Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ncsoft At it again.../cry

ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

So, I began thinking about e3 and the MMO industry, and did a little research after a particular thought entered my head.  I discovered after a while, that NCSOFT took basically all profit from GW2 shop and sales to make this game.

Now, the actual act of them taking money from that game to make a new one would not bother me at all, had it been a different situation.  But here, I want my money going to Anet not Ncsoft.  

GW2 from a technical and innovation perspective has the frame to be one of the best games out there right now, but all they add is temporary garbage blah blah content.  Due to limited funding me thinks? Yup because it all went towards this, Wildstar.  So im sitting here thinking..they took fundings from a game with extreme amount of potential that they hyped the living **** out of ....and are using for their game thats going to have raids arenas quest hubs and your standard actionbar UI.

Wut.

Wait back up......WUT.  What are their stupidity levels at? http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Gz1EWGw3W3w/TJFp4fMypqI/AAAAAAAAAIs/v108AgGXt84/s1600/over9000.jpg

Now I know we haven't seen a balls ton of Wildstar info and vids, of course ill end up giving it its fair chance.  But what they have shown is essentially 2 factions, Quest hubs, Action bar combat w/ axis aiming, Raid info (please stahp) , arena's?        ( We already have a game with those silly, what was its name? Oh yes WoW.)  Instanced housing and warplots.  Their paths don't seem to have any impact on character development either (sad face).  Again don't get me wrong here, I'm gonna try the game, just like i try every other game that comes out, but much like TESO the things they're telling me are deffff not good for the industry and not what someone who is looking for something New wants to hear.  

Back to their previous work, I haven't played GW2 in about 3-4 months now, I simply grew tired of temporary content shenanigans.  But the things that they could've done in these 9 months without this occuring I pondered.  They probably could've pumped out a bangin expansion by now fixed WvW added actual permanent content the whole package!  

I remember having a blast with Exteel and Aion at launch but look where those games are now...dead.  Are you coming perfect world entertainment or something? Or just looking to make a WoW clone that crashes with the rest.  

http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/13/4325904/guild-wars-2-expansion-pack-is-being-prepared-says-ncsoft Wohoo...finally.  /cry.  

Played-Everything
Playing-LoL

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

So, I began thinking about e3 and the MMO industry, and did a little research after a particular thought entered my head.  I discovered after a while, that NCSOFT took basically all profit from GW2 shop and sales to make this game.

Now, the actual act of them taking money from that game to make a new one would not bother me at all, had it been a different situation.  But here, I want my money going to Anet not Ncsoft.  

GW2 from a technical and innovation perspective has the frame to be one of the best games out there right now, but all they add is temporary garbage blah blah content.  Due to limited funding me thinks? Yup because it all went towards this, Wildstar. 

GW2 has been out for less than 1 year

Carbine has been working on Wildstar for at least 5 years

Interview with Jess Lebow of Carbine: The Next Big Thing?
    By Trinity Divine, June 3, 2008

http://vault.ign.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=32

• JonestownJuiceJonestownJuice Member Posts: 21
    I don't think it works that way.  NCSoft is a publisher, not a developer.  They didn't take GW2 money to make Wildstar.  Carbine makes Wildstar and Arenanet makes GW2.
  • yllisyllis Member UncommonPosts: 72

So, I began thinking about e3

//WHINE WHINE COMPLAIN COMPLAIN// I removed the pointless drivel of the OP, if you care see post #1

Again don't get me wroWohoo...finally.  /cry.  

TRANSLATION:

A business didn't do that I wanted in retrospect, so I am ranting about it in a silly way.

Word to the OP, sometimes people who's job it is make money for investors make difficult choices and sometimes we like it, or not. GW2 is a fine game, and Wildstar has promise. Please stop pandering and just enjoy.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

So, I began thinking about e3 and the MMO industry, and did a little research after a particular thought entered my head.  I discovered after a while, that NCSOFT took basically all profit from GW2 shop and sales to make 

You did zero research. Carbine was formed in 2005 and became a part of NCSoft in 2007. WildStar began development 2 years before Guild Wars 2 did http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ncsoft-unveils-carbine-studios/017482/

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Nadia

GW2 from a technical and innovation perspective has the frame to be one of the best games out there right now, but all they add is temporary garbage blah blah content.  Due to limited funding me thinks? Yup because it all went towards this, Wildstar. 

While that would be a valid point, you can't take those statements literally at all.  "Working on" could mean a graphics artist drew the front cover and thats it.  Not to mention, assuming the devs chromosomes are intact, it doesn't take 5 years to think of raids arena's and quest hubs.  To support this, the GW2 Expansion was JUST announced along with the gem store statement of how Ncsoft is finnaly "pleased" with profits.  IT IS entirely possible for a publisher to divert funds to a different game. Thats the only reason companies like perfect world entertainment and NCsoft are still alive for example.  Their game dies, and they make a new one. That dies, they make a new one.  PWE's most recent decaying corpse is Neverwinter P2W extradoinare, and I can name a ton of dead games NCsoft has had relation with.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

I want my money going to Anet not Ncsoft.

Once you spent your money, you have NO say so on where it goes. You got what you paid for. That's the extent of it.

I understand you may not like what they are doing with their money, but it is Theirs now.

If they are putting their money into Wildstar, I don't see a problem with it. Not because I want to play Wildstar, but they are funding a new high end MMO. It's all good even if you don't like wildstar. It is a major release.

• SoMuchMassSoMuchMass Member Posts: 548

First, GW2 is an extremely average game from all facets from gameplay to innovation.

Second, it is premature to assume GW2 already made all the money it took to pay the game and build the servers and maintenance costs including hundreds of salaries.  I can assure you it will take a year or so for them to make that money it cost to make the game.  Let alone fund other games.

It will be years for NCSoft to take any money from GW2 to any other MMO.  WildStar started development same time as GW2 so this whole threads premise is false.

While that would be a valid point, you can't take those statements literally at all.  "Working on" could mean a graphics artist drew the front cover and thats it.  Not to mention, assuming the devs chromosomes are intact, it doesn't take 5 years to think of raids arena's and quest hubs.  To support this, the GW2 Expansion was JUST announced along with the gem store statement of how Ncsoft is finnaly "pleased" with profits.  IT IS entirely possible for a publisher to divert funds to a different game. Thats the only reason companies like perfect world entertainment and NCsoft are still alive for example.  Their game dies, and they make a new one. That dies, they make a new one.  PWE's most recent decaying corpse is Neverwinter P2W extradoinare, and I can name a ton of dead games NCsoft has had relation with.  

ArenaNet has not announced any expansions for Guild Wars 2 yet. ArenaNet is still fully staffed with Guild Wars 2 developers. If all of Guild Wars 2 'profits' are somehow being funneled into Carbine Studios, how are they paying all of the Guild Wars 2 devs?

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

While that would be a valid point, you can't take those statements literally at all.  "Working on" could mean a graphics artist drew the front cover and thats it.  Not to mention, assuming the devs chromosomes are intact, it doesn't take 5 years to think of raids arena's and quest hubs. 

How many mmos have you made ?

Originally posted by Roxtarr

So, I began thinking about e3 and the MMO industry, and did a little research after a particular thought entered my head.  I discovered after a while, that NCSOFT took basically all profit from GW2 shop and sales to make 

You did zero research. Carbine was formed in 2005 and became a part of NCSoft in 2007. WildStar started development the same year Guild Wars 2 did.

See statement above. The information they choose to display is powerful, and sometimes misleading.  Blizzards titan has been in development for like 6 years now or something, we haven't heard a single thing and the money from say diablo 3's cash shop couldve actually no, it certainly went towards other games and thats been totally legal and A ok with activision. Not that anyone cares because diablo 3 was a burning ship from beta, but the point stands.  

Announce game A, make game B, brings in enough money to support it and game A, derail Game B.  

It's ALL business for these two companies. Thats so extremely obvious.  Look at NCSOFT's track record...nuff said.    Hence why referring back to blizzard, they wont say a single thing about titan until WoW dies because it would hurt business for both of them to co-exist with large populations.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by JonestownJuice
    I don't think it works that way.  NCSoft is a publisher, not a developer.  They didn't take GW2 money to make Wildstar.  Carbine makes Wildstar and Arenanet makes GW2.

NCSoft is a publisher....who bought Arenanet in 2002 makign them a division of NCSoft and Carbine Studios was founded as a division of NCSoft with NCSoft backing.

Or to put it simply NCSoft 100% owns Arenanet and Carbine Studios.

They develop games independent of each other  and run their games independently but both ultimately answer to their Parent Corporation and all profits go to said Corporation to do with as they please.

Now I doubt the OP is right and ALL of GW2's profit went into development of Wildstar but certainly a portion of it was invested as such and another portion would of been invested back into GW2.This is just normal profit investment.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270

ArenaNet has not announced any expansions for Guild Wars 2 yet. ArenaNet is still fully staffed with Guild Wars 2 developers. If all of Guild Wars 2 'profits' are somehow being funneled into Carbine Studios, how are they paying all of the Guild Wars 2 devs?

Thats wierd cuz http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-coming/.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by JonestownJuice

NCSoft is a publisher....who bought Arenanet in 2002 makign them a division of NCSoft and Carbine Studios was founded as a division of NCSoft with NCSoft backing.

Or to put it simply NCSoft 100% owns Arenanet and Carbine Studios.

They develop games independent of each other  and run their games independently but both ultimately answer to their Parent Corporation and all profits go to said Corporation to do with as they please.

Now I doubt the OP is right and ALL of GW2's profit went into development of Wildstar but certainly a portion of it was invested as such and another portion would of been invested back into GW2.This is just normal profit investment.

No of course not ALL that profit would go there, that was just the wording.  They need some to pay employee's and pump out their god awful "temporary" content patches.  But being realistic its rather clear the support for GW2 has been awful and all signs lead to Wildstar being the reason.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    Originally posted by SoMuchMass

First, GW2 is an extremely average game from all facets from gameplay to innovation.

Second, it is premature to assume GW2 already made all the money it took to pay the game and build the servers and maintenance costs including hundreds of salaries.  I can assure you it will take a year or so for them to make that money it cost to make the game.  Let alone fund other games.

It will be years for NCSoft to take any money from GW2 to any other MMO.  WildStar started development same time as GW2 so this whole threads premise is false.

Dat opinion... lol and wtf is "extremely average"? How can that phrase exist? I do no understand.

Also, no one needs to make assumptions, NCSoft is a large corporation, they release documents to their shareholders saying how much money they're making. If you're going to make a claim, back it up with a source next time.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by DamonVile

While that would be a valid point, you can't take those statements literally at all.  "Working on" could mean a graphics artist drew the front cover and thats it.  Not to mention, assuming the devs chromosomes are intact, it doesn't take 5 years to think of raids arena's and quest hubs. 

Yes your right it didn't take 5 years to think of raids arena's etc but it does take 5+ years to create them.

NCsoft had there money in both camps before GW2 was ever released. and who are you to tell NCsoft where to spend there money,  GW2 keeps it's own portion of the profits as well.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

You did zero research. Carbine was formed in 2005 and became a part of NCSoft in 2007. WildStar started development the same year Guild Wars 2 did.

See statement above. The information they choose to display is powerful, and sometimes misleading.  Blizzards titan has been in development for like 6 years now or something, we haven't heard a single thing

Carbine paid a team of 45 people for 5 years - before GW2 released

did you read the 2008 interview ?  http://vault.ign.com/View.php?view=Articles.Detail&id=32

Originally posted by DamonVile

Solid attempt at trolling, but games that try to OutWoW WoW come and go buddy theres a million pages of proof to that one.  If you actually cared about what this game could be, or what all of those dead MMO's and WoW clones couldve been you'd see how bad this all is.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Thats wierd cuz http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild-wars-2-expansion-coming/.

HA! Saying that they will have an expansion "someday" isn't an announcement of an expansion. We've always known GW2 would eventually have an expansion. We knew that before the game even came out.

“Expansions are definitely something that we’ll potentially look at in the future, but we don’t have a timetable on it,” - Colin Johanson.

Instead of discussing the merits of your theory that all of GW2's profits are being funneled to Carbine studios, you choose to chase a rabbit off topic.  Please explain how you can prove that WildStar (which began development 2 years before GW2 did) is somehow taking all of Guild Wars 2's profits (which is still fully staffed).?

This discussion has been closed.