Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

E3 - Best of Show

Comments

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Rohnert Park, CAPosts: 848Member
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64

I read it. as far as the public is concerned, EQ Next doesn't exist either. We know NOTHING about it.

Right.  So your comment doesn't make sense.  MMORPG.com hasn't seen Titan.  What they have seen is a preview of EQNext.  Now if they're lying.  You'll know come August.

The point is the article/award was for best of show for E3. Not best of upcoming games Bill has seen behind the curtain. If EQ Next didn't participate in E3, then they should be excluded from any "awards" for E3. I'd like to know what game WAS the best of E3. Not best of SOE in August... 

That's all I'm saying. I hope EQ Next is the next most awesome MMO ever created, but until they actually SHOW us something, not just Bill behind closed doors, we will don't know. And creating all this extra hype isn't doing anyone any favors. If the game is good, hype won't matter. People will come in droves.

• RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXPosts: 3,480Member Uncommon

All I could do is hope, nothing more...

EQ was a masterpiece in it's time, still going and accomplished nearly 20 expansions since it launched back in 1999. Despite all the other nonsense SOE has produced or done, I still have hope.

I was waiting for ArcheAge and The Elder Scrolls Online, but frankly, I'm just not as excited about either one anymore as I used to be, at least not TESO.

I'm happy with LOTRO, GW2 and TSW for the moment since F2P seems to be where it's at.

I can't go back to WoW, no way. So here's hoping that EQN is a pay to play subscription based game that I can really get back into and discover, just like I did when EQ came out.

We shall see... we... shall... see.

• DrakynnDrakynn The Pas, MBPosts: 2,030Member

I read it. as far as the public is concerned, EQ Next doesn't exist either. We know NOTHING about it.

Right.  So your comment doesn't make sense.  MMORPG.com hasn't seen Titan.  What they have seen is a preview of EQNext.  Now if they're lying.  You'll know come August.

I doubt they are lying and I'm not a conspiracy theorist.But closed door demos even if they are hands on are usually tightly controlled and limited demos that in the past have not been indicative of the whole product on release.Also it's not like staff on this site hasn't been guilty of getting over hyped on a game before or been wrong.

They are certainly free to give any game they want an award but without any evidence and based on said controlled demo we have no basis to agree with them and every right to withhold judgement and question.

• MothanosMothanos ArnhemPosts: 1,860Member Uncommon

Kinda strange when no footage is shown and only a select group of people where there ?
    Untill the game is actualy played by beta tester i would temper your hype....
    As history has a record of what happens to mmo's that climped the high horse only to fall down soon after.

Seeing is believing, not impressed with a closed door presentation and "winning" E3.

• plaxidiaplaxidia SwedenPosts: 171Member Uncommon

I realize they are different entities of the same MAJOR corporation but... When we saw which way Sony went with PS4 we were all (well those of us who play on consoles as well as pc's) worshiping their reveal and saying how it was worth the wait.

I feel like maybe this will be similar. I hope anyway. I am really looking forward to something I can dig into for a few years. The buy and play for 3 or 4 months thing I have been doing off and on the last 3 years is getting old.

Still have my EQ2 sub though.. Hmmm...

As for Bill giving them best of show with what HE saw of the game. That's his prerogative. Maybe when we all see it in August we will agree, maybe not. But its not our choice to make anyway so whats the fuss? :)

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Except Titan doesn't exist and MMORPG.com got to see EQNext preview.  Please read the actual article first.

Kind of like Star Wars The Old Republic. That went really well and delivered in spades.

We don't need to shit all over EQN or stop being interested.  We do need to stop hyping games with no real information.  We have some concept blurbs and vague references and that's it.  It's really easy to compete when you don't actually have to show yourself along with the competition.

i agree - its helpful to see WHY a game was chosen for best of show

• vesuviasvesuvias No Where, WAPosts: 147Member

One of the interesting "unsaid" things we might be able to derive from this is that: Bill likes what he sees. While that is a fairly unspecific statement. There is "some" information in it.

What other games has Bill hyped into stratosphere?

I think this implies at least indirectly that EQNext won't be EQ mechanics with a new coat of paint (it doesn't "seem" to match his tastes). I really liked both SWTOR and GW2 so I guess my tastes align positively with Bill's tastes. And this concept alone (since that is all I have to go on) makes me think that EQNext will have something for me.

• DullahanDullahan Posts: 2,053Member Uncommon

The point is the article/award was for best of show for E3. Not best of upcoming games Bill has seen behind the curtain. If EQ Next didn't participate in E3, then they should be excluded from any "awards" for E3. I'd like to know what game WAS the best of E3. Not best of SOE in August... 

That's all I'm saying. I hope EQ Next is the next most awesome MMO ever created, but until they actually SHOW us something, not just Bill behind closed doors, we will don't know. And creating all this extra hype isn't doing anyone any favors. If the game is good, hype won't matter. People will come in droves.

Its a good thing, don't get it twisted.

It speaks volumes, and it says that this sneak peak cast a huge shadow over everything else that was on display, so much so, they were compelled to do something unconventional like give it best in show.

Its a statement.  One that excites me.

• BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,938Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by vesuvias

One of the interesting "unsaid" things we might be able to derive from this is that: Bill likes what he sees. While that is a fairly unspecific statement. There is "some" information in it. What other games has Bill hyped into stratosphere? I think this implies at least indirectly that EQNext won't be EQ mechanics with a new coat of paint (it doesn't "seem" to match his tastes). I really liked both SWTOR and GW2 so I guess my tastes align positively with Bill's tastes. And this concept alone (since that is all I have to go on) makes me think that EQNext will have something for me.

