Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate EVE online

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

I want to like this game...

But, everytime I come back to it once or twice a year for a week out of a one month subscription, I just get frustrated.

Here is the latest fiasco....

I realize, I need to do the storyline/career missions to make more ISK and get to the Sisters of EVE...ok, I am doing good, so this looks like fun.

I get to the exploration agent and do the scanning data mission........arrrrgggghhhhh! Here is what happens to make me HATE EVE and not recommend it to anyone or stick with it:

1) I do as the mission says, I scan the freaking data containers from the anomoly I detect using my probes first and then my scanner. I then am asked to hack the container.

2) On the ones I hack successfully, the container blasts forth the loot I need to complete the mission, but no matter what I cannot open it and take loot in the 3 seconds it allows you before it disappears! WTF!?!?!

I gave up after several hours...I guess i am too dumb to figure out what the issue is and the Corp folks are no help....too busy talking about WoW to help. 

A WASTED $15 again.

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

One lousy single mission has such an effect on your experience?

Or am I missing the point? Is that mission important?

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

EVE is a very special breed... I never felt that the PvE aspect of EVE was the main thick of the game. I'm sure alot of folks will say this.

CCP has been making improvements to the PvE experience though from my understanding. It's still a very spreadsheet heavy, PvP centric, player interaction game. Not a bad thing, it's just when you have something that nears such a pristine balance in gameplay there's bound to be something that just doesn't hold up to par.

The next developer to take on such a grand experience will hopefully learn from EVE's few mistakes and make experiences in gameplay like those even more epic.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

I honestly wouldn't worry about it man. You can make more money than the sisters of eve quests by ferrying goods along empire space easily. Though you will need some capital before that. If you can find a good buddy I would advise doing exploration/scanning. You can hit up some nice drone installations and kill everything while your buddy scoops up the loot and salvages stuff. Then you can split the money or possibly use the refined drone mats to craft stuff.

Or go join a better corp out in danger space and blow stuff up.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

That's the least of the reasons EVE is unenjoyable, haha!  The massive chunk of time you spent traveling to that mission which involved no gameplay (just time-wasting) is the much bigger failing of the game.

Thankfully there are enough gameplay-filled games out there that we needn't waste out time with an empty game experience.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• AtrusVAtrusV Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Believe it or not, I've just got bored after playing 5 or 6 years (with lots of breaks from time to time), and despite of that I could pay easily 2 accounts and still use new ships as long as I wanted.... the game just stopped being funny. The game is based in putting lots of effort to achieve goals, but once those goals, or mechanics, are not funny enough.... the entire game loses its attraction

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Axehilt

That's the least of the reasons EVE is unenjoyable, haha!  The massive chunk of time you spent traveling to that mission which involved no gameplay (just time-wasting) is the much bigger failing of the game.

Thankfully there are enough gameplay-filled games out there that we needn't waste out time with an empty game experience.

Lol like what games? The industry is still terrible right now and writled with broken sandboxes and WoW clones.  EVE is the only solid meaningful P2P game out there right now, bad players just wont see it.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

Lol like what games? The industry is still terrible right now and writled with broken sandboxes and WoW clones.  EVE is the only solid meaningful P2P game out there right now, bad players just wont see it.  

He just means it doesn't give you non-stop action ("gameplay") enough for his liking.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by MMORPGRIP

He just means it doesn't give you non-stop action ("gameplay") enough for his liking.

Right.

For me though, when I'm travelling from system to system (which is rarely something I'd describe as a "massive chunk of time"), I don't have enough time to manage my assets, my orders etc. with the efficiency I want to. There's always something to do while in travel. My guess is that Axehilt has not gotten deep enough (and we're not talking very deep) into EVE to even have basic "stuff" to manage.

If one were to describe mining as such, I wouldn't disagree; while I do find it enjoyable to mine semi AFK, it's not something that would have my eyes glued to the screen.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Almost every other game made (ever) has had a bigger focus on gameplay and less of a focus on downtime (travel, mining, etc) than EVE, so the list is rather large.

