Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: MMORPG.com's E3 2013 Awards

Comments

• yangdudeyangdude Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I've been liking the look of Archeage for a while but the comment about the sieges was worrying.  So someone with the most real money can afford to continually bid for their own siege and therefore continuously get stronger?  Or simultaneously bid the most for other sieges and therefore potentially capture the most land.  I hope this isn't how the mechanics will work or the theme of owning your own property may be a big bust - and that might be the only thing setting this game apart from the myriad of current games available.... 
  • grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Ladrann27

While I am very much looking forward to see what EQN has to offer, I think it should not be on a best of list if the game did not have any real presence at E3.

Still, I cannot wait untill August to see what SOE has planned for us. I think there are many people expecting different things, so my guess is many people will be excited about the game but there will also be many that will be dissapointed.

Only time will tell, lets hope for the best as the MMORPG genre is in need of a big change.

Apparently, what I've been told by other forum members here, the award can go to any game the writer of the article sees. So if someone showed Bill some screen shots of a new Leisure Suit Larry game on their iPhone, Bill could award that game the Best of the Show, even tho nobody but him saw the game and who gives a crap about the other developers who worked for weeks/months prepping for the E3 conference to promote their games.

Let it go dude, let it go.   We got it.  You don't think a game that didn't officially "present" itself should be best of show.  Duly noted.

Next time you want to make the same complaint 10 times in a single thread, can you go ahead and make some of those complaints funny?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Maybe instead of giving EQN best of show they should give SMedley best salesman and BSer of show......
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759

EQ Next Best of Show?????????

Until I actually get more show ... I ... say..... The award is a lie!!!!!!!

Seriously.... come on MMORPG.com I am losing faith.

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

'When Sony pulls back the curtain later this summer, you will not be disappointed. EverQuest Next is this year's E3 Best of Show, and in just a couple months you'll all understand why. We promise."

That right there is a pretty bold statement.  A sandbox and you will not be disappointed.  We promise.  Bill ..............

~Hairysun

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Do you people even read?  They aren't just making Everquest Next best of show for the hell of it or based on the already existing hype, they got to see stuff from the game and from the August reveal.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    In 2 months we can decide if MMOrpg.com was paid off or now =-) My guess is its legit. This is a SoE in house game. Cant wait to see what they have for us fans. EQ1 was my first MMO love!

46 days to Aug 2nd

45... I'm not amused calendar!

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by H3deon

so cant we just cut out July already, and call it August? ><

I know right >< cant wait for august to roll round.

You are all going to poop yourselves.

Bill, I believe you just gave a new meaning to 'sandbox'.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Really disgusting a game that wasn't even in the show won best of show.

Sorry MMORPG.com Staff, you guys really blew it on this one.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375

Yes these are MMORPG.COM's awards. They give them to whomever they want. However, if they want to be taken seriously, they need to follow certain norms and values that the public come to expect from serious sites.

Giving BEST OF SHOW to a game that wasnt in the show is a joke. Plain and simple. If Bill wants to contribute to hyping a game that much (because he knows he is), he could have given it a HONORARY MENTION or something like that. What he is saying is that a game that wasnt present at E3 bested all the games that actually was there. If that isnt a load of bullcrap hype overdrive, I dont know what is.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Mimzel

Yes these are MMORPG.COM's awards. They give them to whomever they want. However, if they want to be taken seriously, they need to follow certain norms and values that the public come to expect from serious sites.

Giving BEST OF SHOW to a game that wasnt in the show is a joke. Plain and simple. If Bill wants to contribute to hyping a game that much (because he knows he is), he could have given it a HONORARY MENTION or something like that. What he is saying is that a game that wasnt present at E3 bested all the games that actually was there. If that isnt a load of bullcrap hype overdrive, I dont know what is.

Seriously, that is a bunch of hogwash.  Bill was at the show, some of the games he is not permitted to talk about, like SOE's EQNext.  Does not mean the game was not shown, just that those that saw the game are not allowed to talk about it at present.  He is providing us with his opinion.  It is your right to disagree with him, but since you were not one of those selected to view it, I think your arguments end up rather weak.

So please tell me how this effects the site from being taken seriously.  Looking at what was released to the public at E3, many of us were quite unimpressed.  Several of the more popular games were console only, which is an immediate -5 in my book.

So I am glad that Bill saw enough of EQNext to relay how impressed he was with it by giving it Best of Show.  Thank you Bill.

For all you whiners out there ignoring the obvious, EQNext was shown at the show, just that you have to wait until SOE's show to get reviews of it.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Just like SWTOR right ?
    i mean we should totaly trust media sites, after all they give wicked revieuws for mmo's that fail after the 1 month sub !!!!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Superman0X

Bill, I believe you just gave a new meaning to 'sandbox'.

"So, exactly when did gamers begin associating fecalphiliac jokes with our next title on your site?"

"Oh...Go ahead and pull the advertising, guys."

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by DMKano
    EQN best of the show, and we know nothing. Hype overdrive.

Exactly.  I'm not even going to comment on the carefully scripted, highly positive interviews he's had with Dave Georgeson in the last 3 years.  Yes Bill, you've said you are friends with the SOE guys.  However, didn't you write, not too long ago, an article how MMORPG.com was going to be less biased, more criticial, and less on the hype-train than in the past?  Why does Dave get a Get Out Of Jail Free card in how you present his interviews and products?

See, SOE promised exclusivity to reveal the EQN content to the devoted EQ fans on Aug. 2nd for SOE Live.  If you read some of the comments from them, they're not exactly thrilled that promise was broken.  Granted, Bill has taken an Oath of Silence on what he saw, but it still leaves a bitter taste in some people's mouths.

I'm going to highlight something from Bill's quote that I find interesting:

"Say what? You thought this one wasn’t at E3? Well, really... it wasn’t in any official capacity. But we were treated to an early look at what SOE has planned for the game’s unveiling in August and we were quite simply blown away by every little detail we saw. This is going to sound like a cop-out, but we can't say why we are choosing EQN as our Best of Show because we've been sworn to secrecy until the big debut in August. What we can say is that we saw grand plans for the world's largest sandbox and it was more than enough to stand head and shoulders above any game we saw at E3. When Sony pulls back the curtain later this summer, you will not be disappointed. EverQuest Next is this year's E3 Best of Show, and in just a couple months you'll all understand why. We promise."

Grand plans.  So, there was a lot of stuff on paper, words exchanged how amazing it will be, and a couple of screen shots?  Grands plans is a future tense of things that are coming.  Which brings me to my final point:

EQN won MMORPG's Best of Show because of a behind-the-curtain reveal of what EQN will be.  How can so much merit be given to a product if you only got to see the plans for it?  Even if you saw a little bit more, other companies, like Square Enix did a multi-thousand dollar display for Final Fantasy: ARR.  How can EQN get Best of Show when there wasn't a display, when 2 people got to see..plans.. and the general public was denied anything at all?  The whole thing is a farce.

Maybe EQN will be all that and a bag of chips.  I hope it will.  But, what we have here is just another cheesy, biased Hype inflation with the same, tired old message, "Its sooooo cool, but we can't talk about it!  (giggle) ".

I really have to shake my head at how Best of Show was awarded here. 

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

We'll see how the games fare upon and after launch. Nice vids. Thanks for sharing.

To all the others that are disgruntled, butt-hurt, indignant, superfluous in negative comments, condescending, and even blatantly ignorant because game 'x' is where it shouldn't be or should be but isn't....go make your own website. Fill with all of your opinions, graphs and links for predicting the success and failure of game x-y-z and vent out all of that hot air.

Grow up, seriously.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

"EQN won MMORPG's Best of Show because of a behind-the-curtain reveal of what EQN will be.  How can so much merit be given to a product if you only got to see the plans for it?  Even if you saw a little bit more, other companies, like Square Enix did a multi-thousand dollar display for Final Fantasy: ARR.  How can EQN get Best of Show when there wasn't a display, when 2 people got to see..plans.. and the general public was denied anything at all?  The whole thing is a farce."

Again, how is it a farce?  If you took some time to read various sites where people got invited to the private viewing, the reaction was pretty much the same.  I am no SOE fan by any means, but all you have to do is look at the show and what was shown to the public to be very unimpressed.  It would not take much for SOE to trump them.  Just because you are jealous you were not one of those selected to see the preview is no reason to jump on someone who did.  

If you are going to make an argument, you should make some effort to support it, all I see is a lot of complaining that it was not shown to the public.   

• HalsyHalsy Member Posts: 4
    Wow with EQN, TTH gave them best of show two. Said it looks awesome as a possum!

Were you listening to the dude's story?

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by Halsy
    Wow with EQN, TTH gave them best of show two. Said it looks awesome as a possum!

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/251130/page/8

"While we are sworn to secrecy on exactly what we were shown, what we can say is that EverQuest Next was hands-down the best game we had the pleasure of seeing during E3 2013. Franchise fans and MMO gamers across the globe will be able to learn exactly why that’s the case on August 2nd during SOE Live when EQNext is given its grand unveiling.

Trust us when we say that you’ll want to mark that date on your calendar, and be prepared to bask in the warm glow of EverQuest Next in all its glory. In the meantime, kudos to the folks over at SOE for winning our Best of Show award; we’re as excited as you are to witness the impact EverQuest Next is surely going to have on gamers this August!"

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Jesus.  Just when you think "games journalism" can't sink any lower, we get...this.  If a real journalist pulled this shit they'd never be taken seriously again.  Ever.  Anyone remember when EQ2 was supposed to be the new hotness???  Yeah.  How'd that turn out? 

And if soe did pay off Bill Murphy I don't think they would have given him much.  Probably not cash.   Something more along the lines of this:

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• blohm86blohm86 Member Posts: 43
    What is this? Best of Show EQNext? Rising star Archeage? Man Im losing faith in this site, how can you hype these kinds of games? Have you no morals?
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Muke
    I usually wait till like 6 months after a mmo gets released -if I don't experience beta- if I buy it or not, usually the hype dust has settled by then, everyone has taken off their pink glasses and I can judge for myself if it's worth my money and you don't end up abandoning another MMO after 2 months and $50 wasted. :P

Crazy to wait 6 months .

You will be far behind the other players progress and come into the game as a complete n00b.

From my experience , the best part of MMO is when everyone is learning the game and on equal footing especially if the game is anything like EQ1 and EQ2 where you actually needed groups to do anything useful .

• NaMeNaMeNaMeNaMe Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by DMKano
    EQN best of the show, and we know nothing. Hype overdrive.

"if u forcefully insert foriegn objects into my? body, i will die"

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153
    Originally posted by blohm86
    What is this? Best of Show EQNext? Rising star Archeage? Man Im losing faith in this site, how can you hype these kinds of games? Have you no morals?

This is my Best of Show comment.  Either he's being sarcastic, which is really funny, or he thinks that morals have something to do with handing out non-consequential awards for video games that haven't been released yet.. also, really funny.

So there you have it, the E3 2013 Best of Comments.  Too bad he couldn't post anonymously.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by Arakazi

Thats how hype train starts you know nothing but call it best hybrid and hype starts mmorpg.com at there best lol

EQN is just themebox with prolly mediocre gameplay(just made that up) lets DE-HYPE  it:P

Haha De-Hype! That's awesome :)

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011