Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your favorite version of SWG?

ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

As the title says, what was your favorite version of the game? NGE, CU or the original?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Comments

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    While the end of the CU period was probably the cleanest version of SWG (ironically, there was a couple months of solid bug fixing right before the NGE nuke) the original version was still preferred. Notwithstanding the fact that I took a huge, huge hit when the CU was dumped on the game (I was an armorsmith... yeah), the original version was still preferable because it was "without levels" and had not been messed around with as much by the SOE tard circus. Pre-CU > CU > NGE.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I liked it in November 2003 when the cities were put into the game, before Jedi and before all the afkers and the crazy buffs and armour ruined the game that SOE chose to ignore and focus on breaking the game more.
  • JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652

For game play, I liked the mostly polished form of the CU because my target professions were working.  Pre-CU I had a defence build.

For things to do, when the game closed, there was so much stuff to do.  I saw the fishing badges and quests as a joke to Lucas Arts.  Why? Because by that time LA was refusing requests for content and SOE was stuck with working with what they had.  That aside, daily GCW missions, Heroics or just go out and PVP was a blast.  The down side was the population gating your activities.  I was a on an active server, however, and we consumed daily.  All that changed with the closure announcement.

RIP SWG.

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311
     spending time with large flightless birds has reminded me that pre-cu had some issues...SWG CU wasn't bad .
  • JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    have to say CU only becuase of how many things actually work by this time, and JTL was pretty good.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Right before people figured out the crafting system and how to craft great armor.  Up until that point, you could wear the stuff but it would kill you because it took so much health to wear a full suit.  And Doctors did not have their great buffs yet.  This made for a great PVP experience usually found at Anchorhead or Bestine.  There were some pretty good battles.  Creature Handlers were pretty powerful at that point with their three rancors, but not so powerful that you could not blast him in the head from afar.

Once if became Buff Wars, it was not so much fun.

When JTL was released was pretty good as well.  After that, it was all down hill even though the game actually improved in terms of it's bugginess with every patch.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by ktanner3

As the title says, what was your favorite version of the game? NGE, CU or the original?

Original, before SOE intervened by handing out jedi holocrons and driving communities apart by sending 90% on a jedi powergrind craze. December 2003 it was If I remember correctly.

Earning money to buy that one good blaster crafted by the best weaponsmith on my server, earning Chreature Handler XP with my Rock beetle and Sludge Panther and later Grauls...

Logging in after coming home from work and dinner and travel to Dantooine to join one of the many 20-25 man hunting groups, going out together and kill stuff and harvest it.

My first dewback mount....the first Corellian Corvette....damn those were the days. Although the game was released in beta and certainly not completed, it was DAMN FUN!

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• hfamgamerhfamgamer Member UncommonPosts: 64
    pre-cu ahh the good old days of spamming concealed shot at an unsuspecting janta. yes it took for ever to kill the janta camp but i could do it without paying for buffs. Master rifleman/scout rest in peace SWG.
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

<Troll>

SWTOR ;)

</Troll>

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Still hard for me to believe the CU version does not get more love...I thought it was much better than pre-cu...It was the best time I had on the game by far...image
  • BattlesABattlesA Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I was a Pre-CU Jedi. That is when you had to work for it. And there were consequences to your actions in public.  The losing of half of a million xp if you died to a bounty hunter was part of the excitement.
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by BattlesA
    I was a Pre-CU Jedi. That is when you had to work for it. And there were consequences to your actions in public.  The losing of half of a million xp if you died to a bounty hunter was part of the excitement.

Yep. I was on the other side thinning out your side's numbers. Once a jedi got to near full template there was nothing I could do as I was a MP/MBH and that set up could only take a hunter so far. But man was it fun. Only time in my whole gaming life that I felt any tension or nervousness when playing a game. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by KyngBills
    Still hard for me to believe the CU version does not get more love...I thought it was much better than pre-cu...It was the best time I had on the game by far...image

CU had its good points... but if it had been done without shoehorning explicit combat levels into it, it would have been received a lot better. Yes CU did fix a lot that was broken, but it broke as much or more in the process.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

To me it doesn't matter as long as it is pre-NGE.

The old flexible skill/professions system and the crafting/slicing is what I misses the most - that and housing and guild cities.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Pre-CU was by far my favorite version. I adjusted to the CU, but as much as I tried to adapt to the NGE, it finally managed to run me off too.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

I have to say Pre-Cu.  I could not get into the CU way of playing.  Finally after a summer Hiatus since I couldn't stand the CU, I came back at beginning of October to only be starting to like it somewhat to a total cancelling following the NGE less than 60 days later.