And, once again, Bill fails to mention his cozy relationship with one or more SOE people, when hyping up one of their games to the skies. Giving an "award" to a game not even officially there: must be a first.
  • William12William12 Saint paul, MNPosts: 680Member
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hype meter through the roof.

That's how you do it, then send some employees to all mmo community forums to post threads portraying as players about it and the job is done.

Real fun is to see if they manage to keep the community ingame after 2 months once the game goes Live.

Looking forward to the first movie with actual ingame footage.

Wow!

I wish I was employed by SOE. I'm currently unemployed, living in Sweden and looking for a job in transportation. Oh, and this will raise questions. I do have a valid greencard. :)

So, hire me SOE, and I will move tomorrow.

Hahaha :)

Do you know C++ and other programming languages ?   If so they're hiring lol.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member
    Originally posted by plaxidia

As for Bill giving them best of show with what HE saw of the game. That's his prerogative. Maybe when we all see it in August we will agree, maybe not. But its not our choice to make anyway so whats the fuss? :)

That's my point right here.  This is Best of Show of E3 for MMORPG.com

Not Best of Show of E3 for me or you or anyone else.

They saw the game and this is what they decided to award it.  The game does exist and they like it.  It would be nice to see it for myself to draw my own conclusion.  Until then, I will be really hyped to see what they show come August; not for the game itself.  Not yet anyways.

• ArconaArcona VanlosePosts: 1,185Member

@DaveGeorgeson

Director of Development for the EverQuest Franchise at SOE

quotes from twitter...

Awesome! EQN gets Best of Show at E3! Thanks, mmorpg.com! Go Team Norrath!

Nothing was shown *publicly*. There was a little room in the booth where very few & select groups got a preview!

We didn't want to have any press from E3 at all, but when awards were offered, we couldn't say no. :)

https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud MalmoPosts: 369Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by William12
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hype meter through the roof.

That's how you do it, then send some employees to all mmo community forums to post threads portraying as players about it and the job is done.

Real fun is to see if they manage to keep the community ingame after 2 months once the game goes Live.

Looking forward to the first movie with actual ingame footage.

Wow!

I wish I was employed by SOE. I'm currently unemployed, living in Sweden and looking for a job in transportation. Oh, and this will raise questions. I do have a valid greencard. :)

So, hire me SOE, and I will move tomorrow.

Hahaha :)

Do you know C++ and other programming languages ?   If so they're hiring lol.

I wish! :)

Nah, I'm pretty screwed in that department. I'm one of those guys that know a little bit about a lot of things, computer related, however, nothing that would earn me a salary, I think.

I do have 20 years experience as a professional driver, lol. :)

Thanks for suggesting that though. :)

• ArconaArcona VanlosePosts: 1,185Member
  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,195Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nadia

Except Titan doesn't exist and MMORPG.com got to see EQNext preview.  Please read the actual article first.

Kind of like Star Wars The Old Republic. That went really well and delivered in spades.

We don't need to shit all over EQN or stop being interested.  We do need to stop hyping games with no real information.  We have some concept blurbs and vague references and that's it.  It's really easy to compete when you don't actually have to show yourself along with the competition.

i agree - its helpful to see WHY a game was chosen for best of show

I'm an EQ2 fan and I'm really looking forward to EQN.  If Bill and crew got a preview and are excited I want to hear about it.  It is the "best of show" thing I think that went too far.  And since this isn't my first SoE rodeo, I've learned to be pretty cautious.

This isn't a huge deal though.  The hype will continue and in 40 something more days we'll know more.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Xenia, OHPosts: 951Member

EQNext did participate at E3 behind closed doors. E3 is a media and industry only event. Not everything shown at E3 is open door.

• MajiinXMajiinX new hyde park, NYPosts: 89Member
    I trust the MMORPG.com staffs judgement I think for them to name EQN best of the show they had to have been shown something pretty damn awesome to win best of show over ESO and Wildstar.
  • aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    The less you know, the better it looks.

Pretty much this ^.

Rule #1 to making things look good. Hide as much as possible.

• IadienIadien Charleston, WVPosts: 638Member

Why do people not understand that this is MMORPG.com's award, and not the public's award? Would you rather MMORPG.com give the award to some other game that we know about, even though the staff knows they liked something more? lol

Originally posted by Iadien

Why do people not understand that this is MMORPG.com's award, and not the public's award? Would you rather MMORPG.com give the award to some other game that we know about, even though the staff knows they liked something more? lol

I would like the award to go to one of the "contestants" at E3.

• jdnycjdnyc Long Island City, NYPosts: 1,696Member

I would like the award to go to one of the "contestants" at E3.

When will you understand that E3 is not a public show?  It's a press event.  It's up to the companies how and with whom they show their games to the press.  MMORPG saw EQNext info and for them EQNext is a "contestant."

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,195Member Uncommon

So even less reason for us to pay attention to E3 at all then right?  It's already become a "whatever" in the industry compared to its former glory.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member
    Originally posted by aesperus

Pretty much this ^.

That only works until I get naked; then the truth is revealed.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr AberdeenPosts: 306Member

So even less reason for us to pay attention to E3 at all then right?  It's already become a "whatever" in the industry compared to its former glory.

E3 has always been a press and media event, there never was any "former glory" I'm afraid.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by aesperus

Pretty much this ^.

That only works until I get naked; then the truth is revealed.

Lights OFF, always!!