Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

E3 - Best of Show

Comments

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    Originally posted by Silverbarr

Personally, we don't know what they saw behind the curtain, so we can't compare our notes on the other MMOs at E3 against EQN, and therefore we don't know what criteria it was that they based their decision upon. I'm not sure we also know what journalists were invited to the SOE showing of EQN and it may have been specific websites, etc.

Well, so far we know people from the Curse Network and MMORPG.com got to see it. I would imagine there are more. The most likely candidates would be Zam and Massively.

Nah no point in showing it to Massively or Ten Ton Hammer for that matter.Guaranteed to get a glowing reviews anyway.Only time you see negatives things from those websites is long after launch,after everyone has left and no one cares anymore.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by floreairfoot

The term "sandbox" changes it's definition based on who you're talking to...

I wonder what EQNext will actually end up being?

I've never been able to find the perfect balance between WOW and SWG, my two favorites.

Players who dont know what sand box means will give you all sorts of definitions on what sand box means. But the industry has a very set idea of what it really means. 

That's hilarious considering how many games in the past have been labelled sandbox instead of open world in the past.Industry is just as fractured over what constitutes a sandbox style game as fans.

Thats because there has been very few sandbox MMOs. At best some MMOs come out with 20% 30% 60% sandbox content. Sandbox is a very simple concept. Players can build, make, design content. You can do that with quests, story, housing, zones, classes. So people play SWG and talk about how much they loved the game because it was sandbox. So others go Ooo thats what it takes to be sandbox. Be a game like SWG and this is done with EVE and so on. When in fact only a % of the game was sandbox. My guess is EQN will not be even close to 100% sandbox. But I could be wrong!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Iadien

This speaks volumes. I dont think its right as they did not show anything. Kinda like having a race and giving gold to the fastest guy that didnt show up but it does speak volumes as to what they think of the game. Im getting really excited. 

MMORPG staff saw it, and it's their award. It doesn't really matter if we saw it or not.

This. Why does not knowing details for a few more months have everyone in cynical tizzy? At least we know it won't be a linear quest hub grinder. That's enough for me.
  • KuanshuKuanshu Member Posts: 272

Hows about we all enjoy our summers and wait to see what SOE brings that is revolutionary to the MMORPG genre...

Obviously Everquest was revolutionary and being there to witness it day one of launch I can surely attest.

Obviously those that viewed behind closed doors what they were going to offer the MMORPG gaming world was something worthy of Best in Show.

Why not let your imagination wonder meanwhile wandering around the world on your own adventures under the sun and stars until SOE lifts their dress, so to speak, so we can see the goodies :)

The question I have for ya'll can you really think outside the box, er rather sandbox :D

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    and the winner of this year's presidential debate: Abraham Lincoln
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Muke
    Originally posted by Bidwood
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hype meter through the roof.

That's how you do it, then send some employees to all mmo community forums to post threads portraying as players about it and the job is done.

Real fun is to see if they manage to keep the community ingame after 2 months once the game goes Live.

Looking forward to the first movie with actual ingame footage.

Wow!

I wish I was employed by SOE. I'm currently unemployed, living in Sweden and looking for a job in transportation. Oh, and this will raise questions. I do have a valid greencard. :)

So, hire me SOE, and I will move tomorrow.

Hahaha :)

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    Consider me officially hyped about this game. Best of show with no evidence? What did these guys see? Better than Wildstar and ESO? WHAT?!?! I'm clamoring for info. MUST. KNOW. MORE!!!!
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Originally posted by Nadia

we were quite simply blown away by every little detail

Commandant Lassard?

Sorry, too easy.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Stop with the consipracy theories.

I could just as easily say that the people upset about this are people from other press that didn't get the scoop.

This happens nowadays all the time in other things.  How is it not fair to the other games that EQNext was behind closed doors?  They showed it to MMORPG.  MMORPG got to see all the games.  They made a judgment.  Now if EQNext info turns out to be bad, then MMORPG's reputation is on the line.  The only thing not fair in this scenario is that other gaming press didn't get to see what MMORPG did.  /shrug

Honestly, I'm stunned that they're so bold in making the claims that they've made.  They know how abrasive the community here can be.  They seem pretty confident.  I would have to think there's something to back it up.

And for those that think MMORPG is being bought/paid for this.  Really?  You do know that we'll know they're full of crap or not come August 2nd right?

E3 - Best of Show: Blizzards Titan.

I guess everyone would be cool with that too...

• BrizlynBrizlyn Member UncommonPosts: 81

I've never been able to find the perfect balance between WOW and SWG, my two favorites.

Players who dont know what sand box means will give you all sorts of definitions on what sand box means. But the industry has a very set idea of what it really means. 

That's hilarious considering how many games in the past have been labelled sandbox instead of open world in the past.Industry is just as fractured over what constitutes a sandbox style game as fans.

Thats because there has been very few sandbox MMOs. At best some MMOs come out with 20% 30% 60% sandbox content. Sandbox is a very simple concept. Players can build, make, design content. You can do that with quests, story, housing, zones, classes. So people play SWG and talk about how much they loved the game because it was sandbox. So others go Ooo thats what it takes to be sandbox. Be a game like SWG and this is done with EVE and so on. When in fact only a % of the game was sandbox. My guess is EQN will not be even close to 100% sandbox. But I could be wrong!