I still don't understand the whole point in screwing it up twice in a year.  If they just took it from original to NGE maybe it would of faired a bit better.  No nevermind, don't think that would happen.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    swg was mortally wounded with the CU update and died with the NGE.
  • KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

I liked em all for different reasons. 

Pre-cu I hated the combat system Queue and basically lack of anything to really do unless you roleplayed.... yea lets go spin rancor lairs for 30 hours then grind profressions for Jedi /spit.  The things I loved were the class system, the Crafting and the community.

CU - I probably liked this one the best in terms of having fun.  Still pretty much had the old class system, cities, space, Jedi was not just a lame ass "what class should I power grind through next" unlock, new armors etc.  Bases were fun.

NGE - Launch of nge was shit.  I left the game.  But then I came back after they added in the pvp changes and I was re-hooked.  yea I know, everyone who was a jedi before was butthurt because the grind they did wasn't there anymore, but I played a medic and honestly with all the content they added, seeing a few extra jedi around didn't matter to me when we had all the stuff we had to do.  I didn't like the removal of the base class system at all though, and beast mastering was a lackluster replacement for CH. 

so if I had to choose, I would take NGE and remove the class system and just add the CU class/jedi unlock and I would be happy as a pig in mud.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

None.

As much as I enjoyed the original before cities were put in and made the planets a mess, the pre-CU was also great because more of the game was actually working.

SWG is an anomaly to me, I loved the sandbox idea and the community was great yet at the same time I downright hated many parts of the game because Raph Koster took the cheap easy lazy programmer way in many of the designs like the worlds were created with a random generator which was why there were ditches every 10 damn steps...and no 3D X/Y axis which is why you couldn't really jump and you could shoot through the ground and walls. Or how the crafting system was fantastic yet the gather system blew chunks because of how it would rest early in the morning when most people were at work and by the time you got to replace your harvesters all the people who didn't work during that time got the best spots.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• iJustWantiJustWant Member Posts: 81

I voted original. To me, there was no other version.

This is the one game that stands out in my memory as both the best (initial) gaming experience, and also the biggest let down.

I'm standing outside the spaceport on Naboo, waiting for some guildies. I see a message that "GM <somebody> has granted you the Accolade: Interesting Background".

What?

I look, and sure enough...I have a unique accolade (its like an achievement) from that GM, about the biography I'd written for my Wookie...the accolade said the bio was creative and really fit the Star Wars universe.

I never would have needed to subscribe to another MMO, for years and years. What a wonderful experience.

Some time later, Lucas Arts pulls out, pulls back...whatever they did, they were no longer as involved with the game as they had been. SoE decides that creature handlers were no longer a part of the Vision of the game, and my pets are reduced to little toys I can look at, but the little toys don't do anything, they just stand there and look at me.

My character really did travel to a distant moon, mask his scent (part Scout), and crawl on his belly into a Rancor nest. He really did coax the baby Rancor while its parents' back were turned...there there, easy now... no no, don't bite me, easy, that's it.... baby rancor has been added.

I shouldn't complain. This sad story left such a sour taste in my mouth for everything related to Star Wars, that I avoided the SWTOR failure.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

so if I had to choose, I would take NGE and remove the class system and just add the CU class/jedi unlock and I would be happy as a pig in mud.

Exactly how I feel...

I just kind of looked at it like this... Had they simply kept the CU and built it from there we would have eventually got everything they added in the NGE that was useful...But we would have been able to keep the classes and the Jedi system that I loved...I can say with all honesty I would still be playing that imaginary game had it ever made it to that point...image

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Original Version for me, i saw everything start going downhill when they introduced the hologrind, and he Jedi class, it unbalanced the game even more, when they should really have been focusing on fixing the things that were broken, before adding an alpha class profession. SWG did not need Jedi's, not as a player class at least.image
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    I voted pre-CU. But the option I'd like to see is: "Pre-SWTOR" ;)

• rdagerrdager Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Original was the best. I agree Jedi's were a bad idea, even though I was one of the first ones. They should have just left it simple.  Wish I was back on Dantooine right now. My entire guild on mounts ridiing across the landscape to go hunting. I admit there were fun times after the CU, but nothing beats the original. Bone armor and laser rifles all the way
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Pre publish 9 was the best. But CU was ok if you could ignore the hologrinders (yeah right)