Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

BTW, those of you who are stoked about this change should probably go read up on it.  The Xbox One lost a bunch of, what I consider, neat and modern features because of this change.

So what.

Until they announce they are changing their attempts to FORCE indie companies to use a publisher no changes they make to make it less moronic is going to change my view of it.

They are using the idea that they are making a system of the future to try to control the industry and make fools of consumers. No amount of features makes what they are doing worth it. You don't give up freedoms or hand control over an industry to someone just so you can go "Oh look at the bells and whistles!".

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Sure, it's kind of like a modern Media Center PC, I guess.  Lol all you want, but this is where the market is heading.  These may very well be the last "consoles" ever made, at least by the big boys.  By the time these age out, your TV will likely just do it all, and access services in the cloud, including games.

lol that is NOT where the market is heading, that's the problem.

That's where YOU THINK the market is heading.

Nowadays the newer TV is already capable of the media center capabilities, and for "watered down PCs" people uses iPads or similar products.

Even Microsoft, Apple and Samsung and Sony realises that. Why do you think they are pushing in that direction in both handheld and TV arena, no new console for so long until now? lol

Your idea is very, very outdated (probably pre-dates the emergence of Smart TV and PDA phones and pads) and you THINK you are ahead :P

Really?  You believe 10 years from now people are still going to have shelves of equipment and disks stacked around their TVs?  You don't think TV manufacturers are going to continue making their TVs more powerful, and putting many of these features right inside, or better, building a TV that can just connect to services online and provide them all?

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

lol that is NOT where the market is heading, that's the problem.

That's where YOU THINK the market is heading.

Nowadays the newer TV is already capable of the media center capabilities, and for "watered down PCs" people uses iPads or similar products.

Even Microsoft, Apple and Samsung and Sony realises that. Why do you think they are pushing in that direction in both handheld and TV arena, no new console for so long until now? lol

Your idea is very, very outdated (probably pre-dates the emergence of Smart TV and PDA phones and pads) and you THINK you are ahead :P

Really?  You believe 10 years from now people are still going to have shelves of equipment and disks stacked around their TVs?  You don't think TV manufacturers are going to continue making their TVs more powerful, and putting many of these features right inside, or better, building a TV that can just connect to services online and provide them all?

lol what the hell r u talking about? Did you even read my post?

Do you even know what Smart TV is? Since when does Smart TV needs DVD? Smart TV ALREADY HAS MORE FEATURE INSIDE, lol - it is already streaming movies.

Which proves exactly my point why watered down pc aka always online console is even MORE irrelevant . If TV can do it and iPad can do the rest, why need to pay extra for a watered down pc aka always online console?

lol 10 years from now... it is has already happened. Just shows how outdated you are.

Now you are just losing it and gasping straws and arguing the irrelevant because you've already lost the console argument, lol... give it up dude

• HanthosHanthos Member UncommonPosts: 242
    This was a last ditch attempt to have you do all these things through Microsoft before Samsung, LG and Sony have you doing through their TV's within the next five years. They failed. As far as manufacturers go, consoles will get made by someone. Everyone has been claiming for fifteen years that games were going to an online only platform. How's that workin' out for you? This little episode should be proof that whether or not it's the wave of the future, most people aren't interested and will take their business elsewhere if pushed too hard.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

Exactly. I know where MS really stands. They will keep trying this until they get it. They just can't pull it off yet because of Sony.

One console will be enough for me. It will be a PS4.  

Sony already have a patent to block used games, and if they can pull off blocking used games, Sony will do it.

Sony also have a patent to pause F2P games to display ads

The only way to avoid all these shenanigans is to go Nintendo and Wii U, as they are not going anywhere in this direction, as they think their games are so awesome, they do not need this crap

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    In addition... this isn't a game console. It's a home entertainment console. Gaming is one of the many features of it.  Frankly, MS should have scrapped the whole Xbox legacy and started with a new name for this machine so people will understand what it is.

I loled.

So another words for watered down PC.

Once again, if people wants to buy a PC, they buy a PC, not a watered down PC. That was Microsoft error in thinking and even now they realised it - it is NOT about what the future is or what Microsoft wants, it is about what customer wants, because everything is driven by the market.

If you want fresh orange juice why the hell would you buy Fanta? lol

Sure, it's kind of like a modern Media Center PC, I guess.  Lol all you want, but this is where the market is heading.  These may very well be the last "consoles" ever made, at least by the big boys.  By the time these age out, your TV will likely just do it all, and access services in the cloud, including games.

The grand unified field theory of entertainment. They've been trying to sell that one for decades. No one is buying. Just as no one is buying 3D television. Just as Blu-ray is a dead end killed almost immediately by cheap digital storage. Some day companies will learn people want more freedom and universal availability across platforms not being locked into a single service by limited physical media or unworkable digital restrictions. The cloud is marketspeak for offsite storage. The hard drive in my laptop can store every book in the Library of Congress in digital form. Why is it I need a cloud for content storage? Digital delivery may be the future but the cloud is just a rehash of the old dumb terminal smart server network failure.

The question you should be asking is why you need to store your own copy of the library of congress, or why millions of people should have their own copy, when it will be ubiquitously available online via the net.  On other note, people lose shit all the time that they store on local storage due to disasters, hardware failures, theft, etc.  What are people doing now?  Using cloud backup for their data.  So now you have your own local copy, and you are paying to keep a copy in the cloud. Why not just pay a cloud service to provide it all?  

Do you believe this trend is not going to continue?  I think you may want to get caught up on tech.  Unless there is some major disruptive reason to end this trend, it's only going to continue.  Even nVidia is working on streaming games.  I don't see how this is so hard for some to understand.  10-15 years is a long time in tech.  Go look up what it looked like that long ago, and then factor in the acceleration factor.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    They had to, sony was killing them to the point they might as well not even made any xboxs you would have had to be a fool to buy one before this. The damage is done tho, people will remember this for awhile and wont buy one regardless, after about 2 months after release people will forget and start to buy them again.

The question you should be asking is why you need to store your own copy of the library of congress, or why millions of people should have their own copy, when it will be ubiquitously available online via the net.  

Why do you feel the need to own your own car when buses and trains can take you there.

Jesus Christ man...not everyone wants the same god damn thing and anyone thinking it should be FORCED on us is basically bat shit crazy. you are an amazingly closed minded person for someone claiming to have his fingers on the pulse of the future.

Hey want to know about some of the other things that are COMING AND NOTHING CAN STOP IT? Go watch any single one of the world of tomorrow videos...so quick, sell your car and never buy one again, flying cars ARE the future and nothing can stop progress.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    It would have killed their sales and their image.  Still going to hack it like I did my 360.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by tawess
    I This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers,

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

Either way, Sony's policies were in the right place, luck or not. MS's wasn't. It's natural for corporations to try and overreach, but then the people speak up and suddenly they remember they're outnumbered... and need money. Sony didn't try to overreach but MS did.

Probably because Sony learned their lesson last time with the release of PS3. Or have we forgotten it was MS that was considered the "gamers friend"<-lol, and Sony the cash grabbers last Gen.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    It would have killed their sales and their image.  Still going to hack it like I did my 360.

This is the reason why they wanted the 24 Hour Authentication Check.

Originally posted by Mannish

It still wouldn't have stopped it, the connection process can be spoofed which is how all cloud based games have been hacked. Just look at ONlive lol.

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Then they realized it was a stupid idea.  

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541
    It's really a shame that they gutted the Family Share plan. It was one of the things that was making me really interested in it.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by tawess
    I This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers,

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

Either way, Sony's policies were in the right place, luck or not. MS's wasn't. It's natural for corporations to try and overreach, but then the people speak up and suddenly they remember they're outnumbered... and need money. Sony didn't try to overreach but MS did.

Probably because Sony learned their lesson last time with the release of PS3. Or have we forgotten it was MS that was considered the "gamers friend"<-lol, and Sony the cash grabbers last Gen.

Sony weren't the cash grabbers they just lacked focus. They tried to come out way to big with such an expensive system and features. Blu-ray(which was expensive at the time) jacked up the price, they didn't have a very solid launch lineup. To top it off they were a lot later t han the 360. It was just a bad launch really.

I don't recall anyone saying they were the cash grabbers. In fact they didn't even offer a premium PSN+ for years and never charged to play online games, access Netflix etc. They were similar to the Xbone in that they were trying to be an entire media center rather than a dedicated gaming device, those roles seem to be reversed this time around.

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371
    I coulda sworn in an interview he said peaple were over reacting and that in reality it would be fine, man how peaple can change just like that.
    Originally posted by ABRaquel
    It's really a shame that they gutted the Family Share plan. It was one of the things that was making me really interested in it.

I think maybe down the road this feature will return. They should just make it so that you must be online to use this feature. That way its a choice for people who want to use it and nonthing is forced.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

I think maybe down the road this feature will return. They should just make it so that you must be online to use this feature. That way its a choice for people who want to use it and nonthing is forced.

I hope they plan to implement this in the future, until then I'll stick with the PS4 until X1 gets cheaper and gets the Family Share back.

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    And what about Microsofts used game policy? I do not like it and will not buy the Xbox One because of this.
    Originally posted by Sal1
    And what about Microsofts used game policy? I do not like it and will not buy the Xbox One because of this.

That's been changed. You will be able to buy, sell and trade just like you have been doing for years.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I am glad for the ppl who had concerns about being able to play there games in areas where they do not have an internet connection.

I still hope that the initial setup (for which it seems you still need to connect) will be a good way to stop pirating tho.

I still will get a PS4 first tho the DRM never concerned me to begin with so the changes dont matter to me .

If they would let me power down the Kinect (and i mean really power it down not a standby mode that can be overwritten anytime) i would considered getting the Ps4 and a Xbox1 at release till than itsa PS4 only.

Originally posted by jtcgs

It still wouldn't have stopped it, the connection process can be spoofed which is how all cloud based games have been hacked. Just look at ONlive lol.

What happened with Onlive? I thought that service died awhile back.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

If they had pushed reasons for having DRM and benefits of being always online instead of saying you HAVE to do this and you'll like it or you can buy a 360 instead!!!  they may of garnered more support.MS only has their own arrogance and marketing to blame.

Also I think they are kinda acting like petulant children right now instead of finding compromise like only using constant DRM checks for games that a user has got through sharing instead of purchasing for example,they are saying FINE no DRM checks and no used games restrictions but we are taking our toys and going home!!!

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Damage is done, this is going to continue to be a huge blemish on Microsoft for a long time.  It also shows the gamers(you and me) that Microsoft wants control vs providing gamers what they want, they clearly don't care.  The only reason they reversed this was because of the poor pre-sales in comparison to Sony, if the pre-sales weren't poor but people complained nonetheless they wouldn't of made these changes. 
    Originally posted by jtcgs

What happened with Onlive? I thought that service died awhile back.

awhile back? its only been going for 3 years. they found a way to hack their service, though some of it has been fixed, people keep finding a way to play games without paying for them and even cheating on the games.

anyway im done posting for the night...this James Gandolfini news I stumbled across got me down to the point im feeling the need to drink.