Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: MMORPG.com's E3 2013 Awards

Comments

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Apparently, what I've been told by other forum members here, the award can go to any game the writer of the article sees. So if someone showed Bill some screen shots of a new Leisure Suit Larry game on their iPhone, Bill could award that game the Best of the Show, even tho nobody but him saw the game and who gives a crap about the other developers who worked for weeks/months prepping for the E3 conference to promote their games.

Maybe the "best in show" he's referring to was the double-D's he was snorting the blow from?

Just sayin'. If we're going to dive into paranoid conspiracy fantasies, let's go whole hawg.

To be fair...that'd get my vote too...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DMKano
    EQN best of the show, and we know nothing. Hype overdrive.

Eh, while we might know nothing, they (MMORPG) does, considering these are their picks, what we know is irrelevant.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by Aeria

No Final Fantasy XIV : ARR mentioned anywhere?

ArcheAge looks interesting, but as of late, it's a 'Falling Star' in Korea.

It mainly has to do that no category adequately fit the bill when it comes to FFXIV (for instance it wouldn't win most Innovative as it's focus and appeal are in solid traditional values with FF iteration and a well articulated, involving world; it also wouldn't get most anticipated as that's based on outstanding hype and brand name -- which FFXIV 1.0 had it's day in the sun for a ways back).

While it's true that FFXIV had a great (if not the best) presence at E3 (with regards to new announcements, trailers, about a dozen new videos (including several new live letters), etc.), there is no award pertaining "best prepared" or "tickle our fancy" with regards to the sheer presence and information it gave you.  But the positive press from E3 has been overwhelming and is a treasure in itself in terms of the overall recognition it got.

Also, most go off of personal preference as opposed to what is just told at the event when handing awards (or picking games they are excited about but not public information has been released).  So past hype usually plays the role.  Some would even say that because it's P2P, MMORPG would never give it an award.  While I would've questioned that, taking a look at all the awards given does make one ponder the validity of such a statement (despite me traditionally supporting the B2P models whenever I talk about them).

All in all, it's a list that I expected, as I didn't expect FFXIV to get an award due to the language gap primarily as well as it being a P2P game (since payment models are faltering as a whole and more and more people just seem interested in F2P and B2P).  Still some interesting games were chosen, and that's all one could ask for when looking at what the sites enjoyed most.

What I find most other game sites do is provide additional awards to give recognition where it deserves and not just post hyped games that didn't need additional press.  Though most of the ones here seemed to be mainstream and well supported as is.  That's the only complain I have with regards to it.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

The minute more then 100 people are in the same area casting spells EverQuack Next will lag and crash like no other MMO you have ever seen.  The engine that this game is built on (ForgeLight) looks great but does not handle lots of people in the same area.  People will lag, damage and heals will take 3 seconds to take effect and then will be cancelled because the server is dazed and confused and has no clue what to do.  And then, then my friends the tears will roll from all the QQ.

All this hype for a game that is built on a flawed game engine is comical.  I can't wait until all who choose to ignore that which I talk about are forced to have to deal with it.  You can claim ignorance but that will be a lie, you were warned long ago.

You don't build the foundation of your house on a dung heap, unless your SOE.  A a pile a dung is exactly what ForgeLight is.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• ForeverdreamForeverdream Member UncommonPosts: 141

No FFXIV? Bill what gives? This is MMORPG.com *Ahem* not mmofps.com  

Destiny? That might be on some console minds, sure. As a die hard mmo'er it wasn't even on my list. Yet FFXIV has been a hot topic and yet gets glazed over? Come on MMOrpg

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

A) Best of show EQ:N?  Oh FFS.

How can that be when it wasn't even officially a part of the show?  You got a glimpse.  The rest of us didn't.  You might as well save it for August and give time now for games that actually were on display.  /shrug

B) How that friggin' Warhammer game was mentioned, while you neglected to acknowledge The Division is simply beyond me. 

Nothing but hype in this article. 

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Wow, why is MMORPG.com treating FFXIV like total crap? I'm sorry but from what I've seen of the phases the game deserves to be on the list and MMORPG.com has repeatedly ignored the game nad put it on the backburner. Extremely frustrating.

Smile

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Razeekster
    Wow, why is MMORPG.com treating FFXIV like total crap? I'm sorry but from what I've seen of the phases the game deserves to be on the list and MMORPG.com has repeatedly ignored the game nad put it on the backburner. Extremely frustrating.

People have opinions but if you think about it promoting a subscription based game is not very smart business for a site like MMORPG.com

They are better off hyping free to play games and B2P games that don't retain players so that those players are consistently coming back to this site to read up on MMORPG news about upcoming games.

They also benefit from hyping vaporware and games like EQnext that we know little to nothing about, this way they do not have to generate actual content for their website but can instead just continually feed speculation and hype the very things which drive people to this site in the first place. 

The undeniable truth is that once information is known about EQ Next many people following it will no longer do so as no game can offer something for everyone, and the EQ Next community that is gathering is far too diverse (with hardcore sandbox people and nostalgic EQ 1 fans who have very different values in MMORPG gaming) for every single person in it to be happy with the finished product once its shape is better known.

I'm not saying that is the reason Bill Murphy chose EQ Next as game of show, personally I think it could just as well be because he has poor taste in MMORPG's and absolutely no regard for a fair field when giving awards (most professionals and sites would comment about EQ Next if they were blown away but not give it an award and then say "we can't talk about it" that is BS).  But it is in this site's best interest.  Very similar to how they don't show all that much WoW content even though it is the most played MMORPG, because people get their info for that elsewhere and don't need this website to discuss it or get updates on it.

They are just giving their audience what they want, hype.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    They showed it too the press so they can link that little logo MMORPG Best in Show E3 2013.
  • RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I feel sorry for the other games at E3 for getting completely ignored for a game that didn't even bother to present at E3. I guess everything there completely sucked to lose best of show to...an absentee game.

"Hey EQ Next, ready for the big reveal at E3?"

"Nah...we're going to do our own thing elsewhere. What? We won best of show? lol We didn't show the public squat...Iol"

Sigh...again as others have said. It was shown to Bill Murphy the writer of this article who called it best in show. This is not the publics best in show, this is MMORPG.com's best in show.

The important thing is he was that impressed with whatever they were shown to give it best in show.

This is the same guy who was impressed by SWTOR and still continually praises it so I really don't take Bill's words seriously at all when it comes to MMOs (no offense to him meant, I am just being honest).

Smile

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

some of these games look decent....and your coverage is all well and good...

however, FFXIV: ARR is about to launch in august and is already in beta 3 yet you still have no coverage whatsoever about it. They were at E3...did you even bother to stop by and take a look? It's easily shaping up to be one of the best games of 2013 as well as a great success story but for whatever reason, mmorpg.com still holds some kind of aversion for FFXIV and square-enix.

EDIT: i understand none of the awards really fit with ffxiv. with that said, this site has hardly given any kind of coverage at all other than when the initial gameplay video was shown half a year ago.
  • MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258

Little bit. It is their opinion and they have a right to say Hello Kitty Adventure Island is #1 if they wanted.

On another note TYPO "we’ll be right there aamong the horde of players that will be pleasantly surprised."

Not totally agreeing with your list but not totally against it at the same time. Agree about ESO and Wildstar being the last of the true Themeparks left. Which I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

People may cry for a sandbox and demand it but when have people ever really known what they want? or better what they really need.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• MondoA2JMondoA2J Member Posts: 258
    Also to people saying E3 sucked this year...it was primarily focused on the new consoles this year.

MMORPG Gamers/Developers need a reality check!

• bingo69bingo69 Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Seeing ho you can already create dungeon, items and such with the new feature they added to their game. I can see thwem making a good sandbox quite fairly. Obviously, i'm putting all my hope into it since there's no game interesting me right now, which is kind of sad lol. but oh well!
  • nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

Wow, you didn't play Scarlet Blade but rated it one of the worst of the year, and EQ Next didn't appear at E3 but it won best of show?

Is Bill Murphy trying to win some sort of contest for incompetent journalism?

Note:  I played SB and thought it was fun and very polished but ultimately too grindy and am no longer playing it, so I am not some rabid fanboy.  Also, I am very much looking forward to EQ Next and I did play EQ2 when it came out in preference to WoW and have played EQ2 quite a bit.  It is just that the journalism on this site has gone to hell...

• DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600

Sorry guys, but Final Fantasy 14 doesn't deserve to be most anticipated or anything else. They pulled a mulligan, don't you remember they already released the game once and it sucked balls?  Now I do give them Kudos for pulling it and reworking it and the rebirth may make it a fantastic game... but they f'ed up, they deserve no honors and pats on the back beyond that.

Now as far as EQN goes... Best of Show shouldn't go to something unseen, but I sure hope it is awesome. I hope it lays somewhere directly between Sandbox and Theme. I like an open world, but I love an open world that also has a point and a reason for my character to exist, beyond just survival.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Well for one Destiny is not a mmo. It only borrows a few mmo elements. Also how can EQN be Best of Sow when the public did not see anything ? Still trying to figure that one out...
  • kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Sorry guys, but Final Fantasy 14 doesn't deserve to be most anticipated or anything else. They pulled a mulligan, don't you remember they already released the game once and it sucked balls?  Now I do give them Kudos for pulling it and reworking it and the rebirth may make it a fantastic game... but they f'ed up, they deserve no honors and pats on the back beyond that.

Now as far as EQN goes... Best of Show shouldn't go to something unseen, but I sure hope it is awesome. I hope it lays somewhere directly between Sandbox and Theme. I like an open world, but I love an open world that also has a point and a reason for my character to exist, beyond just survival.

not really a mulligan if you hire a completely new dev team and build and entirely new game and engine that puts most games out right now to shame.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Dauntis

Yes as gamers we should totally give jerkoffs like Smedley a man who destroyed many people's favorite MMORPG's in the past chance after chance with new games and unfullfilled promises/hype.  But god forbid a company invests hundreds of millions of dollars to actually fix an MMO based on feedback for their fans and gets overwhelmingly positive reaction from them winning many of them back.

Yes that isn't a story, who cares.  What is Smedley dumping in the toilet over at SOE next?  Mmmm delicious, let's all shill that turd.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    Originally posted by Tinybina

The minute more then 100 people are in the same area casting spells EverQuack Next will lag and crash like no other MMO you have ever seen.  The engine that this game is built on (ForgeLight) looks great but does not handle lots of people in the same area.  People will lag, damage and heals will take 3 seconds to take effect and then will be cancelled because the server is dazed and confused and has no clue what to do.  And then, then my friends the tears will roll from all the QQ.

All this hype for a game that is built on a flawed game engine is comical.  I can't wait until all who choose to ignore that which I talk about are forced to have to deal with it.  You can claim ignorance but that will be a lie, you were warned long ago.

You don't build the foundation of your house on a dung heap, unless your SOE.  A a pile a dung is exactly what ForgeLight is.

have you even played Planetside 2? I can play with 500 people all over my screen blasting everywhere in sight and I dont drop below 40fps. which is great for a massive shooter. When was the last time you saw 500 people casting spells or causing explosions all in one place in any game? The answer is never.  My computer is not even top of the line. Forgelight is actually one of the best engines for MMO's to come out in a long time. Research before you make baseless claims. Good day.

Specs of my system

i7-2600k (2 generations behind now.)

GTX 570 (Also 2 generations behind)

16GB of DDR3 1600 Ram

Resolution 1920x1080

• krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    Originally posted by Tinybina

I play PS2 from my location in Australia, and to be honest our whole internet infrastructure sucks so hard it ceased being funny in the 1980,s, where most of our infrastructure believes it is still living.

And I disagree with your view on the engine, even with gimped service and distance been in long slogs with 100+ and I have few complaints of lag, try altering your settings for frame rates and dump shadows, which is always the big fat whore like elephant glaring at you in 100+ PVP 

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Destiny - Showing you just how fucking horrible aiming with a console controller really is (was actually hard to watch and cringe worthy, aimassist FTW). Otherwise the game looks vaguely interesting, and a little late to the post apocalyptic shooter genre.

If it ever comes to the PC, I'll wait till it goes on sale.

Now this on the other hand has peaked my interest...

"Greetings from The Humungus! The Lord Humungus! The Warrior of the Wasteland! The Ayatollah of Rock'n Rolla!"

Well, maybe not quite. But I know I have to make an appearance in there at some point.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Lol right. Thus starts EQN down fall {insert sarcazim}. but this is how it starts......

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Maybe I'll finally be able to get into an EQ game and find my first real sandbox love at the same time, now let's just hope they've learned something about graphics and combat since EQ2.

I'm glad they're making a new 40K MMO, not so sure about the Funcom devs, but we'll see.  At least it will be detailed.

REALLY unsure about AA being a rising anything, it looks so different from what I expected early on, and by that I mean it doesn't look different from what's already been done.  Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but so far from the looks of it, I'm disappointed.  Also, they need to show combat.  If it's like it was in an older video, forget it.  I'll just go back to GW2.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Truly, best of hype.