Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Improvements coming on June 20 after open beta?

2»

Comments

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Itemization needs to be more fun.  I adventure overland and if I see stat improvements I put the new item on.  It has a very spreadsheet feel to it, not an iconic D&D looting treasure feel.

It looks like clerics are getting a slight nerf to skills, but are getting an aggro fix.  That doesn't excite me.

The change to group looting policy is disappointing.  Having n/g/p with class exclusive "need" is and no bop is a recipe for friction.  It's a weak game design.  There are better evolutions as well.

The rest of the changes seem okay.  GFs are getting a tiny buff and that's good.

As the saying goes.... "a fool and his money are soon parted."

300 bucks is retarded to spend on a game that's still in "open beta."  No game is worth that kind of money and the company takes advantage of impulsive buyers and abuses a renown IP which is the main factor of it's success.  Take away the IP and it will be a laughing stock of an MMO.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by MaskofMany
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I wanted to play Neverwinter on the side, casually with my friends.  I enjoyed watching the combat in videos, and knew that the game had no substance, so I figured I could play it casually and still have some fun.  It just didn't work out, and theres no way they could fix and improve this turd by June 20th to make me want to play again.

My biggest disappointments were the fact that in 3 days of casual playing and almost hitting 20 (wtf?), I couldn't find a single person that was actually reading chat or interested in planning, organizing or communicating at all.  Neverwinter is on rails like a single player game and all new MMOs, so theres almost no interdependence, and no sense of community.  As you get higher level, there was the occasional zonewide request for parties, but after joining groups, there was no further communication.  I guess when you design games with single player progression, this is what happens.

Worst of all was playing a guardian fighter.  The class is completely broken.  The Block skill which they depend on so desperately constantly just stops working while you still have plenty of endurance.  Then the other half the time, it appears that you are blocking, but you aren't.  How do bugs like this still exist?  Amateur hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gTH_ePSFc

Well another one bites the dust.  If EQ Next doesn't pan out, I think I'm done with MMOs for good.

I notice you ignored the dungeons, skirmishes, the Foundry (lots of awesome player-created content there), and the several large NW social communities.

The RP community, for example, is all about communicating & organizing dungeon runs, skirmishes, even PvP. They're already planning out Gauntlgrym 20v20 faction runs. They're the smallest community in the game, and yet they have several hundred active (yes, ACTIVE) members.

You obviously just weren't looking beyond Zone & local chat, or beyond the basic story missions. There's way more to do than you claimed.

As for GFs, I play one & haven't seen the problem you're talking about - especially not since the recent major update.

I AM going to complain about the Zen-store prices, which are ridiculous ($30 for a mount now? Really?). And the balance is completely off, since they keep trying to balance it either for PvP or PvE, and not really getting either right. Clerics need work, though they aren't meant to only be constant heal-bots like they are in other games. GWFs need a bit more survivability, too... or at least better dodging capability.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh really, the smallest community of Neverwinter?  Where is the statistics that backs your "enlightened insight" of what the demographics of Neverwinter are?

Foundry is still a watered down version of what it should have been,

• MaskofManyMaskofMany Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by MaskofMany
    Originally posted by Dullahan

I wanted to play Neverwinter on the side, casually with my friends.  I enjoyed watching the combat in videos, and knew that the game had no substance, so I figured I could play it casually and still have some fun.  It just didn't work out, and theres no way they could fix and improve this turd by June 20th to make me want to play again.

My biggest disappointments were the fact that in 3 days of casual playing and almost hitting 20 (wtf?), I couldn't find a single person that was actually reading chat or interested in planning, organizing or communicating at all.  Neverwinter is on rails like a single player game and all new MMOs, so theres almost no interdependence, and no sense of community.  As you get higher level, there was the occasional zonewide request for parties, but after joining groups, there was no further communication.  I guess when you design games with single player progression, this is what happens.

Worst of all was playing a guardian fighter.  The class is completely broken.  The Block skill which they depend on so desperately constantly just stops working while you still have plenty of endurance.  Then the other half the time, it appears that you are blocking, but you aren't.  How do bugs like this still exist?  Amateur hour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4gTH_ePSFc

Well another one bites the dust.  If EQ Next doesn't pan out, I think I'm done with MMOs for good.

I notice you ignored the dungeons, skirmishes, the Foundry (lots of awesome player-created content there), and the several large NW social communities.

The RP community, for example, is all about communicating & organizing dungeon runs, skirmishes, even PvP. They're already planning out Gauntlgrym 20v20 faction runs. They're the smallest community in the game, and yet they have several hundred active (yes, ACTIVE) members.

You obviously just weren't looking beyond Zone & local chat, or beyond the basic story missions. There's way more to do than you claimed.

As for GFs, I play one & haven't seen the problem you're talking about - especially not since the recent major update.

I AM going to complain about the Zen-store prices, which are ridiculous ($30 for a mount now? Really?). And the balance is completely off, since they keep trying to balance it either for PvP or PvE, and not really getting either right. Clerics need work, though they aren't meant to only be constant heal-bots like they are in other games. GWFs need a bit more survivability, too... or at least better dodging capability.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh really, the smallest community of Neverwinter?  Where is the statistics that backs your "enlightened insight" of what the demographics of Neverwinter are?

Foundry is still a watered down version of what it should have been,

Roleplayers are a niche group in any MMO. The only MMO-like game where RPers are the majority, to my knowledge, is SecondLife - and it's not really a game so much as a social networking site with virtual avatars.

The Foundry's actually pretty decent. Have you actually used it? I mean really tinkered with it for any length of time, not just opening it up and staring at it for 5 minutes. Authors have made some really cool stuff with it; and while it has its issues, it's not bad for something meant to be user-friendly for everyone (instead of requiring scripting knowledge, like NWN's did).

Incidentally, I never said I had "enlightened insight." You're the only person using that term, and acting petty & bitter towards someone you don't know isn't making your point any more convincing.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Itemization needs to be more fun.  I adventure overland and if I see stat improvements I put the new item on.  It has a very spreadsheet feel to it, not an iconic D&D looting treasure feel.

It looks like clerics are getting a slight nerf to skills, but are getting an aggro fix.  That doesn't excite me.

The change to group looting policy is disappointing.  Having n/g/p with class exclusive "need" is and no bop is a recipe for friction.  It's a weak game design.  There are better evolutions as well.

The rest of the changes seem okay.  GFs are getting a tiny buff and that's good.

300 bucks is retarded to spend on a game that's still in "open beta."  No game is worth that kind of money and the company takes advantage of impulsive buyers and abuses a renown IP which is the main factor of it's success.  Take away the IP and it will be a laughing stock of an MMO.

I don't know why you replied to me with your snarky reply.  I haven't spent $300 on the game and if I had that would be my business.  It's just entertainment. 

Those are just my thoughts on the next patch.  It looks good but there are a couple things I wish they had done differently.

All end game items are going BoP. Cleric nerf was annoying. Double stacking was stupid, but now its a pain to heal at all, they didnt need the double whammy of nerfing double stacking AND increasing the cooldown on Astral Shield (the only good heal in the entire game). If they want to make Astral Shield situational then they need to significantly boost the other heals.

Holding out for more classes to be honest, the current generic ones really arent my cup of tea, although they did do a good job with them. Really want a druid, psion or bard.

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by dugulala
    too late man this game has less then a thousand people playing now.

you're completely out of your mind... I started playing this week and more than 1000 people is what I see everyday in the city alone. Actually more than that.

This is probably the best mmorpg that I've played in years... and I've hated every damn mmo that came out. Well... besides the secret world. This game has so much potential that makes me think how the hell is this free... this is perfect for a D&D fan. Ok so its missing an archer class... but its a damn good game, hope it continues to grow!

I dont remember having this much fun in an mmo since dark age of camelot.

Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Originally posted by dugulala
    too late man this game has less then a thousand people playing now.

you're completely out of your mind... I started playing this week and more than 1000 people is what I see everyday in the city alone. Actually more than that.

This is probably the best mmorpg that I've played in years... and I've hated every damn mmo that came out. Well... besides the secret world. This game has so much potential that makes me think how the hell is this free... this is perfect for a D&D fan. Ok so its missing an archer class... but its a damn good game, hope it continues to grow!

I dont remember having this much fun in an mmo since dark age of camelot.

Archer rangers are confirmed to be in development. So, hopefully, we won't have to wait for long after the official Live Launch to get 'em.

Originally posted by evilastro

I don't know why you replied to me with your snarky reply.  I haven't spent $300 on the game and if I had that would be my business.  It's just entertainment. 

Those are just my thoughts on the next patch.  It looks good but there are a couple things I wish they had done differently.

All end game items are going BoP. Cleric nerf was annoying. Double stacking was stupid, but now its a pain to heal at all, they didnt need the double whammy of nerfing double stacking AND increasing the cooldown on Astral Shield (the only good heal in the entire game). If they want to make Astral Shield situational then they need to significantly boost the other heals.

Holding out for more classes to be honest, the current generic ones really arent my cup of tea, although they did do a good job with them. Really want a druid, psion or bard.

I hadn't heard about the BoP thing. Is that confirmed, or just rumour?

I mostly agree with you on clerics, though. Their lower-end heals need a boost; AS needed the nerf to prevent perma-shielding (which unbalanced PvP even more, apparently). I would love to see beefier heals & HoTs all around.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665
    I wouldn't say this has a few thousand people left playing... I think it's much closer to around 150-250K. But I definitely noticed there's a drop in population. Most people are probably casuals that play only at night and at weekends. School has started so all the kids are busy with school. CCU I think is around 50-75K (30%).

I read a thread last night on the official forums where they are discussing and reviewing bop on the Preview server.  There are some snags in how that works they want to iron out.  I don't think they're happy with how looting works, but each "easy" scenario has some rather ugly drawbacks.

Hopefully clerics will see some love.  It wouldn't take much really.  I little bump to heal efficiency and a slight decrease in the righteousness debuff (maybe 25 - 30% instead of 40), or a bump to armour/defense/deflection, or an increase to dps, but I think the first two fit the class better.  The self-healing of the cleric is mostly offset by its slower kill time.

Anyway, I'm also waiting for newer classes.  The only other class at the moment which really interests me is the control wizard but like you said, druid, psion, or bard sound much cooler.  I can deal with a ranger unless it becomes a dual weilding armoured rogue, that would be disappointing.

Rangers are confirmed to be archery. Paladins are also supposedly "in the works," as are scourge warlocks.