Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft just dropped DRM

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    As compared to a PS4, Microsoft has moved from trying to charge more for inferior hardware with crippling DRM to trying to charge more for inferior hardware without crippling DRM.  That's process of sorts, but so long as they're trying to charge more for inferior hardware, I don't see a bright future for the Xbox One.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Microsoft's plan was to have additional content available on other devices.

And they can't do that now because.....?

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Originally posted by Vannor

Well, I think if a game were to be produced in which that was a central feature it would be necessary for it to always be online, but since that it no longer the case the game has to be built with offline taken into consideration. Maybe it's still possible. I dunno.

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Originally posted by tawess
    I This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers,

Hate to breake it to you, but Sony does not do things because of this either, they do things to maximize profit, if that happens to align with pleasing the gamer crowd, that is just luck.

Still, good i guess.

It not about a company wanting to maximize profits, they all do.

But rather the companies philosophy  toward thier customers. . .

Sony and Microsoft had vastly different  philosophies.

Microsoft still has the same philosophy  toward gamers as they did 6 months ago. They just realized that the present day consumer is still not ready to accept it.

Look for Microsoft to  bring thier DRM  to the Xbone due to "publisher pressure" in a year or two, when they sold enough units and feel that they can try again. . .

• giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98

Who says they will not go back to the old way after x-mas and fuck everyone. 

This proves we the gamers have power and if we back dicks like these then we are shooting our self.

If they would of listened to their customers from the beginning there wouldn't be this issue.

Microsoft because of Steve Ballmer has this plan of fuck everyone make it because we can. Windows Vista, 8, X-1 are all made this way. AKA F/U customers we do what we want and you will pay for it. License everything so you own nother so we can rape you anyway we like. 

Well Steve guess what your customers just said F/U we are not taking this shit with both Windows 8 being remade and X-1 too.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

So I read this as the PS4 is.....

Still cheaper

Still better technical specs

Still allows you to upgrade your own harddrive.

Why exactly would I want the Xbox 180 ?

Originally posted by fayknaym

Well, I think if a game were to be produced in which that was a central feature it would be necessary for it to always be online, but since that it no longer the case the game has to be built with offline taken into consideration. Maybe it's still possible. I dunno.

That wasn't the plan in the first place. I mean there would be tons of factors that would totally wreck someone's game like power cuts, a power switch tripping, accidental unplugging, xbox1 maybe crashing, lag...

It wouldn't have worked. It would have introduced millions of new potential bugs.

If you only had to connect every 24 hours then it's obviously possible to connect whenever you want and have everything updated accordingly and on demand.. like it always has been for online games.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I didn't really care either way (and have no intention of buying the PS4 or the Xbox 1).

Although I can see people taking this as a victory, the future is still inevitable and everything cloud based, everything verified is the future not just for consoles, but for all software. This simply means it will be one more generation until it happens on consoles.

The rate of games on the PC which require an internet connection to play even in single player will continue to rise as well.

Like it or not, that is what the world will shift to.

• giga1000giga1000 Member Posts: 98
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Still cheaper

+1 lol Xbox 180 genius hahaha.

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Now I might be getting both... maybe :p
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    .. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231

Microsoft didn't do it because they are listening to gamer/fan sentiment. They did this because they didn't want their sales absolutely curb stomped by Sony. It is all about money, you can only ever bet on Microsoft for that.

Alas most gamers are not forgiving. So they will still be hurt and disgusted and I fear it may have been too late for damage control. Time will tell.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's great to see that the public still has a voice against this kind of shit if they manage to speak up loudly.

So three rounds of applause for the people who did their best to sway opinions!

Now to anticipate their next foul moves though :p

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Smart move Microsoft, you just saved your new baby from going down in a flaming pile of shit.  I tip my hat to the gamers who raged enough to get this fixed.

Still not buying one though lol.  I don't like a camera watching and listening to everything I do 24/7.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I'm still getting a PS4.. they only did this because they had no choice. This wasn't because they wanted what was best for the gamers, this has happened because they realised they were digging their own grave.

Exactly, nothings really changed here. I'm still boycotting the xbox1. They are still making the system to be all about making money rather then performance or quality.

Originally posted by bingbongbros

I don't like a camera watching and listening to everything I do 24/7.

You got a smart phone? They do that too you know.

Still don't buy an X1 though. :)

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257
    Smart move Microsoft, but I'm still not getting your console, its bad enough having to use your operating system...
  • cgplayercgplayer Member Posts: 20
    You guys are just sad.  Whine and cry about all that crap most of which is already being done on PC games.  Internet connection required, cant sell, etc etc.  Now MS goes ahead and changes course and your still whining and crying.  Move on already sad plain sad some people are.  
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by XAleX360

I'm very surprised, but they just did it.

http://www.worldsfactory.net/2013/06/19/microsoft-surrenders-to-gamers-drm-is-no-more

Aye, very smart move on their part.

They've actually been reversing quite a few of their decisions, DRM of course being the largest one.

• Jadedangel1Jadedangel1 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy

Too little too late. If they can switch their policies at a whim once they can do it again. Damage is done. 

This is my thought on it. Not that I was planning on getting a X1 anyway, but if I was, I would be concerned that they would re-implement those features after initial sales of the unit. With everything digital on the box, its only a matter of them "flicking a switch" on their side anyway once the sheep shell out their money.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Dahkoht

Still cheaper

This. Also Xbox One still requires every game to fully install although the disk is required to play, Kinect is also still mandatory.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Ohh wow. They could not take the pressure in a field where they actually have competition. They would be able to get away with this crap with their OS, not here. I still don't know how they thought this and the many other stupid decisions they have taken for xbox one would fly at all...

• SosaBabySosaBaby Member Posts: 33

Hey usually don't log in and post unless I am very passionate about the issue, Lets just start off by saying at the end of the day its all just video games, people are starving and what so lets not start a whole shitstorm but....

I can not tolerate this. For the past 9 days since they announced this(not really they just kinda said o ya drm, 24 hrs, never really announced it, people had to DIG for it, shows they are snakes) they have been defiant to say the least. They said o you guys are wrong you will see yadada...... its "future proof".. so on so forth. Even up until yesterday on late night on fallen defending there crap policys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jNX576Dg07Q). Then the next day come out saying O we were wrong, they didn't even say they were wrong infact, just said "listening to the customer". No offence to you people but are you retarded, they will get all these sales now, THEN add the restrictions, and dont someone come and say thats not allowed they can't do that, they can do whatever they want, and will most likely have something like that in their TOS that they can infact add it. Also you STILL need internet to activate the xbox for the first time, I DO have to admit this is better but 5-6 billion people still dont have internet (http://www.google.com/loon), but yet they say 2/3rds had internet.... they said this 2 days ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2lMhjM9BK7M), just goes to show they are in there own bubble. Also they showed pc games at E3, It even crashed during the show to desktop. All of this issues connect because how misleading and untrustworthy they are,  they are and only care for your cash, not you, and you better believe it. They can't completely bash people and say no we are right, then come out the next day and say O yeah we are changing all of this.

And on another note The 360 is an amazing console, I have also hated Ps3 fanboys because although the ps3 ain't crap, the 360 was ahead of its time, really lead the online gaming movement IMO. Also The Xbox one is a better console, not spec wise, but feature wise, and microsoft has more deals, connections and what not, but I refuse to deal with these people, they think they are the next apple (Apple did whatever they wanted and it still sold) and have some gods gift

Bang Bang 3hun oBLA!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

lol, where is Mannish to tell us how awesome these features were and how much they will be missed by Xbox One fans oO... 

I'm actually surprised myself. Microsoft doesn't tend to wise'n up very fast or very often. It is a good move and one that may put them back on the map depending on how many actually see the changes. 

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by tkreep
    I'm surprised but also a bit disappointed. I know this is something that there was a lot of outcry over but their online only system did allow for some unique features that wouldn't be available to other consoles, such as sharing you library of games with people on your friends list and their "cloud based" game features. Disappointing to see that's not the case anymore. Not that I had any interest in xbox in the first place, I just thought the sharing was a really cool and distinguishing feature. I don't know what is the point of xbox now. Just a ps4 reskin. 

PS4 has a superior cloud based game feature its called Gaikai

I thought Gaikai was just streaming games? How I understood the xbox cloud system, was that since you were always online, the games would actually change the way they play based on the data they were receiving from the server. Like they showed a racing game called forza and they said the AI you were racing against would adjust based on information obtained from the "cloud." Or maybe I'm just misunderstanding. I still think the sharing thing was cool. The online restriction was necessary for it to work because you were only allowed to share with a certain number of people at a time or only a certain amount of people could play it at one time, so it would need to periodically check that. 

You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is, 'Never get involved in a land war in Asia.' But only slightly less well known is this! 'The word 'Cloud' means 'A remote server that could be sitting in a closet or in a multi-million dollar datacenter and you'll never know which!'.

There is nothing 'magical' about the "cloud". It's all data sitting or moving through a remote server or servers somewhere. That's been going on for decades. We used to call them 'File servers' or 'Application servers'.

:)