Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Elder Scrolls Online: ESO at E3 2013

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Elder Scrolls Online is poised as one of the next "big games" to hit live service as 2013 rolls along. During last week's E3 convention, we check out the latest ESO demo build for our exclusive preview. See what we discovered before heading to the comments to chat.

Elder Scrolls Online’s E3 was a mixed bag of sorts: on one hand, they announced their plans to bring the game to the Xbox One and Playstation 4 (great news for their parent company’s earnings no doubt).  But they also announced plans to delay the launch of all three platforms (including PC) into Spring of 2014. The reason cited by everyone at Zenimax Online is fervently that the decision is not tied to the console development and rather than beta feedback has proven to the team that they need to spend time honing everything up to make sure ESO is the best possible Elder Scrolls game it can be.  Our interviews with Paul Sage and Brian Wheeler echo this sentiment, as it seems the game is still focusing on nailing down some of its core systems, and that a fall/winter release for this year simply was off the table. Some folks might balk at the idea of ESO porting to the major consoles, but I for one am just glad the PC UI was in place before the decision was made.  We did get the chance to play ESO while on the show floor, and as it’s been awhile since I had my playtest back in October of 2012, here’s how I think the game’s coming along.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Elder Scrolls Online: ESO at E3 2013.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    I like the idea of ESO, but this could turn out to be a trainwreck. ES fans and mmo players together. Not that you cant be both, but right off the bat I know how critical mmo players are and you can bet single player rpg fans are fans of ES so they will want to give this game a go.

It will be interesting to see if its to mmo and not enough ES or to ES and not enough mmo.

I feel like mentioning buy to play really plays into attracting ES fans because thats what they are used to without exceptions. I hope it is buy to play but we will see.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by Battlerock
    I like the idea of ESO, but this could turn out to be a trainwreck. ES fans and mmo players together. Not that you cant be both, but right off the bat I know how critical mmo players are and you can bet single player rpg fans are fans of ES so they will want to give this game a go.

It will be interesting to see if its to mmo and not enough ES or to ES and not enough mmo.

I feel like mentioning buy to play really plays into attracting ES fans because thats what they are used to without exceptions. I hope it is buy to play but we will see.

Yea sure! Lol what ever...

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Archfage yea sure! Only game that have chance to dethrone wow is ESO. Cmone guys be realistic! Nobody cares about Everwhateverquest or some blackwhatever or wildgirlsonsomestrangecartoonplanet. ESO is the only one left with charismatic lore, rest is just waste op money. DESTINY PS4, ESO PC!  Forget about the rest
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258

"I for one believe that Elder Scrolls Online’s coming to the Xbox and Playstation is a strong sign that the game will likely be Buy-to-Play in the vein of Guild Wars 2"

Very good point and i certainly hope so. I'm fine with the delay. There are good mmos coming out like WS, AA and EQN. We'll be busy with those and maybe more while they take their time to make the best online TES possible (a wish ofc.)

Just a pet peeve; i wish they'd call it TESO instead of ESO since it's always been called TES games y'know. And i hope they will change those horrible fonts.

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    Archfage yea sure! Only game that have chance to dethrone wow is ESO. Cmone guys be realistic! Nobody cares about Everwhateverquest or some blackwhatever or wildgirlsonsomestrangecartoonplanet. ESO is the only one left with charismatic lore, rest is just waste op money. DESTINY PS4, ESO PC!  Forget about the rest

U crazy, man U crazy. That was a rant. lol

My hope for ESO atm is a flicker in a once smoldering pit of kickass.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Homing arrows and fireballs, and unlimited ammo, what will they do next?
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Bill - "One final thing to note: While Final Fantasy XIV may very well have a subscription on the Playstation, I for one believe that Elder Scrolls Online’s coming to the Xbox and Playstation is a strong sign that the game will likely be Buy-to-Play in the vein of Guild Wars 2 without a subscription and funded by additional micro-transactions after you buy the box.  I’m taking bets now, any takers?"

Do you think it will be playable without PS's and X-Box's online sub (X-Box Live! and whatever Sony has in place)?  That seems to be a little overkill: Pay Sony/MS AND TES:O.  I don't think I'll take that bet, but who knows?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030

Does this post make sense to anyone?

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    @Gwapo - yes, what the writer is trying to say is that he is a #&$^in halfwit and wanted to express that. I dont think it could have been done any better.
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

No, these are obviously the ramblings of a hamster-brain.

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Bill - "One final thing to note: While Final Fantasy XIV may very well have a subscription on the Playstation, I for one believe that Elder Scrolls Online’s coming to the Xbox and Playstation is a strong sign that the game will likely be Buy-to-Play in the vein of Guild Wars 2 without a subscription and funded by additional micro-transactions after you buy the box.  I’m taking bets now, any takers?"

Do you think it will be playable without PS's and X-Box's online sub (X-Box Live! and whatever Sony has in place)?  That seems to be a little overkill: Pay Sony/MS AND TES:O.  I don't think I'll take that bet, but who knows?

I'm betting ESO will be B2P too and if FF14 has a sub on consoles and the consoles have a monthly sub for online play then FF14 has a grim future.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

kinda "stupid"they dint add arrows in the game, there is no logic reason not to incl arrows the excuse that some players want to use the bow all the time is not legit one, in morrowind, oblivion and skyrim I had a char that only used bows and never ever i had a lack of arrows. if you let npc's sell basic arrows and players make elemental arrows it would all work perfectly mmo or not.  

its even a mist opportunity to add a full spectrum of elemental resistance armor and dmg weapons in the game increasing the meta game play. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Actually yes;

(people talk about) Archage (being the next big thing) yeah sure! (The) only game that will have a chance to dethrone WoW is ESO. come on guys, be realistic! Nobody cares about "Everwhateverquest" (EQ NEXT) or some blackwhatever (Black Desert) or wildgirlsonsomestrangecartoonplanet (Wild Star).

