Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just 10 silly questions

13»

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Originally posted by The1ceQueen
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by Kayo83
    I didnt get much of an open world feel. Its all instanced. Even the cities have instances in them. Maybe it opens up later but for now its pretty much how its done in previous FF games. Ul'dah , for example, has 3 sections to it IIRC. The sorrounding areas where mobs are, Thanalan, has at least 2 separate instances (Central and Western Thanalan). Hell even navigating through the map has you clicking on separate sections.

Mind you the zones are of decent size so Im not saying its a bad thing. Honestly, I dont get whats so good about "open worlds" anyway. There is still plenty to explore, do, find and while there are "zoning portals" at different corners of each map the instances themselves are wide open areas. Im just saying ... its not a seamless open-world trek from start to finish.

Ugh, instanced to hell :(

I have a few questions too. Is it a quest and gear grind mmo?

What else is there to do besides quest and kill mobs?

the instances are quite large and why dont ppl get it? Instance = better server stability! as well as some other things.

Basically yes it is.. it is a standard "theme park" MMO but as I said in a previous post fun enough to warrant the low pricing and offers lots of things to do one one char. Outside of killing/questing the crafting system is pretty cool, the norm with a cool twist that I cant really explain.

oGMo really said the instance/zone part WAY better than I

Thanks for the response. I'll pass on it then, I'm just not a big fan of instancing and I've done the quest/gear grind already enough.

It's not instancing, Jesus Christ.  ZONES open world ZONES that is not an instance.

Do you know what an instance is?  An instance is somethign created for a player that isolates them from the rest of the playerbase for a time while they play content that is created JUST FOR THEM and disappears when they leave.

A zone in an MMO is not an INSTANCE.  Every zone in FFXI, EQ, DAoC, was not an instance.  Come on people for F*&^'s sake.

Look, I know you like the game and are trying to defend it but please don't do this....

You know what he meant. Sure you can call out semantics but you,me and him all know he was talking about "ZONES" and not single player "INSTANCES".

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by ariboersma
    Originally posted by Kayo83
    I didnt get much of an open world feel. Its all instanced. Even the cities have instances in them. Maybe it opens up later but for now its pretty much how its done in previous FF games. Ul'dah , for example, has 3 sections to it IIRC. The sorrounding areas where mobs are, Thanalan, has at least 2 separate instances (Central and Western Thanalan). Hell even navigating through the map has you clicking on separate sections.

Mind you the zones are of decent size so Im not saying its a bad thing. Honestly, I dont get whats so good about "open worlds" anyway. There is still plenty to explore, do, find and while there are "zoning portals" at different corners of each map the instances themselves are wide open areas. Im just saying ... its not a seamless open-world trek from start to finish.

Ugh, instanced to hell :(

I have a few questions too. Is it a quest and gear grind mmo?

What else is there to do besides quest and kill mobs?

the instances are quite large and why dont ppl get it? Instance = better server stability! as well as some other things.

Basically yes it is.. it is a standard "theme park" MMO but as I said in a previous post fun enough to warrant the low pricing and offers lots of things to do one one char. Outside of killing/questing the crafting system is pretty cool, the norm with a cool twist that I cant really explain.

oGMo really said the instance/zone part WAY better than I

Thanks for the response. I'll pass on it then, I'm just not a big fan of instancing and I've done the quest/gear grind already enough.

It's not instancing, Jesus Christ.  ZONES open world ZONES that is not an instance.

Do you know what an instance is?  An instance is somethign created for a player that isolates them from the rest of the playerbase for a time while they play content that is created JUST FOR THEM and disappears when they leave.

A zone in an MMO is not an INSTANCE.  Every zone in FFXI, EQ, DAoC, was not an instance.  Come on people for F*&^'s sake.

Look, I know you like the game and are trying to defend it but please don't do this....

You know what he meant. Sure you can call out semantics but you,me and him all know he was talking about "ZONES" and not single player "INSTANCES".

