Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

It's still a piece of crap compared to the PS4 and this is nothing but:

"Ok, we realize we where going to loose millions upon millions with all of our plans for it so....there!  PLEASE BUY IT!!!"

Don't forget, that's not the ONLY reason people where face palming/raging at it..

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Originally posted by Jadedangel1
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy

Too little too late. If they can switch their policies at a whim once they can do it again. Damage is done. 

This is my thought on it. Not that I was planning on getting a X1 anyway, but if I was, I would be concerned that they would re-implement those features after initial sales of the unit. With everything digital on the box, its only a matter of them "flicking a switch" on their side anyway once the sheep shell out their money.

I'd be exactly the same. But you will find those out there now who are thinking... "Yay! now am gonna buy x1 coz dey changed it".

They will change their policy over the few years like they have done for the 360. People don't realize they're being conned, you can do more than what an xbox can on the PC and its cheaper with no extra internet fees.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    in the end though the intent has not changed only their delivery. I imagine DRM will still make its way onto xbone just Instead of of ring there at launch it will be introduced gradually in patches.

They still want to do it, now they are just changing the way they achieve that goal.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I don't like a camera watching and listening to everything I do 24/7.

You got a smart phone? They do that too you know.

Still don't buy an X1 though. :)

oh snap!  *smashes Droid with a hammer*

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

I hope people still wont buy it they tried to screw over the gamers and lost but that doesn't mean they deserve our money. show microsoft that they can't do this stupid crap and get away with it

buy a difference console.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    in the end though the intent has not changed only their delivery. I imagine DRM will still make its way onto xbone just Instead of of ring there at launch it will be introduced gradually in patches. They still want to do it, now they are just changing the way they achieve that goal.

DRM will snake it's way onto consoles but it will be the third party game publisher's doing it.it will be your choice to buy games doing it or not.

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Who cares consoles suck anyways for the price of either XB1 or PS4 i could have a nice upgrade to my pc.
  • fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Originally posted by fayknaym

I thought Gaikai was just streaming games? How I understood the xbox cloud system, was that since you were always online, the games would actually change the way they play based on the data they were receiving from the server. Like they showed a racing game called forza and they said the AI you were racing against would adjust based on information obtained from the "cloud." Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I still think the sharing thing was cool. The online restriction was necessary for it to work because you were only allowed to share with a certain number of people at a time or only a certain amount of people could play it at one time, so it would need to periodically check that. 

You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is, 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia.' But only slightly less well known is this! 'The word 'Cloud' means 'A remote server that could be sitting in a closet or in a multi-million dollar datacenter and you'll never know which!'.

There is nothing 'magical' about the "cloud". It's all data sitting or moving through a remote server or servers somewhere. That's been going on for decades. We used to call them 'File servers' or 'Application servers'.

:)

Well, how I understood it was that since evreyone would be connected to their servers, data on the play styles of players all over the world would be collected and the AI of the game could be readjusted and redistributed to the players based on that information, so that it would better match the behavior of a real player. I know cloud technically just means a bunch of servers, but I'd never seen this type of practical application of the "cloud" used for games.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

I don't like a camera watching and listening to everything I do 24/7.

You got a smart phone? They do that too you know.

Still don't buy an X1 though. :)

And that ladies and gentlemen is why I place my phone into another room when I am about to have sex ;) or masterbate.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    in the end though the intent has not changed only their delivery. I imagine DRM will still make its way onto xbone just Instead of of ring there at launch it will be introduced gradually in patches. They still want to do it, now they are just changing the way they achieve that goal.

DRM will snake it's way onto consoles but it will be the third party game publisher's doing it.it will be your choice to buy games doing it or not.

Can you say Origin. It'll be the evil empire EA. I suspect they were the ones asking for this in the first place.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Surprised?  Im not..

theyre trying to patch holes in a potential sinking ship.Damage control.

If I were an Xbox fan,I probably still wouldnt buy their product.They already let their douche baggery show.

Too little too late.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    You can say they listened to consumers but really we have Sony and Nintendo to thank for this about face.Still it is surprising as Microsoft always seems to be so insular and live in it's own world.

You mean like Sony bricking thousands of PS3s with their latest update, and forcing some people to pay $100 to fix it?  (those who could not boot into safe mode)

You can pretend Sony is somehow special, but they are just a corporation with the same bottom line:  making maximum profits for their shareholders.

What cracks me up is how many of you have made Sony your Jesus with the current consoles, while completely ignoring all the GIANT problems they've had with the PS3, and that the Xbox dominated it for the past several years.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The fact that Blu-Ray got chosen over HD disks also shows that Sony cares more about their bottom line than they do about the consumer.

I'm afraid that the fact that Blu-Ray was just a better system for storage compared to HD was the fact that it was chosen.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    You can say they listened to consumers but really we have Sony and Nintendo to thank for this about face.Still it is surprising as Microsoft always seems to be so insular and live in it's own world.

You mean like Sony bricking thousands of PS3s with their latest update, and forcing some people to pay $100 to fix it?  (those who could not boot into safe mode)

You can pretend Sony is somehow special, but they are just a corporation with the same bottom line:  making maximum profits for their shareholders.

What cracks me up is how many of you have made Sony your Jesus with the current consoles, while completely ignoring all the GIANT problems they've had with the PS3, and that the Xbox dominated it for the past several years.

You are talking about a situation that is within the 24 hours of occuring, I'm sure Sony will find a way to reimburse folks that had to pay the cash. Hell, this is a lot more than 24 hours since E3....

Sony are definitely not special, and corporations do have a main agenda: To make profit.

And yes, Sony did make errors with this gen, mainly due to the fact the PS2 was such a massive success. Just like it would appear that Microsoft is now making the same error in judgements due to the fact that the XBOX360 was such a massive success.

But which corporation is actively attempting to appease not just the publishers like MS but the developers and the consumers? I'd definitely say Sony currently. Sony are repairing their image and making a great job of it, MS appears to not be too bothered about that image currently.

EDIT: Bah double post, apologies.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Can you say Origin. It'll be the evil empire EA. I suspect they were the ones asking for this in the first place.

Can you say steambox.  But probably followed by origin.image

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Microsoft have had their share of problems to go along with this current one..

all console companies shit is stanky.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I want a LOT more info on this because this doesn't seem right.

With the system this far in with its cloud based specs HOW can they make this change? The system was given less ram and SLOWER ram because the games were only going to be PARTLY on the system with the rest on the cloud and thus being run by the network.

Not only that, but the games were being programmed with being stored on the cloud in mind meaning the games aren't being made using only the consoles specs...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    The fact that Blu-Ray got chosen over HD disks also shows that Sony cares more about their bottom line than they do about the consumer.

I'm afraid that the fact that Blu-Ray was just a better system for storage compared to HD was the fact that it was chosen.

The electronics world had not yet decided on an HD optical media standard when these two consoles were developed/released.  In fact, it wasn't even a fully resolved question until about 2008 after Warner Brothers dropped the HD-DVD format and those left on the fence followed them, years after the 360 released in 2005.  Microsoft and Sony rolled the dice and MS lost that battle.  Could have gone the other way. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by cgplayer
    You guys are just sad.  Whine and cry about all that crap most of which is already being done on PC games.  Internet connection required, cant sell, etc etc.  Now MS goes ahead and changes course and your still whining and crying.  Move on already sad plain sad some people are.  

Please name a PC system or even a game that locks you out if you don't connect to the internet every 24 hours. Nothing?

It was a horrible idea that had nothing to do with evolution of gaming and had everything to do with forcing direction of revenue streams down the throats of their buyers. 

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• atziluthatziluth Member UncommonPosts: 1,190
    Originally posted by jtcgs

I want a LOT more info on this because this doesn't seem right.

With the system this far in with its cloud based specs HOW can they make this change? The system was given less ram and SLOWER ram because the games were only going to be PARTLY on the system with the rest on the cloud and thus being run by the network.

Not only that, but the games were being programmed with being stored on the cloud in mind meaning the games aren't being made using only the consoles specs...

Welcome to marketing 101.

-Atziluth-

- Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by tawess
    I This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers,

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

that's not luck...that's called good business.  hmmm, give your customer what they want whilst pleasing them...sounds like a winning business plan to me.

Microsoft and Sony rolled the dice and MS lost that battle.  Could have gone the other way. 

It's always like that though, but from the looks of things and the way that the hardware is currently Blu Ray appears to just be a better standard, personally I think the advantages are negligible but as with everything, the consumer chose which would go forward.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by erictlewis

still not buying into it, there entire xbox one is built around the conetix camera to operate.  Well I don't want microsoft and or big brother using that camera to spy on me.  So for me the number one reason not get the xbox one is still an issue. 

they are agents of the NWO.

Originally posted by atziluth
    Originally posted by cgplayer
    You guys are just sad.  Whine and cry about all that crap most of which is already being done on PC games.  Internet connection required, cant sell, etc etc.  Now MS goes ahead and changes course and your still whining and crying.  Move on already sad plain sad some people are.  

Please name a PC system or even a game that locks you out if you don't connect to the internet every 24 hours. Nothing?

It was a horrible idea that had nothing to do with evolution of gaming and had everything to do with forcing direction of revenue streams down the throats of their buyers. 

I think you all sound like a bunch of luddites, afraid of the big bad internet.  I've had some form of always-on broadband in my homes since about 1998, so I have trouble understanding why having your console connected to the internet in 2013 is so hard to swallow.  I guess I'm just used to be connected all the time via my phone, tablet, computers, etc.

On another note, if these new consoles exist for 5-8 years again, that means you may be using them until the year 2022 or so. Does anyone think cloud services won't be the norm by the year 2022?  As a 20 year IT tech who see's my whole business model changing over the next five years or so, I believe you are insane if you don't see it coming.  I'm not referring to cloud-streaming games, but SaaS, constant cloud connectivity, etc. Ubiquitous computing.

If you don't have always-on broadband in 2014, perhaps you should put that console money towards MOVING to a place where you can get a real internet connection.

Originally posted by Silverbarr
     Microsoft and Sony rolled the dice and MS lost that battle.  Could have gone the other way. 

It's always like that though, but from the looks of things and the way that the hardware is currently Blu Ray appears to just be a better standard, personally I think the advantages are negligible but as with everything, the consumer chose which would go forward.

Frankly, I consider Blu Ray to be legacy, at this point.  Sure it's still useful today, but will it be in 3-5 years?  I can't even remember the last time I purchased software on optical media.  I still buy the *very* occasional movie on Blu Ray for the superior picture, but 95% of my movie watching is streaming HD from FiOS TV or Netflix.  I built my latest gaming computer without an optical drive too when I realized I barely ever use it.

(I do own a portable one I plug in once in a blue moon for burning OS images for my job ~ though I could use a stick instead)

It's actually pretty funny to me that I use my kick-ass Samsung Blu-Ray player primarily for Netflix.