Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Meh, still not buying either of them.
  • Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

That's good for xbox fans.

Still getting the PS4. Not at launch tho.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I think you all sound like a bunch of luddites, afraid of the big bad internet.  I've had some form of always-on broadband in my homes since about 1998, so I have trouble understanding why having your console connected to the internet in 2013 is so hard to swallow.  I guess I'm just used to be connected all the time via my phone, tablet, computers, etc.

A luddite...seriously? Apple to Orange.

Broadband is not available everywhere.

Broadband is available in storm laden areas.

Internet connectivity can drop.

Power can go out for extended periods due to natural disasters.

Some people want to own what they buy and not LEASE it.

Some people want to be able to borrow what they own to anyone the fecking hell they want because its THEIRS.

Some people have jobs that send them all over the god damn place and they want to bring what they OWN with them and actually be able to use it.

Some people live in countries that don't even carry most games and have to buy from outside the country.

Some people, some people think that because it doesn't effect them personally, that everyone else should just shut up and take it or they are too damn small minded to think it could possible effect anyone else since it doesn't bother them.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

MS has proven consistently that they don't value their customers rights or privacy.  Too little, too late. 

It is nice to see them acknowledge that they took things too far, though.  Everyone being vocal regarding their concerns has proven to be effective.  Glad people didn't give in to those trying to tout their plans as positive.  The consumers used their power to put the pressure on this business, and it worked.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306

Frankly, I consider Blu Ray to be legacy, at this point.  Sure it's still useful today, but will it be in 3-5 years?  I can't even remember the last time I purchased software on optical media.  I still buy the *very* occasional movie on Blu Ray for the superior picture, but 95% of my movie watching is streaming HD from FiOS TV or Netflix.  I built my latest gaming computer without an optical drive too when I realized I barely ever use it.

(I do own a portable one I plug in once in a blue moon for burning OS images for my job ~ though I could use a stick instead)

It's actually pretty funny to me that I use my kick-ass Samsung Blu-Ray player primarily for Netflix.

Wholeheartedly agree, my gaming machine doesn't actually have any optical drives either haha - though it has been an issue on one or two occasions when purchasing a DVD would be faster and/or more convenient. Did make the rig that little bit cheaper and allowed me to get a bit more juice instead. ;)

Ha, brilliant! Will need to think about doing the same, though with a damn comfy and expensive computer chair I can handle it at the desk for a few more months!

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Good move M$, still getting a PS4.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by jtcgs

I think you all sound like a bunch of luddites, afraid of the big bad internet.  I've had some form of always-on broadband in my homes since about 1998, so I have trouble understanding why having your console connected to the internet in 2013 is so hard to swallow.  I guess I'm just used to be connected all the time via my phone, tablet, computers, etc.

Some people want to be able to borrow what they own to anyone the fecking hell they want because its THEIRS.

Some people have jobs that send them all over the god damn place and they want to bring what they OWN with them and actually be able to use it.

Some people live in countries that don't even carry most games and have to buy from outside the country.

Some people, some people think that because it doesn't effect them personally, that everyone else should just shut up and take it or they are too damn small minded to think it could possible effect anyone else since it doesn't bother them.

Guess what, there's lots of things that aren't available everywhere.  Should we go ahead and impede mankind until the fringes of the world catch up with the vast majority?  People in 3rd world countries have bigger fish to fry than a $400-$500 console with $60-$70 games.

I especially love the natural disaster excuse, because playing your game console should be your primary concern during a major disaster, and hey... you can't be expected to do something else for a little while during a minor internet outage.

Sorry, but I don't feel like the majority should be held back technologically for the relatively few exceptions.

Also, go read a EULA.  You don't own most of the software you pay for, and that's not going to change anytime even remotely soon.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Got to agree with all these points, I don;t have any major internet issues - infact it's damn great, but it's the principle behind it at this stage. People still have many issues and if Microsoft wish to have an always-online console then they should start investing heavily into internet infrastructure.

And I do prefer to own games, much like books - silly Kindle, even if I can make excuses to purchase from Steam merely for the £2 prices - otherwise it would always be GOG.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by atziluth
    Originally posted by cgplayer
    You guys are just sad.  Whine and cry about all that crap most of which is already being done on PC games.  Internet connection required, cant sell, etc etc.  Now MS goes ahead and changes course and your still whining and crying.  Move on already sad plain sad some people are.  