ESO is the only one left with charismatic lore; the rest is just a waste of money.

Destiny on playstation 4 and ESO on the PC. Forget about the rest.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

No, these are obviously the ramblings of a hamster-brain.

No way! He's from Tesla's village, he must be totally super smart!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by Eladi

kinda "stupid"they dint add arrows in the game, there is no logic reason not to incl arrows the excuse that some players want to use the bow all the time is not legit one, in morrowind, oblivion and skyrim I had a char that only used bows and never ever i had a lack of arrows. if you let npc's sell basic arrows and players make elemental arrows it would all work perfectly mmo or not.  

its even a mist opportunity to add a full spectrum of elemental resistance armor and dmg weapons in the game increasing the meta game play. 

Like you I was deeply disappointed at the lack of  bow  and arrow crafting. The arrow weight  excuse is bogus.You can make them stack and weigh next to nothing.People who know and love archers love to make their bows and arrows.It's part of the whole  of what being a self reliant outdoorsman.

I still think being "forced" to do other things in the game(first person,other game platforms etc) axed this feature.

For me things like this and an ongoing series of others have signifigantly reduced my excitement over this game.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Sony is letting publishers choose if their games have an "online pass" or if they require PSN+ subscription on the PS4 - just like on PS3.

On PS3 - FFXIV:ARR is doing an online pass - as in no fee from Sony and a sub to SE.

It wouldn't make sense if they didn't do the same for PS4 version next year.

Microsoft has been notoriously opposed (in all but one case really) to allow cross-platform play between their network and PC/PSN.

If they plan to have ANY success with TESO on the Xbox One - they are going to have to allow cross platform play. This leads me to believe that they will require Xbox live gold or PSN+ to play, and as such will use a B2P model with some micro-transactions similar to how Defiance is handled?

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Actually yes;

(people talk about) Archage (being the next big thing) yeah sure! (The) only game that will have a chance to dethrone WoW is ESO. come on guys, be realistic! Nobody cares about "Everwhateverquest" (EQ NEXT) or some blackwhatever (Black Desert) or wildgirlsonsomestrangecartoonplanet (Wild Star).

ESO is the only one left with charismatic lore; the rest is just a waste of money.

Destiny on playstation 4 and ESO on the PC. Forget about the rest.

Hehe thanks!  I now label you expert translator!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Like you I was deeply disappointed at the lack of  bow  and arrow crafting. The arrow weight  excuse is bogus.You can make them stack and weigh next to nothing.People who know and love archers love to make their bows and arrows.It's part of the whole  of what being a self reliant outdoorsman.

I still think being "forced" to do other things in the game(first person,other game platforms etc) axed this feature.

For me things like this and an ongoing series of others have signifigantly reduced my excitement over this game.

Speak for yourself, as an avid fan of Archery in an MMO I always hated the upkeep required with having to have a pseudo-crafting profession to be able to do something that every other weapon type did for free. Now having a graphical display like a quiver on your back is fine but having to micro and organize your inventory because of having a realistic system is not something I consider fun.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Speak for yourself, as an avid fan of Archery in an MMO I always hated the upkeep required with having to have a pseudo-crafting profession to be able to do something that every other weapon type did for free. Now having a graphical display like a quiver on your back is fine but having to micro and organize your inventory because of having a realistic system is not something I consider fun.

I'm with you on that one. I put managing arrows in the inventory right up there with needing to eat food and drink water...an annoyance. Some people love those extra "realism" details. I don't. I tend to stay away from bows in games that have the extra overhead.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

You sound like your trying to convince yourself that this will be good or am I wrong here? lol

I have heavy doubts for ESO. I think they won't be able to do enough to satisfy MMO players and original TES players at the same time.

I could be wrong and we will all see in beta but I can't help but have the feeling something is terribly wrong under the hood.

Also if they don't have CORE features locked down by now. I don't think waiting til spring next year is going to help that. MMOs take years to develop. The foundation of the game should be done by now.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

But then you would get people complaining about , how its not fair that their inventory space has to be taken up by ammo......old argument no ones going to win. it is what it is. And as they have always stated , they are trying to capture the SP aspects of ESO as best as posible in a MP game, they have been straying away from the word MMO, and i dont blame them. 

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    Homing arrows and fireballs, and unlimited ammo, what will they do next?

Wait? Are you serious? Homing arrows? FFS....

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by zaylin
     they are trying to capture the SP aspects of ESO as best as posible in a MP game, they have been straying away from the word MMO, and i dont blame them. 

Don't follow your logic here. Yeah, they've been downplaying the MMO aspect...and yet this 'feature' is a purely MMO construct...because complaining about 'inventory' and 'added effort' by some players.

• HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Actually, shared resource spawns were another big mistake on GW2's part. Like many of their decisions, it disadvantages a certain player type: the dedicated explorer.

When resources are exclusive, the "hardcore" map explorer has an advantage in the competition to harvest them. When they aren't exclusive, that knowledge doesn't mean as much. Chalk one up for the "casuals".

Also, according to the Tamriel Foundry, ZOS has already stated resources are exclusive, not shared.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

• TheRoseTheRose Member Posts: 4
    I like shared resource spawns, you obviously never played wow with its millions of robot hunters running around harvesting all the best mining and plant gathering spots.

Looking forwards to eso, but with some reservations about community due to this 1 big server thing. It's nice in traditional server setups to find the sever that's right for you.