Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFG: F2P, open world, challenging

seridurseridur Member UncommonPosts: 25

A bit more about the game I'm looking for:

-F2P is preferred for now. I might spend some money but don't want a game where f2p is very restrictive. 

-Should have an open, big enough, immersive world where exploration is rewarded. Not just random areas with wandering monsters to grind.

-The game is preferably not too easy

-It would mostly played in solo or duo with gf.

-theme: fantasy prefered, but could be sci-fi too. (just not something childish like pokemon)

-Sandbox elements are welcome (player driven economy, crafting, free to choose paths etc)

-PvP is nice to have, but should not be as savage as Darkfall for example.. my gf wouldn't like it :).

-graphic is not that important

-the game should be alive (not 10-20 ppl and only at weekends)

IWhich one do you think would work for me? (Aion, Tera, Vanguard, etc. just a few titles come to my mind. Anything else?)

thx

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Vanguard is the only open world mmo on that list, it has no instancing and is a vast world. It's not your typical easy mode and more of a throw back to yesterdays mmo's. The game has no PVP though but it has open world housing, ship building, robust crafting system and diplomacy.

15 classes, 18 if you separate the three shaman classes plus 19 races. Vast dungeons that cove multiple levels and can take days to complete, dungeons within dungeons and these are group dungeons i'm talking about.

At the very least it's worth a try, the game has a few bugs but nothing game breaking.

• BreakingeBreakinge Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I don't think you will like TERA since it has nothing of the things you mentioned. Maybe AION will be fun, I played it for some time few months ago, it was a nice time killer. Nothing I could see myself play over a longer period of time. ( More than 2 months, I don't get how people can play 1 game for years ) 
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    You should probably look into Vanguard and, if you don't mind B2P, Guild Wars 2.
  • seridurseridur Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Thx for the replies so far, but realyl that didn't mean to be  a list, just a few names out of my head. I know there are at least 100 f2p mmo on the market at the moment.
  • VaporsVapors Member UncommonPosts: 407

Try Age of Conan, got some good combat and pvp bonus. It does not give you rewards for exploring, but the areas are mostly very nice designed and actually have one of the best aesthetics comparing to other games. Means you will explore some areas just for fun.

The only negative point on their f2p model is the area restriction, at max level you can't visit the expansion area which is very important.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I'd also suggest Vanguard. F2P, open world, and challenging. Great story to some of the races, too.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DraGzielDraGziel Member UncommonPosts: 67
    I will also recommend Age of Conan. Other games are Aion, Tera, and Rift. Rift is f2p now, HUGE WORLD, many classes, good graphics, storyline, etc
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Fallen Earth would be a good choice for what you are looking for.....It has a really cool world and is fairly challenging...Also plays well for a duo.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    besides vanguard maybe try ryzom too, tho it has i woudl say even less players then vanguard
  • DirkinDirkin Member Posts: 78

You definitely need to check out Vanguard. It has 100% of what you said you're looking for. And the game is even more fun when you play with a partner.

It's still not the most polished game out, but it does quite well now, and the population is not as small as most people think either.

And if you do, feel free to look me up, I'm always happy to help out. Same name as here.