Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: E3 2013 - Hands On with a New Britannia

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

We caught up with EA Mythic's Carrie Gouskos at this year's E3 to learn more about Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar and get some hands-on time with the game.

Ultima Forever is a mobile free-to-play spiritual successor to Ultima 4. Imagine Ultima 4 as an MMO on mobile devices and you have an idea of what EA Mythic is going for here. EA Mythic’s Carrie Gouskos told us that the team’s goal was to create this MMO experience in a way that is digestible for the way gamers tend to play mobile games without diluting the MMO aspects.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: E3 2013 - Hands On with a New Britannia.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Can't wait to give this game a try... I personally like Lord British and his ideas, they are so out there.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Games we loved 5-10 years ago are now ending up on our phones and tablets. Just downloaded Bards Tale for my phone the other day lol. How long till EQ1 or WoW ends up on my phone? lol Cool to see how this turns out.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Games we loved 5-10 years ago are now ending up on our phones and tablets. Just downloaded Bards Tale for my phone the other day lol. How long till EQ1 or WoW ends up on my phone? lol Cool to see how this turns out.

Um, I hate to be negative but "Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar" is nothing like Ultima Online from all that I have seen. It's just a cash grab for people who like to buy mediocre games on their iPods and smart phones.

The only really good MMO on a tablet that I played was Order & Chaos Online, and that was a copy-cat of WoW.

Smile

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334
    this is not ultima online or anything close to any old ultima... this is just "something" with ultima as name for mobiles OMG >.<
  • InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    Can't wait to give this game a try... I personally like Lord British and his ideas, they are so out there.

Lord British has nothing to do with this... monstrosity. This is a crappy, wannabe-Ultima ARPG cash grab which is a kick in the groin to Ultima fans, especially those who grew up with the series.

Who needs the complexity of a personal quest to find enlightenment and understanding of the self while discovering the deeper meaning behind the eight virtues, in order to set a positive example for others to follow? I mean, screw all that noise right? We're making a game for adults here! Let's add a generic 'big, bad enemy', lots of hack and slash combat, airships, a generic Bioware-style 'Good, neutral, evil' morality system, and give old LB a sex change! Sound good?

I hope this ridiculous farce of a classic CRPG fails miserably.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Bring it to Android.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

You’ll find dungeons in chests that require keys to open.

imageimageimageimage

Open the chest:  You find 47 gold, 2 black pearls and the Hyloth Dungeon!!!

WOOT!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Their handling of the Ultima IP is just one more reason to loathe EA.
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Originally posted by Slapshot1188

You’ll find dungeons in chests that require keys to open.

imageimageimageimage

Open the chest:  You find 47 gold, 2 black pearls and the Hyloth Dungeon!!!

WOOT!

HAHA

good one

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I like Lord British's ideas too but this is Quest for the Avatar not to be confused with Shroud of the Avatar.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    That being said, nostalgia have smoothed over a lot of things in how people remember the Ultima series... .. . Well Ultima Online was kind of neat, but that was not so much a Ultima game as simulator of what the rest of the world was doing while the Hero was out saving said world.

This have been a good conversation

• VlackeVlacke Member UncommonPosts: 155

This a rather big degradation in comparison to what Ultima once was, and it's a shame really.

I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in the lackluster "MMO's" for mobile devices, in any shape or form.

EA should just shut down Mythic and hire some new studio with competent people in it, Mythic can't seem to do anything properly anymore, making a great game has become mission impossible for  this lot frankly.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

What could have been a fun little translation of RPGs, very much in the spirit of the Ultima pre-online, to the tablet world but hobbled by horrific business model.  The more keys one uses, the more one has to spend just to fight entropy, not even counting the way it raises a player's expectations for what would be a good drop (and not counting misclicks which are an ever-present threat with so many features offering to let you spend a few gold keys  - which are not wildly different from copper keys in appearance).

It's so focused on getting you to spend keys that the first two towns I visited had infinite treasure chests sitting out in the open so you could apparently burn through cash without even adventuring at all.  Give this game to a kid and I can see them burning through $100 in a single sitting.

I'm sorry, I know a lot of hard work and attentive nostalgia went into this, maybe it's aimed at people who have a few more digits of disposable income than I do, but I personally just can't adapt to a world running on this type of business model  - it just disgusts me on every level - honesty, honour, compassion, ... all of them.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545
    This game looks terrible, but I heard there's another UO Forever that is pretty good ; )

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    This is NOT the Ultima game that was recently announced by Richard Garriott recently! This is just some nonsense rip off similar named for mobile phones.
  • AzaghalAzaghal Member UncommonPosts: 15

if EA has anything to do with it, it gonna get screwed just like they screwed the APAC servers for starwars.. They say one thing then you find out it was a big lie to get your money...

Customer relations means they'll hit you with a bat and take you wallet...

EA don't care about there customers period..

Wont touch anything they have there filthy lying cheating paws into..

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

I am not convinced.

This year I will look for Divinity Original Sin - it is not an MMO, but has a very promising co-op-mode.

Next year will be the year of Albion Online.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.