Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

We like Hex and we don't care who knows!

Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

A TCG.

A MMOG?

A MMOTCG?

All glory to the Hexnotoad.  May it grow and flourish like some sort of plant.

Comments

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
  • ev1lb0bev1lb0b Member UncommonPosts: 37
    The only negative for me at this point is the agonizing wait for alpha access....2 thumbs up Cryptozoic.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    never heard of it. whats the run down?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Basically a trading card game mixed with some mmorpg element's. Look's pretty interesting so far.
  • ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

It's a tcg with game features you'd expect to find in a MMORPG. Such as pve things like raids and dungeons, social features like guilds and auction houses, progression in the form of loot and gear for your cards or levels for your champions, it also has crafting and other features one would expect to find in a MMORPG. It should be a great tcg in it's own right and it will have things like drafts, constructed tournaments and so on but it's got more going for it than that. Plenty of info on their website if your interested.

I'm very excited about it personally.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    I just can't get excited over a digital card game, I'd prefer to have tangible merchandise that I can hold in my hand when I throw down money for a game such as this one.  If this was a tabletop game, I'd buy it in a heart beat.  I enjoy the art and the game mechanics look solid.  If it ever makes the transition they'll get some of my money, but until that point I won't be buying into this game.  I'll stick to MMOs for my digital entertainment and keep to Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Invasion, and other LCGs for my tabletop card games.  To a much lesser extent, MTG.
    I like to complain about games.
  • clumsytoes44clumsytoes44 Member UncommonPosts: 463
    Originally posted by Ridrith
    I just can't get excited over a digital card game, I'd prefer to have tangible merchandise that I can hold in my hand when I throw down money for a game such as this one.  If this was a tabletop game, I'd buy it in a heart beat.  I enjoy the art and the game mechanics look solid.  If it ever makes the transition they'll get some of my money, but until that point I won't be buying into this game.  I'll stick to MMOs for my digital entertainment and keep to Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Invasion, and other LCGs for my tabletop card games.  To a much lesser extent, MTG.

Look's like it may have a physical tcg also, kind of like the yugioh games for the gameboy were you could enter a code off the card to get a replica of said card in the game.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

The big draw of a digital TCG is that you can play anytime you want.  Feel like playing a few games at 10pm on a Sunday?  Good luck with that with physical cards.  Its f2p so you really have nothing to lose by trying it.  You get a free starter deck of 60 cards, boosters are only $2 each and the VIP program is only $4 a month.  The pve portion is 100% free and you can earn cards through pve that you can use to trade for pvp cards or (possibly) platinum currency with other players.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by clumsytoes44

Look's like it may have a physical tcg also, kind of like the yugioh games for the gameboy were you could enter a code off the card to get a replica of said card in the game.

Theres no physical cards at all.  Its all digital.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Originally posted by Ginaz
    The big draw of a digital TCG is that you can play anytime you want.  Feel like playing a few games at 10pm on a Sunday?  Good luck with that with physical cards.  Its f2p so you really have nothing to lose by trying it.  You get a free starter deck of 60 cards, boosters are only $2 each and the VIP program is only $4 a month.  The pve portion is 100% free and you can earn cards through pve that you can use to trade for pvp cards or (possibly) platinum currency with other players.

That might be true, but luckily I live in a area where if I need somebody to play a game of cards with, especially one of the LCGs it's easily doable.  Even on a Sunday at 10PM.  As cool as a MMO TCG sounds, I'd rather actually sit across from people while I play my tabletop card games.  I like that social experience, chatting with people online isn't quite the same thing.  Once again, $2.00 a pack isn't bad, but it's still money I could use to throw at another expansion of cards or a MTG booster.  To each their own though, I just hope at some point they consider bringing it to tabletops everywhere.

I like to complain about games.
  • DralonDralon Member Posts: 38
    Being totally digital is a huge selling point for most of the supporters.  I have boxes of cardboard in my closet that is a testimony to the fact that having a physical card does not give it extra value.

Originally posted by Ginaz

That might be true, but luckily I live in a area where if I need somebody to play a game of cards with, especially one of the LCGs it's easily doable.  Even on a Sunday at 10PM.  As cool as a MMO TCG sounds, I'd rather actually sit across from people while I play my tabletop card games.  I like that social experience, chatting with people online isn't quite the same thing.  Once again, $2.00 a pack isn't bad, but it's still money I could use to throw at another expansion of cards or a MTG booster.  To each their own though, I just hope at some point they consider bringing it to tabletops everywhere.

Its good you have a group of people you can count on to play with at convenient times.  Most people don't.  This is a game for them.

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Knight backer here (trying to get in before the Grand King Master race shows up). I support Hex and I don't care who knows! none of my friends in college want to play it for some reason, though they LOVE magic (probably because they like legacy and are fine with 2k dollars for 1 deck)

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

Originally posted by pantheron
    Knight backer here (trying to get in before the Grand King Master race shows up). I support Hex and I don't care who knows! none of my friends in college want to play it for some reason, though they LOVE magic (probably because they like legacy and are fine with 2k dollars for 1 deck)

They probably have too much invested in Magic to consider leaving for something else and starting over again. 

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    thats probably true, I only play standard for the very reason that I can't afford the other formats, so jumping into a card game that (appears) cheaper seems more fun to me, and since its digital it fits a dorm-room lifestyle a lot better

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    thats probably true, I only play standard for the very reason that I can't afford the other formats, so jumping into a card game that (appears) cheaper seems more fun to me, and since its digital it fits a dorm-room lifestyle a lot better

Standard is more expensive than Legacy/Modern.  You're having to keep up with the rest of the pack every three months while with Legacy or Modern your cards are good forever.  I've been down that rabbit hole and I learned my lesson.

That said, M:TG is still ludicrously expensive and Wizards is gouging their customers just as well as the secondary market is with the Modern Masters packs at $6.99 MSRP.

With Hex, packs are $2 each, drafts are $7 each, and hopefully cards will be much cheaper than M:TG on the secondary market.

Originally posted by Badgered86

Standard is more expensive than Legacy/Modern.  You're having to keep up with the rest of the pack every three months while with Legacy or Modern your cards are good forever.  I've been down that rabbit hole and I learned my lesson.

That said, M:TG is still ludicrously expensive and Wizards is gouging their customers just as well as the secondary market is with the Modern Masters packs at $6.99 MSRP.

With Hex, packs are $2 each, drafts are $7 each, and hopefully cards will be much cheaper than M:TG on the secondary market.

Just to be clear, draft entry fee is only $1.  The $7 mentioned is the entry fee plus the price of the 3 booster packs, which, if bought directly from Crypto costs $2 each.  I'm willing to bet you will be able to buy boosters from players for much less or trade for them.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

For me personally, the whole point of a card game or tabletop game is to sit around a table with friends.. loses its appeal without that social aspect.  /shrug

Cool that such an innovative project is garnering so much enthusiastic support, though.  I'm probably going to try it up until I feel I need to spend money.. won't be buying digital cards.

• DralonDralon Member Posts: 38

Many people interested in Hex are forming guilds and have been building that social aspect over the last month, through sharing ideas, articles, dedicated youtube channels and guild websites.  It is the same social aspect you see in other MMO's where your companions are online, not across the table....so it's different, but still very social.

Personally the digital card aspect is the easiest to accept. I would rather have hundreds of dollars in digital cards that I can play with friends online, than thousands of dollars of cardboard sitting in my closet that I can't play, because of lack of players or interest.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    First thing I backed on Kickstarter - pretty excited.  Also glad they added it to the game list.
    Originally posted by redcapp

For me personally, the whole point of a card game or tabletop game is to sit around a table with friends.. loses its appeal without that social aspect.  /shrug

Cool that such an innovative project is garnering so much enthusiastic support, though.  I'm probably going to try it up until I feel I need to spend money.. won't be buying digital cards.

I've mentioned this before, but not everyone can play whenever they want with their friends.  Many people who are into TCG's can't or no longer want to leave their home and go sit down for a few hours and play.  They may only have a certain amount of time each week they can set aside.  An online TCG allows people to play when they want, for how long they want.  It's not a hard concept to grasp.

• SvennEthirSvennEthir Member UncommonPosts: 21

Not only is it easier to find people to play with... but the things they can do with the digital aspect are awesome. They have said many times they really want to explore the digital side of things so we'll see all sorts of cool stuff that just aren't feasible in a physical TCG.

Also, the PvE side of things is sounding pretty awesome.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I just can't get excited over a digital card game, I'd prefer to have tangible merchandise that I can hold in my hand when I throw down money for a game such as this one.

I guess it's all how one looks at it. For me, it's an MMO with TCG gameplay. I guess if I looked at it in the light of an online CCG, I'd probably have the same view as you.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre