Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeons! Lots n Loooots of DUNGEONS!

ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I am an avid fan of dungeons. Challenging, risky content locked away with the promise of some sweet rewards upon completion just tickles all the right spots for me. Running around the world passing quest tickets around as you watch the cutscenes and get into the lore of whats going on in the world is fine and all, but for me, DUNGEONS is where its at.

And this game has it by the bucketload.

By level 18 or so i'd already run through 3 or 4 dungeons, and i just gotta say i am in love. Sure, they were newbie dungeons, not too challenging or anything, but that feeling was still there for me. I picked up some nice tank gear and a weapon or two, and all was well in the world.

Word is for launch there's supposed to be an ungodly amount of dungeons?

Very pleased with what i've sank my teeth into so far, can't wait to dig in further during the next phase of beta 3.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Comments

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Toxia

I am an avid fan of dungeons. Challenging, risky content locked away with the promise of some sweet rewards upon completion just tickles all the right spots for me. Running around the world passing quest tickets around as you watch the cutscenes and get into the lore of whats going on in the world is fine and all, but for me, DUNGEONS is where its at.

By level 18 or so i'd already run through 3 or 4 dungeons, and i just gotta say i am in love. Sure, they were newbie dungeons, not too challenging or anything, but that feeling was still there for me. I picked up some nice tank gear and a weapon or two, and all was well in the world.

Very pleased with what i've sank my teeth into so far, can't wait to dig in further during the next phase of beta 3.

19 instances was the last count I heard for launch.  Not really ungodly, but not paultry and I'm sure they will add more.  This doesn't include primals either (Titan, Leviathon, Ramuh, Garuda, Moogle King, and Ifrit at launch then Shiva will be next added) which are great single group content all on their own.  Or open world dungeons like the beastman strongholds.

Or the two raid zones Labyrinth of Bahamut, and Crystal Tower and their raids and numerous encounters.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Are primals done through dungeon finder?
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Cant wait :)

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

the dev team plans to roll out new content every 2-3 months and yoshida said they already have enough content planned to last them through 3 patches as well as stuff currently being developed for the future.

good interview here: http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/06/e3-2013-final-fantasy-xiv-developer-interview/

• rhavokrhavok Member Posts: 117
    If this gets the same support that FFXI has gotten over the years we will have many expansions too.
  • tommygunzIItommygunzII Member Posts: 321
    It's a beautiful thing, personally I can barely wait. Very much looking forward to release.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Are there open world dungeons in this game, or are they all instanced?  Combination of both?

Serious question, not trolling.  (Funny that this disclaimer may be necessary on this forum, lol.)

Originally posted by redcapp

Are there open world dungeons in this game, or are they all instanced?  Combination of both?

Serious question, not trolling.  (Funny that this disclaimer may be necessary on this forum, lol.)

Beastman and Garlean strongholds can be considered open world dungeons, and there may be others.  However they work within the FATE system (no strict party claim in open world).

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    I wish they would put notorious monsters from final fantasy 11 with rare drops
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by tkreep

They did have them in 1.0 .  Can't speak on ARR beta, but my instinct is that if there are no NMs in beta it's because of the fact that it is in fact beta.  Granted...they were mostly underwhelming, with the rewards being nearly pointless once the materia system came about.  The best gear was obtained through the various events you could participate in or from Grand company quests/points (of which there were several ways to obtain).

To make a good comaprison to ffxi, it was like post TOaU.  Although NMs still posessed amazing gear (not so much in 1.0), the stuff that was attainable through a points/pomotion/quest system like being a mercenary in Aht Urghan were in some cases better, or at least close enough to be considered an equivalent piece of gear.

• redcloud16redcloud16 Member UncommonPosts: 220

Many NMs appear as FATE bosses, though the low level ones currently do not drop any gear to speak of. Just EXP and Gil. And Seals if you are enrolled in a Grand Company. 

Perhaps the higher level FATEs will have gear drops, perhaps

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

19 dungeons at launch is quite awesome ^^
    Primals are some kind of Fate's but MUCH harder / correct ?

Naoki Yoshida.....this man deserves a medal for saving Final Fantasy :)

Originally posted by Mothanos

Negative.  Primals are actually much like they were in ffxi.  There are certain spots nearby or within the area of the beastmen strongholds that you enter in order to fight them.  The fight itself is an instanced battleground with a theme of the primal.  

As you progressed through the grand company quests in 1.0 you gained access to these areas.  Much like the tuning forks that were used in ffxi at the crystals in order to challenge a primal, the difference being that there was an npc whom would provide a consumable key item that was used each time you entered the battleground.

