Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Poll] If EQ Next turns out to be just another overhyped game on MMORPG.com

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Foomerang So lets say August comes and we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe. What if all the features that Bill saw were not actually implemented in the game yet and was simply a list of planned features they want to do.  
    my thoughts...

temper your expectations.

Why? Because the game very well might be, in the eyes of some, an epic sandbox. But in YOUR mind's eye it is very possible that any game will not fit/fulfill your requirements for epic sandbox.

So people should take a deep breath, lower your godly expectations and realize that the game can very well be "a good" sandbox and let it lie at that.

That's pretty much where I'm livin with this game. I do find it interesting that the majority of us (myself included) are willing to believe what we do not yet see time and time again. Im glad we arent all cynics. But the irony is how open minded we are to games we know little to nothing about and then when we get actual info and game footage we nitpick it to death.

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,460Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Originally posted by Foomerang So lets say August comes and we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe. What if all the features that Bill saw were not actually implemented in the game yet and was simply a list of planned features they want to do.  
    my thoughts...

temper your expectations.

Why? Because the game very well might be, in the eyes of some, an epic sandbox. But in YOUR mind's eye it is very possible that any game will not fit/fulfill your requirements for epic sandbox.

So people should take a deep breath, lower your godly expectations and realize that the game can very well be "a good" sandbox and let it lie at that.

That's pretty much where I'm livin with this game. I do find it interesting that the majority of us (myself included) are willing to believe what we do not yet see time and time again. Im glad we arent all cynics. But the irony is how open minded we are to games we know little to nothing about and then when we get actual info and game footage we nitpick it to death.

Well, case in point, SWToR...

I wasn't going to buy the game wasn't really interested but then said to myself "well, it's a bioware game", did some research, looked at their "stuff" bought it and it was "exactly what they said it would be" sans the pvp.

I was exactly what was in my mind's eye after reading Bioware's info.

And yet people felt cheated. So clearly what I read and what they read elicited different reactions/expectations.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,463Member Uncommon
    This is a forum where MMOs plug and promote their upcoming games. I didnt vote because you need to take all info with a grain of salt. Even the worst MMOs dont get bashed by the staff here. You need to learn to read between the lines. Also dont forget MMOrpg.com gets 20 min to a few hours of play time on most games they review. Or a set zone thats for level 5-10. They rate new MMOs on what they see and developers can hide whats bad in controlled setting like that. MMOrpg.com is just doing their job and nothing bad is going on here. I didnt vote because no option for, happy with the service I get here at MMOrpg.com.

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• ScambugScambug TortugaPosts: 389Member
    Didn't vote. People only have themselves to blame for blindly giving in to hype.
  • KyngBillsKyngBills Charlotte, NCPosts: 449Member Uncommon

I kinda look at it this way...

Most of these over-hyped games were exactly that, but it's also hindsight to a degree...The only way you're going to really find out about a game, it's true strengths and it's faults, is when the public gets a hold of it and plays for a couple months...And in my personal experiences with these games, most notably AoC, SWTOR, and GW2, each had incredible potential based on what was launched...But each, IMHO, also had some major developmental flaws that made it hard to gain my long term loyalty the way LOTRO has, or even the way SWG did...LOTRO and SWG were far from perfect either...But I never got the "deal-breaker" feeling for them the way I did for these other "hyped" games...

So anyway...All in all I blame developers and publishers more than this site any day...It's tough to predict until you see the entire picture and it plays out...I view this site as pretty much indispensable when it comes to MMORPG news...So I'll always forgive and forget...image

• AeliousAelious Portland, ORPosts: 2,854Member Uncommon
    Hype never is harmful to a game, making a bad game look good before release does however. If EQN is not as advertised it will be far worse for SoE than us. Also, please keep I mind that what will be playable at Live is a demo, not the full game. Of course it's up to SoE to make sure they get the most bang for it's buck. If they have what I think they should have this is their time to take the trophy. They will lose out if not.

Worse case scenerio it's as good overall as what's already out.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member

This was the same site that ran three different feature articles on Star Trek shortly before its launch declaring it the next big thing and saying how utterly amazing it was. At the time they got very offended when I called them out in one of the articles asking if there was money involved as obviously the Star Trek MMO was not going to be amazing or have millions of players. The quick and angry response made it seem even more possible that it wasn't an unbiased review.

I still say there is probably more behind the scenes as to what (and how nicely) they review some upcoming games, but it is possible that they just let themselves get easily hyped by PR people. In the end I just don't read the articles on here as they generally offer no insight and tend to be skewed to be way to highly positive toward new games as opposed to really delving in and being critical/questioning of the games and how they will turn out.

TL:DR: just stick to the forums on this site.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

That wouldn't imply rectal leakage or loss of bowel control, right?

A reasonable level of expectation is maintained by a reasonable level of rhetoric.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• djazzydjazzy louisville, COPosts: 3,578Member
    I could care less, it's just a video game. If it ends up disappointing? So what, I'll move on.
  • MuruganMurugan D, COPosts: 1,494Member
    Bill's reverence for GW2 and the free to play model lost him any credibility from me as an MMORPG gamer anyways, but yeah his blind hyping of EQ Next is shameful and a joke.
  • maplestonemaplestone Ottawa, ONPosts: 3,099Member

What if I don't let myself get overhyped?

( as far as I can tell, there aren't any staff who quite share my tastes, so there simply isn't enough information for me to form an opinion )

• ichihaifuichihaifu nullPosts: 259Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Remember the hype about SWTOR, GW2, AoC and a whole host of other games?

Hype is a good thing, hyperbole isnt.

Besides GW2 lived up to its hype, not just for most people.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Posts: 5,463Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Murugan
    Bill's reverence for GW2 and the free to play model lost him any credibility from me as an MMORPG gamer anyways, but yeah his blind hyping of EQ Next is shameful and a joke.

GW2 rocked level 1-80 =-) Then end game it fell apart. What Bill and his team saw was awesome but they didnt get to see where GW2 failed till the game released. They have not been dishonest with us, they are just doing their jobs. 

=-D Only on a forum can optimism be called bad and pessimism the good thing =-D Welcome to the internet and forums. 

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,460Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Icewhite

A reasonable level of expectation is maintained by a reasonable level of rhetoric.

Well, that "Depends"

har har I crack me up. image

• BenediktBenedikt PraguePosts: 1,406Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Benedikt

thats one pretty tendentious poll - no "positive" or even neutral choice.

if we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe i will just forget and continue playing games i do now, while looking forward to other interesting possibilities

Same here. But it is interesting to see what we are willing to let slide regarding journalistic integrity and accountability.

only it doesnt have anything at all to do with journalistic integrity and accountability - they expressed their opinion. they could have wrote that eqnext is the best game ever and the most fabulous thing since invention of electricity and it would still be just that - their opinion. and that's something everyone has right to. you behave like they were paid to write it, which i strongly doubt.

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,616Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Well, that "Depends"

har har I crack me up. image

OK...you know too much about incontinence products. Oh wait...I knew what you meant :)

• MuruganMurugan D, COPosts: 1,494Member

thats one pretty tendentious poll - no "positive" or even neutral choice.

if we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe i will just forget and continue playing games i do now, while looking forward to other interesting possibilities

Same here. But it is interesting to see what we are willing to let slide regarding journalistic integrity and accountability.

only it doesnt have anything at all to do with journalistic integrity and accountability - they expressed they opinion. they could have wrote that eqnext is the best game ever and the most fabulous thing since invention of electricity and it would still be just that - their opinion. and that something everyone has right to. you behave like they were paid to write it, which i strongly doubt.

No one is saying Bill should go to jail for what we did.

We are just saying his articles are garbage, and not worth reading unless you put stock into baseless claims of grandeur.  Most "awards" and "reviews" and even "previews" generally contain actual information which are used to back up opinions.  But you are right, it is just Bill's opinion.  No substance at all.

• FoomerangFoomerang Portland, ORPosts: 5,565Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by Benedikt Originally posted by Foomerang So lets say August comes and we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe. What if all the features that Bill saw were not actually implemented in the game yet and was simply a list of planned features they want to do.  
    thats one pretty tendentious poll - no "positive" or even neutral choice.     if we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe i will just forget and continue playing games i do now, while looking forward to other interesting possibilities
    only it doesnt have anything at all to do with journalistic integrity and accountability - they expressed they opinion. they could have wrote that eqnext is the best game ever and the most fabulous thing since invention of electricity and it would still be just that - their opinion. and that something everyone has right to. you behave like they were paid to write it, which i strongly doubt.

They are in fact paid to write this stuff. Of course they are not paid directly from game publishers. But they are on payroll for writing about video games. It is in fact journalism. And there is definitely an expectation of journalistic integrity and accountability in regards to reading a video game news site with paid writers and their columns regarding said video games.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Lampasas, TXPosts: 614Member Uncommon

I normally ignore the hype on this site.  I mainly look here for announcements and reviews (which It take with a grain of salt).

Not knocking the site, mind you.  As a fan site, it is one of the best.  Their article are normally great.  However, everyone has an opinion on how a game should be.

With that being said, EQ Next!!!!!!

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: League of Legends, EQ1 (Ragefire Lockjaw), Dark Souls II, Hearthstone
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall!!!

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Belleville, ONPosts: 1,108Member
    Originally posted by ichihaifu
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Remember the hype about SWTOR, GW2, AoC and a whole host of other games?

Hype is a good thing, hyperbole isnt.

Besides GW2 lived up to its hype, not just for most people.

Can't imagine anyone who enjoys playing any game caring much about the hype or the hate for any game on this site ....MMORPG.com just gives an overview of any game and never once have they twisted my arm and made me buy anything

• madazzmadazz A town, ONPosts: 1,564Member Uncommon

Forgive and forget. If SOE decides not to have everything ready for launch (or they just couldnt make deadline), than it is what it is. As adults (and hopefully mature teens), it is up to us to decide what we should be hyped about.

Anyone with experience over the last several years knows that no game is worth hype anymore no matter what they say!

GO MMORPG.com!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

Lol, "blacklist the site" ?

I don't frequent MMORPG.COM because I have a high regard for the review scores or the opinions of the staff writers. I come here for news and discussion.

So it's irrelevant to me if the staff of MMORPG.COM decide to call EQN the "bestest MMO evah !". It's just their opinion after all, and nobody's opinion is more important to me than my own... image

• KazuhiroKazuhiro Hampshire, AZPosts: 512Member Uncommon
    Can't very well blame a guy that looked at a video and had someone promise crap to possess divination on the final product.

To find an intelligent person in a PUG is not that rare, but to find a PUG made up of "all" intelligent people is one of the rarest phenomenons in the known universe.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

What does that have to do with this site?

It is not like i come here for information.

• laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,951Member Uncommon

If Bill ate babies for breakfast...........

anyways...

what's fun for one month doesn't mean its fun for the second.  Live and let live I always say or according to the pole "forgive and forget"

"If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee