Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the point of TESO

Comments

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    I think the concept of the game and the choice of Firor to lead the new company was excellent.His early descrition of his vision for the game  was exciting. I also think the direction the game has taken in the last few months has dramatically reduced my interest  and hope in what I thought was going to be a great AVA game.

I feel the same. No hard feeling toward anyone. Its just heading a direction I am not at all interested in. Maybe there is still hope since it is so far away from being launched....just maybe.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Sawlstone
    I think the concept of the game and the choice of Firor to lead the new company was excellent.His early descrition of his vision for the game  was exciting. I also think the direction the game has taken in the last few months has dramatically reduced my interest  and hope in what I thought was going to be a great AVA game.

I feel the same. No hard feeling toward anyone. Its just heading a direction I am not at all interested in. Maybe there is still hope since it is so far away from being launched....just maybe.

And none taken.

Though I love pvp I am more interested in the game when they say "multi-player elder scrolls".

I don't care about factions because in my experience the "new mmo player" doesn't care much about faction pride. I would sooner have a FFA pvp elder scrolls game.

However, anything that maximizes my freedom like a classic elder scrolls game (well the few that had this type of freedom) is ok in my book.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Sawlstone

Same here and unlike jctgs (or however he spells his name) is wrong about people not understanding DAoC.  DAoC RvR is synonymous across the MMO genre as having excellent PvP with many people considering it the best iteration of PvP in an MMO to date.  I am extremely upset that the vast majority of new players will never ever be able to understand what makes MMO's so rewarding for players like me because they will now play the game on a console and a console will never be able to replicate the communications and precise systems/ideals of n MMO.  There's just something to be said for playing an MMO on a Keyboard and Mouse that can never be replicated with a console gamepad.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by azzamasin

Same here and unlike jctgs (or however he spells his name) is wrong about people not understanding DAoC.  DAoC RvR is synonymous across the MMO genre as having excellent PvP with many people considering it the best iteration of PvP in an MMO to date. 

Only to former DaoC players.

Nobody that came In with Guild Wars 1 believes DaoC had better PvP, nobody that came in with WoW believes it either, nobody that came into the MMO genre within the last 3 years says "boy that DaoC had better PvP than the MMOs I have played!"

Because they NEVER PLAYED IT...oh wait, do you actually think that because YOU and some other former DaoC players post online about it that it makes people believe your experiences with that game is going to change their mind about their own experiences?!?

Rose colored glasses...glasses that have made some people so blind that they wont even admit that if DaoCs RvR was so damn great...why the hell didn't ANYONE EVER COPY IT? They didn't, because of its massive flaws and limitations.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Voqar

At this point I'm wonder why they're making this game.

Seriously, I don't get why suddenly NOW so many of the few people that looked at the game as a great idea are now upset.

From the very start they showed they had no real interest in making an actual TES MMO but instead was making a quick cash grab. You don't base a TES game on DaoC if you have any actual interest in making a game for TES fans. The whole OMG its also being made for consoles is just a small example of that mindset.

It would have been different if they were making an actual TES game with just multiplayer capabilities because the last two TES games were also multi-platform...even though Skyrim was the only one built AROUND Console play. As is, they are making a cluster ____ of a game that's going to meet almost nobodies standards or wants.

Most console TES players don't play MMOs, nor have much interest in them. Though many of them will be ignorant of what the game is going to limit them too in terms of gameplay, I do see sales being somewhat high just from the name, but retention will be another matter because SRPG players don't want to be forced into having to do anything and the race/faction restriction alone will bar those that like multi-playing because it will force them and their friends to have to play the same thing, which is a turn off for many of that style of player.

Most PC TES players don't like DaoC style limitations or feel it fits the TES style of gameplay for the same reasons as console SRPGers with the addition of lack of open world and funneled PvP content being the basis of the game.

Most PC MMO players never played DaoC and really don't know what they are in for when they hit that wall DaoC had.

The latest information about the game should be expected when the developers base their game in a small box and are disconnected from their target audience...sorry DaoC fans, you shot yourselves in the foot in hopes to grasp at past experiences without really thinking about what they were doing, taking an existing IP with fans far different than you are and trying to please BOTH. You were far better off jumping on the CU bandwagon and trying to get them to make it more like DaoC than not via funding pressure.

How many MMOers that you know don't also have consoles? But you know that those who played Skyrim or Oblivion on a console don't do MMOs... nice leap of logic.