If EQN ended up being 100% sandbox I think it would fail horribly.

I think 95% of the population likes sandboxy features, but doesn't care to create EVERYTHING.  I think a good mix, maybe 50/50 sandbox/structued, or 60/40 even, would be good, and would appeal to players who like both types of games.

And please, don't destroy the lore...Norrath is my favorite when it comes to mmo lore.

-Briz

Originally posted by Shadowguy64

Except Titan doesn't exist and MMORPG.com got to see EQNext preview.  Please read the actual article first.

Originally posted by jdnyc

Except Titan doesn't exist and MMORPG.com got to see EQNext preview.  Please read the actual article first.

I read it. as far as the public is concerned, EQ Next doesn't exist either. We know NOTHING about it.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

I wish I was employed by SOE. I'm currently unemployed, living in Sweden and looking for a job in transportation. Oh, and this will raise questions. I do have a valid greencard. :)

hire me SOE, and I will move tomorrow.

SOE's Job Board

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

How many major innovative MMOs has SOE not screwed up?

When I see a track record of games like Everquest, Star Wars Galaxies, Planetside, The Matrix Online, Everquest 2, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, Free Realms, DC Universe Online, and Planetside 2...

Man, does that make me excited...

Said no one ever.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Brizlyn

If EQN ended up being 100% sandbox I think it would fail horribly.

I think 95% of the population likes sandboxy features, but doesn't care to create EVERYTHING.  I think a good mix, maybe 50/50 sandbox/structued, or 60/40 even, would be good, and would appeal to players who like both types of games.

And please, don't destroy the lore...Norrath is my favorite when it comes to mmo lore.

-Briz

They have already said EQN is not a prequel or epilogue, its a  parallel universe where things can be very different. 

I read it. as far as the public is concerned, EQ Next doesn't exist either. We know NOTHING about it.

Right.  So your comment doesn't make sense.  MMORPG.com hasn't seen Titan.  What they have seen is a preview of EQNext.  Now if they're lying.  You'll know come August.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Storm_Cloud

hire me SOE, and I will move tomorrow.

SOE's Job Board

You're to kind Nadia, thanks for looking! :)

Hey, they could get a company limousine, and I could have that job. :)

Unless they hire "outside the box", that is, nothing computer related, I will unfortunately continue to be unemployed.

• BidwoodBidwood Member Posts: 554

Right.  So your comment doesn't make sense.  MMORPG.com hasn't seen Titan.  What they have seen is a preview of EQNext.  Now if they're lying.  You'll know come August.

This. Not so hard to understand, really.

The point is the article/award was for best of show for E3. Not best of upcoming games Bill has seen behind the curtain. If EQ Next didn't participate in E3, then they should be excluded from any "awards" for E3. I'd like to know what game WAS the best of E3. Not best of SOE in August... 

That's all I'm saying. I hope EQ Next is the next most awesome MMO ever created, but until they actually SHOW us something, not just Bill behind closed doors, we will don't know. And creating all this extra hype isn't doing anyone any favors. If the game is good, hype won't matter. People will come in droves.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I doubt they are lying and I'm not a conspiracy theorist.But closed door demos even if they are hands on are usually tightly controlled and limited demos that in the past have not been indicative of the whole product on release.Also it's not like staff on this site hasn't been guilty of getting over hyped on a game before or been wrong.

They are certainly free to give any game they want an award but without any evidence and based on said controlled demo we have no basis to agree with them and every right to withhold judgement and question.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Kinda strange when no footage is shown and only a select group of people where there ?
    Untill the game is actualy played by beta tester i would temper your hype....
    As history has a record of what happens to mmo's that climped the high horse only to fall down soon after.

Seeing is believing, not impressed with a closed door presentation and "winning" E3.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

I realize they are different entities of the same MAJOR corporation but... When we saw which way Sony went with PS4 we were all (well those of us who play on consoles as well as pc's) worshiping their reveal and saying how it was worth the wait.

I feel like maybe this will be similar. I hope anyway. I am really looking forward to something I can dig into for a few years. The buy and play for 3 or 4 months thing I have been doing off and on the last 3 years is getting old.

Still have my EQ2 sub though.. Hmmm...

As for Bill giving them best of show with what HE saw of the game. That's his prerogative. Maybe when we all see it in August we will agree, maybe not. But its not our choice to make anyway so whats the fuss? :)

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Kind of like Star Wars The Old Republic. That went really well and delivered in spades.

We don't need to shit all over EQN or stop being interested.  We do need to stop hyping games with no real information.  We have some concept blurbs and vague references and that's it.  It's really easy to compete when you don't actually have to show yourself along with the competition.

i agree - its helpful to see WHY a game was chosen for best of show

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

One of the interesting "unsaid" things we might be able to derive from this is that: Bill likes what he sees. While that is a fairly unspecific statement. There is "some" information in it.

What other games has Bill hyped into stratosphere?

I think this implies at least indirectly that EQNext won't be EQ mechanics with a new coat of paint (it doesn't "seem" to match his tastes). I really liked both SWTOR and GW2 so I guess my tastes align positively with Bill's tastes. And this concept alone (since that is all I have to go on) makes me think that EQNext will have something for me.