But to name a few:  WOW, TF2, LoL, Sim City, and Civilization.

These games achieve a similar (or superior) depth compared to EVE, and they do it without excessive empty timesinks (periods where there is little to no interaction with the game; where there is no gameplay.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

Decisions (interactions) are gameplay.  

A lack of decisions isn't.

An empty timesink isn't very interesting.

In games which aren't designed to be casual, decisions are core to what makes the experience interesting and fun.  It's a system of rules to be mastered, and the greater the player's mastery the better they'll do.  Whereas with EVE it's a lot of empty time-wasting between any important decision (and early on there aren't even good decisions to be found, between the big chunks of non-gameplay.) 

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

Hate is such a strong word OP....You must surely despise every line of code in this piece of programming. However I feel I should warn you that hate leads to the dark side.

Also if I understand correctly Eve isn't something that you go into and instantly excel at everything, and you need to dedicate a rather large chunk of time and getting to know the community and make some peers before you can enjoy it.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• Dr_ShivinskiDr_Shivinski Member UncommonPosts: 311

Almost every other game made (ever) has had a bigger focus on gameplay and less of a focus on downtime (travel, mining, etc) than EVE, so the list is rather large.

These games achieve a similar (or superior) depth compared to EVE, and they do it without excessive empty timesinks (periods where there is little to no interaction with the game; where there is no gameplay.)

Well you named about ZERO games that are in anyway deeper than EVE. Congrats on that. There are things to do while traveling, such as managing assets, if you have the skills placing buy/sell orders, making sure Goons don't fucking obliterate you in Niarja/Uedama...etc etc. Maybe if you set a goal or two in the game you might have some fun while having something to look forward to. I myself and training for a Revelation (Amarr Dreadnought) for wormhole shenanigans. Currently I partake in Faction Warfare and Incursions on seperate toons for loadsamoney.jpg.

Originally posted by Dr_Shivinski

Well you named about ZERO games that are in anyway deeper than EVE. Congrats on that. There are things to do while traveling, such as managing assets, if you have the skills placing buy/sell orders, making sure Goons don't fucking obliterate you in Niarja/Uedama...etc etc. Maybe if you set a goal or two in the game you might have some fun while having something to look forward to. I myself and training for a Revelation (Amarr Dreadnought) for wormhole shenanigans. Currently I partake in Faction Warfare and Incursions on seperate toons for loadsamoney.jpg.

Setting goals in EVE doesn't magically turn it into a densely interesting experience.  There's a lot of downtime, period.

• MMORPGRIPMMORPGRIP Member Posts: 90

Decisions (interactions) are gameplay.  

A lack of decisions isn't.

An empty timesink isn't very interesting.

In games which aren't designed to be casual, decisions are core to what makes the experience interesting and fun.  It's a system of rules to be mastered, and the greater the player's mastery the better they'll do.  Whereas with EVE it's a lot of empty time-wasting between any important decision (and early on there aren't even good decisions to be found, between the big chunks of non-gameplay.) 

These are your opinions and personal feelings on the game, but to many who actually play Eve  it is fun. Not everyone likes what you do. Besides....downtime (if you want to call it that, or "non-game play which you seem to fancy) is needed in EVE with the plethora of things you have to keep track of and do.

Load outs, which weapons are best to equip depending on your ship and intentions, quickest and fastest/safest routes to take for questing, transporting, or simply getting somewhere unscathed, etc, etc, etc...

Anyway....yeah, I have played Eve and know there is MUCH more to it than you either know...or want to acknowledge to reinforce your argument. But I can tell from the way you post that any lull what so ever in the action of a given game is not your thing, regardless if there is suppose to be or not. So of course Eve wouldn't be for you and you wouldn't look favorably on it.

And yes, I said I PLAYED Eve. I did so on and off for 2 years and it wasn't completely for me either...mainly because I wasn't big on PvP. Sure...there are things with it that could be better...but what game can't you say that about. But even though it wasn't my thing to stick with it doesn't mean it is a terrible game. I mean, it is niche and still thriving. CCP shows you don't have to be a huge company with millions and millions to be successful....and that you can be content and successful with moderate profit as well.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

Thanks for confirming you have no clue what your talking about. Lol lets get started. its blatantly obvious you havent done anything legit in eve, prob just a high sec miner. 

Those games you name, only one of them is an mmo, and requires retarded amounts of excessive boring time being sunk to be good so your killing your own arguement here.

Oh and none of those games come even slightly close to the depth of EVE. Anyone who actually plays could easily see that, thr amount of player interaction is amazing and is what drives the game.

I think the thing with EVE is that you need to make decisions, in all those games the decisions are made for you. If you want constant battling and treasures, you need the connections, and you gotta start somewhere so while your jumping systems pointlessly and mining did you ever once stop to think theres bigger things out there? 

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Thanks for confirming you have no clue what your talking about. Lol lets get started.

its blatantly obvious you havent done anything legit in eve, prob just a high sec miner. 

those games you name, only one of them is an mmo, and requires retarded amounts of excessive boring time being sunk to be good so your killing your own arguement here. 

oh and none of those games come even slightly close to the depth of EVE. Anyone who actually plays could essily see that, thr amount of player interaction is amazing.

I think the thing with EVE is that you need to make decisions, in all those games the decisions are made for you. If you want constant battling and treasures, you need the connections, and you gotta start somewhere so while your jumping systems pointlessly and mining did you ever once stop to think theres bigger things out there?

If EVE involves an area of the game which is devoid of fun, and that's the area new players naturally gravitate towards and are introduced to in order to establish themselves, it's no surprise why new players reject the game (and even players like myself who gave it a try like 3-4 separate times.)

Whether the games are MMO or not is irrelevant.  Players have game options out there where their play sessions can be filled with interesting, deep decision-making.  EVE fails to provide that to the same degree. 

EVE may involve plenty of player interaction, but it's not like the only game to magically do so.  Any PVP game will involve more frequent interaction, and also eliminate some of the less interesting interactions (lopsided fights.)  Which results in a more interesting skill-intensive (ie deep) game experience.

The decisions in the games I mention are by no means made for you.  You make them constantly, and because they're deep games all those little decisions matter.

These are your opinions and personal feelings on the game, but to many who actually play Eve  it is fun. Not everyone likes what you do. Besides....downtime (if you want to call it that, or "non-game play which you seem to fancy) is needed in EVE with the plethora of things you have to keep track of and do. 

Load outs, which weapons are best to equip depending on your ship and intentions, quickest and fastest/safest routes to take for questing, transporting, or simply getting somewhere unscathed, etc, etc, etc...

Anyway....yeah, I have played Eve and know there is MUCH more to it than you either know...or want to acknowledge to reinforce your argument. But I can tell from the way you post that any lull what so ever in the action of a given game is not your thing, regardless if there is suppose to be or not. So of course Eve wouldn't be for you and you wouldn't look favorably on it.

And yes, I said I PLAYED Eve. I did so on and off for 2 years and it wasn't completely for me either...mainly because I wasn't big on PvP. Sure...there are things with it that could be better...but what game can't you say that about. But even though it wasn't my thing to stick with it doesn't mean it is a terrible game. I mean, it is niche and still thriving. CCP shows you don't have to be a huge company with millions and millions to be successful....and that you can be content and successful with moderate profit as well. 

The root of what makes a game a game is interaction.  Decisions.  So when I say that's what gameplay is, it's not an opinion but simply how we define gameplay.  Gameplay is, inherently, decisions.

Periods of no decision-making are periods of non-gameplay.  While they may be justified in EVE's system in order to achieve the goal the game wants of having a lot of space and distance between things, that doesn't mean it's fun.

