Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    Damage is done, this is going to continue to be a huge blemish on Microsoft for a long time.  It also shows the gamers(you and me) that Microsoft wants control vs providing gamers what they want, they clearly don't care.  The only reason they reversed this was because of the poor pre-sales in comparison to Sony, if the pre-sales weren't poor but people complained nonetheless they wouldn't of made these changes. 

Saying the damage is done is just crazy when these systems are not even out yet. I remember back when Xbox 360 was launching everybody thought it would be a flop and would get destroyed by PS3 and look how that turned out. . Even before this announcement today Xbox One was the #1 Video Game item on Amazon even ahead of The Last Of Us which may become a record breaker if it keeps selling the way its doing. I know the PS4 has been doing better but just pointing out that the system has still been selling strong though preorders and now with this news its only going to boost it more.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    BTW, those of you who are stoked about this change should probably go read up on it.  The Xbox One lost a bunch of, what I consider, neat and modern features because of this change.Hopefully they will eventually make it all work.  I, for one, liked the idea of cloud-stored game collections and whatnot.  From what I am reading right now, that's gone.Here's an article... and check out the mixed reactions in the comments:http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/19/microsoft-heeds-gamer-feedback-dumps-xbox-one-drm-restrictions/

None of those "modern features" depended on the 24 hour check in or the DRM on game discs. There isn't anything that the XBox1 could do before that it can't do now, and there isn't anything that the XBox1 could do that the PS4 wasn't capable of doing. The DRM and 24 hour check in was a policy decision, not a technical decision.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    It would have killed their sales and their image.  Still going to hack it like I did my 360.

This is the reason why they wanted the 24 Hour Authentication Check.

It still wouldn't have stopped it, the connection process can be spoofed which is how all cloud based games have been hacked. Just look at ONlive lol.

What happened with Onlive? I thought that service died awhile back.

awhile back? its only been going for 3 years. they found a way to hack their service, though some of it has been fixed, people keep finding a way to play games without paying for them and even cheating on the games.

anyway im done posting for the night...this James Gandolfini news I stumbled across got me down to the point im feeling the need to drink.

I know its been going for around 3 years because I was a beta tester for Onlive. I thought I read somewhere that it was bought out by some company and afther that I never heard anything about it again.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Quizzical As compared to a PS4, Microsoft has moved from trying to charge more for inferior hardware with crippling DRM to trying to charge more for inferior hardware without crippling DRM.  That's process of sorts, but so long as they're trying to charge more for inferior hardware, I don't see a bright future for the Xbox One.
    How much more so is the XB1 inferior to the PS4?  You had a recent thread comparing the two that I found rather unconvincing.  Mostly what I got out of that thread was the PS4 has the potential for more graphics power on paper, but the practical differences are miniscule.

Both are offering overpriced inferior hardware for what you could build yourself.  By your reasoning neither have a bright future.  Since we know consoles are successful I would have to conclude your conclusion is flawed.  The price difference between the two is only about $40 when you consider the bare bones PS4 offering doesn't have it's version of the camera and kinect included.  They both have abysmally small outdated (I mean due to the size, not the hardware generation) hard drives at 500GB.

I see a bright future for both really.  Not likely one which I'll be a part of until the price makes more sense, but they both have room to compete and succeed.  This won't be a one or the other sort of war.  Possibly the only loser in this could be Nintendo as its platform seems shadowed by these two.  The only thing Nintendo really has to offer now is the IP specific catalog.

The PS4 has ram that is a generation newer, and more ram will be available to the games that are running. The PS4 has better graphics hardware as well, which means while it may have the same graphics features, it will be able to push more polygons on the screen, and it will be able to push them faster than the XB1. Since the PS4 isn't installing games to the HDD, more HDD space will be available for downloadable content without having to upgrade the HDD with an external HDD.

The PS4 has better hardware.

The only thing missing is the Kinect, and if you buy the Sony version of the Kinect device, you will still spend less money than what you would spend on the XB1.

You are right in that the end result may be negligible. Someone playing the same game on both consoles may not notice a difference. That doesn't matter when it comes to actually buying a device though. People are going to go with brand loyalty, or they are going to go with the console that has the exclusive games they want, or they are going to compare the hardware. In the first two cases, the decision is already made. In the last case, the PS4 wins. The last case is how the XB360 won in the previous generation and it's how the PS4 is going to win in this generation.

Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by lizardbones
    Microsoft's plan was to have additional content available on other devices.
    And they can't do that now because.....?

They can do that now. I assume they can anyway. I shouldn't have used the past tense.

• proxy42086proxy42086 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    how will they justify the $100 price cut if they try to do it? " Uh our bad we miscalculated teh cost?
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Originally posted by proxy42086
    how will they justify the $100 price cut if they try to do it? " Uh our bad we miscalculated teh cost?

They cant cut the price because of Kinect.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Jorl
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy

Too little too late. If they can switch their policies at a whim once they can do it again. Damage is done. 

This is my thought on it. Not that I was planning on getting a X1 anyway, but if I was, I would be concerned that they would re-implement those features after initial sales of the unit. With everything digital on the box, its only a matter of them "flicking a switch" on their side anyway once the sheep shell out their money.

I'd be exactly the same. But you will find those out there now who are thinking... "Yay! now am gonna buy x1 coz dey changed it".

They will change their policy over the few years like they have done for the 360. People don't realize they're being conned, you can do more than what an xbox can on the PC and its cheaper with no extra internet fees.

Already I am seeing this in the tones of some replies. They're going to run out and buy it as soon as its available, then come back ranting on the forums months later when MS starts changing things on them.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    It's a good move by Microsoft.  Obviously, we can hate them for waiting to see if they can get away with it, and only removing it because of the strong outcry against it.  I prefer to forgive and forget.  This is a win for gamers all around, even if you don't plan to get an Xbox One it shows that with enough "whining" by the public you can sway a company towards better policies.  I'm still buying a PS4, mostly because it's cheaper, has exclusives more suited to my playstyle, will have Gaikai in the future (I don't own a Vita, PS3, or PS2 so Gaikai is a huge deal for me), and it has better indie support.  Still, if Xbox exclusives like Halo are a big deal to you Xbox One just became a viable system to buy now.
  • MarXonMarXon Member Posts: 22
    Too little too late, for me. They fucked up.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

The question you should be asking is why you need to store your own copy of the library of congress, or why millions of people should have their own copy, when it will be ubiquitously available online via the net.  

Why do you feel the need to own your own car when buses and trains can take you there.

Jesus Christ man...not everyone wants the same god damn thing and anyone thinking it should be FORCED on us is basically bat shit crazy. you are an amazingly closed minded person for someone claiming to have his fingers on the pulse of the future.

Hey want to know about some of the other things that are COMING AND NOTHING CAN STOP IT? Go watch any single one of the world of tomorrow videos...so quick, sell your car and never buy one again, flying cars ARE the future and nothing can stop progress.

Your analogies need a lot of work.  I've resisted poking holes in them here because it would be a huge waste of time.

You speak as if I'm talking about some far-off fantasy, when we are already surrounded by cloud services and it's becoming more ubiquitous every day.  Google, Microsoft and Apple seem to think it's a worthy "guess" for the future.  I always leave myself open to watch out for disruptive tech, especially at the speed with which things are being developed these days. So far though, it's hard to see any other infrastructure for most computing in the future.

Having said all that, I don't think it's any stretch to say mainstream gaming will be going the same direction, and we are seeing the beginning of it with this gen of consoles.  Maybe it won't happen, but they are sure as hell going to try.

Not sure where you got the idea I wanted anything forced on anyone.  If you knew me, you would laugh at the ignorance of the very idea.  I'm just telling you what I think will happen with the mainstream market.  As someone who spends 2-3K every couple years building my own gaming rigs, I hope there's always room for extremes and niche markets.

I'm done talking about this subject.  You are welcome to flame on if you want, but I'm out. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Lmao the 19-1 amazon poll probably scared  the holy hell out of investors.
  • AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757
    This is why neither MS or Sony should ever win the console wars. If one of the consoles were to disappear, the other one could do whatever they want, with little repercussion. 
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    delete

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Too Little Too Late
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849

To little to late Micro$oft. The damage has been done and in my opinion xbone and microsoft cannot be trusted , Wouldnt surprise me if this was a temporary solution just to get preorders on par  or even close to ps4 numbers. I could defintely see micro$oft bringing back all their nonsense (online & used game restrictions) a year or two down the line. 

I think anyone who would even consider buying a Xboxone is out of their minds. Micro$oft has proved they are out of touch with what WE want. To little to late Xbone, Wont see a dime of my money.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by AvatarBlade
    This is why neither MS or Sony should ever win the console wars. If one of the consoles were to disappear, the other one could do whatever they want, with little repercussion. 

Excellent point.

This is also why we as consumers should always vote with our wallets.  It is the only way to force these industries to listen to our demands.

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by bestever

I know I hate steam too. God steam why can't I sale my games and why do I need to login and update them before I can go offline and play. You suck steam, it really make me mad that I don't own the rights to my games. Screw you steam. 

This is what most of you sound like when you talk about the X1, just replace steam with X1. Some of the cool thing MS was going to do are now gone because of this. No more digital trade-ins which steam was going to do if it worked for MS. No more family sharing. 

Cloud will still do the same thing it was going to do, nothing is going to change about that but you still need to be online. What a shocker. Gaikai's streaming system is a joke. Just look at onlive, man they just took off right? Also just another way for sony to charge you for all those games again. It won't work the same way MS has it set up. MS will off load some of the game to the cloud which will make the system even stronger when online. Its pretty funny how Sony had to bring in a 3rd party company to handle cloud servers but its better then MS's when MS was building it right along side the X1. Yeah makes since Gaikai will be so superior to X!'s cloud system. LOL what a joke.

300,000 servers for online play. Sweet no more host advantage since games will be hosted on dedicated servers now. Pretty sure Sony doesn't have that.

X1 can't change out the hard drive. Cool pick up a 2 TB usb hard drive and your good to GO! I also love the complaint the you need to install the games on the hard drive. Good they always boot fast and run faster off the hard drive.

Just hope Sony's new super memory controller works out for them and hope the box has great cooling since its so small. Guess will have to wait and see if its the new 360.

Yup I'll be getting a X1, was going to anyways. Like more game on the X1 anyways.

O PLEASEEEE...... Dont even try to compare Steam to Micro$$$$oft. Steam runs insane sales all the  time practically giving games away with -75% off sales, Don't sit here and insult everyone's intelligence by claiming Microcrap would do the same. Steam's business model works because they treat the Gamer with respect , Microsoft does not.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by XAleX360

I'm very surprised, but they just did it.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/06/19/microsoft-surrenders-to-gamers-drm-is-no-more

I am not surprised,with all their power and brilliant minds it should have never made it this far,it is imo a no brainer.

I am sure Microsoft has people watching the media and field many questions from experts,they saw a VERY bleak future for the Xbox if they don't make changes.

I already lol at the way the two have basically copied the same hardware,i mean seriously,it is like they  both agreed to not push each other to keep costs down.

I own a AMD right now,i would not endorse their products and Radeon,i took my new Radeon card out and put back my 8800.Imo both are low end when compared to Intel and Nvidia,both definitely went for the cheap cost of building their machines.

Imo Microsoft still has a couple more areas of concern or the Xbox will be crushed by the PS4,personally i think it will be anyhow.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I know I hate steam too. God steam why can't I sale my games and why do I need to login and update them before I can go offline and play. You suck steam, it really make me mad that I don't own the rights to my games. Screw you steam. 

This is what most of you sound like when you talk about the X1, just replace steam with X1. Some of the cool thing MS was going to do are now gone because of this. No more digital trade-ins which steam was going to do if it worked for MS. No more family sharing. 

Cloud will still do the same thing it was going to do, nothing is going to change about that but you still need to be online. What a shocker. Gaikai's streaming system is a joke. Just look at onlive, man they just took off right? Also just another way for sony to charge you for all those games again. It won't work the same way MS has it set up. MS will off load some of the game to the cloud which will make the system even stronger when online. Its pretty funny how Sony had to bring in a 3rd party company to handle cloud servers but its better then MS's when MS was building it right along side the X1. Yeah makes since Gaikai will be so superior to X!'s cloud system. LOL what a joke.

300,000 servers for online play. Sweet no more host advantage since games will be hosted on dedicated servers now. Pretty sure Sony doesn't have that.

X1 can't change out the hard drive. Cool pick up a 2 TB usb hard drive and your good to GO! I also love the complaint the you need to install the games on the hard drive. Good they always boot fast and run faster off the hard drive.

Just hope Sony's new super memory controller works out for them and hope the box has great cooling since its so small. Guess will have to wait and see if its the new 360.

Yup I'll be getting a X1, was going to anyways. Like more game on the X1 anyways.

Also here's a link read up on what cloud is.

http://bestonlinefilestorage.net/cloud-computing-and-who-invented-it/

Worth pointing out that while having an external storage device is handy for saving things to, its almost useless for backing games up onto, unless your going to transfer them back to the hard drive, running a game through a usb connection is a dumb idea, and with games becoming increasingly more complex, in terms of graphics etc, an external drive would add a significant slow down to the whole system, running the game off of the dvd/bluray disc would be significantly faster.

But well done to M$  for their total 180 on DRM policy, even if it meant losing access to offsite games back-up, which if they were at all bothered about they could have added to the Xbox Live Gold account perks, and might have actually given people more reason to buy it.

Now just need to persuade M$ to turn off the 'always connected to the Kinnect' requirement and maybe then people might consider buying the thing, Never mind all those people out there who already bought the kinnect and probably feel a bit ripped off by having to buy yet another one, when M$ should have given the option to buy a cheaper Xbone without Kinnect. That would even make the Xbone more competitive price wise.image

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by thunderC

O PLEASEEEE...... Dont even try to compare Steam to Micro$$$$oft. Steam runs insane sales all the  time practically giving games away with -75% off sales, Don't sit here and insult everyone's intelligence by claiming Microcrap would do the same. Steam's business model works because they treat the Gamer with respect , Microsoft does not.

Not to mention once you get a game ready and set it to offline mode you don't have to log in every 24 hours to validate it again.

I'm pretty sure Steam wills till trial digital trade in as they've been setting up the marketplace for awhile now to accomodate it.

I'm also pretty sure Sony is setting up dedicated servers which is why it's asking people to use PS+ to play multiplayer in games using those servers.If a game chooses to use it's own servers and not Sony's you won't need PS+ no different from Xbox Gold.

He's really stretching for criticism here.

Not sure I'll invest in a PS4 either,I'm more likely to upgrade my PC and wait for both consoels to pan out and have a better library of games, but damn he complains about whining with the whiniest post I've seen in this thread and related threads yet.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by tawess
    I This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers,

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

Either way, Sony's policies were in the right place, luck or not. MS's wasn't. It's natural for corporations to try and overreach, but then the people speak up and suddenly they remember they're outnumbered... and need money. Sony didn't try to overreach but MS did.

Probably because Sony learned their lesson last time with the release of PS3. Or have we forgotten it was MS that was considered the "gamers friend"<-lol, and Sony the cash grabbers last Gen.

Sony weren't the cash grabbers they just lacked focus. They tried to come out way to big with such an expensive system and features. Blu-ray(which was expensive at the time) jacked up the price, they didn't have a very solid launch lineup. To top it off they were a lot later t han the 360. It was just a bad launch really.

I don't recall anyone saying they were the cash grabbers. In fact they didn't even offer a premium PSN+ for years and never charged to play online games, access Netflix etc. They were similar to the Xbone in that they were trying to be an entire media center rather than a dedicated gaming device, those roles seem to be reversed this time around.

Eh? You never saw the "$onylol"  lingo back then, consider yourself lucky? Granted it was as worth while as the console debate today for PCgamers. But that's exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote the above post. I'm fully aware of the reality, I still have my Gen 1 Ps3 ;)

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by atziluth
    Originally posted by cgplayer
    You guys are just sad.  Whine and cry about all that crap most of which is already being done on PC games.  Internet connection required, cant sell, etc etc.  Now MS goes ahead and changes course and your still whining and crying.  Move on already sad plain sad some people are.  

Please name a PC system or even a game that locks you out if you don't connect to the internet every 24 hours. Nothing?

It was a horrible idea that had nothing to do with evolution of gaming and had everything to do with forcing direction of revenue streams down the throats of their buyers. 

I think you all sound like a bunch of luddites, afraid of the big bad internet.  I've had some form of always-on broadband in my homes since about 1998, so I have trouble understanding why having your console connected to the internet in 2013 is so hard to swallow.  I guess I'm just used to be connected all the time via my phone, tablet, computers, etc.

On another note, if these new consoles exist for 5-8 years again, that means you may be using them until the year 2022 or so. Does anyone think cloud services won't be the norm by the year 2022?  As a 20 year IT tech who see's my whole business model changing over the next five years or so, I believe you are insane if you don't see it coming.  I'm not referring to cloud-streaming games, but SaaS, constant cloud connectivity, etc. Ubiquitous computing.

If you don't have always-on broadband in 2014, perhaps you should put that console money towards MOVING to a place where you can get a real internet connection.

This post is a joke because broadband internet is not everywhere yet as I read somewhere only 65% of populated america is broadband connected this still leaves 35% of the populated area out in the cold! You cannot tell people to move to those area's that do have it some people like living in the country or secluded area (not me i like the sound of the city). Don't fault consumers for the lack of broadband service fault ISP's like ATT, Verizon, Mediacom, Comcast, and ect who the Govt gave Billions to upgrade their towers and lay fiber optic cables down, but partially laid it and the rest still using good ole "Copper Cable"!

Also most ISP's have caps on GB some as low as 5GB or comparable to Smartphone data plans. This does not carry well if trying to game! 

Remember 2014 is in 6 months and Broadband is costly to alot of people from 39.99 usd up to 100.00 usd depending on the ISP! 

P.S Broadband is not stable in alot of area's and remember unless the information is optimized it could bog down your "internet pipeline". ( read about it too much detail to give here.)

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by thunderc

You really think those sales are about the gamer? You do realize how much they're making off those sales considering the rate at which most of those products would be selling otherwise (at full price)?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• VesocVesoc Member Posts: 9
    Sad for them... this time sony nailed it :)