Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by Phry

I know I hate steam too. God steam why can't I sale my games and why do I need to login and update them before I can go offline and play. You suck steam, it really make me mad that I don't own the rights to my games. Screw you steam. 

This is what most of you sound like when you talk about the X1, just replace steam with X1. Some of the cool thing MS was going to do are now gone because of this. No more digital trade-ins which steam was going to do if it worked for MS. No more family sharing. 

Cloud will still do the same thing it was going to do, nothing is going to change about that but you still need to be online. What a shocker. Gaikai's streaming system is a joke. Just look at onlive, man they just took off right? Also just another way for sony to charge you for all those games again. It won't work the same way MS has it set up. MS will off load some of the game to the cloud which will make the system even stronger when online. Its pretty funny how Sony had to bring in a 3rd party company to handle cloud servers but its better then MS's when MS was building it right along side the X1. Yeah makes since Gaikai will be so superior to X!'s cloud system. LOL what a joke.

300,000 servers for online play. Sweet no more host advantage since games will be hosted on dedicated servers now. Pretty sure Sony doesn't have that.

X1 can't change out the hard drive. Cool pick up a 2 TB usb hard drive and your good to GO! I also love the complaint the you need to install the games on the hard drive. Good they always boot fast and run faster off the hard drive.

Just hope Sony's new super memory controller works out for them and hope the box has great cooling since its so small. Guess will have to wait and see if its the new 360.

Yup I'll be getting a X1, was going to anyways. Like more game on the X1 anyways.

Also here's a link read up on what cloud is.

http://bestonlinefilestorage.net/cloud-computing-and-who-invented-it/

Worth pointing out that while having an external storage device is handy for saving things to, its almost useless for backing games up onto, unless your going to transfer them back to the hard drive, running a game through a usb connection is a dumb idea, and with games becoming increasingly more complex, in terms of graphics etc, an external drive would add a significant slow down to the whole system, running the game off of the dvd/bluray disc would be significantly faster.

But well done to M$  for their total 180 on DRM policy, even if it meant losing access to offsite games back-up, which if they were at all bothered about they could have added to the Xbox Live Gold account perks, and might have actually given people more reason to buy it.

Now just need to persuade M$ to turn off the 'always connected to the Kinnect' requirement and maybe then people might consider buying the thing, Never mind all those people out there who already bought the kinnect and probably feel a bit ripped off by having to buy yet another one, when M$ should have given the option to buy a cheaper Xbone without Kinnect. That would even make the Xbone more competitive price wise.image

Yeah I have a friend that won't get it because of the kinect thing but its not that big of a deal to me. 

Its usb 3.0 and I do it on PC all the time with no issues. I also run games off of a 32gb thumb drive on my 360 with no issues so will have to wait and see. 

I do hope they drop the price down a 100$ but if not oh well still cheaper then my video card.

Kinnect being always on is a problem to a lot of people though, and being able to physically turn it off or disconnect it when not in use for games that use it, would be a huge deal, and for those with a 360 with Kinnect, it would make more sense for them to be able to use the one they have already purchased, than to have to buy yet another Kinnect device, they are not cheap after all, and while that may be cheaper than a video card, a video card is far more integral to any games system, whether it be a console or a pc, the Kinnect device is not.image

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

At least MS listens to their share prices. Seeing them plummet forced them into action.

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Not to mention once you get a game ready and set it to offline mode you don't have to log in every 24 hours to validate it again.

I'm pretty sure Steam wills till trial digital trade in as they've been setting up the marketplace for awhile now to accomodate it.

I'm also pretty sure Sony is setting up dedicated servers which is why it's asking people to use PS+ to play multiplayer in games using those servers.If a game chooses to use it's own servers and not Sony's you won't need PS+ no different from Xbox Gold.

He's really stretching for criticism here.

Not sure I'll invest in a PS4 either,I'm more likely to upgrade my PC and wait for both consoels to pan out and have a better library of games, but damn he complains about whining with the whiniest post I've seen in this thread and related threads yet.

I hope steam does because of right now we don't own are steam games. They can take the games away at any time go look it up.

I sure hope sony starts using dedicated server now that they're charging for PSN.

Oh i'm not whining just pointing out facts that so many of you like to over look and how most of this thread is nothing but whining about MS.

Sorry if it upsets you get over it.

I don't need to look it up I know the ToS.It's just very unlikely they'd ever do that and even if they did I can't see it standing when legally challenged.

Your facts are all as biased and suspect as anyone your railing against.

I'm not upset I don't plan to buy either at launch and will concentrate on my PC till the full story on both consoles has played out and we have decent libraries of games on either.

I just believe Sony has so far won the PR war with some crafty marketing added to Microsoft's arrogant and poorly messaged marketing.Sony is guilty of this in the last gen with PS3 and MS obviously learnt nothing from the mistakes Sony made back then.

I also believe MS is being childish with it's angrily caving in to public opinion  but taking it's toys and going home,instead of  trying to reach a compromise and clearly explaining the benefits of submitting to a revised DRM for example DRM only being used aggressively when it comes to sharing .

Give People reasons to want to be online ,give them benefits that can't be had offline.The third party developers have shown the way with this with The Division,Destiny,Need For Speed Rivals etc.Instead MS arrogantly told us we HAD to do it and we will like it and didn't emphasize why maybe we would want to be and what little they did explain was half assed and unclear.

They only have themselves to blame not the consumer.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by thunderc

O PLEASEEEE...... Dont even try to compare Steam to Micro$$$$oft. Steam runs insane sales all the  time practically giving games away with -75% off sales, Don't sit here and insult everyone's intelligence by claiming Microcrap would do the same. Steam's business model works because they treat the Gamer with respect , Microsoft does not.

You really think those sales are about the gamer? You do realize how much they're making off those sales considering the rate at which most of those products would be selling otherwise (at full price)?

No he doesn't and he probably thinks he owns his steam games. Which we don't. I have over a 100 steam games that I don't own and they can take them and anytime and if the publisher/dev removes the license from steam then you lose the game.

Just so you guys know.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/01/thought-do-we-own-our-steam-games/

Oh please, so now publishers are going to be pulling their licences from Steam, i suppose they'll be giving back all the money they got from Steam too, now you might not like it, but Steam is a free service that is a platform for selling games, if a publisher/developer were to do that they would find themselves in court so fast they would barely have time to file a chapter 11. Real world scenario's are a bit of a sod, of which im sure M$ will undoubtedly agree, at least for the brief moments their in it with the rest of us.image

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    It's really a good move for them, im not even a console player, but the xbox just has way more better titles coming out in it's lineup for the new system. At least I my eyes, they look like things I would play if I did use a console. I watch both full reveals on utube and after the hour and half of each, the xbox just had it right except for the DRM, the price is definitely another issues, but they do have a great lineup, I wasn't to impressed by the PS4 lineup even thou I think the system overall is better. Games make consoles sadly, not just consoles themselves. Probably the main reason I will be a pc gamer for life.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by thunderc

Oh please, so now publishers are going to be pulling their licences from Steam, i suppose they'll be giving back all the money they got from Steam too, now you might not like it, but Steam is a free service that is a platform for selling games, if a publisher/developer were to do that they would find themselves in court so fast they would barely have time to file a chapter 11. Real world scenario's are a bit of a sod, of which im sure M$ will undoubtedly agree, at least for the brief moments their in it with the rest of us.image

Well publishers could pull their licenses from Steam or from individuals, and no they would not have to repay the license fees or provide compensation or even a reason.  As you said real world scenario's are a bitch.  Hewlett Packard and other hardware companies have withdrawn software licenses in the past (UNIX OS and supporting software) they have gone to court over it and did win.  The wording of those EULA's is based on the proven terms of earlier software license agreements. So no chapter 11, probably no court case and almost certainly no compensation.

However there would be a loss of good will and perhaps a backlash against a publisher that did this with the result of loss of future earnings.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    The funny thing is that most of you complainers will end up buying the Xbox One anyway.  It might not be now, next year or two years from now but you'll have the damn thing in your home eventually.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by Ujirik
    The funny thing is that most of you complainers will end up buying the Xbox One anyway.  It might not be now, next year or two years from now but you'll have the damn thing in your home eventually.

It's all about the exclusives, baby.

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Sigh, so many defensive xbox fans..

