Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about Jobs and their roles...

MattTheHGMattTheHG Member Posts: 30

Hey guys! I was wondering if there are people out there who can briefly describe what each job's role is in a group/party. I know there's limited content out right now, but if anyone has a link or any inkling or idea that would be helpful!

I know some job roles are apparent such as the Paladin as the primary tank, White Mage as the primary healer, and Bard probably as ranged DPS, but I was wondering what the other jobs fall into such as Dragoon, Warrior, Monk, Black Mage, Summoner and Scholar.

I've heard you can also mix and match skills from other 2 jobs, which can help you really define your role in parties, but I just want to know what each job specializes in! 

Thanks! And sorry if it's a dumb question, I couldn't find an accurate description of each job's roles on the official website or on Google.. maybe I'm not looking hard enough ):

Comments

• Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399

Dragoon and Monk are melee DPS. Black Mage is caster DPS. Bard is support with some DPS. Warrior is probably DPS as well. Not sure about Scholar or Summoner but they did say they wanted more healers, so Id bet on at least one of them being a healer.

Oh and Monk can OT I believe.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Warrior - tank that is more aoe oriented.
    Monk - melee positional dd.
    Dragoon - melee dd.
    Summoner - ranged magic dd and pets serve different roles (tank, dd, etc).
    Scholar - more of an aoe group healer that has a fairy that changes roles.
  • HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Warrior - Tank (offensive)

Paladin - Tank (defensive)

Monk - DPS

Dragoon - DPS

White Mage - Healer/Support

Scholar - Healer/Support (pet)

Black Mage - Ranged DPS

Summoner - Ranged DPS/Support (pet)

Bard - Ranged DPS/Support

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • MattTheHGMattTheHG Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by Kayo83

Dragoon and Monk are melee DPS. Black Mage is caster DPS. Bard is support with some DPS. Warrior is probably DPS as well. Not sure about Scholar or Summoner but they did say they wanted more healers, so Id bet on at least one of them being a healer.

Oh and Monk can OT I believe.

Originally posted by Waldoe
    Warrior - tank that is more aoe oriented. Monk - melee positional dd. Dragoon - melee dd. Summoner - ranged magic dd and pets serve different roles (tank, dd, etc). Scholar - more of an aoe group healer that has a fairy that changes roles.

Thanks you guys! Pretty helpful. I just wish they can show us an example skill tree or list of unique skills that they have to give us a more in-depth preview of what they are like. Guess I just have to wait until it is released to find out! ):

Thanks to Hyanmen too

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    There's no skill tree. You can open your menus though and see what abilities you get at what levels. I didn't write them down otherwise I would share that with you know. As far as I know you can unlock leveling other classes starting at 10 doing your main quest line. The game is pretty epic im not going to lie. Too bad I start classes the day after release going to be full time student and full time job....... not sure if im going to have time for this game=( which makes me sad
    Originally posted by Carnicide
    There's no skill tree. You can open your menus though and see what abilities you get at what levels. I didn't write them down otherwise I would share that with you know. As far as I know you can unlock leveling other classes starting at 10 doing your main quest line. The game is pretty epic im not going to lie. Too bad I start classes the day after release going to be full time student and full time job....... not sure if im going to have time for this game=( which makes me sad

Ooh. I see. I knew that you can mix and match skills with all the other classes which is more solo/duo-orient.. and that jobs were more specific, and group-oriented. It's pretty interesting since, especially haven't played FFXI, it's still a fairly new concept to me. I like the whole flexibility of it, and there seems to be no "which class/job is better?" etc. since you can essentially be all of them, and each job has their own unique role in a fight.

But about your situation, that sucks man! I'm sure you can find some free time.. like an hour or two if you have some down time. But Keep at it! You'll graduate soon! I just graduated last month and I really have nothing to do at the moment since I'm studying for my licensure exam for nursing and can't find a job yet until I get that license.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Too bad dragoons dont have dragon pets in this one
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Too bad dragoons dont have dragon pets in this one

Man.. if Dragoons had dragon-mounts... GG.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by MattTheHG
    Originally posted by Carnicide

Ooh. I see. I knew that you can mix and match skills with all the other classes which is more solo/duo-orient.. and that jobs were more specific, and group-oriented. It's pretty interesting since, especially haven't played FFXI, it's still a fairly new concept to me. I like the whole flexibility of it, and there seems to be no "which class/job is better?" etc. since you can essentially be all of them, and each job has their own unique role in a fight.

But about your situation, that sucks man! I'm sure you can find some free time.. like an hour or two if you have some down time. But Keep at it! You'll graduate soon! I just graduated last month and I really have nothing to do at the moment since I'm studying for my licensure exam for nursing and can't find a job yet until I get that license.