Please name a PC system or even a game that locks you out if you don't connect to the internet every 24 hours. Nothing?

It was a horrible idea that had nothing to do with evolution of gaming and had everything to do with forcing direction of revenue streams down the throats of their buyers. 

On another note, if these new consoles exist for 5-8 years again, that means you may be using them until the year 2022 or so. Does anyone think cloud services won't be the norm by the year 2022?  As a 20 year IT tech who see's my whole business model changing over the next five years or so, I believe you are insane if you don't see it coming.  I'm not referring to cloud-streaming games, but SaaS, constant cloud connectivity, etc. Ubiquitous computing.

If you don't have always-on broadband in 2014, perhaps you should put that console money towards MOVING to a place where you can get a real internet connection.

Funny I have been in IT for 20+ years as well. You are calling people names yet failing utterly to understand the basic complaint being made. It is not that the Xbox 1 requires an internet connection. It is that in order for you system to continue to operate and the way purchased products can be used was completely dictated to the consumer. This is not an anti-internet sentiment this is an anti-totalitarian argument when it comes to gaming. 

Cloud services are a great evolution in internet interaction, it does NOT demand connectivity within rigid intervals or completely lock the user down. Understand the argument before throwing around useless self-aggrandizement and calling people names would be a good baby step for you. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

You guys are just sad.  Whine and cry about all that crap most of which is already being done on PC games.  Internet connection required, cant sell, etc etc.  Now MS goes ahead and changes course and your still whining and crying.  Move on already sad plain sad some people are.  

Please name a PC system or even a game that locks you out if you don't connect to the internet every 24 hours. Nothing?

It was a horrible idea that had nothing to do with evolution of gaming and had everything to do with forcing direction of revenue streams down the throats of their buyers. 

On another note, if these new consoles exist for 5-8 years again, that means you may be using them until the year 2022 or so. Does anyone think cloud services won't be the norm by the year 2022?  As a 20 year IT tech who see's my whole business model changing over the next five years or so, I believe you are insane if you don't see it coming.  I'm not referring to cloud-streaming games, but SaaS, constant cloud connectivity, etc. Ubiquitous computing.

If you don't have always-on broadband in 2014, perhaps you should put that console money towards MOVING to a place where you can get a real internet connection.

Funny I have been in IT for 20+ years as well. You are calling people names yet failing utterly to understand the basic complaint being made. It is not that the Xbox 1 requires an internet connection. It is that in order for you system to continue to operate and the way purchased products can be used was completely dictated to the consumer. This is not an anti-internet sentiment this is an anti-totalitarian argument when it comes to gaming. 

Cloud services are a great evolution in internet interaction, it does NOT demand connectivity within rigid intervals or completely lock the user down. Understand the argument before throwing around useless self-aggrandizement and calling people names would be a good baby step for you. 

Totalitarian?  Give me a break.

The argument is not hard to understand, and many of the people, such as the guy above, use lack of internet connectivity as their primary argument, probably because they can't think of a better one.   The whole reaction to this has been ludicrous and knee-jerk to say the least.  I hate to break it to you, but in the coming years just about everything that resembles a computer is going to require always-on connectivity, especially if it uses internet services as one of its primary design features like the One does.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

The argument is not hard to understand, and many of the people, such as the guy above, use lack of internet connectivity as their primary argument, probably because they can't think of a better one.   The whole reaction to this has been ludicrous and knee-jerk to say the least.  I hate to break it to you, but in the coming years just about everything that resembles a computer is going to require always-on connectivity, especially if it uses internet services as one of it's primary design features like the One does.

I actually recommend you take some time to read George Orwell's 1984, you will see some terrifying and striking resemblances to current events, and technology uses.

In addition... this isn't a game console. It's a home entertainment console. Gaming is one of the many features of it.  Frankly, MS should have scrapped the whole Xbox legacy and started with a new name for this machine so people will understand what it is.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Guess what, there's lots of things that aren't available everywhere.  Should we go ahead and impede mankind until the fringes of the world catch up with the vast majority?  People in 3rd world countries have bigger fish to fry than a $400-$500 console with $60-$70 games.

I especially love the natural disaster excuse, because playing your game console should be your primary concern during a major disaster, and hey... you can't be expected to do something else for a little while during a minor internet outage.

Sorry, but I don't feel like the majority should be held back technologically for the relatively few exceptions.

Also, go read a EULA.  You don't own most of the software you pay for, and that's not going to change anytime even remotely soon.

No, you are right. It only makes perfect sense for one of the only two video game systems to be designed for 1/10 the gaming population because at some point in the future it will be for all or most of them...a future farther off into the distance than they thought.

This type of system shouldn't be released for another 10 or so years after GOOGLE FIBER is actually being used by the majority of the population of the planet not to mention one that is more reliable...and maybe, perhaps at least wean Europe off this idea of charging per GB for ISP connections, something I left off the list I gave before.

BTW, I do thank you for bring third world countries into this for some reason...is your defense really that weak or do you actually know so little about western civilization?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by Silverbarr

The argument is not hard to understand, and many of the people, such as the guy above, use lack of internet connectivity as their primary argument, probably because they can't think of a better one.   The whole reaction to this has been ludicrous and knee-jerk to say the least.  I hate to break it to you, but in the coming years just about everything that resembles a computer is going to require always-on connectivity, especially if it uses internet services as one of it's primary design features like the One does.

I actually recommend you take some time to read George Orwell's 1984, you will see some terrifying and striking resemblances to current events, and technology uses.

hahah... I read more than you can imagine.  1984, Animal Farm, Fahrenheit 451, etc.  I get it (WAKE UP SHEEPLE!!!).

While I'm not all that happy about the surveillance state we live in today (and asked for, frankly through a series of slippery slopes out of pure fear), I don't equate the Xbox One with PRISM, Carnivore, Stuxnet or anything else.  It's a media console.  Can it be abused?  Sure, any tech can. 

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190

The argument is not hard to understand, and many of the people, such as the guy above, use lack of internet connectivity as their primary argument, probably because they can't think of a better one.   The whole reaction to this has been ludicrous and knee-jerk to say the least.

So you would buy a car that if you failed to take it to a gas station everyday it would stop working until you contact the dealership. Oh and by the way if you want to sell that care you can only do it if you know the person or it is an authorized dealership. All the while the manufacturer claims it is a new "feature" of the model. 

It was a money grab disguised as next gen enhancements. Pretending it isn't is simply being intellectually dishonest. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

lol dude give it up. Even Microsoft has give in. Who are you to argue?

Fact is, regardless of all your fanciful words:

1. DRM is going to hurt Xbox One, Microsoft realized it and backtracked.

2. A lot of the Xbox players are active servicemen/women, which confirms a lot of the opinions on this forum that "always online" DRM will kill that market.

3. People just don't like always online DRM in general for console regardless of reason - it is not a PC, and ppl buy it because of that. If they want to buy a PC they will buy a PC, not a watered down PC and call it console.

Why are you arguing with the market? You are not going to change their opinion. You also are not even going to change the neutrals either on this issue, since not even Microsoft is on your side now.

• Darkness690Darkness690 Member Posts: 174
    Originally posted by erictlewis

still not buying into it, there entire xbox one is built around the conetix camera to operate.  Well I don't want microsoft and or big brother using that camera to spy on me.  So for me the number one reason not get the xbox one is still an issue. 

Not even if it comes with a tinfoil hat?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Vannor
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

I am not getting a PS4 because it had no games for me. If they did not change this policy then I would have gotten no console. It is the games that won me over for Xbox ONE. If I ended up getting a PS4 then I would be an idiot - Lets go buy a PS4 to play no games on it, only to stick it to MS. The Xbox ONE has 9 exclusives that I like the look of, but 0 PS4 ones, plus then there are the multiplatform games - that is the most any new console has offered. I will get a PS4 when they put some games I want.

In some ways it was good for gamers. You could share games with other people, and reduce the number of games to buy, sharing with one other person, you could buy just half the number of games you want - you buy 5 games, and then your friend buys 5 games, and you both have 10 games to play, now you both have to go and buy 10 games each, so that it is 20 games sold and not 10. And then they still allowed you to trade them in, although not the digital downloaded games, but you could still share them. Now the disc has to be in the drive, and can not share downloaded games = more sales to Microsoft.

Their policies was not as bad as PC DRM, but better the devil you know (the same as what it is now), and it will keep the Xbox ONE has a retro console in 30 years time.

• JijeryfritsJijeryfrits Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Sweet

You guys can buy what you want.  If you think Sony is going to be any better, good luck to you. 

BTW, those of you who are stoked about this change should probably go read up on it.  The Xbox One lost a bunch of, what I consider, neat and modern features because of this change.

Hopefully they will eventually make it all work.  I, for one, liked the idea of cloud-stored game collections and whatnot.  From what I am reading right now, that's gone.

Here's an article... and check out the mixed reactions in the comments:

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/19/microsoft-heeds-gamer-feedback-dumps-xbox-one-drm-restrictions/

In addition... this isn't a game console. It's a home entertainment console. Gaming is one of the many features of it.  Frankly, MS should have scrapped the whole Xbox legacy and started with a new name for this machine so people will understand what it is.

I loled.

So another words for watered down PC.

Once again, if people wants to buy a PC, they buy a PC, not a watered down PC. That was Microsoft error in thinking and even now they realised it - it is NOT about what the future is or what Microsoft wants, it is about what customer wants, because everything is driven by the market.

If you want fresh orange juice why the hell would you buy Fanta? lol

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

I loled.

So another words for watered down PC.

Once again, if people wants to buy a PC, they buy a PC, not a watered down PC. That was Microsoft error in thinking and even now they realised it - it is NOT about what the future is or what Microsoft wants, it is about what customer wants, because everything is driven by the market.

If you want fresh orange juice why the hell would you buy Fanta? lol

Sure, it's kind of like a modern Media Center PC, I guess.  Lol all you want, but this is where the market is heading.  These may very well be the last "consoles" ever made, at least by the big boys.  By the time these age out, your TV will likely just do it all, and access services in the cloud, including games. MS and Sony will just make it a service and license it to TV manufacturers.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The fact that Blu-Ray got chosen over HD disks also shows that Sony cares more about their bottom line than they do about the consumer.

I'm afraid that the fact that Blu-Ray was just a better system for storage compared to HD was the fact that it was chosen.

Blu-Ray is not a better storage medium.  That really went to HD which was a wide open format.  There are some compelling reasons why Blu-Ray should have won, but the truth is that Sony collected a stronger group to promote the format and it won by strong-arm not merits.  They didn't do that because they cared about consumers, which was my point.  They did it to corner the market with a proprietary format something they're famous for.  Proprietary formats are rarely in the best interest of the consumer.

You also edited out my other point which is Sony shipped root kits in CDs because it protected their media with DRM.  Again, they recently exposed tens of millions of personal user data through the security breach cause by their negligence, negligence caused by them putting the dollar in front of consumer care.

Sony doesn't care about the consumer any more than Microsoft, Red Hat, Ubuntu, Oracle, Dell, IBM, Intel, AMD, or any other major tech company.

Out of all this, the main thing that flags up is that you seem to believe that only Sony has ever been hacked. MS has been hacked many, many times. Yet Sony have been getting this argument thrown because it was big news ;) and published through media outlets throughout the world - don't get sucked into that media trap. BTW I have an XBOX360 and not a PS3.

From what I can research on the subject of Blu Ray vs HD, it appears that yes at the beginning there were many little differences but HDTV has a lot less available bandwidth than Blu Ray, which means the video and audio needs to get a higher compression, the more you compress the more detail is lost. This alone shows which has the potential for more improvements and advancement and therefore would win in my opinion. I should mention that this will probably always be a subjective argument.

Sure, it's kind of like a modern Media Center PC, I guess.  Lol all you want, but this is where the market is heading.  These may very well be the last "consoles" ever made, at least by the big boys.  By the time these age out, your TV will likely just do it all, and access services in the cloud, including games.

lol that is NOT where the market is heading, that's the problem.

That's where YOU THINK the market is heading.

Nowadays the newer TV is already capable of the media center capabilities, and for "watered down PCs" people uses iPads or similar products.

Even Microsoft, Apple and Samsung and Sony realises that. Why do you think they are pushing in that direction in both handheld and TV arena, no new console for so long until now? lol

Your idea is very, very outdated (probably pre-dates the emergence of Smart TV and PDA phones and pads) and you THINK you are ahead :P