Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn: Scholar, Arcanist & Summoner Revealed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Final Fantasy XIV team posted a brand new video to show off a new class and jobs. The video features the Scholar, Arcanist and Summoner that will arrive with Final Fantasy XIV when it is released in late August. Enjoy!

Thanks to Coolit for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TomNeDTomNeD Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Looking forward to release, played the game and beta and pre/orderd the Collecters Edition, but don´t expect really fancy combat guys and you will love this game!
  • RalstlinRalstlin Member UncommonPosts: 234
    Its ok for me, i am tired to play games that are God of War online or Street Fighter Online, i want to play a Role Playing Game, not an Action Games. MMORPG lost essence with new generation F2P MMORPG, games that noone will remember in 10 years with a smile for these good memories. Maybe Tab-Target is old system, maybe P2P is not NewGen but after playing FFXIV: ARR u get in love with the game, good mechanics, good lore, good graphics... Maybe is not the new Vanilla WoW and will have not 10M subscribers, but is really a good game to feel immersed and spent some years playing on it.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    I think the biggest selling point with ARR is polish.  Everyone knows this is what made WoW great.  A polished feeling on release is such a huge point that recent mmo's have lacked.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    Originally posted by Ralstlin
    Its ok for me, i am tired to play games that are God of War online or Street Fighter Online, i want to play a Role Playing Game, not an Action Games. MMORPG lost essence with new generation F2P MMORPG, games that noone will remember in 10 years with a smile for these good memories. Maybe Tab-Target is old system, maybe P2P is not NewGen but after playing FFXIV: ARR u get in love with the game, good mechanics, good lore, good graphics... Maybe is not the new Vanilla WoW and will have not 10M subscribers, but is really a good game to feel immersed and spent some years playing on it.

I'd love for a game to be released and start off telling me about the story, the conflict of the world and how my hero is important. Instead, there are just games toting mechanics. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

*Chuckle*

I put this on the forums the minute it was released.   :P

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/387350/FFXIV-seems-to-have-a-commanding-presence-at-E3.html

The biggest surprise for most, I think, is that the game is completely different from 1.0.  I think many were just expecting a few cosmetic changes and a few choice systems taken out or replaced.  But the entire game was changed, from the graphics engine to the reconstruction of all the landscapes, and to every system within the game.  The only thing that's the same are the names of the cities, pretty much.  It's quite literally impossible to say (and actually mean) that the game is in any way similar to the last version if one took the time to play both.  :D

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Agree with comments above, ive come to realise what I miss is the story telling in the questing/levelling experience which integrates well with a huge world with an ip that does not try to take the piss out of itself with in jokes every 5 mins. long levelling experience with great stories, il worry about end game when I eventually get there.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21
    The Beta didn't really feel very much different from when I bought the retail version 2 years ago (or whenever it was).  UI is better now, otherwise it felt like the same old game I gave up on before.  I was expecting a drastically changed game experience, however that was not the feeling I came away with. 
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Thats some epic music, thanks for the post.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Originally posted by Reignson
    The Beta didn't really feel very much different from when I bought the retail version 2 years ago (or whenever it was).  UI is better now, otherwise it felt like the same old game I gave up on before.  I was expecting a drastically changed game experience, however that was not the feeling I came away with. 

Disagree completely.  As someone who has played both, the games could not be more different and I would like to know more of what you mean by this.  You did not go into depth aside from saying "they're the same", so I would honestly like to understand your reasoning and evidence for making the statement.  It was a shock as I never thought I'd ever read something like that before.  Please and thank you.

Though as a whole, this video was a surprise to many people who weren't expecting actual gameplay presented in such a way at an E3 Live conference.  It was definitely an interesting event.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SimsuSimsu Member UncommonPosts: 386

I wouldn't go into 2.0 expecting it to be a completely different game with the same FF skins. They kept all the stuff people liked and redid all the stuff people didn't like.

As Yae said, 2.0 feels a lot different for me. Keeping it as short as possible, 1.0 felt closed or confined while 2.0 feels more open - both in the world and the combat. If you're a 1.0 player and you hated everything about it then I'm not sure 2.0 is going to do it for you. If you liked some stuff and disliked others then you might really like 2.0.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

100% disagree, I really don't see how you could possibly say that, they are two entirely different games.

• titanjintitanjin Member Posts: 2
    FFXIV ARR was even better than my expectation.  I was in beta 3 and played for 26 hours straight .  Even though it was still in beta, I could not find any negative to say.  This game is the best currently  out there and you will not get disappointed. Only advise I can give you at the moment is use HD t.v. if your planning  on playing  in ps3 version.  DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE TROLLS OUT THERE.
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

100% disagree, I really don't see how you could possibly say that, they are two entirely different games.

I know, right?  Haha.  It actually sparked me writing a couple of pages that essentialy said he was flat out wrong, but it was taken the wrong way and promptly deleted (with the context it was deleted from, I'd say it was justified and am not sour about it).  Though it was the first time I could strongly say such (that I believe something is 100% incorrect) with confidence, though.  It actually gave me inspiration for my new forum motto.

With regards to the topic of the Scholar having a fairy, though.  That was an interesting choice.  I'm sure many of us got the "Hey!  Heeeeey!  Listen!"  voice in our head the moment we saw it.  Hehe!  Wondering just how well it could perform the AoE healing.

They also said something about different colors and the like, though I think the Summoner will be the most popular of the two.

• RocklynnRocklynn Member UncommonPosts: 104

I played 1.0 and have been playing ARR since beta phase2.

It´s a brand new game compared to 1.0 and i like it so far. I´t s by no means a MMO that will revolutionize the MMO scene but it´s a fun solid game especially for us FF fans :)

I will be playing at release :)

www.rocklynn.se

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Extremely excited for this game. I have nothing bad to say about it =)

Smile

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

I have to admit I have enjoyed the beta far beyond then I expected.

I am find myself more and more excited about this game as I learn or hear more.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i wasnt in the early betas but i played the original and in beta 3 (and the future betas) and i can't see how people can say it's the same game.  version 1 was a half complete pile of bad ideas with pretty FF stuff draped over it; version 2 is a good final fantasy game optimised for massively multiplayer play.

version 1 had a UI that even DF developers would laugh at; v2 has a working and customizable UI

version 1 had very little "to do" while version 2 has something for soloers, groupers, quest runners and impromptu groupers as well as crafters.

I had to bring myself to logon to version 1 to see if today was the day it was going to get better; i had to bring myself to log OFF of beta3 because i felt so at home playing it.

and i'm not alone :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Game is completely different now, not sure how anyone could claim it's similar to what it was at launch. It's far, far better, and that's coming from someone who's not a fan in any way. On that note however, it's still not enough to hold my interest. I'm glad I got to try the better, I won't feel like I'm missing anything when I pass it up. It's a beautiful game and what it does, it does well...but it hasn't done anything different from its competition.

The only thing that sets FF14 apart is its lore and world, and even most fans will agree to that. For many, it really is the world and its history that make the game appealing, and that's not a bad thing. However, those that aren't fans of the FF mythology or just don't care either way, are unlikely to find anything to keep them entertained long-term.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123
    I played 1.0 and ARR is nothing like 1.0. I just don't see how you can see 1.0 and ARR are the same except for the UI
  • Hamger8Hamger8 Member Posts: 78
    I just hope all the summon essence are not similar to the floating ifrit. I just hope bahamuth/odin/ Fenrir etc etc summon version are different.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I’ve been playing the betas and I think the game is really solid with few bugs at least at the lower levels. What they have done with the UI and engine performance is really great I can’t fault it at all and it’s clear they have put a lot of effort in to both components. The art direction and audio are absolutely top notch but I’d expect nothing less from a FF game, the fate (dynamic event) system adds a nice twist to the levelling while the quests remain a pretty standard affair, although well written with nice cut scenes.

The game is nothing like 1.0 except for the lore and basic concepts like classes and jobs. Really I think ARR is what 1.0 should have been and I’ve seen enough to give it another go.

• CarnicideCarnicide Member UncommonPosts: 222

I hope they release DRK and SAM sometime in the future!!!!!

• dalestaines1dalestaines1 Member Posts: 107
    If this is coming in Aug (soon) they should show some game play and not just a summoning of a butterfly - if they wanted to impress. 

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Originally posted by Carnicide

I hope they release DRK and SAM sometime in the future!!!!!

Don't forget my NIN, so I can be broke all the time....on second thought....

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature