Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Arkham, VAPosts: 10,910Member

Originally posted by fayknaym
    Originally posted by tkreep Originally posted by fayknaym I'm surprised but also a bit disappointed. I know this is something that there was a lot of outcry over but their online only system did allow for some unique features that wouldn't be available to other consoles, such as sharing you library of games with people on your friends list and their "cloud based" game features. Disappointing to see that's not the case anymore. Not that I had any interest in xbox in the first place, I just thought the sharing was a really cool and distinguishing feature. I don't know what is the point of xbox now. Just a ps4 reskin. 
    PS4 has a superior cloud based game feature its called Gaikai
    I thought Gaikai was just streaming games? How I understood the xbox cloud system, was that since you were always online, the games would actually change the way they play based on the data they were receiving from the server. Like they showed a racing game called forza and they said the AI you were racing against would adjust based on information obtained from the "cloud." Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I still think the sharing thing was cool. The online restriction was necessary for it to work because you were only allowed to share with a certain number of people at a time or only a certain amount of people could play it at one time, so it would need to periodically check that. 

The cloud system you described is just how online games work anyway. Microsoft's plan was to have additional content available on other devices. For instance, instead of having a mini map in your HUD, you'd have one on your cell phone or something like that. The cloud would tie the game you were playing to your mobile device.

Gakai's service runs games in the cloud and streams it to the client device. This is how the PS3 games are going to be available on the PS4.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,783Member Uncommon
    As compared to a PS4, Microsoft has moved from trying to charge more for inferior hardware with crippling DRM to trying to charge more for inferior hardware without crippling DRM.  That's process of sorts, but so long as they're trying to charge more for inferior hardware, I don't see a bright future for the Xbox One.
  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,970Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Microsoft's plan was to have additional content available on other devices.

And they can't do that now because.....?

• fayknaymfayknaym Washington, DCPosts: 125Member
    Originally posted by Vannor

Well, I think if a game were to be produced in which that was a central feature it would be necessary for it to always be online, but since that it no longer the case the game has to be built with offline taken into consideration. Maybe it's still possible. I dunno.

• sayuusayuu glendale, AZPosts: 199Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tawess
    I This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers,

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

It not about a company wanting to maximize profits, they all do.

But rather the companies philosophy  toward thier customers. . .

Sony and Microsoft had vastly different  philosophies.

Microsoft still has the same philosophy  toward gamers as they did 6 months ago. They just realized that the present day consumer is still not ready to accept it.

Look for Microsoft to  bring thier DRM  to the Xbone due to "publisher pressure" in a year or two, when they sold enough units and feel that they can try again. . .

• giga1000giga1000 Federal Way, WAPosts: 98Member

Who says they will not go back to the old way after x-mas and fuck everyone. 

This proves we the gamers have power and if we back dicks like these then we are shooting our self.

If they would of listened to their customers from the beginning there wouldn't be this issue.

Microsoft because of Steve Ballmer has this plan of fuck everyone make it because we can. Windows Vista, 8, X-1 are all made this way. AKA F/U customers we do what we want and you will pay for it. License everything so you own nother so we can rape you anyway we like. 

Well Steve guess what your customers just said F/U we are not taking this shit with both Windows 8 being remade and X-1 too.

• DahkohtDahkoht Pelham, ALPosts: 290Member

So I read this as the PS4 is.....

Still cheaper

Still better technical specs

Still allows you to upgrade your own harddrive.

Why exactly would I want the Xbox 180 ?

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,211Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    As compared to a PS4, Microsoft has moved from trying to charge more for inferior hardware with crippling DRM to trying to charge more for inferior hardware without crippling DRM.  That's process of sorts, but so long as they're trying to charge more for inferior hardware, I don't see a bright future for the Xbox One.

How much more so is the XB1 inferior to the PS4?  You had a recent thread comparing the two that I found rather unconvincing.  Mostly what I got out of that thread was the PS4 has the potential for more graphics power on paper, but the practical differences are miniscule.

Both are offering overpriced inferior hardware for what you could build yourself.  By your reasoning neither have a bright future.  Since we know consoles are successful I would have to conclude your conclusion is flawed.  The price difference between the two is only about $40 when you consider the bare bones PS4 offering doesn't have it's version of the camera and kinect included.  They both have abysmally small outdated (I mean due to the size, not the hardware generation) hard drives at 500GB.

I see a bright future for both really.  Not likely one which I'll be a part of until the price makes more sense, but they both have room to compete and succeed.  This won't be a one or the other sort of war.  Possibly the only loser in this could be Nintendo as its platform seems shadowed by these two.  The only thing Nintendo really has to offer now is the IP specific catalog.

Originally posted by fayknaym

Well, I think if a game were to be produced in which that was a central feature it would be necessary for it to always be online, but since that it no longer the case the game has to be built with offline taken into consideration. Maybe it's still possible. I dunno.

That wasn't the plan in the first place. I mean there would be tons of factors that would totally wreck someone's game like power cuts, a power switch tripping, accidental unplugging, xbox1 maybe crashing, lag...

It wouldn't have worked. It would have introduced millions of new potential bugs.

If you only had to connect every 24 hours then it's obviously possible to connect whenever you want and have everything updated accordingly and on demand.. like it always has been for online games.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member

I didn't really care either way (and have no intention of buying the PS4 or the Xbox 1).

Although I can see people taking this as a victory, the future is still inevitable and everything cloud based, everything verified is the future not just for consoles, but for all software. This simply means it will be one more generation until it happens on consoles.

The rate of games on the PC which require an internet connection to play even in single player will continue to rise as well.

Like it or not, that is what the world will shift to.

• giga1000giga1000 Federal Way, WAPosts: 98Member
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Still cheaper

+1 lol Xbox 180 genius hahaha.

• MaggonMaggon CopenhagenPosts: 300Member Uncommon
    Now I might be getting both... maybe :p
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Sible HedinghamPosts: 1,673Member Uncommon
    .. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

• KhayotixKhayotix Somewhere, FLPosts: 220Member Uncommon

Microsoft didn't do it because they are listening to gamer/fan sentiment. They did this because they didn't want their sales absolutely curb stomped by Sony. It is all about money, you can only ever bet on Microsoft for that.

Alas most gamers are not forgiving. So they will still be hurt and disgusted and I fear it may have been too late for damage control. Time will tell.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Somewhere in nowherePosts: 2,325Member Uncommon

It's great to see that the public still has a voice against this kind of shit if they manage to speak up loudly.

So three rounds of applause for the people who did their best to sway opinions!

Now to anticipate their next foul moves though :p

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Vista, CAPosts: 650Member Uncommon

Smart move Microsoft, you just saved your new baby from going down in a flaming pile of shit.  I tip my hat to the gamers who raged enough to get this fixed.

Still not buying one though lol.  I don't like a camera watching and listening to everything I do 24/7.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Las Cruces, NMPosts: 354Member Uncommon
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

Exactly, nothings really changed here. I'm still boycotting the xbox1. They are still making the system to be all about making money rather then performance or quality.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

I don't like a camera watching and listening to everything I do 24/7.

You got a smart phone? They do that too you know.

Still don't buy an X1 though. :)

• JorlJorl SunderlandPosts: 257Member
    Smart move Microsoft, but I'm still not getting your console, its bad enough having to use your operating system...
  • cgplayercgplayer Phoenix, AZPosts: 20Member
    You guys are just sad.  Whine and cry about all that crap most of which is already being done on PC games.  Internet connection required, cant sell, etc etc.  Now MS goes ahead and changes course and your still whining and crying.  Move on already sad plain sad some people are.  
  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by XAleX360

I'm very surprised, but they just did it.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/06/19/microsoft-surrenders-to-gamers-drm-is-no-more

Aye, very smart move on their part.

They've actually been reversing quite a few of their decisions, DRM of course being the largest one.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Newark, NJPosts: 184Member
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy

Too little too late. If they can switch their policies at a whim once they can do it again. Damage is done. 

This is my thought on it. Not that I was planning on getting a X1 anyway, but if I was, I would be concerned that they would re-implement those features after initial sales of the unit. With everything digital on the box, its only a matter of them "flicking a switch" on their side anyway once the sheep shell out their money.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Biddeford, MEPosts: 421Member
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Still cheaper

This. Also Xbox One still requires every game to fully install although the disk is required to play, Kinect is also still mandatory.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,211Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Saryhl

Microsoft didn't do it because they are listening to gamer/fan sentiment. They did this because they didn't want their sales absolutely curb stomped by Sony. It is all about money, you can only ever bet on Microsoft for that.

Alas most gamers are not forgiving. So they will still be hurt and disgusted and I fear it may have been too late for damage control. Time will tell.

Of course they did it for the bottom line.  That is what listening to your customers does.  Do you think Sony is doing this because they care about you?  They're marketing what they think they can get away with (the new fee for playing online games) and trying to present a picture that they're on your side.  Sony has way better marketing than Microsoft.  The Blu-Ray wars illustrates that.

The fact that Blu-Ray got chosen over HD disks also shows that Sony cares more about their bottom line than they do about the consumer.

Are you sure gamers aren't forgiving?  Sony planted root kits in their discs that infected a lot of people.  The backlash was enormous.  Sony didn't keep their server infrastructure patched and secure and left themselves open to attack exposing tens of millions of users personal information.  Now with the PS4 launch we've forgiven and forgotten.  Most gamers are something alright, but unforgiving isn't one of those things.

• KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Ohh wow. They could not take the pressure in a field where they actually have competition. They would be able to get away with this crap with their OS, not here. I still don't know how they thought this and the many other stupid decisions they have taken for xbox one would fly at all...