Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: MMORPG.com's E3 2013 Awards

Comments

• NefarioNefario Member Posts: 6
    The fact you ignored Final Fantasy XIV makes me want to never visit this site again ... on the other hand, i like your site design and frequent editorials.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Ok Bill, if we ONLY included games that ACTUALLY presented at E3 (PUBLICLY), what would be the Best of Show??

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I just hope SOE extracted some of the neat aspects of their prior games and improved upon them, in addition to adding new stuff.  Star Wars Galaxies had a lot of awesome sandbox features to draw from and improve upon which could have given them an huge advantage during development.  

I, for one, can't wait to poop my pants in August.  I particularly loved the part where Bill said it was head and shoulders beyond all of the current offerings at the show.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Nefario
    The fact you ignored Final Fantasy XIV makes me want to never visit this site again ... on the other hand, i like your site design and frequent editorials.

Honestly I only come here because of the color scheme for the forums.

A quick look at past games Bill Murphy has hyped to similar proportions is all one needs to do to take anything he says with a grain of salt.

• AleesiaIarxidorAleesiaIarxidor Member UncommonPosts: 7

No Final Fantasy XIV : ARR mentioned anywhere?

ArcheAge looks interesting, but as of late, it's a 'Falling Star' in Korea.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Destiny i never heard of looks ok but scales badly at a distance.The graphics looked like a fake texture painted on the building at the player wasn't that far away.Up close everything looks good from player to weapons to effects to visuals,sort of looks like an old Half Life mod to be honest.

AA i already know quite a bit about.I think Rising Star is a good fit,been a huge hit in korea but is still rising here.

Warhammer is MUCH too far away,so much can change from now till then,systems get changed removed.

Most anticipated :TESO i definitely would not say it is the most anticipated not even close.I for example probably won't even try it as i don't have much faith for it or Bethesda or their parent company Zenimax.

Eq Next:This is the real baffling one,if it is BEST of SHOW ,where is the video to show us?Is there an embedded video that is just not working?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ArcticnoonArcticnoon Member Posts: 141
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    The Division should have won Best Hybrid-MMO.

I agree 100% The Division mops the floor with destiny. I was watching E3 live via stream and getting ready for work, all at once I was mezmerized by this game I couldnt guess the tilt of. Almost made me late for work watching a game that was more polished than most games at E3. Ask any real shooter fan an they will put it above Destiny on their list.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Why show the press Everquest Next, and not the public?

If its to protect the industry secrets, they should show nobody, seriously.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

I agree 100% The Division mops the floor with destiny. I was watching E3 live via stream and getting ready for work, all at once I was mezmerized by this game I couldnt guess the tilt of. Almost made me late for work watching a game that was more polished than most games at E3. Ask any real shooter fan an they will put it above Destiny on their list.

I'm not even a shooter fan and that game looks better than any shooter I've seen.  Just the idea that someone can come in and provide support on their mobile device (that helicopter) in real time is awesome and is real innovation.

The rest of the list is okay, but putting EQ:N on best of show was a cheap move in my opinion and unfair to the rest that actually had to face public scrutiny.  EQN could have got an honorable mention or an OMG, but hyping it at this point just makes it all sound like blather just for the sake of talking and excitement.

Anyone who didn't watch The Division gameplay from E3 should open a new tab and watch it RIGHT NOW :)

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578
    Originally posted by wizyy
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Arcticnoon

I'm not even a shooter fan and that game looks better than any shooter I've seen.  Just the idea that someone can come in and provide support on their mobile device (that helicopter) in real time is awesome and is real innovation.

The rest of the list is okay, but putting EQ:N on best of show was a cheap move in my opinion and unfair to the rest that actually had to face public scrutiny.  EQN could have got an honorable mention or an OMG, but hyping it at this point just makes it all sound like blather just for the sake of talking and excitement.

Anyone who didn't watch The Division gameplay from E3 should open a new tab and watch it RIGHT NOW :)

The Division was the one game that really stood out for me personally.

There wasn't enough of a presence at E3 by TESO, Wildstar, or EQNext to warrant any kind of award from E3. 

It's fine to have those games as anticipated or whatever title you want from them but not from the actual E3 convention.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by H3deon

so cant we just cut out July already, and call it August? ><

I know right >< cant wait for august to roll round.

You are all going to poop yourselves.

No matter what people say about SOE they make some great games, yes they make mistakes but so do other devs. Just look at EQ and how it's still running today and multiple expansions.

Show me a dev company that can even come close to that, none.

And that's not even mentioning EQ2.

Hopefully they will be at GamesCom and i can get to play a demo of EQN.

NCSOFT (L1, L2)...EA (UO)..SE (FFXI)..Funcom (AO)..Turbine (Asherons Call)

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I'm sorry MMORPG.com, but I think it's completely unfair to give something best of show that wasn't even show to the public.  That's really weak.  Also so much for Sony waiting to show EQN to their "fans" first at SoE Fanfaire when they clearly showed off the game to the press (which can't even talk about it, what's the point of THAT anyway?) first.

Also find it strange Warhammer 40k got most innovative when I think The Crew (a MMO racing game) was much more ambitious and innovative and no mention of The Division (my personal best in show) at all. :(

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357
    No FFXIV:ARR on the list... What a massive joke. Truly amazing.
    Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

No matter what people say about SOE they make some great games, yes they make mistakes but so do other devs. Just look at EQ and how it's still running today and multiple expansions.

