Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to Neverwinter?

ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
All the hype is gone no more discussions even tho it is in its most talked about stage open beta. Why is the hype meter pushed it out of the top lists is this a game that didn't reach the standards?

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    The hype flames that kept the Neverwinter hot air balloon afloat were put out by the utter flood from 2 places. Neverwinter fans thought the game sucked because it wasn't 'Neverwinter'.  Also the excessive amount of game economy exploits the developers didn't eliminate quickly put out the last feeble embers of hype.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Well, PW/Cryptic did nothing to deny it when people started thinking this would be Neverwinter Nights 3. The game is an absolute joke (and a bad one at that) compared to Biowares epic title. I still run a NWN1 server with a huge world on it. PW/Cryptic should have done a sequel to that, they would have had a huge new follwing but the 'STO with different graphics' didn't fly.

And the 'Foundry' compared to the Aurora Toolset? Thats an even bigger joke.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I guess the short answer is that people have now played it.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Originally posted by Athena_Starfire

Well, PW/Cryptic did nothing to deny it when people started thinking this would be Neverwinter Nights 3. The game is an absolute joke (and a bad one at that) compared to Biowares epic title. I still run a NWN1 server with a huge world on it. PW/Cryptic should have done a sequel to that, they would have had a huge new follwing but the 'STO with different graphics' didn't fly.

They did not, but info they gave screamed that it is nothing like NWN1.  Seriously players should take of their naivity-hype glasses cause it's not first time I see people hyping a game because it's same title or from same developer those people favourite game in past came when at same time it was damn obvious that it is not gonna be made with same principles / design.

All signs and info said that NWN Online was gonna be cash-shopped asian-like mmo grinder with limited dungeon editor instead of single player game + server toolset for multiplayer that gave players total control without strings attached that NWN1 was.

Seriously take out your head from you know what next time.  It was apparent NWN Online is not gonna be same type or even genre of game like NWN1, long months before release.  Players naivity got totally ridiculous.   Stop being so naive and actually try to analyze and understand marketting info you're getting.

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I appreciate the responses i just started but i forgot all about it because it wasn't mentioned on the site for days i was just wondering what sunk the boat.
  • Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94

Isn't it just because the people who still play are too busy grinding away at the pre-official-release events, people who were driven away by the exploits/experience/haters/fanboys no longer care to talk about the game, and the rest are just waiting for yet another "Oh, Cryptic" moment to talk about?

Wait until after the 20th to see discussion pop up again, I'd say.

• aromeroaromero Member Posts: 49

Originally posted by Pandaman102
    Isn't it just because the people who still play are too busy grinding away at the pre-official-release events, people who were driven away by the exploits/experience/haters/fanboys no longer care to talk about the game, and the rest are just waiting for yet another "Oh, Cryptic" moment to talk about? Wait until after the 20th to see discussion pop up again, I'd say.

This right here...

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    I am still playing the game. I don't give a rat's ass what the hype meter says. It's a really fun game to play. 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Sal1
    I am still playing the game. I don't give a rat's ass what the hype meter says. It's a really fun game to play. 

This!

And I'm having a ball with Foundry.

Ever wish MMO's would go back to having housing?  Well so did I and now I have the house of my dreams, complete with its own backstory and quest thanks to the Foundry.  That would of never happened in a normal MMO.  If you want to check out my creation search for "Ashbane Manor".  It is my own personal House with dungeon, exterior and questing area.  As I stated months ago the Foundry is the 1 tool that will change the game nad keep me playing, and surprise, I was right.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Portals happened image
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by azzamasin

This!

Ever wish MMO's would go back to having housing?  Well so did I and now I have the house of my dreams, complete with its own backstory and quest thanks to the Foundry.  That would of never happened in a normal MMO.  If you want to check out my creation search for "Ashbane Manor".  It is my own personal House with dungeon, exterior and questing area.  As I stated months ago the Foundry is the 1 tool that will change the game nad keep me playing, and surprise, I was right.

^^ This is cool. I think that the foundry was a good idea for this very reason. Capturing creativity and giving the players a choice is a good way to go.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AnslemAnslem Member CommonPosts: 215

This!

Hi! Search for it in game via foundry?  Housing is 50% of why I loved UO so much! I think it's time to start the download! :) 

Played: Ultima Online - DaoC - WoW -

• SnigerknudSnigerknud Member UncommonPosts: 60
    The game goes live today so give it a try
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Snigerknud

If you're quick enough with that try-giving (as in the next ~3 hours) you can see PE nighttime, with undead hordes roaming around the streets, probably knowing it's their last chance to take over before the live launch :)

(and also you can loot a blue skeleton doggie companion if you're lucky)

Originally posted by Sulaa

They did not, but info they gave screamed that it is nothing like NWN1.  Seriously players should take of their naivity-hype glasses cause it's not first time I see people hyping a game because it's same title or from same developer those people favourite game in past came when at same time it was damn obvious that it is not gonna be made with same principles / design.

All signs and info said that NWN Online was gonna be cash-shopped asian-like mmo grinder with limited dungeon editor instead of single player game + server toolset for multiplayer that gave players total control without strings attached that NWN1 was.

Seriously take out your head from you know what next time.  It was apparent NWN Online is not gonna be same type or even genre of game like NWN1, long months before release.  Players naivity got totally ridiculous.   Stop being so naive and actually try to analyze and understand marketting info you're getting.

And I am supposed to take this serious from someonw who is calling Neverwinter "NWN Online" ..its Neverwinter ..PERIOD. Not NWN Online..Not Neverwinter Nights Online, Not Neverwinter Online, just Neverwinter. Maybe if YOU should in your own words "Seriously take out your head from you know what next time. " (whatever that means)

You talk about naive and you can't even get your fact straight.. maybe when you learn something I will take you seriously...

Err...The game has been 'live' and fully publically playable in open beta for quite some time now. Its nothing new..

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Avoxia

This!

Hi! Search for it in game via foundry?  Housing is 50% of why I loved UO so much! I think it's time to start the download! :) 

Yes from the homepage (the screen that pops up when you first load into the game, forget the default keybind but mine is K) open the Foundry Tab, open the new tab and search for Ashbane Manor.

I put in a few mobs to give visitors something to do.  As a Drow Renegade (HotN Exclusive race) the backstory of my villa is that there has been several attempts from loyal supporters of Loth to kill me for my betrayal.  It starts by interacting with a decayed corpse of a Drow Assasin I strung up from there you can look around the outside, kill a few mobs (fauna typical to a forest in D&D) and even perform a jumping puzzle, if your into Parkour. From there transition into the inside and check my throne room, the study, the master bedroom and the main quarters.  As you explore you observe that something isn't quite right with the basement and upon reaching said basement you notice an entrance was made through solid rock.  Exploring this opening you transition into a cavern where you notice Drow have positioned themselves to make a go at the Manor once again.  Upon dispatching them you return to the manor and meet my Human Slave, who happens to be my 60 Trickster Rogue.  (there's a backstory with that too, but you'd have to inspect my Great Weapon Fighter's (Main) character sheet to read about how my GWF rescued my Rogue from the Gallows of the Dragon Coast and ever since he swore a life debt to my Drow Main.  I digress though.

The ability to customize (over 200 hours have been spent fine tuning my personal house) and create something no housing system has ever came close to replicating is just 1 facet on why I love the game and the Foundry.  

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Shrilly
    All the hype is gone no more discussions even tho it is in its most talked about stage open beta. Why is the hype meter pushed it out of the top lists is this a game that didn't reach the standards?

Nothing has happened to it, its just this forum is a volatile place to discuss themepark games. The game is doing well, servers are packed.

There is no real discussion of any themepark games on this forum, aside from hate threads or discussion on news articles. Do we see SWTOR, WoW, GW2 threads anymore? Nope. Not unless something new was released, and in that case it just gets flooded by haters.

Most fans of this type of game just can't be bothered.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Err...The game has been 'live' and fully publically playable in open beta for quite some time now. Its nothing new..

Seems like a lot of players put off joining because it was still 'beta' though. There has been a massive influx of newbies asking questions since the game went 'live'.

That is part of the reason why companies should drop the 'open beta' title if they arent going to wipe. It just confuses things.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by evilastro

Seems like a lot of players put off joining because it was still 'beta' though. There has been a massive influx of newbies asking questions since the game went 'live'.

I'm one of them. I've only played yesterday and today, but so far I am impressed. I got to lvl 15 before the server maintenance, and I can't wait for the servers to come back up again :)

It's fast paced and fun. It remains to see if there is any depth, but I must say I've got a lot out of my 0$ so far.

If it's still good at later levels I will pay a reasonable sum for more bags and char slots.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

The game was devoured, consumed and the left overs are laying there for grabs... 

There is a group of players still playing and creating foundry missions...

from which some are really really fun...

but most people just moved on..

The game was fun, but not good enough to keep the majorrity of players, the combat was actually fun, but there where to few skills to keep it interesting over the long time.  Quests where actually under par, childish, and Voice overs where horrible.  The only really fun content came from the foundry.  There was no more character advancement at max level.  All in all, it felt like a game and not like a virtuall world and so people moved on as they happen to do with most games.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• cybersurfrcybersurfr Member UncommonPosts: 168

1) The players do their discussions on the official forums.

2) The players are in-game playing.

3) It's F2P - people can try it for themselves easily without having to form up discussions to sway public opinion.

Personally, I find that nothing really stands out for Neverwinter other than the foundry. It's simply a good, fun, buggy pick-up game.

I haven't seen a drop out on the players since I started on "OB" launch. People quit/join on a daily-basis, but the influx more than makes up for those who leave. The player base is just as active as ever. With ESO delayed and Widstar still "coming soon", FF IV:ARR is the only upcoming competition in the themepark demographic.

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Well for me rift is way more fun thier was something in neverwinter that made it  pay to win forgot what it was i guess if you dont pvp it didnt matter kinda sucks because i dumped 60 bucks into it and didnt spend any of the what ever currency they gave.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Sulaa

And I am supposed to take this serious from someonw who is calling Neverwinter "NWN Online" ..its Neverwinter ..PERIOD. Not NWN Online..Not Neverwinter Nights Online, Not Neverwinter Online, just Neverwinter. Maybe if YOU should in your own words "Seriously take out your head from you know what next time. " (whatever that means)

You talk about naive and you can't even get your fact straight.. maybe when you learn something I will take you seriously...

Well while they did not flat out called it NWN3, they essentially relied on it's fan base to come over that are in the NWN community.  In a way it was a NWN3 in that they used the legacy of the series.

Craptic is relying on a renowned IP and an epic series to carry a lot of it's weight around.  There are PLENTY of lore places they could have easily made for their setting but NOOOOOOO... instead they went with the ONE city that everyone will be like "Wha... huh!?!?!?" with that one word.

They had so much potential with the game and they blew it by making it some mediocere themepark MMO pos.

• steamtanksteamtank Member UncommonPosts: 391

if you are going to make an mmo.... you should probably make the game better than something that came out in 2002 (neverwinter nights)

as soon as i found out they were not going to allow an even more in depth toolset over Aurora, I knew it was a failboat.