Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has a higher population, Rift or lotro

Im looking for a new game with a large population that isn't wow. Rift and lotro caught my eye but i don't like how there isn't much to do after end game on lotro.

Im going to give rift a try. But was just wondering which game had more players because i like to get into a game that will last along time and not shutdown on me like other games have.

Thank you

Comments

• jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Actually, Rift has a nice population since the game went free to play.  Plus, the community is very nice and helpful. I recommend it very much. There is alot to do. 
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    A good probability that Rift will have a higher population since it is newly F2P.  How it fairs say 3-4 months from now though would be yet to be seen.
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180

If you have been playing WOW, you will fit nicely into Rift. Much  of the game play in Rift will be familiar to you.  There are tons of faction reputation groups. The pvp is mainly a 2 v 2 system. Although, recently they added a 3 server WvWvW style. But if you join a pvp server, the open world pvp is Guardian vs Defiants. 

As for population after 3 or 4 months, time will tell. Personally, if people are bored out there, waiting for the next "perfect" mmo, this game will offer alot of good content to hold you over. You may even find a permanent home here. I personally came back recently, and there is alot more content that I have never even tried. They even have a form of housing. It is an instanced "dimension". But it is better than nothing.  You can really personalize your home though. Many of the items you decorate your home with, is through questing, raiding, faction building...etc...

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Rift is great game and great populations
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Purutzil and jacktors combined :)  if you played wow you pretty much know both Rift and LotRO. Right now Rift is flooded with players, on the weekend there were login queues as well, it'd be safer to estimate the population only after 2-3 months.

"i don't like how there isn't much to do after end game on lotro." just the usual endgame like in the other too. One aspect less, and that is pvp. So if you're into endgame pvp, then maybe Rift is better.

F2p: while I love LotRO, I have to admit Rift's f2p is very good (based on what I've seen so far, I'm not an old Rift-er). So if cost is a criteria (but I don't think so, since you're coming from a subscription game), again Rift is a bit better.

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    Rift has a pretty good F2P offering in that it is actually free to play the game with very few restrictions and it is actually a pretty good game.  Nothing revolutionary but still fun to play.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I've never quite understood the populationus maximus school of thought.

Fortunately, developers seem to be getting better at population traffic direction, to prevent that "graveyard feeling", even on rather small titles. Nor is the server configuration still required to remain static, or server merge a frightening term.

Shouldn't be an issue for anybody, in just a few years.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SilvercrankSilvercrank Member Posts: 29

Thanks for replies, i don't care if it's p2p or f2p. 

I'll give rift a shot :D

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    A good probability that Rift will have a higher population since it is newly F2P.  How it fairs say 3-4 months from now though would be yet to be seen.

Rift is Buzz Lightyear and LOTRO is Woody......Once the luster wears off of Buzz the kids will return to Woody but it wil lbe awhile.....

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

LotRO has populated servers. It has dead servers.

I've never played Rift.

• SilvercrankSilvercrank Member Posts: 29

One of the things i liked about lotro is the graphics. I love everythhing about them.

The 2 games i quit was wow and runecape which i both payed for, if anyone knows of any good p2p games with healthy populations let me know. ALthough i dont like the sound of gw2, i used to play the first one, and i just don't get eve online.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Rift is Buzz Lightyear and LOTRO is Woody......Once the luster wears off of Buzz the kids will return to Woody but it wil lbe awhile.....

Hmm, that's an interesting way to put it, but I think you are right.  For now, Rift is the newest shiny.  However, Lotro has the appeal of an established IP.  Not to mention the Hobbit movies will be giving it  injections of people for the next couple of years.  The downside for Lotro though is how the content is gated through micro-transactions.   Rift will probably hold strong for a bit, but honestly if you played WoW, Lotro, and Swtor, you will recognize the same game mechanics of trinity, quest hubs, and raids.  Then it just comes down to which wrapping do you like better.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor