Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is World PvP Now?

HoiPoloiHoiPoloi Member UncommonPosts: 98

Our guild has been drifting away from GW2 because of the changes to WvW.  So we are looking for another game with world PvP to play until ESO comes out.  SWTOR is on our list to check out.

At the time of launch, I remember hearing a lot of criticisms of their world PvP (which takes place on Illum I believe?).

So my question is:  how is the state of world PvP on SWTOR now?  Have the bugs been ironed out?  Is balance acceptable?  What are the prospects for long-term play?

Also, what is the effect of F2P on PvP.  Are there any serious P2W concerns, and how much will someone have to spend to participate?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Rithwis, Righteous Golem of Camelot | Skritha, Orc Archer of Tamriel | Bloodwod, Sawbones of Auraxis | Thrumdi, Blue Norn of Tyria | Gwidwod, Spider of the Ettenmoors | Gideon Slack, Hunter of Alsius

Comments

• Thebrave246Thebrave246 Member Posts: 174
    I would like to know all of this as well, as I am really not playing any MMOs at the moment but was a guild leader of over a 300 member guild in SWTOR at one point. Thanks!
  • theoneandonlytheoneandonly Member Posts: 102

U  r looking 4 a grain of sugar in massive bucket of salt.

Nona of AA titles come close to open world PvP but TERA. Some oldies still got good system in place, like Lineage 2, AoC but for a newbie u will get out classed.

Sad but at the moment there`s no OWPvP MMO that is not P2W or got very low Pop ((((

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224

The World PVP is still dead, Bioware doesn't seem to care about World PVP; which made me quit the game. And yes, the game is P2W you need to be a subscriber or unlock artifact gear (best gear) from the cash shop.

As a Free player

-No forums

-Cant wear best gear

-Limited warzones (only 5 a week), flashpoints ( 3 a week)

-No raids

-Limited customer service

-Auction restrictions

- cant level to 55 unless you buy the "Expansion"

If you wanna PVP, its best if you just subscribe!

• zorthekzorthek Member Posts: 5
    SWTOR is not a Open World PvP MMO. Neither is it balanced nor has it any so called "contend". You can run around an have some ganking here and there, but its just for fun.
  • GMan33GMan33 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    SWTOR is a epic failure in world pvp. They had the perfect IP, settings and everything to truly make a wonderful open world pvp game. But they could not have made a worse, pathetic attempt at it then they did. All they have for PvP really, is instanced, useless battlegrounds that dont mean anything. Its sad. Stay away from this mess of a game.
  • AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

BW could encourage world pvp by giving rewards for kills. As it stands now, there is no incentive for world pvp.

The other problem is the engine just will not support larger groups of players for world pvp.

Maybe some of this will change with 2.4, which they have designated as a pvp update.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by GMan33
    SWTOR is a epic failure in world pvp. They had the perfect IP, settings and everything to truly make a wonderful open world pvp game. But they could not have made a worse, pathetic attempt at it then they did. All they have for PvP really, is instanced, useless battlegrounds that dont mean anything. Its sad. Stay away from this mess of a game.

whats the problem? you can go to a special instance , designed specifically for your needs

you can farm special tokens, for special PVP gear

if they had let you gank other players at will, this game would have tanked even faster

and getting a stat debuff,,or whatever, because an elite team lost a map. does NOT motivate me ,

to get better at PVP

instead, it makes me unsub the game

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746
    I'm not sure if it's the kinda game you and your guild will be looking for but if you are looking for open world pvp then you could try PS2.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

*waves hand across face*

This is not the game your looking for, move on...

*cheesy star wars obi-one comment* but still stands

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• FruxyFruxy Member Posts: 32
    I want to love this game, but world PVP is awful, especially since the engine can't handle more than a few players on-screen at once.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by zorthek
    SWTOR is not a Open World PvP MMO.

Bioware is not even open world mmo let alone open world pvp.

Everything is instanced and probably will always be lol

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NyschaNyscha Member Posts: 8
    Many of those details should be familiar to anyone that's played a BioWare game in recent years, such as Mass Effect or  Dragon age II. However, The Old Republic owes less to past BioWare successes (including the related single-player role-playing game,star wars knight of the republic  than it does to the MMOGs that have come before. In fact, the license and a few other elements aside, the first hours of the game might have you thinking: "I've already played this game." You select from a number of humanoid races, none of which seems particularly unusual, given the breadth of unusual creatures to be found in Star Wars lore. You then choose a faction (Sith Empire or Galactic Republic) and one of eight classes (and after the starting area, an advanced class).
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

Our guild has been drifting away from GW2 because of the changes to WvW.  So we are looking for another game with world PvP to play until ESO comes out.  SWTOR is on our list to check out.

At the time of launch, I remember hearing a lot of criticisms of their world PvP (which takes place on Illum I believe?).

So my question is:  how is the state of world PvP on SWTOR now?  Have the bugs been ironed out?  Is balance acceptable?  What are the prospects for long-term play?

Also, what is the effect of F2P on PvP.  Are there any serious P2W concerns, and how much will someone have to spend to participate?

Last I saw it was still max level geared ganksquads vs the lonesome quester leveling up.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• JRVthatsMEJRVthatsME Member Posts: 17
    These meant to be something for pvp players coming in game update 2.4 which will be released in October as mentioned here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVevWDdgt40&feature=c4-overview&list=UUBGBXQmTRZ0uwfxvcCMfz_A
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

Well starting tuesday we will have the next incarnation of the Gree event , but you might wanna speed level with your guild starting well now , try get to at least 50 - 55. The event is on Ilum but it isn't world pvp , but has a section in it for pvp only , the event lasts 2 weeks. As others have said there are no world pvp rewards atm , but also as some people have pointed out in October I think the 2nd , you will have 4v4 ranked arena warzones , which should be fun. Get leveling ! The event is 50 - 55 to participate.  Also a new warzone on Alderaan in 2 weeks time.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There really isn't world PVP, or any mass PVP in SWTOR, sadly.

"World" PVP was removed during design when planets were segregated into faction instances for each planet, and when Ilum was a framerate nightmare, that also was removed.  Ilum, though horribile, was sort of fun, but will never return - it gave EA quite the stink (< 1 fps will do that)

Closest thing to world PVP in this game is maybe 8 vs 8 battlegrounds .. that's worldly enough for dedicated SW fans, apparently.  I'm a SW fan, but apparently not worldly.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by HoiPoloi

Last I saw it was still max level geared ganksquads vs the lonesome quester leveling up.

heh,,stranglethorn vale, anyone?

thats why i started fresh on a PVE server

and with OPVP, you practically invite them to wipe the Whole newbie zone

now tell me,,how can i enjoy my game, if my questgiver is dead?