Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hate FFXIV (TL;DR)

jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I have friends that were telling me for years about how awesome Final Fantasy XI was.  I decided I wanted to jump in on the new game, Final Fantasy XIV, right at launch.  I had never been more disappointed with a game.  I tried playing for a few days, decided that it was BS and quit.  Square Enix and Final Fantasy franchise could rot in hell for all I care.

Fast forward to last weekend.  

I logged in and saw the usual beautiful graphics.  "Okay game," I said to myself, "Let's see what you got."

After about an hour plus of cut scene after cut scene with copious amounts of dialog, I finally got out in the world and started fighting.  I had chosen Thaumaturg for a class and it was slow as heck.  I pushed through a few levels.  My guildmates have played the previous betas and absolutely LOVE this game, so I must be missing something.

I learn a few new actions and keep doing 'kill 10 rats quests.'  I find that I'm looking at the map a lot and trying to figure out where I need to go.  I have a little popup window for quest items that I have to choose to hand in to NPCs.  It made me pause for a second and reread the quest to make sure I'm turning in the right thing. 

My guildmates told me about this level 15 quest I was coming up on and that for a Thaumaturg it might be difficult.  One suggested that I go to another town and learn Conjurer to help out.  So I set off on my own adventure to learn Conjurer.  Another guildmate (when I was in Central Shroud I think the name was) asked if he could come along.  I agreed and waited for him.  While I was waiting at a bridge I saw players running around, night turn to day and storm clouds moved in the area.  The whole thing had me pulled in as I started exploring a little.  I saw, but couldn't reach a giant statue surrounded by a crumbling structure embedded in the cliff in the horizon.  My concentration broke for a second as my friend had caught up to me.  Together we ran across the zone and towards Gridania.  We pushed pass some high levels, hit a small village and rented a Chocobo for the rest of the ride into the city.

I talked to the Conjurer Guildmaster to learn that class.  Switching my weapons to change from a level 15 Thaumaturg to a level 1 Conjurer, I began to level my new class.  I had forgotten to save my Thaumaturg Gear Setup, but quickly remembered to do so in the future.  

After hitting level 8 on Conjurer, I teleported back to my level 15 quest.  I found a huge line of people there at the quest objective.  Apparently there was a bug when more than one person tried to click on it, so people were taking turns.  I made sure I was set.  I had my new cure spell and protect for my Thaumaturgy build, thanks to the Conjurer leveling and I had healing potions just in case.  I forgot antidotes though.  Luckily an entrepreneurial player was selling them while we waited in line.  

I did my quest.  It was challenging and it was probably  a good thing that I went and learned the Conjurer.  It helped a lot.  The antidote was quite handy as well.  The game by being a little difficult forced me to have this tiny adventure I'm recalling to you now.  Nothing beyond amazing, but certainly something you don't get in many MMOs today.  If any.

I Love A Realm Reborn.

Comments

• Baio2kBaio2k Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Interesting read, nice post.
  • CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Good to hear, are you going to buy it then?
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Carnicide
    Good to hear, are you going to buy it then?

People whom bought the first version of the game don't have to buy it again.  Very smart of them.  I wouldn't of bought the game again, especially without seeing what they've done with the game.  They made good on their promise in my eyes.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    sneaky.. I read and read and waited patiently for the "hate" part.. MF :P
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    To the OP, thanks for sharing your write up.  It gave good insight into your experience that was useful to me!
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234

Challenge is good, today MMORPG are nobrain spamfest actionrpg.

Prepare your battle, buy useables, tune up your gear, and try it.. u cant? then improve gear with Materia, search for better gear, ask for advices, etc... This is a MMORPG, not these things u see out there today.

• GaoxinGaoxin Member UncommonPosts: 198
    I hope it will stay this way, because most devs cant resist the shitstorm a lot of whiners can create .."but but in wow i could lvl till 90 without reading a single skill or quest discription.."
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

It's a good write up of what you like about it, but at the same time kind've gives a bad impression to those who only read titles (be it on the front page or in the dedicated forum).  Might be best to add "; I love A Realm Reborn" in that context.  This is especially true since it is a long post.

:)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

It's a good write up of what you like about it, but at the same time kind've gives a bad impression to those who only read titles (be it on the front page or in the dedicated forum).  Might be best to add "; I love A Realm Reborn" in that context.  This is especially true since it is a long post.

I feel ya.  But honestly, those people whom can't be bothered to scratch the surface of a post to find its contents are the same people I feel that will hate A Realm Reborn anyways.

• MoodsorMoodsor Member UncommonPosts: 712
    Haha your topic had me fooled for a second there, nice writeup tho.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Feel the same way. Even though its a themepark it fell more freeform and less typical quests. Apparently some where complaining in the forums about this quest I really hope they don't change it. People are used to just knocking out quest and mindlessly progressing through mmos, when you have to stop and think it's refreshing and what I'm looking for with FF14.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Good point forgot about that. What I meant to ask are you going to continue playing it when it goes live?
  • NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Great read.

I love those type of  self-imposed adventures. 

I am glad you have found a game you enjoy. I hope to try it out someday myself.

• Synns77Synns77 Member Posts: 124
    I have to agree op from what I've seen so far this game seems to do what the old traditional and great mmos did well and all the new ones fail at. It's not trying to invent the wheel but after so many innovational FAILS this game appears to have gone back to trying to just be a fun and enjoyable world to play in. Hopefully time will support how I currently feel about the game.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Nice lol. The games only real frustrations come from minor differences in design as opposed to what youd expect from the usual western MMO. The map navigation was the biggest frustration for me, but I got used to it eventually.

There were many moments of ... "OMG where is the gear I just got!?!? FFFF THIS GAME... Oh! there is a different inventory just for gear. Cool! :D" and other like it.
  • rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117

I've been trolled, kudos to you.

Not to derail your thread too much, but speaking of that 15 quest.  I know exactly which you are speaking of but I have yet to do it.  As a gladiator would you recommend me getting some conjurer spells as well?

• MusufasaMusufasa Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by rhavok

Not to derail your thread too much, but speaking of that 15 quest.  I know exactly which you are speaking of but I have yet to do it.  As a gladiator would you recommend me getting some conjurer spells as well?

Pots and antidotes and you should be fine.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by rhavok

You are a tank sir. You will strip butt ass nekkid and charge into that damn thing. Such is the way of the tank.

but seriously im Glad too, bring an antidote.

BUT AFTER THAT FIGHT LET NONE CHALLENGE YOU

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• MattTheHGMattTheHG Member Posts: 30
    I think I'm more impressed with the idea of selling antidotes to people while they wait in line.... what a great idea to make some quick gil! $_$
  • EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    The game should keep me occupied the 2-3 months until Archeage comes out. Ill likely have 4-5 50s by then

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

I feel ya.  But honestly, those people whom can't be bothered to scratch the surface of a post to find its contents are the same people I feel that will hate A Realm Reborn anyways.

You're the person that couldn't be bothered to scratch the surface of a game.  You barely played the original FFXIV and wrote it off as being something crappy.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Aye many people where extremely sceptical if they could turn the tide.
    I never played XIV but i heared the story's and readed revieuws.
    Naoki Yoshida deserves much respect for what he pulled off on this one.

Good read OP :)

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Ehllfhire
    The game should keep me occupied the 2-3 months until Archeage comes out. Ill likely have 4-5 50s by then

If you knew anything about the game.. you'll know you won't have that many 50s in that amount of time.....

I'll just leave it at that.

• EhllfhireEhllfhire Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by ZizouX

If you knew anything about the game.. you'll know you won't have that many 50s in that amount of time.....

If I could do it in 1.0 which was way more a grind I can do it in 2.0

Any graphical, audio, or gameplay restrictions not seen in other mmos but found in FFXIV can be blamed on one thing.
    PS3

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by ZizouX

If I could do it in 1.0 which was way more a grind I can do it in 2.0

You could also dual-box PL in 1.0

Big whoop