It is not semantics because they don't mean anywhere near the same thing.  So anyone who actually plays an MMORPG would want the two distinguished.  I also don't know that he is talking about zones, I think he doesn't know what he is talking about clearly because he calls it instances.

It is not semantics because they don't mean anywhere near the same thing.  So anyone who actually plays an MMORPG would want the two distinguished.  I also don't know that he is talking about zones, I think he doesn't know what he is talking about clearly because he calls it instances.

I know they don't mean the same thing. He is obviously not talking about the game being a single player instance all the time, its extremely clear they are talking about how the areas are zoned off from each other. When you make a fuss about what he called it when its obvious what he meant it just looks bad on FF fans, why? because just like you are doing they will come over here with a cheap argument about how all FF fans are horrible....he doesn't like the zones, big deal move one.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

1.  How active is the new combat system?

It feels much more active than FFXI was, but is still somewhat similar. The pacing is very much dictated by global cooldowns, but there are a good amount of skills that involve proper positioning. There are also skills that require you to move out of the way if you don't want to get hit.

2. How good are the stories?

This is hard to say. For the most part they seem the same as before Reborn, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of differences. Being beta, I'm trying to avoid paying too much attention to the story, so I can appreciate it more at launch. Parts of it do feel fairly epic, while other parts leave you going 'wtf did i just watch!?'.

3. Is there any kind of open world feeling?

The world feels big, but as for 'open world' this really depends on what that means to you. It's a lot like how FFXI was, if that helps. Lots of zone separations, and dungeon / storyline instances, but everyone is in the same zones.

4. Is there a lot of grinding required to level.. (yes with default quests, questing can be boring and feel like a grind to)?

Depends. Sometimes it can feel like a grind. There are a lot of quests, there are also leves / monster hunting missions. If you plan on lvling a lot of jobs, you can run into situations where you literally run out of quests in an area. When that happens you may have to resort to camping mobs for exp via EXP Chains. That said, lvling is fairly fast. Especially if you're in a group.

5. How is PvP?

I haven't experienced any pvp in this game. I'm not even sure if it's available. Final Fantasy games aren't really known for PvP, so if that's a big deal for you I'd look elsewhere.

6. How lively does the world feel out of combat?

The world feels pretty alive whether fighting or not. The towns feel very active, and there's also people crafting, traveling, etc.

7. How good is NPC AI, will they continously surprise with their actions?

Don't expect enemies like Last of Us. The enemies in FF are fairly predictable and have very scripted attacks. Some fights can be pretty challenging, though.

8. Are the main storie quests voice over?

For the most part, no.

9. What hardware is needed to run max settings with 30-40 fps at full HD?

10. How much team play and cooperation is needed?

Early on, not much. It does get a lot harder as you lvl up, though.

Answers above.

Basically, expect a game very similar to FFXI in a  lot of ways, with better UI, better graphics, and a slightly updated / streamlined combat system. It's a very fun game, but don't expect a game that blows every other game out of the water in every aspect. It's a beautiful game, but mechanics wise it's kinda like a simplified version of FFXI.

I know they don't mean the same thing. He is obviously not talking about the game being a single player instance all the time, its extremely clear they are talking about how the areas are zoned off from each other. When you make a fuss about what he called it when its obvious what he meant it just looks bad on FF fans, why? because just like you are doing they will come over here with a cheap argument about how all FF fans are horrible....he doesn't like the zones, big deal move one.

I don't care if his argument is that he wants a seamelss world.

I don't care if he doesn't like instances because guess what, this game has instanced content.  It has a great deal of it.  Most all endgame is instanced.  It is a heavily instanced game.

But the game world is not instanced, zones are not instances and if you call them that then people are going to be confused and think this is like Vindictus.  You can have instanced zones, and open world zones.  The zones he was talking about are open world, there are others that are instanced.  Feel free to complain about them, feel free to complain about open world zones.  I'm not trying to silence complaints.  Just pointing out the distinction since you know, not everyone has played the game and can read this poster's mind like you can.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

To me it's an instanced zone if I have to go through a load screen to get to the next zone, no matter how little time it takes. Though I haven't played DAOC, UO, Asheron's Call, World of Warcraft in years, one of my favorite things about them was you could run from one end of the world to the other without going through a loading screen. THAT is what I like, and mmo's that aren't like that, I really don't like to play.

I asked if this game was the same and it was said they are instanced zones, so if it isn't then ok, but if there are loading screens between zones, then yes it's instanced to me.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

To me it's an instanced zone if I have to go through a load screen to get to the next zone, no matter how little time it takes. Though I haven't played DAOC, UO, Asheron's Call, World of Warcraft in years, one of my favorite things about them was you could run from one end of the world to the other without going through a loading screen. THAT is what I like, and mmo's that aren't like that, I really don't like to play.

I asked if this game was the same and it was said they are instanced zones, so if it isn't then ok, but if there are loading screens between zones, then yes it's instanced to me.

It is fine not to like something, but that doesn't make it something that it is not.

Instances are created.. you know what I just explained this.  They are not the same thing, I get you don't like loading screens but others don't like instances because you are isolated from the playerbase and you are playing in your own little bubble.  So please stop confusing these two very different concepts, as the zones are open world everyone in the game can go to them and see the same things.  That is not an instance, at all.  It is a zone.

It is fine not to like something, but that doesn't make it something that it is not.

Instances are created.. you know what I just explained this.  They are not the same thing, I get you don't like loading screens but others don't like instances because you are isolated from the playerbase and you are playing in your own little bubble.  So please stop confusing these two very different concepts, as the zones are open world everyone in the game can go to them and see the same things.  That is not an instance, at all.  It is a zone.

Besides the instanced zones FF is just another questing/gear grind so I have no interest in that either. Mmo's I like differs from yours, and I'm very picky and will only play certain mmo's that live up to the standards I have. I hold no ill thoughts to you because you differ in opinion, no need to get all pissy about it.

Dark Age of Camelot

Besides the instanced zones FF is just another questing/gear grind so I have no interest in that either. Mmo's I like differs from yours, and I'm very picky and will only play certain mmo's that live up to the standards I have. I hold no ill thoughts to you because you differ in opinion, no need to get all pissy about it.

I'm not all pissy about it, I respect your opinion.  I'm not trying to convince you to play the game.

I'm trying to convince you to learn the difference between a ZONE

Zone- An area of the game world, seperated by a loading screen

and an Instance

Instance- A ZONE created SOLELY for the player/player's group not accessible by any other players, and disappearing once the party leaves.

Please tell me you understand what I am saying?  Again I think you are making a super decision not to play ARR because it is not for you.  It would be a TERRIBLE MMO for you if zones are something you really don't like to play.  I get that, I respect that I love it to death I think it is the most commendable stance I have ever seen on the internet, etc. etc. etc.

Instances and zones are not the same, you can have an instanced zone or you can have an open world zone.  But the word instance and the word zone are not synonyms.  Okay?  I'm sorry if I'm getting a little impatient here, but how many posts does it take???

Okay here is an example you will understand.

WoW has a SEAMLESS world, it is not zoned.  But WoW has lots of instanced content.  It has instanced zones created for players/group to do content, but the gameworld itself is SEAMLESS.

FFXIV:ARR has a ZONED world, it is not seamless.  AND it has instanced content.  So no matter what your definition of the word instance you will hate FFXIV:ARR, so see I'm not selling you anything. 

I'm just explaining to you the definition of words.  And I realize I sound like a dick doing it, but come on man just admit to the actual definition of the concepts, pretty please?

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I'm not all pissy about it, I respect your opinion.  I'm not trying to convince you to play the game.

and an Instance

Instance- A ZONE created SOLELY for the player/player's group not accessible by any other players, and disappearing once the party leaves.

Please tell me you understand what I am saying?  Again I think you are making a super decision not to play ARR because it is not for you.  It would be a TERRIBLE MMO for you if zones are something you really don't like to play.  I get that, I respect that I love it to death I think it is the most commendable stance I have ever seen on the internet, etc. etc. etc.

Instances and zones are not the same, you can have an instanced zone or you can have an open world zone.  But the word instance and the word zone are not synonyms.  Okay?  I'm sorry if I'm getting a little impatient here, but how many posts does it take???

WoW has a SEAMLESS world, it is not zoned.  But WoW has lots of instanced content.  It has instanced zones created for players/group to do content, but the gameworld itself is SEAMLESS.

FFXIV:ARR has a ZONED world, it is not seamless.  AND it has instanced content.  So no matter what your definition of the word instance you will hate FFXIV:ARR, so see I'm not selling you anything. 

I'm just explaining to you the definition of words.  And I realize I sound like a dick doing it, but come on man just admit to the actual definition of the concepts, pretty please?

He's trolling you, just look at how he keeps deliberately calling them instances... I do wish people wouldn't throw the incorrect terms around though as it confuses players that aren't as clued up on the game.

For the record FFXIV has a zoned world akin to GW2 or EQ2. An instanced world would be akin to GW1 where you see no other players outside your group in the world.

You're right Murugan but give it up, he's not worth it.

and an Instance

I understand what you're saying, perhaps my wording is a bit wrong. I like a seamless world that isn't instanced or zoned.

Dark Age of Camelot

and an Instance

I understand what you're saying, perhaps my wording is a bit wrong. I like a seamless world that isn't instanced or zoned.

Thank you, and I played Vanguard for years so I get exactly what you mean.  It was a big selling point for me then too.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

So i signed up for beta, sadly could not find my orriginal code, so signed up as a noob. 

But on the EU there is no word of open beta, it says i will get invited based upon the information i provided about my system.

So no open beta and no download link in europe.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

One major thing many are not speaking about is the Crafting/Gathering classes. Yes classes where you do not fight at all if you wish. Want to just be a Blacksmith, Carpenter, Botanist or Fisherman? Do it, sit in town all day and become the most kickass merchant you wanna be. Want to set up a cool ass restaurant as a Culinarian (another crafter class its the cooks of the game) Do it.  Carpenters help build furniture, bows, rooves (for houses) etc.

Honestly though if you want to really know about the game I suggest looking at the "Letter from the producer" videos on youtube, they all have been English subbed and are very detailed in what the game is going to provide. You won't be disappointed.

And again Beta 4 which is Open beta is in a month. You got plenty of time to watch the videos, trust me they are very very good.

So lets not be lazy people. You want to know go straight to these videos. It takes less than five minutes.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

I don't care if his argument is that he wants a seamelss world.

I don't care if he doesn't like instances because guess what, this game has instanced content.  It has a great deal of it.  Most all endgame is instanced.  It is a heavily instanced game.

But the game world is not instanced, zones are not instances and if you call them that then people are going to be confused and think this is like Vindictus.  You can have instanced zones, and open world zones.  The zones he was talking about are open world, there are others that are instanced.  Feel free to complain about them, feel free to complain about open world zones.  I'm not trying to silence complaints.  Just pointing out the distinction since you know, not everyone has played the game and can read this poster's mind like you can.

There is no such thing as "open world zones" they are either zones, instances or open world.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Wizardry

8. I am happy to hear there will be voice overs,i did not expect with with so many languages supported.

I've stumbled upon this a few times now, but never with an actual source. Is this officially confirmed, or just wishful thinking by the fans?

Voice overs would make such a difference for atmosphere, I didn't really know at first what was missing, but after a while it became really noticable that noone in the world ever actually talks.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Wizardry

8. I am happy to hear there will be voice overs,i did not expect with with so many languages supported.

I've stumbled upon this a few times now, but never with an actual source. Is this officially confirmed, or just wishful thinking by the fans?

Voice overs would make such a difference for atmosphere, I didn't really know at first what was missing, but after a while it became really noticable that noone in the world ever actually talks.

I think only the main quest will have voices at release.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

That's unfortunate .. and again lacking a source ;)

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Yes only the main story will be voiced...I hope the quality will be good though, cause the current VO for the opening is really bad