Show me a dev company that can even come close to that, none.

And that's not even mentioning EQ2.

Hopefully they will be at GamesCom and i can get to play a demo of EQN.

Lineage / NcSoft

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• NoLimit5401NoLimit5401 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Not to be a total dick, but I did not look at any of the games or whatever was listed above. This is because after mmorpg.coms reviews of best and worst mmos of the year + their hate for a game I have never played (Scarlett Blade), I have lost all respect for any of the opinions of the people who work/write for this site. It is very disappointing for me too, as I have come to this regularly since 2003.

I just come to browse the forums now and as of this post, I guess voice my disapproval for the direction this site is heading recently.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

so in august i'm going to be quite possibly playing release of ARR, betas of both AA and EQN.

um,, i am going to need to save-up some sick days.  a lot of them.  and in late august / early september i'll need them for school AND work...

i wonder if i am allowed to "call out sick" because "eqn made me poop myself" :)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by Ayulin
    Originally posted by vesuvias

Wow, this is bizzare. Getting beyond the whole "wrongness" of you "best of showing" a title that wasn't shown. I tend to float with you Bill on your hype trains. I loved SWTOR and GW2 for what they were, I still think GW2 mechanics are the way forward. My memories of EQ1 were fond but puncuated with what I thought was an overly player punishing and far too time consuming design decisions in the core product. 

I think MMORPG.com also voted EQN as their "most anticipated", or "most wanted" in another similar article some time ago, and this was at a time when no one knew much of anything about it, beyond SOE's very vague promises of how it would be the world's biggest sandbox.

Still, it is cool that the reveal will be on my birthday :p

Yeah so I'm sure that Bill Murphy isn't biased at all.

Before this great "behind the scenes look at E3" that really no one else is hyping other than him, he names it the MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF 2013!!!!!! Even though it most likely won't come out this year and they never said iat would (and he notes in that article that he didn't even include many other MMO's because they weren't launching in 2013).

Now he has supposedly seen amazing footage of the game that will change the world FOREVER, but you know he can't talk about it and we should just all trust him because he is such an objective professional.

QFT

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    No Pirate 101? Surely they were the best game of E3.

Serious?  If so, I hope you realize that some game marketed for 12 year old will never make a serious list.

As for EQNext taking the top prize I am excited because I hope they can pull it off.  As long as the game features a PvE centric role (Would prefer zero PvP) and no reliance on Forced Grouping (2 notions not normally associated with Everquest). I will be happy.  Cautiously guarded is my state of mind right now.

I don't know about Destiny I am far more interested in seeing what's up with The Division.  It looks to be freaking amazing and is IMO one of the bright spots at this show.

No, it twas sarcasm.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

please please please say this will be released before christmas.....

• Ladrann27Ladrann27 Member Posts: 43

While I am very much looking forward to see what EQN has to offer, I think it should not be on a best of list if the game did not have any real presence at E3.

Still, I cannot wait untill August to see what SOE has planned for us. I think there are many people expecting different things, so my guess is many people will be excited about the game but there will also be many that will be dissapointed.

Only time will tell, lets hope for the best as the MMORPG genre is in need of a big change.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Ladrann27

While I am very much looking forward to see what EQN has to offer, I think it should not be on a best of list if the game did not have any real presence at E3.

Still, I cannot wait untill August to see what SOE has planned for us. I think there are many people expecting different things, so my guess is many people will be excited about the game but there will also be many that will be dissapointed.

Only time will tell, lets hope for the best as the MMORPG genre is in need of a big change.

Apparently, what I've been told by other forum members here, the award can go to any game the writer of the article sees. So if someone showed Bill some screen shots of a new Leisure Suit Larry game on their iPhone, Bill could award that game the Best of the Show, even tho nobody but him saw the game and who gives a crap about the other developers who worked for weeks/months prepping for the E3 conference to promote their games.

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    YES! Now I know that I can keep my hype for EQN!
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Apparently, what I've been told by other forum members here, the award can go to any game the writer of the article sees. So if someone showed Bill some screen shots of a new Leisure Suit Larry game on their iPhone, Bill could award that game the Best of the Show, even tho nobody but him saw the game and who gives a crap about the other developers who worked for weeks/months prepping for the E3 conference to promote their games.

Maybe the "best in show" he's referring to was the double-D's he was snorting the blow from?

Just sayin'. If we're going to dive into paranoid conspiracy fantasies, let's go whole hawg.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Hrmm.. you know, between EQN, Titan and World of Darkness... I would have given it to WoD.   Of course I wasn't actually AT the show... oh wait... netiher were any of these games...

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by Ladrann27

Perhaps you should register your own domain, create a website with multiples of thousands of visitors a day, get an E3 press pass, then go visit the booths and talk to the developers that are all there and then finally... You can choose your own best of E3? :) hell you could even do that right now, as you don't require any backing in order to make your own choice.

Until we can see EQN we won't know exactly why it is deserving of this title by MMORPG.com, but I sure as hell doubt that any of the developers with their presentations care about getting an MMORPG.com award for Best at E3 when that sure as hell does not guarantee success, great game or even lotsa money.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter