Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

EverQuest Next confirmed for PS4! (Kind of)

135

Comments

  • ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

  • AlleinAllein San Diego, CAPosts: 1,656Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by AticusWelles
    Originally posted by Allein

    Sorry for my ignorance, are there any modern cross-platform games that aren't FPS based? Mainly a PC gamer these days so not too up to date with the games available for the consoles I do have.

    Controls aren't too big of a deal, people map their keys in so many ways, a controller or kb/mouse aren't going to make too huge of a difference. Although I'd imagine that kb/mouse would have an advantage in almost all cases. Plugging in a kb/mouse to a PS4 would even this and the gamer would basically be using a PC at that point.

    My question is how would a controller only user (even with a mic) communicate? Voice chat would be mandatory? Only one channel, no more tell, group, guild, ooc, area wide, close by, etc?

    Seems like this would be a big immersion killer if a percent of the population couldn't properly communicate.

    They could just be teasing or maybe they are doing a PS4 only version, who knows. Just wondering if there is any previous games to compare to EQN is building up to be.

     FFXIV ARR.  You can talk using a keyboard same as you could on FFXI on ps2.

     

    Also while not exactly modern, and not cross platform, eqoa had an interesting way for people without a keyboard to communicate with pre-configured statements,  essentially a macro system exclusively for text.

    That sounds fairly immersion breaking if you walk up to someone and they respond more robotic then the actual NPCs. Reminds me of gold farmers in WoW.

    Again, I was talking mainly about controller only users (people that can't/won't use a keyboard/mouse on PS4). Unless keyboard was mandatory, I see a world full of mutes running around.

    Voice to chat could work, but would be poor with the tech currently available and might as well just use pre-made phrases at that point.

  • XevvXevv nowhere, PAPosts: 46Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

    How are those tactical games working out in terms of playerbase? Yea pretty much says it all to me.

    Clearly its such a superior system.

  • ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

    How are those tactical games working out in terms of playerbase? Yea pretty much says it all to me.

    Clearly its such a superior system.

    Nice strawman you are attempting to construct there.

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,546Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by AticusWelles
    Originally posted by Allein

    Sorry for my ignorance, are there any modern cross-platform games that aren't FPS based? Mainly a PC gamer these days so not too up to date with the games available for the consoles I do have.

    Controls aren't too big of a deal, people map their keys in so many ways, a controller or kb/mouse aren't going to make too huge of a difference. Although I'd imagine that kb/mouse would have an advantage in almost all cases. Plugging in a kb/mouse to a PS4 would even this and the gamer would basically be using a PC at that point.

    My question is how would a controller only user (even with a mic) communicate? Voice chat would be mandatory? Only one channel, no more tell, group, guild, ooc, area wide, close by, etc?

    Seems like this would be a big immersion killer if a percent of the population couldn't properly communicate.

    They could just be teasing or maybe they are doing a PS4 only version, who knows. Just wondering if there is any previous games to compare to EQN is building up to be.

     FFXIV ARR.  You can talk using a keyboard same as you could on FFXI on ps2.

     

    Also while not exactly modern, and not cross platform, eqoa had an interesting way for people without a keyboard to communicate with pre-configured statements,  essentially a macro system exclusively for text.

    That sounds fairly immersion breaking if you walk up to someone and they respond more robotic then the actual NPCs. Reminds me of gold farmers in WoW.

    Again, I was talking mainly about controller only users (people that can't/won't use a keyboard/mouse on PS4). Unless keyboard was mandatory, I see a world full of mutes running around.

    Voice to chat could work, but would be poor with the tech currently available and might as well just use pre-made phrases at that point.

    When I played FF11 on 360 I used a keyboard for chat and gamepad for everything else.  And so did many others.  The fact that the game is still alive since like 2001 from PS2 to 360 and still p2p im sure chatting wasnt much of a problem cuz im sure most console users who loved playing that game would go out and spend 15 bucks on a USB keyboard like i did.  On top of that we shared servers with Japanese too and also had a built in translater to speak to each other.

  • XevvXevv nowhere, PAPosts: 46Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

    How are those tactical games working out in terms of playerbase? Yea pretty much says it all to me.

    Clearly its such a superior system.

    Nice strawman you are attempting to construct there.

    Yea youve got nothing. Feel free to throw in another post so you can have the last word though. You can deem that as winning if you want Im done with you.

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,546Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

    There was nothing tactical about any of those games when i played it back in the day.  EvE is the only mmo that i see as tactical.

  • deveilbladdeveilblad Saint-Constant, QCPosts: 177Member
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

    How are those tactical games working out in terms of playerbase? Yea pretty much says it all to me.

    Clearly its such a superior system.

    Nice strawman you are attempting to construct there.

    Yea youve got nothing. Feel free to throw in another post so you can have the last word though. You can deem that as winning if you want Im done with you.

    Number of players doesn't mean the game is good... How much people are playing FarmVille or whatever on facebook...? Probably more than WoW players...

  • XevvXevv nowhere, PAPosts: 46Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

    How are those tactical games working out in terms of playerbase? Yea pretty much says it all to me.

    Clearly its such a superior system.

    Nice strawman you are attempting to construct there.

    Yea youve got nothing. Feel free to throw in another post so you can have the last word though. You can deem that as winning if you want Im done with you.

    Number of players doesn't mean the game is good... How much people are playing FarmVille or whatever on facebook...? Probably more than WoW players...

    Games are made to make money. Its a business.

    Shit game with 100mill players paying is far better to them than the best game ever with 10k

     

    Especially since "good" is relative. Im sure those ppl playing farmville like it...even if we dont.

  • AticusWellesAticusWelles Beverly hills, CAPosts: 152Member
    Originally posted by Allein
    Originally posted by AticusWelles
    Originally posted by Allein

    Sorry for my ignorance, are there any modern cross-platform games that aren't FPS based? Mainly a PC gamer these days so not too up to date with the games available for the consoles I do have.

    Controls aren't too big of a deal, people map their keys in so many ways, a controller or kb/mouse aren't going to make too huge of a difference. Although I'd imagine that kb/mouse would have an advantage in almost all cases. Plugging in a kb/mouse to a PS4 would even this and the gamer would basically be using a PC at that point.

    My question is how would a controller only user (even with a mic) communicate? Voice chat would be mandatory? Only one channel, no more tell, group, guild, ooc, area wide, close by, etc?

    Seems like this would be a big immersion killer if a percent of the population couldn't properly communicate.

    They could just be teasing or maybe they are doing a PS4 only version, who knows. Just wondering if there is any previous games to compare to EQN is building up to be.

     FFXIV ARR.  You can talk using a keyboard same as you could on FFXI on ps2.

     

    Also while not exactly modern, and not cross platform, eqoa had an interesting way for people without a keyboard to communicate with pre-configured statements,  essentially a macro system exclusively for text.

    That sounds fairly immersion breaking if you walk up to someone and they respond more robotic then the actual NPCs. Reminds me of gold farmers in WoW.

    Again, I was talking mainly about controller only users (people that can't/won't use a keyboard/mouse on PS4). Unless keyboard was mandatory, I see a world full of mutes running around.

    Voice to chat could work, but would be poor with the tech currently available and might as well just use pre-made phrases at that point.

    In EQOA there was a virtual keyboard and also the ability to create your own phrases.  I'm sure EQN will have the same thing.

     

    But even on PC where everyone has a keyboard, more than a few people refuse to talk, or use pre-canned macro phrases attached to their action bars.  Point is, anyone who wants to talk to you has options to.  In EQOA I played with a few people who could type on the virtual keyboard faster than a lot of people could on a physical keyboard.

  • ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Xevv

    Sorry remembering skills and what they do it hard for you. Tells me alot about you.

    Im just glad you have no say in the games design. Im sure you feel the same way about me.

    Sorry that tactical game play is too hard for you. See, I can do it too.

    How are those tactical games working out in terms of playerbase? Yea pretty much says it all to me.

    Clearly its such a superior system.

    Nice strawman you are attempting to construct there.

    Yea youve got nothing. Feel free to throw in another post so you can have the last word though. You can deem that as winning if you want Im done with you.

    Number of players doesn't mean the game is good... How much people are playing FarmVille or whatever on facebook...? Probably more than WoW players...

    Games are made to make money. Its a business.

    Shit game with 100mill players paying is far better to them than the best game ever with 10k

    Well, by your logic, Everquest Next should be EverVille.

  • KuanshuKuanshu Des Moines, IAPosts: 272Member

     

    Aren't ya'll a reactionary bunch, LOL...where is the faith?

    This is where more and more games are going and MMOs are becoming more and more console friendly as PS4 and XBox One will surely hold their own for a while considering the current specifications

    I forsee more peripherals being used with these new consoles when they come out and this will surely add more exciting and dynamic gameplay for any genre

    Elder Scrolls online is going multiplatform even though each will have its own megaserver so you won't being going up against XBox One or PC/Mac, if your on PS4. EQN could handle it much the same way.

    I really don't see any negative side to this whatsoever and holding onto any experiences playing MMOs on consoles isn't going to help much either.

    Keep an open mind and see how things unfold as invention and innovation is occurring more and more in technology and improving things for everyone consistently and constantly.

    If this is a bump in the road its a speed bump so we can slow down and take some time to appreciate MMORPGs over one of the next gen consoles; I for one would rather relax on my comfy couch with friends and family playing EQN and ESO on the big screen instead of what I endured in the past playing MMORPGs with a desk/computer chair/tower/monitor setup for long hours.

    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best

     

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member

    I wonder if PS4 fans realize that this game requires the Internet.  If they manage to figure that out they'll probably run screaming in absolute terror.

    Its ridiculous how they can barely stand the thought of using the internet on a console, while they post about their agony over this on internet websites.

    El Psy Congroo

  • ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

    I wonder if PS4 fans realize that this game requires the Internet.  If they manage to figure that out they'll probably run screaming in absolute terror.

    Its ridiculous how they can barely stand the thought of using the internet on a console, while they post about their agony over this on internet websites.

    You do realize the controversy over the Xbox One isn't that it uses the internet, but it requires the internet even with single player games and the fact that every game will have DRM?

  • AticusWellesAticusWelles Beverly hills, CAPosts: 152Member
    Originally posted by Kuanshu

     

    Aren't ya'll a reactionary bunch, LOL...where is the faith?

    This is where more and more games are going and MMOs are becoming more and more console friendly as PS4 and XBox One will surely hold their own for a while considering the current specifications

    I forsee more peripherals being used with these new consoles when they come out and this will surely add more exciting and dynamic gameplay for any genre

    Elder Scrolls online is going multiplatform even though each will have its own megaserver so you won't being going up against XBox One or PC/Mac, if your on PS4. EQN could handle it much the same way.

    I really don't see any negative side to this whatsoever and holding onto any experiences playing MMOs on consoles isn't going to help much either.

    Keep an open mind and see how things unfold as invention and innovation is occurring more and more in technology and improving things for everyone consistently and constantly.

    If this is a bump in the road its a speed bump so we can slow down and take some time to appreciate MMORPGs over one of the next gen consoles; I for one would rather relax on my comfy couch with friends and family playing EQN and ESO on the big screen instead of what I endured in the past playing MMORPGs with a desk/computer chair/tower/monitor setup for long hours.

    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best

     

    While I don't have any intentions of buying PS4, I hope that at least some servers are cross compatible.  My friends refuse to play a PC MMO, and the only way to play with them is if we can play on the same server regardless of our platform of choice.

  • deveilbladdeveilblad Saint-Constant, QCPosts: 177Member
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

    I wonder if PS4 fans realize that this game requires the Internet.  If they manage to figure that out they'll probably run screaming in absolute terror.

    Its ridiculous how they can barely stand the thought of using the internet on a console, while they post about their agony over this on internet websites.

    Wow... you didn't get it AT ALL lol...

     

    Almost everyone that owns a console has it plugged in for Internet... The issue is with the fact the Xbox One has to check in online every 24 hours or you cannot play it at all,even singel player games, not that it uses Internet... Because posting things like you just did, think a little before and try to at least understand the issue before making fun of it ... /facepalm

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by AticusWelles

    While I don't have any intentions of buying PS4, I hope that at least some servers are cross compatible.  My friends refuse to play a PC MMO, and the only way to play with them is if we can play on the same server regardless of our platform of choice.

    if EQN does come to consoles, highly likely it will be different servers

    - like Free Realms, DCUO, Planetside 2

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,546Member Uncommon

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex92EBblLO4

    Oh ya real tactical combat standing in one place and everything repeating the same skill with majority of the screen covered with menus.

  • deveilbladdeveilblad Saint-Constant, QCPosts: 177Member
    Originally posted by tkreep

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex92EBblLO4

    Oh ya real tactical combat standing in one place and everything repeating the same skill with majority of the screen covered with menus.

    That's EQ1 no? How is this relevant to what EQ Next is going to be like lol ?

  • ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by tkreep

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex92EBblLO4

    Oh ya real tactical combat standing in one place and everything repeating the same skill with majority of the screen covered with menus.

    I didn't say tactical combat, though there was a lot of tactics to take down raid mobs. Tank rotation, timed complete heals, etc. What's tactics is deciding what skills you need for which situation. If you choose wrong, you get caught with your pants down, especially in PVP. EQ was largely primitive in it, but it was leaps and bounds above WoW's concept of having every single ability filling your entire screen.

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,546Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by deveilblad
    Originally posted by tkreep

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex92EBblLO4

    Oh ya real tactical combat standing in one place and everything repeating the same skill with majority of the screen covered with menus.

    That's EQ1 no? How is this relevant to what EQ Next is going to be like lol ?

    I was responding to some of the posters in this thread

  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,447Member Uncommon
    This whole thread is messed up. That twitter post said nothing. Ooo he made a smile face, that means nothing =-P Marketing wont let him say if it is or isnt going to be on the PS4. Cut it one way or the other and he would have gotten in trouble. I still dont see EQN ending up on the PS4 unless its a long way down the line when they come up with a dumbed down copy of the game console user can play. If it was going to the PS4 we would have seen something about it at E3 at the PS4 presentation. Even just the title showing up saying Everquest as it is a Sony product.


    =-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 


  • ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    This whole thread is messed up. That twitter post said nothing. Ooo he made a smile face, that means nothing =-P Marketing wont let him say if it is or isnt going to be on the PS4. Cut it one way or the other and he would have gotten in trouble. I still dont see EQN ending up on the PS4 unless its a long way down the line when they come up with a dumbed down copy of the game console user can play. If it was going to the PS4 we would have seen something about it at E3 at the PS4 presentation. Even just the title showing up saying Everquest.

    Planetside 2 for PS4 wasn't shown off at all and DCUO for PS4 was not shown at the Sony press conference.

  • deveilbladdeveilblad Saint-Constant, QCPosts: 177Member
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    This whole thread is messed up. That twitter post said nothing. Ooo he made a smile face, that means nothing =-P Marketing wont let him say if it is or isnt going to be on the PS4. Cut it one way or the other and he would have gotten in trouble. I still dont see EQN ending up on the PS4 unless its a long way down the line when they come up with a dumbed down copy of the game console user can play. If it was going to the PS4 we would have seen something about it at E3 at the PS4 presentation. Even just the title showing up saying Everquest as it is a Sony product.

    Well SOE = Sony = PS4, and with the PS4 specs essentially being a PC, I don't see why they wouldn't want more customers with the console users.

  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Alexandria, VAPosts: 4,546Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by tkreep

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex92EBblLO4

    Oh ya real tactical combat standing in one place and everything repeating the same skill with majority of the screen covered with menus.

    I didn't say tactical combat, though there was a lot of tactics to take down raid mobs. Tank rotation, timed complete heals, etc. What's tactics is deciding what skills you need for which situation. If you choose wrong, you get caught with your pants down, especially in PVP. EQ was largely primitive in it, but it was leaps and bounds above WoW's concept of having every single ability filling your entire screen.

    I can say the same thing for Final Fantasy 11 which was a multi-platform and on top of that there was feature called skillchaining which required party members to be n'sync with their skills to pull off a special effect that damages the mob or heals the party depending on the type of skillchain and a mage would precede it with a spell that would cause a burst.  If you look at any raiding event gameplay on yourtube or something you would see the players would have several sets of macros filled with different skills.  People with stun had to pay attention and cast it on time when the mob starts casting something real bad. Mages had to maintain and make use of their mp at a steady rate while casting the right spells at the right time.

This discussion has been closed.