Yeah Thanks, I'm working on graduating it just seems to take forever!!! lol 

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    From a lore standpoint in ARR Dragoons came about from the constant conflict between man and dragon to hunt and kill dragons, so doesn't really fit to have dragon pets.
  • superpatasuperpata Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Can Archers be used as dpsers? 
    Originally posted by superpata
    Can Archers be used as dpsers? 

That is their main role until they becomes Bards, how much dps will a Bard do compared to pure dps? No one knows.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Surprisingly not much information to go on, ...

it is said that when you change weapons, you change jobs, but can this be done in combat?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

it is said that when you change weapons, you change jobs, but can this be done in combat?

Don't believe so. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

To supplement what has already be written, here is a site that has some of the job abilities.

http://xivdb.com/

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
    Originally posted by striderbob
    From a lore standpoint in ARR Dragoons came about from the constant conflict between man and dragon to hunt and kill dragons, so doesn't really fit to have dragon pets.

lore can be modified as it progresses like in the future they could say that dragoons have found ways to tame lesser dragons and make more use out of them instead of killing them.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by tkreep

lore can be modified as it progresses like in the future they could say that dragoons have found ways to tame lesser dragons and make more use out of them instead of killing them.

It's unlikely they'll turn a non-pet class into a pet class as there are many who don't like pets and would not enjoy having a favourite class changed in such a way.

The reason Dragoon made it into the game without pets is because 1.0 couldn't support them (or the devs were lazy, take your pick). ARR can and does support them which is why we're now getting Arcanist, Summoner and Scholar, but it is highly unlikely they'll ever make such a fundamental change to the Dragoon now that it has established itself without a pet.

You cannot, when you switch classes there is a long cooldown on your abilities. Even when swapping cross-class abilities.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

You cannot, when you switch classes there is a long cooldown on your abilities. Even when swapping cross-class abilities.

Well, it would have been over the top anyway

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692
    Omg if dragoon gets a pet I'm going to have to kill some devs.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Originally posted by skyexile

like this?

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by skyexile

1,000 x This.

The ONE problem I had with FFXI was the creation and addition of "loljobs".

When you create a job (Let's use DRG in ffxi as an example) to serve a role, you have the make sure it can actually SERVE that role.  Otherwise you end up with multiple jobs that get no endgame use or end up being EXTREMELY situational like Blue Mage was.

What happens is (in the case of drg) the developer says "We have this new class, they are a melee DPS class, but they have this pet that can use breath attacks and heal.  So, we can't have them being OVER powered, so they won't do as much damage as say....a warrior.  They have their pet though, so it should even out."  Thing is....that pet gets killed pretty easily with endgame content, so you end up with an "loljob".  Why use that DRG when you can just invite a WAR, or a RNG (if you're looking to stick with piercing damage)?  Granted, this did not just apply to DRG.  THF, DRK, PUP, and others.

TL;DR Version:  Rather have fewer classes than pointless ones.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Kajidourden
    Originally posted by skyexile Omg if dragoon gets a pet I'm going to have to kill some devs.
    1,000 x This.

The ONE problem I had with FFXI was the creation and addition of "loljobs".

When you create a job (Let's use DRG in ffxi as an example) to serve a role, you have the make sure it can actually SERVE that role.  Otherwise you end up with multiple jobs that get no endgame use or end up being EXTREMELY situational like Blue Mage was.

What happens is (in the case of drg) the developer says "We have this new class, they are a melee DPS class, but they have this pet that can use breath attacks and heal.  So, we can't have them being OVER powered, so they won't do as much damage as say....a warrior.  They have their pet though, so it should even out."  Thing is....that pet gets killed pretty easily with endgame content, so you end up with an "loljob".  Why use that DRG when you can just invite a WAR, or a RNG (if you're looking to stick with piercing damage)?  Granted, this did not just apply to DRG.  THF, DRK, PUP, and others.

TL;DR Version:  Rather have fewer classes than pointless ones.

yea prettymuch my reasoning for not liking pets.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Well... I want a dragon as a mount.. not as a pet. 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by MattTheHG
    Well... I want a dragon as a mount.. not as a pet. 

Wouldn't make much sense considering this is supposed to be their lore:

"Of all the things that are symbolic of the nation of Ishgard, few are more recognized than the dragoon. Born amidst the timeless conflict between men and dragons, these lance-wielding knights have developed an aerial style of combat, that they might better pierce the scaled hides of their mortal foes.

Taking to the firmament as though it were an extension of the land, they descend upon the enemy with every onze of their bodies behind the blow. It is this penetrative power that characterizes the dragoon."