xbox fans out there, i don't think the general populace are really that bothered about brand names, and Sony do look to have the more powerful console, at least for gamers, which at the end of the day, is what will sell the things.

This is a race that Microsoft has already lost, the only question really is how much Microsoft are willing to do to make their console a closer 'second place' rather than a rank outsider like the Wii U.

Originally posted by Xzen
    when there is so little interest in it.

Says who? As I have seen the Complete opposite.

The XBOX360 + Kinect packages were actually one of the better selling combo packs.

Sony was just very late With the Move camera on PS3 and the only real interesting games they have, are the Book of Spells series. Which are actually really fun games for the kids.

It´s a fairly New Technology for Consoles, so sadly we haven´t seen too many quality games yet, but still there are some really good Kinect games on XBOX360 that are blast to play. Especially for families with kids. Or just People that throw home parties.

So maybe for late teenagers the Kinect and Move might not be as hot and blowing everyone to hell in FPS games.

The late teenager age Group is no longer the primary target for Console manufacturers.

Especially With the Nintendo Wii, the consoles have gained a more dominant position in the Family domain.

And also, don´t just dish out the Kinect camera.... as it´s going to play an important role With the upcoming "Illumi room" Tech Microsoft is working on.

Says who? As I have seen the Complete opposite.

The XBOX360 + Kinect packages were actually one of the better selling combo packs.

Sony was just very late With the Move camera on PS3 and the only real interesting games they have, are the Book of Spells series. Which are actually really fun games for the kids.

It´s a fairly New Technology for Consoles, so sadly we haven´t seen too many quality games yet, but still there are some really good Kinect games on XBOX360 that are blast to play. Especially for families with kids. Or just People that throw home parties.

So maybe for late teenagers the Kinect and Move might not be as hot and blowing everyone to hell in FPS games.

The late teenager age Group is no longer the primary target for Console manufacturers.

Especially With the Nintendo Wii, the consoles have gained a more dominant position in the Family domain.

And also, don´t just dish out the Kinect camera.... as it´s going to play an important role With the upcoming "Illumi room" Tech Microsoft is working on.

lol, the Illumiroom has already had less appeal than the Kinect. Its a neat gimmick but one that will be distracting and irritating in the long run. That seems to be the buzz about it anyway and I share the opinion. 

A VR helmet or visor would be a better investment and even that is really a gimmick that hasn't caught on. 

Sony made the announcement they weren't adding the DRM almost right after filing the patent. The backlash was long before E3 and Sony cleared things up long before Microsoft announced its DRM. Just wanted to clear that up. They didn't jump on the bandwagon, they were already put there when fans were in an uproar over them simply filing the patent lol. 

Sony never cleared anything up. Sony say they will still support used games, but so did MS with their policy - by trading in games at participating retailers, then other people buy those used games.

It is now clear that MS will not touch used games with a barge pole, but it is not clear that Sony has backed off this completely. Even if they have, what makes them not likely to use the patent at a later date compared to Microsoft? Sony have a history (PSP with homebrew removal and PS3 with Linux removal) of giving owners something from launch and then later taking it away, whereas MS have not.

It just seems that MS is getting unreasonable hate.

At the end of the day I will just get which ever console has the most games (that interest me), and that currently is Xbox ONE, and that is what will in the end drive which console leads.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Xbox One is probably the most contradicting console that ever came out (excluding console - addons like the virtual boy).

It is priced towards the 'hardcore gamer' market but comes with Kinect that doesn't appeal to the hardcore gamers.

It had the 24 hour 'Call MS' that enabled the Family Sharing and alienated a lot of Xbox 360 users who are now on the PS4 side.

THEN they reverse the 24 hour 'Call MS' and disables the Family Sharing feature; screwing the guys that wanted those features and was sticking with Xbox One.

It is essentially a 'lesser PS4 that's $100 more expensive and charges to use NetFlix on it'.

The console just doesn't make sense.

Sides I can see MS doing a 'Xbox One 1.1 Update' where the 24 hour 'Call MS' comes back.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by thunderc

O PLEASEEEE...... Dont even try to compare Steam to Micro$$$$oft. Steam runs insane sales all the  time practically giving games away with -75% off sales, Don't sit here and insult everyone's intelligence by claiming Microcrap would do the same. Steam's business model works because they treat the Gamer with respect , Microsoft does not.

You really think those sales are about the gamer? You do realize how much they're making off those sales considering the rate at which most of those products would be selling otherwise (at full price)?

No he doesn't and he probably thinks he owns his steam games. Which we don't. I have over a 100 steam games that I don't own and they can take them and anytime and if the publisher/dev removes the license from steam then you lose the game.

Just so you guys know.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/01/thought-do-we-own-our-steam-games/

This is a little late.  I am behind in reading this thread, but i wanted to respond to this post.  You are incorrect, I own games on steam that have been pulled by the publisher/dev, and I still own and can still uninstall and reinstall those games.  People are just unable to purchase them.

• MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by jpnz

Xbox One is probably the most contradicting console that ever came out (excluding console - addons like the virtual boy).

It is priced towards the 'hardcore gamer' market but comes with Kinect that doesn't appeal to the hardcore gamers.

It had the 24 hour 'Call MS' that enabled the Family Sharing and alienated a lot of Xbox 360 users who are now on the PS4 side.

THEN they reverse the 24 hour 'Call MS' and disables the Family Sharing feature; screwing the guys that wanted those features and was sticking with Xbox One.

It is essentially a 'lesser PS4 that's $100 more expensive and charges to use NetFlix on it'.

The console just doesn't make sense.

Sides I can see MS doing a 'Xbox One 1.1 Update' where the 24 hour 'Call MS' comes back.

Ummm, I don't see anything that says they are removed the 24 hour "CALL MS" as you call it. There is no check for DISK BASED GAMES, but no where does it say it has been removed for things like the family sharing or installed games. So, basically Microsoft is still doing what they said, but has finally spun it so it sounds good, something they should have done at E3. So those who want to play offline can 'with the disk' but if you want to install everything, or use your 'family game archive' then you have to call 'home' but well, you'll have to be online for this ANYWAY, so what's the big deal?

*EDIT* Ok so the news bit I got wasnt the same quote as the one at the start of this post...The one I read just said they had gotten rid of the DRM on disk games, but said nothing about removing the sharing ability...which sucks. So, because of all the whiney "Whaa I want to be able to pirate my game still" people, the cool "Family sharing of games' has been removed.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

None the xbox exclusives really do it for me. TBH, I'm mostly interested in Destiny and The Division and I'd rather go with the more powerful system if those games don't come to PC. Spark looked interesting but it's not something I'd sit and play for ages.. just something I might like to try once and then be done with it.

Spark isn't exclusive.  http://www.joinprojectspark.com  You can play it on a 360 and "Windows 8" (which I would assume means PC).

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Milander
    Originally posted by jpnz Xbox One is probably the most contradicting console that ever came out (excluding console - addons like the virtual boy). It is priced towards the 'hardcore gamer' market but comes with Kinect that doesn't appeal to the hardcore gamers. It had the 24 hour 'Call MS' that enabled the Family Sharing and alienated a lot of Xbox 360 users who are now on the PS4 side. THEN they reverse the 24 hour 'Call MS' and disables the Family Sharing feature; screwing the guys that wanted those features and was sticking with Xbox One. It is essentially a 'lesser PS4 that's $100 more expensive and charges to use NetFlix on it'.   The console just doesn't make sense. Sides I can see MS doing a 'Xbox One 1.1 Update' where the 24 hour 'Call MS' comes back.
    Ummm, I don't see anything that says they are removed the 24 hour "CALL MS" as you call it. There is no check for DISK BASED GAMES, but no where does it say it has been removed for things like the family sharing or installed games. So, basically Microsoft is still doing what they said, but has finally spun it so it sounds good, something they should have done at E3. So those who want to play offline can 'with the disk' but if you want to install everything, or use your 'family game archive' then you have to call 'home' but well, you'll have to be online for this ANYWAY, so what's the big deal?

*EDIT* Ok so the news bit I got wasnt the same quote as the one at the start of this post...The one I read just said they had gotten rid of the DRM on disk games, but said nothing about removing the sharing ability...which sucks. So, because of all the whiney "Whaa I want to be able to pirate my game still" people, the cool "Family sharing of games' has been removed.

They cancelled it because people can just share the disc. The family sharing plan became superfluous.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Delete this post
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Console gamers are fully people.

1. They jump back on the ship a breath after bashing the company.
    2. They hail "the end of drm" but still accept that digital downloads have mandatory drm.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

Says who? 

The sales figures.

These sales figures?

"24 million units of the Kinect sensor had been shipped by February 2013 Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect has claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device". According to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter, Kinect bundles accounted for about half of all Xbox 360 console sales in December 2010 and for more than two-thirds in February 2011 More than 750,000 Kinect units were sold during the week of Black Friday 2011."

Seems like there was more than a tad interest in the original, and no evidence that has changed.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

No you don't need a move to make "full" use of the console. The sales figures of the move and kinect indicate that there are not very many people  interested in it. Sure the Wii sold well because of the technology but the novelty has wore off. It doesn't make sense to force it on everyone and make your console more expensive, when there is so little interest in it.

I agree with you and I like the way Sony separates the 2. I am also not all that interested in either Kinect 2 or Move but...

...as an MMO player, with all the MMOs that are now coming to the two consoles, the one thing that has me thinking I will still play MMOs on the PC is the superiority of mouse + KB input for gameplay and the awkwardness of text chat using either the gamepads or an add-on USB KB (I know, I know... there's voice chat that is similar to Vent on a PC but what about zone or "trade channel" chat?)

If either Kinect 2 or Move or both are sensitive enough to recognize subtle hand and finger motions, that form of input may actually become preferable to mouse + KB. That could change my mind about where I play MMOs.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Myria

Says who? 

The sales figures.

These sales figures?

"24 million units of the Kinect sensor had been shipped by February 2013 Having sold 8 million units in its first 60 days on the market, Kinect has claimed the Guinness World Record of being the "fastest selling consumer electronics device". According to Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter, Kinect bundles accounted for about half of all Xbox 360 console sales in December 2010 and for more than two-thirds in February 2011 More than 750,000 Kinect units were sold during the week of Black Friday 2011."

Seems like there was more than a tad interest in the original, and no evidence that has changed.

Yup. I looked it up. That's why I deleted my comment. The sales figures are actually not bad.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by Myria

Says who? 

The sales figures.

These sales figures?

It' all right and all, but if I want to disconnect Kinect and still use my console for everything that does not physically require camera (like Kinect sport games) then I should be able to do so.  Now I can't.  It does not really matter for me if I am only person in the world that would want to do that. I can't and I don't like that I can' t - so I am not talking XboX1 into consideration.  I want to have control over if camera is connected or not. Simple as that.  Simply acting like consumer who don't have his requirements met.