Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another faceroll easy MMO like GW2?

so I still play GW2 - because my wife does - and I pretty much think its the easiest and most boring MMO i've ever played, not to mention a ridiculous RNG grind for anything of value but i digress... I really REALLY want a new MMO thats challenging and intense and demands teamwork. Is FF XIV for me? I've never played a FF series game and someone in GW2 chat said FF XIV was "just as lame ass boring as GW2 is"... thoughts?

i'm just about ready to take a very long break from MMOs or just retire completely. I'm a semi-casual player but when i do get a chance to get online, I want to do something epic and challenging. I've listened to alot of commentary and videos but I never hear anyone address this aspect of the FF XIV gameplay.

thanks

Comments

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by motherofserpents

someone in GW2 chat said FF XIV was "just as lame ass boring as GW2 is"... thoughts?

Instead of listening to another's opinion, wait until Phase 4 if you don't already have access, try it for yourself and decide then.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

so I still play GW2 - because my wife does - and I pretty much think its the easiest and most boring MMO i've ever played, not to mention a ridiculous RNG grind for anything of value but i digress... I really REALLY want a new MMO thats challenging and intense and demands teamwork. Is FF XIV for me? I've never played a FF series game and someone in GW2 chat said FF XIV was "just as lame ass boring as GW2 is"... thoughts?

i'm just about ready to take a very long break from MMOs or just retire completely. I'm a semi-casual player but when i do get a chance to get online, I want to do something epic and challenging. I've listened to alot of commentary and videos but I never hear anyone address this aspect of the FF XIV gameplay.

thanks

I play the game for challenging content that demands teamwork.

That is all I seek in an MMO, and out of all of the ones available I am playing this one.  So I believe that it does, I think it did in 1.2x towards the end (improving as much as it could under that system) and that it is moving in the right direction towards further improvement in this regard.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me, but this is what I am passionate about in MMORPG's so I have given a lot of thought to my choice.

• RedKnuckleRedKnuckle Member Posts: 1

thanks

I would say you should give FFXIV a try. I feel pretty much the same way about the current state of mmos in general and although I got into phase 3 of beta, I didn't get enough time in to fully understand the mechanics.  What I CAN tell you is that not only is just about ANY game deeper and more challenging than GW2, FFXIV has a lot going on that's too hard to judge at face value.

Solo Quests

Gathering Quests

Crafting Quests

Guildleves

Guildhests

Dungeons

Raids

FATES <---GW2 Dynamic Events

Housing

Chocobo Raising <---Can equip armor and fight with you

The list goes on.....Yeah, I'm missing it already. 

• tarodintarodin Member UncommonPosts: 128

thanks

Give Eve online a try... it's a different concept of game... and you can success doing different stuff... pvp, pve, trade, mining, etc... I'm sad because actual games are pretty easy.

Since eq1 and vanilla wow i dont find any fantasy game changelling. Eve for the moment fills my need and i'm a semi-casual like you.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i love how people say GW2 is beyond easy and then cry about the dungeons being too difficult because theres no mmo dumbing down trinity mechanic in place. People like different things. Every mmo doesnt have to be the exact same as every other mmo. I cant talk about FFXIV because i havent tried beta (waiting for next weekend) but im hoping it will also be a fun experience since (to my little knowledge) the trinity there is not heavy (it might be there but not as awful as a couple other games that dont let your class be flexible with more than 1 role).

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

what do you do in GW2? do you do instances, public quests what?

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59

thanks

Go play WoW or basically any other mmo just click chose target use ur skills in order, boom done, next raid, no mmorpg have really high cap skill at all, get gear (grinding in boring and lame ways) kill all. ur the tank? block and agggro, ur dps do that damge, no mmorpg have big brain system, better go play a beat em up or a racing game if u really want to show skills

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Computer games have become easier and easier the last 15 years. Probably because more different types of people play them now.

Either you have to play a PvP based game instead or learn to deal with it. Even the old classics that are still up and running are easier today than they used to be.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Let me ask you this...

How much of a future do you see for yourself in an MMO, which was released, then UN-released a few weeks later because the game was so bad, and is now being re-released...

Doesn't exactly inspire me to play this game...

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The Loke is still alive !!! long time not seen m8 :)

Aye games did become easier, but leveling should be easy.
    If each mob was likea raid boss with wipe nighte attached to it then its no fun :P

Altough the Story Line quests at level 15 might give you an indication of how hard things might become when doing all stuff solo.

You realy need to use your brain and plan a good tactic or you are not going to get passed it.
    And i know !! i wiped 6 times before server shutdown !
    I tried all diffrecnt kind of things and havent figured it out yet, this weekend i shall return and got a new plan ready :)

Thats something i havent seen in a long time in mmo's, it all become faceroll untill you reach endgame and start doing the heavy contend.

It seems Naoki Yoshida starts showing you realy early to think outside of the box or you wont finish the quests :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • SephiroSephiro Member UncommonPosts: 7

This game has  a lot going for it. They layered depth into the game with all of the different  moving parts. I know this is vague, but if you want the sense that you are playing something with soul then you need complexity without complication. FFXIV delivers.

They managed to build on their  strengths and it appears they have put in many hours and hard work to grow the network of encounters, dungeons, quests and stories  to breath life into the world.

I wish it was up right now..

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308

Ugh, another one of these threads ? "OMG It's all too easy for me! I'm such a bad ass."

People so  often mistake time investment for difficulty. There was nothing hard about Eq1, it just took a lot of time (the mechanics were no more difficult than Wow's raids, you just tended to wipe more and you had to organize more people. )

This argument is so damn tired, and then they release a hard game (Dark Souls for example) and a very small niche plays it.

If you really want difficulty, why not add it for yourself ? Handicap yourself, or is that too much for you to do on your own? In SWTOR..play without a companion, In GW2, don't focus on getting the best gear. Etc Etc..get creative and you can make any game difficult.

People scream "I want it to be harder" but they never give an example of how.

I don't even know how to answer this question because I don't have a bloody clue what you want.

"Harder than GW2"...well that's so damn subjective it cant' be answered. Do you want more grind ? Do you want Death Touch raid bosses like EQ ? Do you want target reticles to go away, making you guess where some aoe effect will land ? PBAOEs like Eq? 

This thread comes off as so cynical, I doubt anything would please you, so probably stay away. From your post slamming just about every MMO ever made..I'd say you should probably think about another way to spend your free-time too. Take up chess.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Yeh I really don't get people claiming one mmo is easier or harder than another.  If you can read then playing an MMO should be a snap unless you have a physical or mental disability.  I can understand some people having a hard time with the more recent action combat based games because that requires a little more hand-eye coordination, timing, and attention span but as a whole all MMOs are easy.   If this game is, or any MMO for that matter is hard for you, then like the poster above said, maybe you should take a break for a while. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• booskAbooskA Member UncommonPosts: 79
    round level 17, the game becomes progessively more and more challenging. Many quest are nearly impossible to complete at the level you are allowed to pick them up. Since they take you into solo instances, there isn't much you can do. The dungeons are also very challenging. First, there is a time limit. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you will not complete the dungeon. You will also not complete the dungeon unless you have a very good tank and healer. If the DPS don't watch their damage output and draw aggro, they will die. I have not played long enough to encounter any raids, but just the intensity of the newbie dungeon was enough to convince me that there was finally going to be a non-faceroll MMO again.
  • stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    i love how people say GW2 is beyond easy and then cry about the dungeons being too difficult because theres no mmo dumbing down trinity mechanic in place. People like different things. Every mmo doesnt have to be the exact same as every other mmo. I cant talk about FFXIV because i havent tried beta (waiting for next weekend) but im hoping it will also be a fun experience since (to my little knowledge) the trinity there is not heavy (it might be there but not as awful as a couple other games that dont let your class be flexible with more than 1 role).

Is more than just dungeon features that are dumbed down ;)

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Yeh I really don't get people claiming one mmo is easier or harder than another.  If you can read then playing an MMO should be a snap unless you have a physical or mental disability.  I can understand some people having a hard time with the more recent action combat based games because that requires a little more hand-eye coordination, timing, and attention span but as a whole all MMOs are easy.   If this game is, or any MMO for that matter is hard for you, then like the poster above said, maybe you should take a break for a while. 

^ must have never played Everquest or at least rodingo didn't raid in it...

I stopped raiding a long time ago.  It just became way to tedious.  I realized I didn't feel the draw to raid for gear, so I could raid for gear, so I could raid for gear, so I could for gear anymore.  

And no, I didn't raid in EQ.  What was so hard about it?  Before you answer, just know that I don't consider scripted boss fights and skill rotations difficult.   

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

^ must have never played Everquest or at least rodingo didn't raid in it...

I stopped raiding a long time ago.  It just became way to tedious.  I realized I didn't feel the draw to raid for gear, so I could raid for gear, so I could raid for gear, so I could for gear anymore.  

And no, I didn't raid in EQ.  What was so hard about it?  Before you answer, just know that I don't consider scripted boss fights and skill rotations difficult.   

You must of never played endgame in FFXI either...

Two Words:

Absolute Virtue. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by evianwater

Ugh, another one of these threads ? "OMG It's all too easy for me! I'm such a bad ass."

People so  often mistake time investment for difficulty. There was nothing hard about Eq1, it just took a lot of time (the mechanics were no more difficult than Wow's raids, you just tended to wipe more and you had to organize more people. )

" Oh come on guys EQ1 wasn't that hard. You only wipe more than WoW and have to be more organized." Ermm... Doesn't that make it harder than WoW?

This argument is so damn tired, and then they release a hard game (Dark Souls for example) and a very small niche plays it.

I don't play Dark Souls because it's a boring single-player game, yawn.

If you really want difficulty, why not add it for yourself ? Handicap yourself, or is that too much for you to do on your own? In SWTOR..play without a companion, In GW2, don't focus on getting the best gear. Etc Etc..get creative and you can make any game difficult.

Lol Oh I've got an Idea, try to play through level 80 content on a level 1! However, I did that. It was actually quite funny I died many times to get to the level 80 zones.

People scream "I want it to be harder" but they never give an example of how.

I don't even know how to answer this question because I don't have a bloody clue what you want.

Well, imagine WoW but actually hard. Content takes no time at all to go through. Even in the raiding scene.

"Harder than GW2"...well that's so damn subjective it cant' be answered. Do you want more grind ? Do you want Death Touch raid bosses like EQ ? Do you want target reticles to go away, making you guess where some aoe effect will land ? PBAOEs like Eq? 

Death touch raid bosses? SO YOU DID PLAY EQ1 still case and point as to how hard EQ1 was :3

This thread comes off as so cynical, I doubt anything would please you, so probably stay away. From your post slamming just about every MMO ever made..I'd say you should probably think about another way to spend your free-time too. Take up chess.

You know another MMO I liked that was/is hard. Anarchy Online, that game's fun. Too bad I'm still waiting for their vaporware graphics engine.

Eq1 (This was, is, and probably always will be my favorite mmo) wasn't nearly as hard as people like to pretend. It just required people! That's it. Think about CT..just have DT catchers. Think about Ssra, just have off-tanks and healers...etc etc etc. 

What made it seem harder was lack of information, there were no target reticles, guides were on fan-sites, guilds would give mis-information to misguide competing guilds. 

Basically the "difficulty" came from two things : numbers of players and immaturity of the genre ( not having features). 

So if you wanted hard..take away all the features and information. Change 10 -man "groups" and 24 man "raids" to what it was in Eq...as few or as many people as you can muster, but gear the boss toward 30+

There were also no addons : no dps trackers, no hate trackers, no timers. Everything was hidden, you wont find a game that does that now and honestly probably wouldn't want it.