Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Salem: Seatribe to Take Over Management & Ownership

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Paradox Interactive has announced that Seatribe, a two-man development team, will take over full ownership and management of Salem, the Crafting MMO. According to GamesIndustry.biz, the transition will allow the game to "mature" and reach its potential to increase its odds for longevity.

"Our conclusion is that the game is active and much potential still lies in the game and its community, but that the concept still needs time and development to mature. To ensure longevity of this title and to have a set up that will allow Seatribe to work with this game for many months/years to come we have therefore decided to take some steps to optimize how the game is managed today and the costs of running it.

Read the full article at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Yep...permadeath went over really big.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

These developers never learn, permadeath in a MMO is a good way to assure the death of the game.  It really limits your audience tremendously, which is the last thing an indie title needs.  So does FFA PVP without any safe zones.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Ozmodan Originally posted by Shadanwolf Yep...permadeath went over really big.
    These developers never learn, permadeath in a MMO is a good way to assure the death of the game.  It really limits your audience tremendously, which is the last thing an indie title needs.  So does FFA PVP without any safe zones.
    I do not get why these development studios make the same silly mistakes over and over again.  Do they really think that the way they do these unpopular features will be so great that everyone will like them?

There is always a vocal "old-school" crowd.  Do they listen to that voice and actually think that most people want those features, or that the vocal crowd even want those features in the way they say?  There is a reason all the old-school games have been "dumbed down".

Oh well, good luck to the Salem team.

I would bet most people never even got to the point of actually dying before deciding they didn't want to play the game. Even the target audience of people who tolerate or enjoy Permadeath might be turned off the by primitive graphics, UI and game play.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    I love the idea of permadeath.  But not in a game that looks like a Lego game for the Nintendo Wii and runs in JavaScript like a college freshman's first semester project. 
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    "mature" < YES. That is exactly what we need, the horrid style that plagues this game already is bringing it down majorly, I can't get into Haven & Hearth because of the lack of any real development that has been put into the game, it seems very premature but I really hope that the entire style of this game is changed to more of a mature style and then I will FOR SURE play it.
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale

• JIUBHUNNY420JIUBHUNNY420 Member Posts: 131

Woah, how did this news turn into a PermaDeath hate thread?

The reason Salem is failing is not because of Permadeath, im sorry anyone trying to attribute the fact that a game has poorly developed and although amazing in concept was made with such amateur talent on the side of Art, UI, and so many other things. Im sorry Permadeath just is not the reason, as it does not even affect you the same as a Full-Loot PVP MMO.

Permadeath has a place and its still a feature people want, but I think if your trying to say Salem is the example of a "PERMADEATH" game gone wrong, your toking up the wrong tree my friends ;)

J-Hun Lookin to Creep Yall!

• xSaintxxSaintx Member UncommonPosts: 75
    TBH, it wasn't the "permadeath" that turned me off about the game. It looks and plays terribly. The controls are delayed and the art style is horrible. I really enjoy these types of games, but unfortunately, they need time and it needs a much better engine.

P.S. I like Permadeath and that's not the reason for this game's failure.

Originally posted by RollieJoe
    I love the idea of permadeath.  But not in a game that looks like a Lego game for the Nintendo Wii and runs in JavaScript like a college freshman's first semester project. 

Pretty much, it has the basic mechanics we want but in no way is this game doing itself justice.

Originally posted by xSaintx
    TBH, it wasn't the "permadeath" that turned me off about the game. It looks and plays terribly. The controls are delayed and the art style is horrible. I really enjoy these types of games, but unfortunately, they need time and it needs a much better engine.

P.S. I like Permadeath and that's not the reason for this game's failure.

I don't think many people other than the devs enjoyed this art direction, it was the only reason why I didn't play it, overhaul the game's visuals and basic gameplay, then we'll talk. Make it a MATURE and FULLY OPEN sandbox. :)

• SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    The game was a steaming POS from the get go... Not surprised at all. Specially with the permadeath caused by those bears and griefers.
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
    Originally posted by Stizzled

Saw this coming, Salem was a horrible game. The mechanics didn't make sense or were half finished, the premium currency was far too integrated into the economy and the controls were god awful. I don't know what Seatribe was thinking with this game, they strayed too far away from what made H&H fun.

On the plus side, I think development focus has shifted back to H&H. A new world, world 7 I believe, has been released and the devs have been spending more and more time on the forums again, talking about H&H's future. At this point it seems like H&H has a much brighter future than Salem does.

I want to see an entire UI and client overhaul for H&H before I even consider it again.

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

permadeath in salem had nothing to do with it sucking. seatribes first permadeath game haven and hearth is still up and running several years later. the reason salem is shit now, is do to the messed up patches like the purity and farming patches and really crippled the newer players and several of the older players from actually producing farming crops worth a damn.

the pvp only kept the population small, the patches that really are crap imo are what killed it.  hence why they are working on hnh now... cause it has kept its population foryears dispite lack of updates

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

The reason Salem is failing is not because of Permadeath, im sorry anyone trying to attribute the fact that a game has poorly developed and although amazing in concept was made with such amateur talent on the side of Art, UI, and so many other things. Im sorry Permadeath just is not the reason, as it does not even affect you the same as a Full-Loot PVP MMO.

Permadeath has a place and its still a feature people want, but I think if your trying to say Salem is the example of a "PERMADEATH" game gone wrong, your toking up the wrong tree my friends ;)

You probably have no idea how many people a permadeath game ( that wants you to pay money) turns away......I think alot of people can overlook some of these other issues (people still play UO for heavens sake) but msot dont want to invest anything in a game with PVP permadeath....That alone appeals to an extremely small percentage of gamers and leaves the rest uninterested.

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Personally, I'd be interested in all the features this game has to offer. I just, personally, didn't like the gameplay / style of the game when I tried it.

I doubt it's "boohoo perm-death and FFA PvP o noes" that drove softies away that "killed" the game.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

That was hardly the reason. I never even got the chance to be killed by another player before I stopped playing the game. It's just a terrible game overall.

Smile

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by JIUBHUNNY420

Haters come here as fast as they can like flies go to crappile and starting to express there hate for permadeath or free for all pvp.

Most time they dont even know the facts they just say permadeath is couse of failing how ignorant people sometimes are lol.

DayZ is btw very succefull PERMADEATH game.