And If you're going to keep using the word "most" to try to give unwarranted credibility to your doom and gloom, you'd better back that up with some solid data. All you're really doing is revealing that you have unique opinions and some sort of faith-based belief system on your ability to gauge public gaming opinion.

And which is it? Did most people not play DAoC or do most TES players, who presumably by your logic also didn't play DAoC, don't like "DAoC style limitations" Whatever the f__k that means. How would they know if they've never played it?

In any PvP game I've ever played, be it open world or scenario based, the one thing that sets the good PvP guilds apart from the rabble is strategy, tactics and coordination. That's how smart PvPers do it. And what the f__k do you think RvR is all about? It's organized open world (you can quibble about the size required for it to be "true" open world but Cyrodiil is the size of several WOW zones put together and it has all the usual MMO world trappings like resources, quests and dungeons) PvP with group coordination, strategy and tactics.

I guess you must be championing the cause of dumb PvPers everywhere who run around with no purpose when you say that "most" who have never experienced RvR won't like it. It's a hell of a lot more likely that people new to it will see it as something much better than the usual running around like a chicken with its head cut off or solo stealth-ganking. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Same here and unlike jctgs (or however he spells his name) is wrong about people not understanding DAoC.  DAoC RvR is synonymous across the MMO genre as having excellent PvP with many people considering it the best iteration of PvP in an MMO to date. 

Nobody that came In with Guild Wars 1 believes DaoC had better PvP, nobody that came in with WoW believes it either, nobody that came into the MMO genre within the last 3 years says "boy that DaoC had better PvP than the MMOs I have played!"

Because they NEVER PLAYED IT...oh wait, do you actually think that because YOU and some other former DaoC players post online about it that it makes people believe your experiences with that game is going to change their mind about their own experiences?!?

Rose colored glasses...glasses that have made some people so blind that they wont even admit that if DaoCs RvR was so damn great...why the hell didn't ANYONE EVER COPY IT? They didn't, because of its massive flaws and limitations.

DAOC has been and continues to be a  subscription based mmog after 11 years.Care to name 2-3 other faction vs faction centric games ,that are still going strong, that can make that claim ?

Players are voting with their money every day about which is the greatest faction vs faction centric game ever.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

I just cannot see this game turning out to be very good. I think it's just going to be another generic theme park mmo :/

If it's not like the single player games, with a large open world and open ended gameplay, then it's a fail.  Because that is what elder scroll fans want and the whole reason they buy the elder scrolls games.

The fact it's not even being made by Bethesda worries me as well. Games that are contracted out to third parties almost always turn out bad.

Also what compromises are being made for the console? Games have to be a lot less complex when you don't even have a keyboard...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Because WOW doesn't have it and game designers have largely been copying that same tired design for the past 8 years or so.

No doubt, RVR is a niche market and there's no telling how the PC gamer who never played DAOC during its prime will react should this title somehow manage to recreate the full experience.

But not to worry, I think DAOC was a "perfect storm" of factors that no one will ever be able to duplicate and this title will be carving out its own name with its version of RvR.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

It never ceases to amaze me how many people who like to throw the trendy "I hate themeparks" phrase around say, usually in the same sentence, that they like TES.

You don't really think that quest-based game like TES is a sandbox do you? The ability to ignore plot-lines and auto-scaled NPC strength don't make it a sandbox you know. You can ignore all plot-lines in WOW and GW2 also auto-scales combat. Are they sandboxes?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin

Most console TES players don't play MMOs,

Most PC TES players don't like DaoC style limitations

Most PC MMO players never played DaoC

How many MMOers that you know don't also have consoles? But you know that those who played Skyrim or Oblivion on a console don't do MMOs... nice leap of logic.

You highlighted 3 things from my entire post and then attack it with something NOT related. Nice leap of logic.

At no point did I say that most MMO players do not have consoles...and yes, most TES players do NOT play MMOs as can be CLEARLY seen on TES websites where they are saying the game is not a TES game...OR WHY THE COMPANY ITSELF IS NOW TRYING TO REMOVE THE GAME FROM BEING ASSOCIATED WITH MMOS AND ARE TRYING TO PASS IT OFF AS A TES MULTIPLAYER GAME!

But wait, why am I talking TESO with someone that is going around saying TESO will sell 10 million copies and shut WoW down...hell, not even the COMPANY believes it will work anymore so are abandoning the MMO association. Do you even have anyone other than hardcore fanboys on your side anymore?

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Most console TES players don't play MMOs,

Most PC TES players don't like DaoC style limitations

Most PC MMO players never played DaoC

You highlighted 3 things from my entire post and then attack it with something NOT related. Nice leap of logic.

At no point did I say that most MMO players do not have consoles...and yes, most TES players do NOT play MMOs as can be CLEARLY seen on TES websites where they are saying the game is not a TES game...OR WHY THE COMPANY ITSELF IS NOW TRYING TO REMOVE THE GAME FROM BEING ASSOCIATED WITH MMOS AND ARE TRYING TO PASS IT OFF AS A TES MULTIPLAYER GAME!

But wait, why am I talking TESO with someone that is going around saying TESO will sell 10 million copies and shut WoW down...hell, not even the COMPANY believes it will work anymore so are abandoning the MMO association. Do you even have anyone other than hardcore fanboys on your side anymore?

"Shut WOW down" is your spin... 10 Mil copies? Quite possible... "abandoning MMO association" once again, your own brand of melodramatic hyperbole....

My side? Unless you mean rational people that don't go off half-cocked on every issue with melodrama, as you do, and who will either play this game or not depending on whether it sucks or not when it's released... I don't have any other side.

Don't mistake my reply to you as support for anything. It's just a reply against melodramatic nonsense...nothing more.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    $

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Originally posted by MMOman101
    $

Did you think any AAA video games were designed for love? Only addicts and children would think that. It's an industry that rivals Hollywood for revenue... that's a clue.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

The point of TESO is to make people bitch and moan till it comes out.

That's just my opinion tho.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by MMOman101

$

The only point is to sell boxes.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Give me an Em

Give me an Oh

Give me an En

Give me an Ee

Give me a Why

What does that spell?!

MONEY!!!

"Shut WOW down" is your spin... 10 Mil copies? Quite possible... "abandoning MMO association" once again, your own brand of melodramatic hyperbole....

My side? Unless you mean rational people that don't go off half-cocked on every issue with melodrama, as you do, and who will either play this game or not depending on whether it sucks or not when it's released... I don't have any other side.

Don't mistake my reply to you as support for anything. It's just a reply against melodramatic nonsense...nothing more.

More proof you have NO CREDIBILITY at all.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/06/e3-2013-elder-scrolls-online-is-a-multiplayer-game-with-social-interactions/

Matt Frior, THE MAN MAKING THE GAME "Elder Scrolls Online is a multiplayer game with a built in social aspects like doing quests with friends or guilds. Though it’s not really an MMO at all".

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/23350/the-elder-scrolls-online-is-more-a-multiplayer-elder-scrolls-game-than-an-mmo

""This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO," Matt Firor explains to Gamereactor"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/zenimax-views-teso-as-more-multiplayer-elder-scrolls-than-mmo/

"We wanted to get Elder Scrolls players who were unfamiliar with online games and MMO terms to get in, play, have fun and get introduced to the multiplayer aspects."

Sorry buddy, your rose colored glasses have blinded you to everything...even the people making the game you are trying to hump agree with ME and what I have stated here. They are in full tilt damage control now trying to undo the last years worth of hype that completely missed its mark which is NOT YOU. lol...

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/06/e3-2013-elder-scrolls-online-is-a-multiplayer-game-with-social-interactions/

Matt Frior, THE MAN MAKING THE GAME "Elder Scrolls Online is a multiplayer game with a built in social aspects like doing quests with friends or guilds. Though it’s not really an MMO at all".

http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/23350/the-elder-scrolls-online-is-more-a-multiplayer-elder-scrolls-game-than-an-mmo

""This is more a multiplayer Elder Scrolls game than an MMO," Matt Firor explains to Gamereactor"

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/06/05/zenimax-views-teso-as-more-multiplayer-elder-scrolls-than-mmo/

"We wanted to get Elder Scrolls players who were unfamiliar with online games and MMO terms to get in, play, have fun and get introduced to the multiplayer aspects."

Sorry buddy, your rose colored glasses have blinded you to everything...even the people making the game you are trying to hump agree with ME and what I have stated here. They are in full tilt damage control now trying to undo the last years worth of hype that completely missed its mark which is NOT YOU. lol...

Lol. I guess I missed where they got rid of Cyrodiil and AvA...oh wait they didn't: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/videos/play/3123/E3-2013-Talking-PVP-with-Brian-Wheeler.html

The game hasn't changed in the slightest but you obviously are swallowing all the new hype they're spoon feeding you. Can't say I'm surprised.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by ChloroCat
    Not sure why they didn't just get on the zombie band-wagon. Skyrim: Z

This is full of win!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Lol. I guess I missed where they got rid of Cyrodiil and AvA...oh wait they didn't: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/821/view/videos/play/3123/E3-2013-Talking-PVP-with-Brian-Wheeler.html

The game hasn't changed in the slightest but you obviously are swallowing all the new hype they're spoon feeding you. Can't say I'm surprised.

Where did *I* say the game changed? Didn't, grasping at straws again so you don't have to refute why the COMPANY is pushing it as something different?

Yep, cause you bought into all that old spoon fed hype.

You still haven't done a thing to gain any credibility back, the company itself changed its tune and that only happens for a reason...TES fans weren't buying into it and hated the idea.

Funny thing is, it doesn't MATTER what they do. If they go more MMO, TES fans wont buy into it as THEY SAID THEMSELVES in those interviews. If they go lite MMO, the MMO crowd wont buy into it because it will be a crappy MMO. If they go TES Multiplayer the TES crowd still wont buy into it because of its massive weak DaoC faction/race/zone limitations.

This is what happens when an IP is used by people wanting to make a game based on a different IP that wasn't good enough for a sequel in the first place.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Voqar

At this point I'm wonder why they're making this game.

Hmmm. now that I think, wondering myself. You liste a lot of good points. Mainly agree games in general that would like to please PVP-ers only and at same time PVE-ers ... usually fail and at the end nobody is happy.

Guess they want their part of cake. :-) But they could end in not having any.

Anyway ... I'm interested only and only to PVE, could not care less for PVP then I do. With Swtor expansion that do not have enough quests to level up only with questing and one is pretty fast in to high areas ... I have re-discovered what a joy is group content in Swtor. Wow lost me completely for end game with Cata. Maybe normal and to also hard FP are too easy .. but they are incredibly fun, at least for me.

For sure will try TESO but you made me somehow worried. :-) Must check on internet, just hope it does not have forced PVP, because would left instantly.

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    ZOS even said it themselves one of the main reasons for this games development is to be able to play Elder Scrolls with your friends. /End discussion.

• TheRoseTheRose Member Posts: 4

• McSireMcSire Member Posts: 43
    Double Post Deleted

• TheRoseTheRose Member Posts: 4

I must confess ive never played daoc, im too young.

but my current mmo of choice planetside 2 and its predecessor owe daoc heavily.

lots of people have tried to copy DAOCs PVP with varying degrees of success, but most of them tweak it in a bad way and ruin it.

only SOE have succeeded with both Planetside and planetside 2

mythic themselves tried with warhammer, which although i found fun for a few months, was fattaly flawed by having 2 sides and a city seige mechanic which meant it had to reset

Your game of choice GW2 got most things right, although it was small scale and mean in terms of map size and player capacity. I tried to like it I really did, I did kinda like its PVE, but its PVP didn't hold my interest at all because its just RED vs GREEN vs BLUE and lets all stop for a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake 2 weeks later before we fight another RED vs GREEN vs BLUE battle for two weeks.  

In planetside two I've got a hook, I want to see them Smurfs and Commies die, I want to hear the lamentations of their menfolk.  I hate that guild that killed me over and over and over then did a huge airdrop on the crown 2 months ago.  GW2 lacks that, its fun for a few months, but there's no rivalry.  Things like the Dolyaks and Relics were nice features though, they gave it bit more tactics compared to the below games which failed badly.

Blizzard tried to copy it with wrath of the liche king, but they did some stupid thing where you had to be there at certain times or it wasn't on, isn't the point of this PVP style to always have PVP available and not be sat in a queue?

Funcom and Trion tried it, but on a much smaller scale, even than gw2, but it was ruined by cross factioning, because everyone could be friends in pve

Looking at future MMOs and as a fan of this PVP style, middle of the road if you like, I hate the wow style minigames, but I tried eve and that was too hardcore for me.

ESO will not work because of the everyone on the same server thing.  Plus i think an archage type PVP system would have fitted the lore better.

CU will work, its being made by one of the only two groups of people who've ever managed to pull this PVP style off

WH40K will half work, it will be OK, but its making the same flaw as WAR and GW2, it has a campaign that has to reset.  OK its 3 months, but it shouldn't stop, after all "in the grim dark future of humanity there is only war"

also for fun ------- http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/09/exclusive-interview-arenanets-colin-johanson/

i don't know why you are so worried, people will still play GW2 when TES is released, they will probably be simmilar PVP wise, but heres hoping TES is a little bit better.