Does it matter at this point?  You're not fooling anybody anymore Microsoft, and the PS4 is still SOLD OUT already..

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Microsoft will digg for new ways to screw their customers.
    Dont think for a second this company can be trusted.

Sony all the way.

• MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    No matter what both Xbox1 and PS4 will do well when they launch. We all have our favorite exclusives that simply must be played but Microsoft saw Sony getting a big boost of gamer support & had no choice but do a 180. At this point both companies want our gaming dollars so expect plenty more interesting events before launch.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    It would have killed their sales and their image.  Still going to hack it like I did my 360.

This is the reason why they wanted the 24 Hour Authentication Check.

It still wouldn't have stopped it, the connection process can be spoofed which is how all cloud based games have been hacked. Just look at ONlive lol.

What happened with Onlive? I thought that service died awhile back.

awhile back? its only been going for 3 years. they found a way to hack their service, though some of it has been fixed, people keep finding a way to play games without paying for them and even cheating on the games.

anyway im done posting for the night...this James Gandolfini news I stumbled across got me down to the point im feeling the need to drink.

I know its been going for around 3 years because I was a beta tester for Onlive. I thought I read somewhere that it was bought out by some company and afther that I never heard anything about it again.

Nah, it's not dead. Onlive was bought out but it is still going. Its also going to be part of the Xbox One in a sense anyways. 

http://iebandonlive.eventbrite.com/

"We are eager to speak to individuals and teams affected by the OnLive transition.  With the stunning success of Xbox/Kinect and the accelerated growth of this business, we are looking to add key players who want to make a real impact in creating groundbreaking new products and services.

We have positions in both Redmond, WA, and in Mountain View. There are big projects in the pipeline for the rest of 2012 and beyond, and the team is growing rapidly to support the work ahead! We’d love to have YOU be part of our team!

Come join us!  Enjoy food, drinks and mix and mingle with our hiring managers .  Stick around for a chance to win a Kinect Bundle.  We will be raffling one off during the Mixer."

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

I never said that they are going to pull their licences from steam, I said they could and you all can say that it would end up in a law suit all you want. How do you sue for something you don't own? Anyways thanks for trying to twist that and put words in my mouth.

In the end they can do what ever they want since its not are property and till laws are changed for digital owner ship we don't have a leg to stand on. Just like if I get a movie on amazon and the licences gets pulled I no longer have that movie. Whats so hard about understanding that? I can't go after amazon. All you get is a digital right to use the licence and that's it, you don't own it.

What if steam shut down tomorrow then what? Who are you going to sue then?  

Publishers pulling games off of Steam has already happened, or did you miss this when Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 was pulled from Steam by EA?

Anyone who owned the game WAS NOT AFFECTED. You just couldn't buy it anymore (although Crysis 2 Maximum Edition was later added).

No publisher in their right mind would pull something like that. The outcry against that specific publisher along with Steam would dwarf the reaction from the X1; and we saw what MS now had to do.

EDIT: For some reason I thought this was a seperate thread. I wanted to add that I think it's absolutely great that MS dropped those policies. Whether they regain the trust of offended buyers is another topic, but I still hardily clap the action at least (though I am aware they could bring the policies back, my clap will change if that ever occurs =P).

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Sony all the way.

Did you just say Sony can be trusted?   ...LOL

Seriously, you guys got some serious issues. Even when Microsoft gives you what you want, you give them no credit at all. I guess haters gunna hate.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    MS will screw xbox1 owners another way.   Backing down on DRM doesn't cut it, they will just add another feature to make it difficult to sell and buy second hand games. Its all about damage limitation ensuring they get better sales over Sony, not about listening to consumers, once they sold their units they got you.
  • AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by Adalwulff

Sony all the way.

Seriously, you guys got some serious issues. Even when Microsoft gives you what you want, you give them no credit at all. I guess haters gunna hate.

Well there is a lot to hate. The fact that Microsoft even thought their initial pitch of the Xbox 1 was acceptable in any way. Their backtrack was just to try and save their new console from losing out to the competition. If they can get it THAT wrong once. They can do so again. And judging their history they likely will. 

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    MS will screw xbox1 owners another way.   Backing down on DRM doesn't cut it, they will just add another feature to make it difficult to sell and buy second hand games. Its all about damage limitation ensuring they get better sales over Sony, not about listening to consumers, once they sold their units they got you.
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy

Sony all the way.

Well there is a lot to hate. The fact that Microsoft even thought their initial pitch of the Xbox 1 was acceptable in any way. Their backtrack was just to try and save their new console from losing out to the competition. If they can get it THAT wrong once. They can do so again. And judging their history they likely will. 

Sony started it, and the patent was going to be just tie the game to your PSN account, and not be able to trade games in at all or share with friends, and Xbox ONE policy was going to be better than PS4, but they just backed out after seeing the lynching MS was getting - MS: We have DRM, Fans: Boo!, Sony: We support used games, Fans: Sony rules, MS sucks.

I guess Sonys plan to get more sales worked.

MS will not bother with this again, like double jeopardy, but Sony might do it still, and they will not get as much anger either

Plus Sony have something else nice in the works too

Being a Xbox owner since the original Xbox, I have never been screwed by MS at all, and they always do the right thing in the end, Sony on the other hand have screwed the Playstation owners:

• Updating PSP to remove homebrew possibilities
    • EU not getting HDDs for PS2s
    • Updating PS3s to remove Linux functionaility after approving it inititially making people who bought the machine just for that a waste of money.
    • Sonys behaviour went so far that a group called Anonymous went up against Sony, and the network was hacked in 2011 compromising peoples accounts and payment details
    MS makes mistakes but always corrects them (like here) or suffers a loss from it, like RROD replacing/repairing consoles free of charge past warranty. Sony do not do these things as they do not have the capital to do so, all they do is bow before you in great shame.
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Sony all the way.

Sony started it, and the patent was going to be just tie the game to your PSN account, and not be able to trade games in at all or share with friends, and Xbox ONE policy was going to be better than PS4, but they just backed out after seeing the lynching MS was getting - MS: We have DRM, Fans: Boo!, Sony: We support used games, Fans: Sony rules, MS sucks.

MS will not bother with this again, like double jeopardy, but Sony might do it still, and they will not get as much anger either

Being a Xbox owner since the original Xbox, I have never been screwed by MS at all, and they always do the right thing in the end, Sony on the other hand have screwed the Playstation owners:

• Updating PS3s to remove Linux functionaility after approving it inititially making people who bought the machine just for that a waste of money.
    • Sonys behaviour went so far that a group called Anonymous went up against Sony, and the network was hacked in 2011 compromising peoples accounts and payment details
    MS makes mistakes but always corrects them (like here) or suffers a loss from it, like RROD replacing/repairing consoles free of charge past warranty. Sony do not do these things as they do not have the capital to do so, all they do is bow before you in great shame.

Sorry, Sony has the capital they just didn't implement these things. One company is pretty intelligent while the other isn't. 

Sony has always had the better hardware and made the better deals. It's why even releasing a year after Xbox 360 and being higher priced that still outsold the 360 in the long run. 

Microsoft likes to think customers will just take it. Win8 sells have been awful. Xbox 360 couldn't even beat the PS3 with all the advantages it had in the beginning. If they listened to their target audience from the start they could avoid a lot of the fallout that they continue to bring on themselves. 

I don't think Sony is "For the gamer" but they do have good business sense. They know pissed off gamers aren't likely to open their wallet for them, and not only that but news travels fast when it comes to games and nothing stays secret for very long. 

As far as your Anonymous comments, with the Xbox One Microsoft went far beyond everything Sony has done across all of its products. 

The Privacy issues, the violation of consumer rights, and so much more have painted a great big bullseye on Microsofts back. What Sony did was considered minor by most and many did not support Anonymous, how many would side with Microsoft should Anonymous attack the Xbox Live servers over issues with the Xbox One especially if the DRM policy hadn't changed?

• TheMaahesTheMaahes Member Posts: 185

Too little too late. If they can switch their policies at a whim once they can do it again. Damage is done. 

I think this is the point people are missing. Even though Microsoft now reversed its policies now what prevents them from doing so after it launches once they've earned their profit?

Originally posted by TheMaahes

Too little too late. If they can switch their policies at a whim once they can do it again. Damage is done. 

