Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Changing WvW

2»

Comments

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

All this talk about zerg this and zerg that is getting really annoying.

We are talking about server versus server not 5 leet crew versus 5 leet crew here, this is server armies doing battles, didn't US and their allies zerged Iraq?, yes they did armies are zerges and should be treated as that end of discussion.

If you don't like zerge/armies roaming the map then go play SPVP or some other game that has 12-12 battlezones or whatever.

Is WvWvW perfect?, no, It's always room for improvments and tweaks.

This is server wars and in wars there are armies not 5 man leet crews doing battle against another 5 man leet crew.

Even if you zerg haters don't see it but there are tactics involved.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    I tried WvsW and when I realised it was just a huge  zerg quit because it's not really fun at all. It takes no strategy to run in a huge 30+50 man/woman group. It felt rather boring to me. 

Smile

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by Torgrim

We are talking about server versus server not 5 leet crew versus 5 leet crew here, this is server armies doing battles, didn't US and their allies zerged Iraq?, yes they did armies are zerges and should be treated as that end of discussion.

If you don't like zerge/armies roaming the map then go play SPVP or some other game that has 12-12 battlezones or whatever.

This is server wars and in wars there are armies not 5 man leet crews doing battle against another 5 man leet crew.

I think your misunderstanding what zerging actually means and what it entails. Zergs usually storm keeps without the thought of defending it afterwards, e.g. flipping points. So I wouldn't sugarcoat the "zerg". ;)

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

To late Anet, you have neglected WvW from start and all the good guilds already left for better pastures.

You promised to be on the ball before release, only to see you havent done hack shit for a year for the WvW community.

To little to late, many good mmo's are comming out and you just happend to piss of many players.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

if they bring the choppers and the other machines we saw in the personal story, like airships then we will see the zergs to tear..

choppers will be good for carrying 5member groups, and airships ideal as air fortress moving slowly and carrying bigger armies, also if there was a tool for the commander to manipulate its squad, and form the groups inside so there will be an order of function, if you see GvG in WvW, you will realise that this which looks zerg is not a zerg but a whole formation with roles and rotations ..!

finally i would like to see to be removed you can walk through other players .. it suck it lacks of immersion and it generates zergs ...

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I want space ships, aliens and robots or I quit!
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    The GW2 forums are filled with thousands of ways to improve WvW. Allt he Devs have to do is listen.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by zaylin
    Originally posted by Alders
    Discouraging players from running around keep to keep in zergs and constantly flipping points should be the main focus and should have been from the start.

Ya a zerg here and there is ok, but i stopped playing WvW because to me PvP is more than Zerging. And of late most PvP in games involves that way to much. 

But that is what happens when you take out the trinity and make everyone an OP damage dealer that can heal themselves..... There is no strategy to that type of gameplay.

• Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I disagree with the security in numbers. Gate of Madness and Devonas Rest are against huge Sorrows Furnace zergs but we dont back down and they are losing. On occasion we get big zergs up but usually only to take opposing keeps. GoM is stubborn as hell and will run the map on any chance of revenge kills lol. We are sandbags. We are zombies that keep coming back.
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    The GW2 forums are filled with thousands of ways to improve WvW. Allt he Devs have to do is listen.

Anet listen once to the community and did you know what they did after they listen to the community?

They put in the hearts and made the game more solo friendly.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

The greatest faction vs faction game ever made has been out for 11 years...DAOC. Studying its strengths and seeing where there is room for improvement could have been done by Arenanet.It appears they only did a superficial look.

My guess is they took their 15 minute... 5 vs 5 pvp game and just blew the size to its current  WvW size...made some keeps and thought they were done.

Any time spent learning why DAOC is still around after 11 years would have generated a far better WvW game.

Not understanding the experience and sophistication of your player base consistently causes game company's to run into this kind of problem.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Take the cap off AoE damage.  Zergs get blown to hell.

Steam: Neph

Originally posted by 1vald2

I think your misunderstanding what zerging actually means and what it entails. Zergs usually storm keeps without the thought of defending it afterwards, e.g. flipping points. So I wouldn't sugarcoat the "zerg". ;)

I haven't missunderstood anything while reading these boards, zerg haters just are just that, hate zerg, what of it if the zerg don't defend what they cap, if they do, is it not a zerg anymore?

In your book a zerg is not a zerg anymore if they  let some of the players stay behind to defend what they cap?

Really I don't understand some people, we are having server versus server battles with plenty of people on both side and what do we read on these boards?

Duh zergers sucks, much better with elite force mumbo jumbo thinking

Or duh zerges sucks because I cant own them

Or duh zerges sucks because thats the new cool thing to write on boards.

You see what will happends when 2 servers with a PVP map that can contain 200+ people?

As I wrote before WvWvW could use some tweaking but writing dumb shit about zerging is the same thing as writing there are to many players in WoW battleground.

I'm not sure how much you have been playing GW2 WvWvW but zerg is not the holy trinity of server warfare, there are tactics involved, but I guess you have your zerg glasses on huh?

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Considering WvW was THE selling point of the game doesn't that make GW2 as much of a fail as SWTOR?

"THE" as in SINGULAR?

No it wasn't.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603
    Discouraging players from running around keep to keep in zergs and constantly flipping points should be the main focus and should have been from the start.

Ya a zerg here and there is ok, but i stopped playing WvW because to me PvP is more than Zerging. And of late most PvP in games involves that way to much. 

But that is what happens when you take out the trinity and make everyone an OP damage dealer that can heal themselves..... There is no strategy to that type of gameplay.

^Have to agree. One of the reasons that DAOC was as good as it was because it had group dynamic.

You needed the other classes to do their individual thing, everyone couldn't do everything.

It was specialized from Tanks, Healers, Stealthers and Crowd Control, everyone pitched in for the success of the group.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

As long as i have to wait in queue every time i join WvW they need not fix anything - rather annoy some people off ^^

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Riigghhht,.....because in trinity based games with PVP, the tank will taunt the enemy players who would be forced to beat on him for 6 seconds.  Meanwhile the DPS is steadily backstabbing the enemy without any worries unless he really makes the enemy player mad.  But if that happens he just kicks the enemy player in the junk who then immediately refocuses his agro on the tank unless the tank taunted him again already.  Meanwhile the healer is hitting his heal button for the tank every 5 seconds or so.

Does that sound about right?  Of course not.  Trinity does not equal strategy in PVP nor does it's mechanics really work in PVP anyways.  The trinity was made for PVE.  EA almost had it right in WAR, but of course the game as a whole ultimately failed.   Besides, if everyone is an OP damage dealer like you claim, then it's up to skill and strategy to see who wins.  I see it every day in WvW because I actually play the game specifically for WvW.   Also, pretty much every other game I played had healing potions in PVP, so what's your issue with people healing themselves again?  They can in other games too.

Look I don't care if you don't like the game, but just because YOU can't figure out strategy in the game doesn't mean it isn't there.  It just means YOU can't figure out the strategy.  There is always WoW arena if you want trinity in your PVP.  The rest of us will stick with WvW thank you.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    Originally posted by 1vald2

I haven't missunderstood anything while reading these boards, zerg haters just are just that, hate zerg, what of it if the zerg don't defend what they cap, if they do, is it not a zerg anymore?

In your book a zerg is not a zerg anymore if they  let some of the players stay behind to defend what they cap?

Really I don't understand some people, we are having server versus server battles with plenty of people on both side and what do we read on these boards?

Duh zergers sucks, much better with elite force mumbo jumbo thinking

Or duh zerges sucks because I cant own them

Or duh zerges sucks because thats the new cool thing to write on boards.

You see what will happends when 2 servers with a PVP map that can contain 200+ people?

As I wrote before WvWvW could use some tweaking but writing dumb shit about zerging is the same thing as writing there are to many players in WoW battleground.

I'm not sure how much you have been playing GW2 WvWvW but zerg is not the holy trinity of server warfare, there are tactics involved, but I guess you have your zerg glasses on huh?

For me you lost me on your argument when you started to use the word leet. A very overused word with no real meaning. Is it "leet" to want to use your brain, tactics and strategy in a pvp game? The whole point of a true zerg is no one has to think. You just follow the herd mashing your best dmg buttons on the closest opponent. when you die you rezz at the nearest point - run back to the herd and repeat until you die again and again and again and again. The side with the most numbers eventually wins. That is the essence of zerg and it gets boring real fast for most people. Its one of the reasons I am not currently subbed to any game at this time and why I have not actively played GW2 in a while.

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

I don't really see any point of putting more focus on small ~5 people team. After all sPvP is that way -> clicky go into the Mists. There you have it tweaked and balanced with points and goals, where one person can make a difference.

WvW is large scale battle where good strategy and commanders are more important then small scale PvP. Of course smaller teams can be and are useful, but term smaller is more like 20 people then 3. Having WvW focused guild going for weakly defended keep, while big zerg with commander is keeping enemy zerg at bay around other keep works fine and I don't see any reason to change that.