Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 - Best of Show

Comments

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    Originally posted by jdnyc

I read it. as far as the public is concerned, EQ Next doesn't exist either. We know NOTHING about it.

Right.  So your comment doesn't make sense.  MMORPG.com hasn't seen Titan.  What they have seen is a preview of EQNext.  Now if they're lying.  You'll know come August.

The point is the article/award was for best of show for E3. Not best of upcoming games Bill has seen behind the curtain. If EQ Next didn't participate in E3, then they should be excluded from any "awards" for E3. I'd like to know what game WAS the best of E3. Not best of SOE in August... 

That's all I'm saying. I hope EQ Next is the next most awesome MMO ever created, but until they actually SHOW us something, not just Bill behind closed doors, we will don't know. And creating all this extra hype isn't doing anyone any favors. If the game is good, hype won't matter. People will come in droves.

Its a good thing, don't get it twisted.

It speaks volumes, and it says that this sneak peak cast a huge shadow over everything else that was on display, so much so, they were compelled to do something unconventional like give it best in show.

Its a statement.  One that excites me.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by vesuvias

One of the interesting "unsaid" things we might be able to derive from this is that: Bill likes what he sees. While that is a fairly unspecific statement. There is "some" information in it. What other games has Bill hyped into stratosphere? I think this implies at least indirectly that EQNext won't be EQ mechanics with a new coat of paint (it doesn't "seem" to match his tastes). I really liked both SWTOR and GW2 so I guess my tastes align positively with Bill's tastes. And this concept alone (since that is all I have to go on) makes me think that EQNext will have something for me.

And, once again, Bill fails to mention his cozy relationship with one or more SOE people, when hyping up one of their games to the skies. Giving an "award" to a game not even officially there: must be a first.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hype meter through the roof.

That's how you do it, then send some employees to all mmo community forums to post threads portraying as players about it and the job is done.

Real fun is to see if they manage to keep the community ingame after 2 months once the game goes Live.

Looking forward to the first movie with actual ingame footage.

Wow!

I wish I was employed by SOE. I'm currently unemployed, living in Sweden and looking for a job in transportation. Oh, and this will raise questions. I do have a valid greencard. :)

So, hire me SOE, and I will move tomorrow.

Hahaha :)

Do you know C++ and other programming languages ?   If so they're hiring lol.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by plaxidia

As for Bill giving them best of show with what HE saw of the game. That's his prerogative. Maybe when we all see it in August we will agree, maybe not. But its not our choice to make anyway so whats the fuss? :)

That's my point right here.  This is Best of Show of E3 for MMORPG.com

Not Best of Show of E3 for me or you or anyone else.

They saw the game and this is what they decided to award it.  The game does exist and they like it.  It would be nice to see it for myself to draw my own conclusion.  Until then, I will be really hyped to see what they show come August; not for the game itself.  Not yet anyways.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

DaveGeorgeson

Director of Development for the EverQuest Franchise at SOE

quotes from twitter...

Awesome! EQN gets Best of Show at E3! Thanks, mmorpg.com! Go Team Norrath!

Nothing was shown *publicly*. There was a little room in the booth where very few & select groups got a preview!

We didn't want to have any press from E3 at all, but when awards were offered, we couldn't say no. :)

https://twitter.com/DaveGeorgeson

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by William12
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hype meter through the roof.

That's how you do it, then send some employees to all mmo community forums to post threads portraying as players about it and the job is done.

Real fun is to see if they manage to keep the community ingame after 2 months once the game goes Live.

Looking forward to the first movie with actual ingame footage.

Wow!

I wish I was employed by SOE. I'm currently unemployed, living in Sweden and looking for a job in transportation. Oh, and this will raise questions. I do have a valid greencard. :)

So, hire me SOE, and I will move tomorrow.

Hahaha :)

Do you know C++ and other programming languages ?   If so they're hiring lol.

I wish! :)

Nah, I'm pretty screwed in that department. I'm one of those guys that know a little bit about a lot of things, computer related, however, nothing that would earn me a salary, I think.

I do have 20 years experience as a professional driver, lol. :)

Thanks for suggesting that though. :)

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960

I read it. as far as the public is concerned, EQ Next doesn't exist either. We know NOTHING about it.

Right.  So your comment doesn't make sense.  MMORPG.com hasn't seen Titan.  What they have seen is a preview of EQNext.  Now if they're lying.  You'll know come August.

The point is the article/award was for best of show for E3. Not best of upcoming games Bill has seen behind the curtain. If EQ Next didn't participate in E3, then they should be excluded from any "awards" for E3. I'd like to know what game WAS the best of E3. Not best of SOE in August... 

That's all I'm saying. I hope EQ Next is the next most awesome MMO ever created, but until they actually SHOW us something, not just Bill behind closed doors, we will don't know. And creating all this extra hype isn't doing anyone any favors. If the game is good, hype won't matter. People will come in droves.

EQNext did participate at E3 behind closed doors. E3 is a media and industry only event. Not everything shown at E3 is open door.

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89
    I trust the MMORPG.com staffs judgement I think for them to name EQN best of the show they had to have been shown something pretty damn awesome to win best of show over ESO and Wildstar.
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    The less you know, the better it looks.

Pretty much this ^.

Rule #1 to making things look good. Hide as much as possible.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

Why do people not understand that this is MMORPG.com's award, and not the public's award? Would you rather MMORPG.com give the award to some other game that we know about, even though the staff knows they liked something more? lol

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Iadien

Why do people not understand that this is MMORPG.com's award, and not the public's award? Would you rather MMORPG.com give the award to some other game that we know about, even though the staff knows they liked something more? lol

I would like the award to go to one of the "contestants" at E3.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

I would like the award to go to one of the "contestants" at E3.

When will you understand that E3 is not a public show?  It's a press event.  It's up to the companies how and with whom they show their games to the press.  MMORPG saw EQNext info and for them EQNext is a "contestant."

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by aesperus

Pretty much this ^.

That only works until I get naked; then the truth is revealed.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Iadien

So even less reason for us to pay attention to E3 at all then right?  It's already become a "whatever" in the industry compared to its former glory.

E3 has always been a press and media event, there never was any "former glory" I'm afraid.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by aesperus

Pretty much this ^.

That only works until I get naked; then the truth is revealed.

Lights OFF, always!!

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

Why are so many shocked by this or think it is some marketing hype deal?

ESO: Skyrim + DAoC PvP/RvR elements

Wildstar: WoW 2.0

ArcheAge: Fresh but most likely won't crossover to NA well.

Warhammer: If done right, could be great, but not at a stage for anyone to really know.

Nothing too mind blowing or out of the box thinking going on in this list. All look to be promising and will attract players, but again they are just polish on previous models mixing in different elements.

"If" EQN is truely something original or forward thinking, it would win by default as the competition isn't really bringing it. This site and its staff are just what they are, nothing special going on here and to put all your faith behind or against them is silly.

They said they enjoyed what they saw and hopefully they are being honest and represent the general mindset of gamers. Too early to tell one way or another, SOE Live can't come soon enough. 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

If its the best game MMORPG.com saw, then it absolutely should be best in show, no?

Its not like SoE is paying them, they are the worst company when it comes to advertising their games.  EQ2 would probably have twice as many players as it does now if SoE ever bothered to market it in the last 8 years.  

• ShiftytShiftyt Member Posts: 24
    LoL  I was looking everywhere for my post... you moved it ..

Shiftyt

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Allein

Why are so many shocked by this or think it is some marketing hype deal?

ESO: Skyrim + DAoC PvP/RvR elements

Wildstar: WoW 2.0

ArcheAge: Fresh but most likely won't crossover to NA well.

Warhammer: If done right, could be great, but not at a stage for anyone to really know.

Nothing too mind blowing or out of the box thinking going on in this list. All look to be promising and will attract players, but again they are just polish on previous models mixing in different elements.

"If" EQN is truely something original or forward thinking, it would win by default as the competition isn't really bringing it. This site and its staff are just what they are, nothing special going on here and to put all your faith behind or against them is silly.

They said they enjoyed what they saw and hopefully they are being honest and represent the general mindset of gamers. Too early to tell one way or another, SOE Live can't come soon enough. 

They gave SWTOR good reviews. ....yeah

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139

2011 - Innovative: Dust, Anticipated: SWTOR, Best in Show: Defiance

2012: Innovative: Defiance, Anticipated: ESO, Best in Show: PS2

2013: Innovative: Warhammer 40k, Anticipated: ESO, Wildstar, Best in Show: EQN

Last 3 years, Best in Show has been a standout game that is different then the rest. Doesn't mean instant success, just that they liked it better then the rest, which seems to go with games doing their own thing.

Notice Anticipated is held by themepark, run of the mill games? Everyone wants to play them, yet no one ends of playing for long.

Most sites gave SWTOR good reviews. It was a good game but was ran poorly. Can't foresee the future and know what will happen, good or bad. Plenty of good games have had poor reviews and games hyped to the moon have been horrible, we all have differing opinions.

My point is that MMORPG.COM staff thought EQN was the best game at E3. Does that mean it was the "best" or will be? That is completely up to each of us to decide, but we can be a little more excited then we already were if we value this sites staff's opinions.

• MawneeMawnee Member UncommonPosts: 245

Someone leak something! I cant wait 6 more weeks!

• ZieglerZiegler Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by ignore_me

actually......

There was one lone reviewer for MMORPG that wrote a 6/10 review, during Beta for SWTOR, it was his first review ever published......he got fired a couple of days later....for an issue other than the poor review he gave of the most anticipated game......it had nothing to do with him writing a review of a game that had a poor result.

And he was right on with his review.

Now this whole....Best of Show for not showing....is laughable at the least....and is more so offensive to an intelligent person.

Thanks for the info, but your opinions, MMORPG, are worthless paid for shill and this really goes to prove it IMHO.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

One thing I've learned in my 14 years of MMO gaming... never trust the press.  They're always over-hyping games, and we've played some really crappy games in the past 5-6 years.  EQNext is the next big thing to be released, so naturally they want to get the first dibs to hype this one up.

EQ was my first MMO so it'll make me happy if they do release a blockbuster game.  But this is SOE we're talking about, so I think we have every right to be skeptical, especially for a game that was not shown.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Ziegler
    Originally posted by ignore_me

actually......

There was one lone reviewer for MMORPG that wrote a 6/10 review, during Beta for SWTOR, it was his first review ever published......he got fired a couple of days later....for an issue other than the poor review he gave of the most anticipated game......it had nothing to do with him writing a review of a game that had a poor result.

And he was right on with his review.

Now this whole....Best of Show for not showing....is laughable at the least....and is more so offensive to an intelligent person.

Thanks for the info, but your opinions, MMORPG, are worthless paid for shill and this really goes to prove it IMHO.

I find this thread disturbing. On the one hand if it is true that the game is that badass then that is good news. On the other hand I don't trust the objective reviewing skills.

The only thing that makes me optimistic is that it would seem to be against the odds to fuck up all the time.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011