I think this is the point people are missing. Even though Microsoft now reversed its policies now what prevents them from doing so after it launches once they've earned their profit?

Nothing lol, because if its this easy to reverse then it would be just as easy to reinstate after they have moved enough units they don't have to worry about backlash. 

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357

Interesting to see such a dramatic reversal so quickly. I expected them to at least fight for some of the aspects of their DRM plans; to see them retreat entirely is both surprising and troublesome, since it likely means that any future implementation of their goals is likely to be just as rough as this one.

A few thoughts I've had reading this thread:

1) Consoles are not PCs, and never will be. They serve completely different functions and roles, and the role that the console typically plays is not one that is conducive to requiring online connectivity, nor are the average console games. Having online components, either in game or separate media tie ins, as an option for those gamers and developers that want to use them is a very good thing, and it's probably even a required option, but it does need to be an option rather than an automatic, across the board implementation. The types of games and gamers that consoles cater too is simply too varied to not include the option for offline play. Those developers that are creating games that can benefit from an online presence should certainly take advantage of them, but not every console game can or should have an online component.

2) A big part of the issue here is that Microsoft was really pushing for a purely digital experience, and that simply is not realistic for consoles. Steam gets the pass that it does largely because they are all digital, and people are willing to accept the limitations of such because the benefits are clear. Microsoft was trying to push all digital solutions in a market that would still sees physical media as not only the norm, but an advantage; their initial plan would have forced the consumer to accept the worst of both worlds, with very few of the benefits of either. Even ten years from now, I suspect that the market will still be strong for physical media based systems, as they serve different needs and functions than digital based systems.

3) The grand digital takeover of the world will never happen, nor will the grand unification of all entertainment functions into one box. As people are experiencing both first hand more and more, they are starting to discover the pitfalls of these systems, and even if the issue of an underlying infrastructure to deliver it effectively wasn't an issue, there are still plenty of times and places where digital solutions simply don't work. Similarly, the grand all in one box theory falls flat as the quality of the individual functions is adversely affected with each additional function added. Neither of these trends are going to disappear, but they are going to be more and more focused on specific markets and roles; entertainment will not be one of those markets and roles. There is simply too much variety in what people want, how they want it delivered, and when they want it for a single box or for digital only delivery systems to meet everyone's individualized preferences and needs.

4) Since it seems to be a popular comparison, what Microsoft was wanting to do is nothing like what Steam does. The two big differences are degree and the market being appealed to. In degree of difference, Steam is already pushing what is acceptable to the absolute limits, and Microsoft wanted to go so far beyond that Steam wouldn't even have been visible in the rear view mirror. This would have been bad enough in the PC market that is already tolerant and accepting of light forms of DRM and online authentication, but they wanted to implement in a market that has gained it's market share in large part because it doesn't have to deal with the DRM and other online issues that PC and Steam gamers tend to accept as a part of life.

In the end, while I certainly haven't seen Sony do anything that makes me of them as having marketing genius, Microsoft just came off as stupid with this entire affair. First, they completely ignored the majority of the console market and what drove that market before announcing their plans. While some markets and sectors will probably end up all digital, entertainment, and console gaming in particular, will not; there are simply too many hurdles and potential complications for it to work well. Second, they clearly had no game plan in place on how to scale back their plans should they find significant resistance, and were forced to completely retreat. This would have me very worried if I was even remotely interested in the XB1 because the probability of seeing these ideas again and again and again until Microsoft finally figures out a decent way to implement them without completely destroying their customer base,or they simply wear down the resistance to the ideas, whichever comes first (my money would be on the latter; I don't see the current crop of MS people having the slightest idea of pull the challenges off),  is very high, and is likely going to be very painful for all involved.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

I am not getting a PS4 because it had no games for me. If they did not change this policy then I would have gotten no console. It is the games that won me over for Xbox ONE. If I ended up getting a PS4 then I would be an idiot - Lets go buy a PS4 to play no games on it, only to stick it to MS. The Xbox ONE has 9 exclusives that I like the look of, but 0 PS4 ones, plus then there are the multiplatform games - that is the most any new console has offered. I will get a PS4 when they put some games I want.

In some ways it was good for gamers. You could share games with other people, and reduce the number of games to buy, sharing with one other person, you could buy just half the number of games you want - you buy 5 games, and then your friend buys 5 games, and you both have 10 games to play, now you both have to go and buy 10 games each, so that it is 20 games sold and not 10. And then they still allowed you to trade them in, although not the digital downloaded games, but you could still share them. Now the disc has to be in the drive, and can not share downloaded games = more sales to Microsoft.

Their policies was not as bad as PC DRM, but better the devil you know (the same as what it is now), and it will keep the Xbox ONE has a retro console in 30 years time.

You are aware that MS has had two conferences and Sony has only had one so far aren't you? Plus.. most of those XB1 games won't be out until fall 2014, they will not be there for launch. Sony showed their launch games. MS showed almost everything they've got.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Nothing lol, because if its this easy to reverse then it would be just as easy to reinstate after they have moved enough units they don't have to worry about backlash. 

I have absolutely no doubt that M$ will bring back all these scrapped "features" eventually, in one form or another.

This complete scrapping of the unpopular policies is only damage control. They clearly realised that they had pushed too far too fast, and too obviously, and they were about to take a hammering in the marketplace.

Unlike their OS's and Office software, M$ has real competition in the console market. Perhaps they momentarily forgot that they cannot dictate to gamers, because those gamers have a very real alternative: PS4.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Sony all the way.

Sorry, Sony has the capital they just didn't implement these things. One company is pretty intelligent while the other isn't. 

Sony has always had the better hardware and made the better deals. It's why even releasing a year after Xbox 360 and being higher priced that still outsold the 360 in the long run. 

Microsoft likes to think customers will just take it. Win8 sells have been awful. Xbox 360 couldn't even beat the PS3 with all the advantages it had in the beginning. If they listened to their target audience from the start they could avoid a lot of the fallout that they continue to bring on themselves. 

I don't think Sony is "For the gamer" but they do have good business sense. They know pissed off gamers aren't likely to open their wallet for them, and not only that but news travels fast when it comes to games and nothing stays secret for very long. 

As far as your Anonymous comments, with the Xbox One Microsoft went far beyond everything Sony has done across all of its products. 

The Privacy issues, the violation of consumer rights, and so much more have painted a great big bullseye on Microsofts back. What Sony did was considered minor by most and many did not support Anonymous, how many would side with Microsoft should Anonymous attack the Xbox Live servers over issues with the Xbox One especially if the DRM policy hadn't changed?

Sony have the capitol to do whatever but not enough to go in to a loss to fix their mistakes, which MS have done. Did Sony repair consoles when the PS3 got the yellow light? MS did with Xboxs RROD. They also sold the original Xbox at a loss, and gave out a free power cord with breaker switch. Now they have to undo all their work with xbox ONE. I doubt Sony would have undone the patent if they announced their plans for blocking used games before MS, because it would have been too much work and finance to undo it all

Sony did not undo any of the PSP or PS3 updates.

Win 8 has nothing to do with consoles, MS are risky when it comes to PCs and OS, but consoles, they always end up doing the right thing in the end, and the Xbox 360 was the main console that devs wrote for, as there are hardly any games that took advantage of the PS3s better hardware, as the devs just ported the Xbox 360 version. PS3 has only been shining the last year or so, as MS look to Xbox ONE, the first six years was Xbox 360 which shined the most.

PS3 > PS4 for several more years too, like the PS2 carried on better than PS3 for a while, as the PS4 had no exclusives worth worrying about yet - PS4 interested me with 0 games, Xbox ONE interested with 9 plus the multiplatform ones. The reason being is because MS has more money and able to acquire more exclusives. Sony can not afford it

The only thing MS can be accused of is hogging the market, but I am not going to get a PS4 so it just looks pretty. The PS3 for me was mostly good for Blu Ray, I have hardly played any games on it at all. Considering I have the PS3 for that still, and probably the Xbox ONE, there will be little to no reason to get PS4, and I might even sell the PS3 to make room for Xbox ONE.

Less likely than Sony, and Sony have already gone there and got a patent. Blocking used games is also on Sonys mind too.

It is not on Nintendos mind at all

If you want to avoid any chance of getting DRM on console then go Wii U.