Empty timesinks being uninteresting is an opinion, but one which we can clearly assume is shared by the majority.  Give players 10 minutes in two games: one where they're traveling for 10 minutes of empty nearly AFKable gameplay in EVE, and another where they're in constant combat choosing between several abilities (which can be optimized for) and dealing with several enemy abilities (which can be optimized against.)   I assure you the overwhelming majority of players will be more interested in the game involving lots of gameplay.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

The root of what makes a game a game is interaction.  Decisions.  So when I say that's what gameplay is, it's not an opinion but simply how we define gameplay.  Gameplay is, inherently, decisions.

Periods of no decision-making are periods of non-gameplay.  While they may be justified in EVE's system in order to achieve the goal the game wants of having a lot of space and distance between things, that doesn't mean it's fun.

Empty timesinks being uninteresting is an opinion, but one which we can clearly assume is shared by the majority.  Give players 10 minutes in two games: one where they're traveling for 10 minutes of empty nearly AFKable gameplay in EVE, and another where they're in constant combat choosing between several abilities (which can be optimized for) and dealing with several enemy abilities (which can be optimized against.)   I assure you the overwhelming majority of players will be more interested in the game involving lots of gameplay.

The last paragraph, what your comparing is non-comparable, your comparison should be (using the only mmo you linked) is WoW travelling between say ogrimmar and barrens.

So comparing the travel between Wow (see above fro flight paths) and Eve - do you still contend that EvE is less engaging, once you click flight, you then you have no choice but to watch animations for 1-10minutes depending where you going in WoW? compared to worst case scenario of hitting warp to and then 1-3minutes later being at jump gate able to change your flight path, what your planning, WoW you have to sit, gawd help you if you click the wrong city you want to fly too

In terms of deep, you have focussed on teh one aspect of EvE the fact is if you want to go from A - B then yes you have to fly, but not one person is forced to fly, I have a toon who is 5years old (in october) and in all that time  has flown 7 jumps

He sits in station, trades, chats to players, and makes me craptons of money... So you see you dont need to fly, and whilst you fly if you choose to do nothing with your time, then your the one with the timesink not the game

The game does not force you to do nothing whilst you fly, you CHOOSE to do nothing, dont hate the game hate the player

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

If you dont pvp Eve can get realy tedious and boring for alot of people.
    But CCP also made the game ALOT more fun on the PvE department.

Iam getting bored atm of Eve after playing it hardcore again for 7 months, there is a war going on and we are fighting to capture Fountain region against what seems evryone who hates us CFC ( all of eve i think ^^ )

But you need to realy like Eve Online OP, if you dont like it just play something else :)

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Eve is by the most complex and content rich games out there - because it is a true sandbox that enables player driven content. Yet again we have this I'll-informed assertion that a billion different things to do is satisfying, it's not it's a smoke screen. Much like a cheap buffet when you look at each individual food item they are all stale and boring and a bit bland, I.e dailies, gathering, um more dailies, broken instances that you aoe and rush through without speaking to anyone.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Re travelling, this is a long old complaint by those that think content is sitting at said buffet table for 99.9% of the time. You won't get it but just like in real life when a lot of people go on holiday they look forward to the journey. I suspect people who want fast travel would love instant teleports in real life too.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• RexGarvinRexGarvin Member Posts: 28
    Ive played EVE off/on from the day it started.  I have three accounts and buy  PLEX  with in game currency to pay for them.  Every three or four months I will play my accounts for a week or two and get bored out of my mind!! 
  • DraneanDranean Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

I want to like this game...

But, everytime I come back to it once or twice a year for a week out of a one month subscription, I just get frustrated.

Here is the latest fiasco....

I realize, I need to do the storyline/career missions to make more ISK and get to the Sisters of EVE...ok, I am doing good, so this looks like fun.

I get to the exploration agent and do the scanning data mission........arrrrgggghhhhh! Here is what happens to make me HATE EVE and not recommend it to anyone or stick with it:

1) I do as the mission says, I scan the freaking data containers from the anomoly I detect using my probes first and then my scanner. I then am asked to hack the container.

2) On the ones I hack successfully, the container blasts forth the loot I need to complete the mission, but no matter what I cannot open it and take loot in the 3 seconds it allows you before it disappears! WTF!?!?!

I gave up after several hours...I guess i am too dumb to figure out what the issue is and the Corp folks are no help....too busy talking about WoW to help. 

A WASTED $15 again.

I hate Eve-Online as well...

It takes a lot of my time

Sucks me back into the game every so often

Makes my wife whine when I am exploring the universe

Food is cold at the time I get to it

And many many more reasons...

And still... one of the best games out there

• StinglockStinglock Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

I had the same problem last night doing the exploration mission. (Heck, I got stuck on those jumpgates on the first  mission, I had no idea they had to be used to progress the mission until I got into the first exploration quest.)

My problem was I wasn't using the tutorial scanner so I wasn't getting the reward, after changing this and hacking it twice I managed to see two proofs blast out. Open cargo dialog didn't become active like I expected.

EDIT: Oh damn, this account is ooolld.

Originally posted by w407309 

The last paragraph, what your comparing is non-comparable, your comparison should be (using the only mmo you linked) is WoW travelling between say ogrimmar and barrens.

So comparing the travel between Wow (see above fro flight paths) and Eve - do you still contend that EvE is less engaging, once you click flight, you then you have no choice but to watch animations for 1-10minutes depending where you going in WoW? compared to worst case scenario of hitting warp to and then 1-3minutes later being at jump gate able to change your flight path, what your planning, WoW you have to sit, gawd help you if you click the wrong city you want to fly too

In terms of deep, you have focussed on teh one aspect of EvE the fact is if you want to go from A - B then yes you have to fly, but not one person is forced to fly, I have a toon who is 5years old (in october) and in all that time  has flown 7 jumps

He sits in station, trades, chats to players, and makes me craptons of money... So you see you dont need to fly, and whilst you fly if you choose to do nothing with your time, then your the one with the timesink not the game

The game does not force you to do nothing whilst you fly, you CHOOSE to do nothing, dont hate the game hate the player

Well if we want to clean up the comparison we'd divide those 10 minutes into the actual gameplay players are likely to engage with in a session (as a percentage of the whole.)  So maybe you spend 1 minute (10%) of the WOW 10 minutes traveling between Barrens and Orgrimmar, because an average WOW session only involves maybe 10% traveling.  Whereas in EVE you'd be looking at more like 5 minutes spent traveling.  5 minutes spent doing basically nothing.  You would AFK those travel minutes if it wasn't for the fact that the game punishes you for AFKing an activity you wish you could AFK.

In terms of depth, travel isn't deep at all in EVE (although it enables a certain sort of depth for the PVP aspect of the game.)  EVE's depth must come from other sources.  The orbit/tracking bit of the game was the only thing that struck me as having some potential depth, but in the PVE missions I was running it was entirely inconsequential and there was no reward for playing skillfully only for taking the relatively safe bet and farming the crap out of missions which were boring as a result of their low skill challenge.

Which characterizes most of my criticism of EVE's "depth" really: that because it's a game of risk management most of your gameplay tends to be devoid of truly interesting decisions because everything is already predetermined upfront.  So the act of playing it isn't an act of skillfully determining a victor mid-battle, but simply resolving a foregone conclusion.  It's like if you tried to make a war film about a bunch of marines slaughtering a defenseless village: it just doesn't make for good entertainment.  95% and probably more EVE battles are that way: one side is the hapless murdered side, and the battle is so one-sided as to not be interesting.

And no, travel is not a choice in EVE.  It's fundamental to the type of game EVE is!  EVE is not a travel-optional game by any stretch.  It's not like GW2 where once you do the interesting travel (first-time exploration) you can skip it in the future (instant fast travel.)  Travel is required in EVE.  There are some valid arguments to be had regarding EVE's depth, but let's not stray into the realm of fantasy and pretend travel is something you choose to do -- it's forced upon you.