Originally posted by Kajidourden

Negative.  Primals are actually much like they were in ffxi.  There are certain spots nearby or within the area of the beastmen strongholds that you enter in order to fight them.  The fight itself is an instanced battleground with a theme of the primal.  

As you progressed through the grand company quests in 1.0 you gained access to these areas.  Much like the tuning forks that were used in ffxi at the crystals in order to challenge a primal, the difference being that there was an npc whom would provide a consumable key item that was used each time you entered the battleground.

Caveat: Information based on version 1.0

Anyone from ARR that know anything different?

• MagikrorriMMagikrorriM Member UncommonPosts: 223

In AAR Primal battle quests are gotten through the main story line quest. The main story line quest chain also includes the dungeons.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I think I read something about them being timed. If so, does anyone know why? RPGs should be a bit strategic and taken slowly to me.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    I think I read something about them being timed. If so, does anyone know why? RPGs should be a bit strategic and taken slowly to me.

The dungeons are designed to be completed in 30-45 minutes.  They give you 90 minutes to finish....

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by Toxia

19 instances was the last count I heard for launch.  Not really ungodly, but not paultry and I'm sure they will add more.  This doesn't include primals either (Titan, Leviathon, Ramuh, Garuda, Moogle King, and Ifrit at launch then Shiva will be next added) which are great single group content all on their own.  Or open world dungeons like the beastman strongholds.

Or the two raid zones Labyrinth of Bahamut, and Crystal Tower and their raids and numerous encounters.

Well done both of you. In your posts, you both managed to get me excited about ARR. Not sure why. All I did in my beta is play with the controls, test boundries and some basic mechanics. I was happy with those and I guess I failed to rememebr that this will have lots of content as well.....with my ESO hopes flickering I may have to put some more focus on this one!!

Originally posted by MagikrorriM

In AAR Primal battle quests are gotten through the main story line quest. The main story line quest chain also includes the dungeons.

This goes back to my question, are primal battles done through or can they be done through the dungeon finder, or whatever it s called in FFXIV?

Originally posted by Soki123

This goes back to my question, are primal battles done through or can they be done through the dungeon finder, or whatever it s called in FFXIV?

We don't know, it hasn't been confirmed either way yet.  I'd assume so though as they are instanced content, so once you complete the quest for it and visit the primal yourself within the beastman stronghold it should unlock it on the duty finder.  No one is 50 yet in beta, and I'm not even sure if any level 50 content will be included in beta 3 due to the xp cap being set at 35 still (though transferred characters will retain their level if they are higher).

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Is the first dungeon only available at lvl19ish? I got to lvl13 and was never sent into anything that required party play. 

We don't know, it hasn't been confirmed either way yet.  I'd assume so though as they are instanced content, so once you complete the quest for it and visit the primal yourself within the beastman stronghold it should unlock it on the duty finder.  No one is 50 yet in beta, and I'm not even sure if any level 50 content will be included in beta 3 due to the xp cap being set at 35 still (though transferred characters will retain their level if they are higher).

Ah, thanks, wasn t aware they were lvl 50. 

Ah, thanks, wasn t aware they were lvl 50. 

There are at least two versions of every primal.  One which is a part of the main storyline, and one which is an endgame encounter that drops armor/weapons styled after that primal.  The main storyline primals occur at different levels and are for light parties of 4 people much like the leveling dungeons (ifrit is like lvl 30-35 I think), but then there is another version of Ifrit at 50 that you do with 8 people. 

The endgame version has some of the same mechanics as the earlier fight, but a lot more and is generally much more difficult and usually takes most people a while to learn/beat.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by redcloud16

Many NMs appear as FATE bosses, though the low level ones currently do not drop any gear to speak of. Just EXP and Gil. And Seals if you are enrolled in a Grand Company. 

Perhaps the higher level FATEs will have gear drops, perhaps

I know but the point is to have some monsters be a rare spawn and not always spawned in the same location.  And it takes the point away of a notorious monster when everyone can attack it and get a reward out of it.  Im saying keep the fates but put separate monsters in the form of final fantasy 11 NMs for higher degree of challenge and competition between players hunting the monsters if the players wish to pursue it. 

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222
    After getting my hands on the Beta I really can't wait to play this game. I only wish my brother wasn't so racist against the Japanese art style. He literally hates the game because of all the cute themes and characters in the game. He likes a darker look something like Warhammer. Too bad the art design didn't have a more mature look to it. Oh well guess I'll be the only one playing from my family lol