Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Charts - Official numbers from Steam

Comments

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Originally posted by badbingo10
    Originally posted by BrownAle
    Someone message me when the population reaches 0 and AV re-release the original (couple of months tops). BTW im immune to the flames im likely to get for pointing out the inevitable, i've been on forumfall.

Wont happen.

DF1 is dead, less people were interested in it than DFUW.  Get over it move on please.

This game shuts down and all you got left is Mortal Online.

I disagree, the population decline in UW is faster than a stone in water, entire clans have quit. Most of the people who pre-ordered were hoping for something as special (but improved) as the original, what they got was UH hence the population dropping over 50% in 2 months. Citys un-built, villages empty and pointless, safe zones harbouring the handful of people still playing keeping the game afloat. And to say more people were intrested in DFUW than DF1 is ludicrous! Have you seen the sales figures for both games?

And a few optimistic players thinking this will be enough to keep it running? I'm sorry to be bashing a game you clearly like, but people are kidding themselves if they think this will last more than a month or two.

I'm pleased for the few that are enjoying this game, but I'd sooner look to the future and see what AV will do next, massively fix UW in super quick time (unlikely) or accept defeat and re-launch a tweeked original.

With 100 and 150 man zergs happening... i really don't beleave a word  you said.  The world is getting hotter, zergier, and tons of more players. are killing each other.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by -Zeno-
    Someone message me when the population reaches 0 and AV re-release the original (couple of months tops). BTW im immune to the flames im likely to get for pointing out the inevitable, i've been on forumfall.

Wont happen.

DF1 is dead, less people were interested in it than DFUW.  Get over it move on please.

I disagree, the population decline in UW is faster than a stone in water, entire clans have quit. Most of the people who pre-ordered were hoping for something as special (but improved) as the original, what they got was UH hence the population dropping over 50% in 2 months. Citys un-built, villages empty and pointless, safe zones harbouring the handful of people still playing keeping the game afloat. And to say more people were intrested in DFUW than DF1 is ludicrous! Have you seen the sales figures for both games?

And a few optimistic players thinking this will be enough to keep it running? I'm sorry to be bashing a game you clearly like, but people are kidding themselves if they think this will last more than a month or two.

I'm pleased for the few that are enjoying this game, but I'd sooner look to the future and see what AV will do next, massively fix UW in super quick time (unlikely) or accept defeat and re-launch a tweeked original.

With 100 and 150 man zergs happening... i really don't beleave a word  you said.  The world is getting hotter, zergier, and tons of more players. are killing each other.

Yeah the clan that quit? What Zealot? They were like a 20 man clan, tried to recruit no one joined so the went to active clans and "died"...they were semi popular old vets and some think that's a big deal...it wasn't.

Clans die and others gain members, that's how it works.

Its no blockbuster game but the population is stable and seems to be slightly growing...despite on the official forums the same 30 people unsub ever time its sub renewal time...yeah some people do leave the game though.  Not in droves, and its one of the few games that didn't have a sharp drop in pop after the first month, or second.

Ok...the EU server is dead...don't think it was ever big though.  I think EU had like 2k clanned members while NA sits around 6k-7k

• Deerhunter71Deerhunter71 Member Posts: 527
    Population definitely is down on NA.  Wolflands safe zones used to be packed...  Not the case the past week.  AV better steup up the content updates and them NOT be fishing trawlers, lol
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Deerhunter71
    Population definitely is down on NA.  Wolflands safe zones used to be packed...  Not the case the past week.  AV better steup up the content updates and them NOT be fishing trawlers, lol

I haven't seen a drop on NA yet.  Not in my area.  I'm sure it is down a bit though.  My guess is those few people who unsubbed will sub back at the very next patch.  Some fickle people there.

• xzyaxxzyax Member Posts: 2,459
    Updated tables for the past week.  
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    The thing about the steam numbers, is most of the people who wanted to play Darkfall UW bought it before the steam release happened. I specifically waited for the greenlight to come out but I know even when it launched it never even hit the front page of top sales, and I know when I got onto the game it was pretty populated, lots of people everywhere. But at the same time you never know maybe the population did drop quite a bit, I mean I left but that was because I didn't really have enough time to dedicate to it more than anything. The steam numbers may be showing a general drop slowly, but I feel like any patch time will bring quite a few back.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I wonder if in couple years AV will release another Darkfall update calling it a new version of the game and how many people will buy it.

Weekly update for June 22nd - June 28th.

Weekend numbers will be added on Monday, July 1st.

Weekend numbers updated.
  • gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    Should be plus 20 for the latest week

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    Stable at above 40% retention rate still!  Even if its low numbers it bests industry standards for MMORPG's.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

The latest numbers in chart form. I was curious to know what it looked like.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    I am excited about next 2 patch.  With more new dungeon, ships, market place, some game balancing I think we will see a spike from returning players.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

Originally posted by gamekid2k
    Should be plus 20 for the latest week

Which day do you think is in error?  If it is wrong, I will change it accordingly.

Thanks.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I like to follow politics, and as such have been exposed to a plethora of polling types and practices.

While your Steam numbers are valid, they do come with a pile of caveats. First, they are only the Steam numbers, in politics this would be like polling a single voter block. Yes you get a picture of how that block will vote, but not an accurate picture of how the entire populace will vote.

A second issue is the technical issues during the first 6 weeks or so when the Steam launcher was having so many issues that even general chat was telling players to not use Steam. It was considered to be the primary fix. Pile on top of that the Steam/screenshot bug and I suspect the majority of players have/did/will choose AV launcher over Steam.

I know population is VERY important. But size and density needed for a positive gaming experience is subjective. Do you need millions for WoW to be successful? Yes. Do you need millions for DF:UW to be successful? No.

In the case of a FFA PvP game, I personally, find anecdotal data concerning population to be a better representation. Is there lots of PvP? Yes, I regularly find myself naked and alone. I venture outside of the SZ, but do so very fearfully. Constantly scan the horizon. Never finish a mineral node. Never stay at monster spawn more than 5 kills. The kind of experience I expected to find in a game of this sort.

Thanks for compiling the data, we all need hobbies.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The only data that matters is if you have enough players on your server actively playing.How big the world is of course matters.

Having played DF1 but not DF2 i am not sure of how many would be needed but imo it would be standard at around 1500-3500 concurrent players.This si the same for just about any game,you never need millions for any game,even if you only had 35k players in total that would be more than enough to support one server.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• StrangerousStrangerous Member Posts: 165

If you are not counting clanned members then you are doing it wrong.

Originally posted by Strangerous

There are 3 different links on the OP to various threads which try to guess at the clan counts.  Each person can decide how valid those numbers are for themselves.   If you have a link to a thread which you think does clan counts better, by all means post it and I may add it to the list on the OP as well.

This thread mainly concentrates on the official Steam charts numbers that are displayed for everyone by Aventurine and Steam.  The tables in this thread are merely a reproduction of those official numbers.

Originally posted by xzyax
    Originally posted by Strangerous

There are 3 different links on the OP to various threads which try to guess at the clan counts.  Each person can decide how valid those numbers are for themselves.   If you have a link to a thread which you think does clan counts better, by all means post it and I may add it to the list on the OP as well.

This thread mainly concentrates on the official Steam charts numbers that are displayed for everyone by Aventurine and Steam.  The tables in this thread are merely a reproduction of those official numbers.

There is no guessing.  You log in, add up the clans member count and that's the number for the day or week.

Its way more accurate than keeping track of people playing through steam, considering steam interface is super buggy and most end up dropping it for the normal launcher.

Numbers are updated for the past week.  Weekend numbers will be updated on Monday.
  • deveilbladdeveilblad Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Abimor

IMO its more accurate to count up the clanned memebers in game and use that to track.  Its nice to see steam is at least adding some people though...however...steam launcher has had issues and most have chosen to use the real launcher and not play through steam.

A lot of people don't understand that a vast majority of players don't use steam to play the game and think the game has like 300 players because of it.

ya i was thinking that if thats how many played on steam it has to be at least triple that off steam. 

Even if its triple ... It means darktall has an approximate total of 1200 players at peak hours ? How is AV even still in business lol ?

Originally posted by deveilblad

IMO its more accurate to count up the clanned memebers in game and use that to track.  Its nice to see steam is at least adding some people though...however...steam launcher has had issues and most have chosen to use the real launcher and not play through steam.

A lot of people don't understand that a vast majority of players don't use steam to play the game and think the game has like 300 players because of it.

ya i was thinking that if thats how many played on steam it has to be at least triple that off steam. 

Even if its triple ... It means darktall has an approximate total of 1200 players at peak hours ? How is AV even still in business lol ?

Well its more like 4k-5k on the EU server and 6k-7k on the US server

Given its p2p and that its a small development team, seems to work out for everyone.  Certainly enough people on the server to provide more than enough action for most people.

yes there are some cases where p2p works far better than f2p/b2p, I know its hard to believe.  p2p is probably the same reason WAR keeps on ticking too.

but yeah each server could certainly use another 4-5k players before thing started to get too crowded.

Originally posted by deveilblad

From some of the links that are available on the OP (at the bottom) you can find in-game clan counts.  They vary a bit but are generally in the range of 6400 for NA server and 4300 for EU server.  Those numbers come with their own caveats obviously, but just wanted to make sure you were aware of them.  

Visit the links from the OP and read through them to get the full context of those numbers if you have the time.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Wont happen.

I wonder where these type of posts are coming from. We never knew about DF UW and we got hyped by it. We thought DF2010 was gonna be like DF with more prestige classes, more skills for melee/archery cuz they never had any except 1 or 2 and the armor you see in DF UW; not roles and forced armor set for each classes plus the super huge safezones.

Some players will compare the old title system to the new prowess system. I never did one title and i was still good. You're forced to complete your feats to reach level 80 so stop comparing these 2 totally different things. Questing was a lot more interesting than completing feats. I'm not saying that macroing was better, but if each prowess kills were split up correctly instead of killing 30 of something and 150 after, it would have been a better system in the name of sandbox.

Don't forget that we stopped playing DF when they announced a server wipe for the first time. They announced it a year before thye finally decided to close DFO, so they killed their own game instead of working on it like any sane company would do for their mmo.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• GreymoorGreymoor Member UncommonPosts: 802
    If the major work around for the buggy Steam launcher is to stop using it and just download the one off the Darkfall website, how much do these statistics actually show?
This discussion has been closed.