Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] If EQ Next turns out to be just another overhyped game on MMORPG.com

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

So lets say August comes and we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe. What if all the features that Bill saw were not actually implemented in the game yet and was simply a list of planned features they want to do.

Comments

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Remember the hype about SWTOR, GW2, AoC and a whole host of other games?
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Forgive and forget. It's just a video game. They're all just video games.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Ha ha! This is the best Poll ever!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Why do you think they call it hype?

hype

1 /ha?p/ Show Spelled [hahyp] Show IPA verb, hyped, hyp·ing, noun Informal.
    verb (used with object)
    1.  to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually followed by up  ): She was hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.
    2. to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.
    3. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually followed by up  ).
    4. to trick; gull.

noun

5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.
    6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.
    7. a swindle, deception, or trick.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Im surprised people are voting to blacklist. On the other hand I did say gut reaction hehe

• oGMooGMo Member UncommonPosts: 89

TBH I read this site for the forums and the aggregate reactions from long-term players of the various games, not the reviews.

If EQnext exceeds the "overhyped to worth-it" ratio, whoever put it #1 is going to lose cred, but not going to matter much to me. (And let's be honest, it's inevitably overhyped; it just has to be a good enough game to justify the overhype.)

Granted I'm quite interested in EQnext, especially with that story-building UI thing. That got me interested. But, we'll have to see.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Remember the hype about SWTOR, GW2, AoC and a whole host of other games?

Still playing GW2, that one lived up to the hype so far. Never tried the others though, so can't judge.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Foomerang

So lets say August comes and we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe. What if all the features that Bill saw were not actually implemented in the game yet and was simply a list of planned features they want to do.

thats one pretty tendentious poll - no "positive" or even neutral choice.

if we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe i will just forget and continue playing games i do now, while looking forward to other interesting possibilities

• AlastirAlastir Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Forgive and forget ... After all of the good gameing news you have given me , even if i think that what you have seen does not intrest me . well then i can fault you for what you like...right ??
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Forgive and forget. He knows what he saw, its not up to him now what SOE does. I think he does a great job and I dont think its an easy one to do. If Bill Murphy said it's amazing, then I believe it will be. He has been spot on lately. I can see through my own bias too. I dont really like gw2, Bill Murphy on the other hand might be a fanboi but I can see where he and everyone else that likes gw2 are coming from. It's just not my cup of tea.

Going out on a risky limb here, but SWTOR really isnt that bad of a game. They made a bunch of stupid executive level decissions and that built negative hype and more negative hype built more negative hype it spiraled out of control and now you cringe when you see SWTOR rather than actually giving it a go. I have to say when it launched I felt a nice refreshing change of pace due to the enormous amount of mmo noobs that came into the genre just for swtor. You would have to be a patient person to appreciate a moment in time like that though.

Originally posted by Benedikt
    Originally posted by Foomerang So lets say August comes and we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe. What if all the features that Bill saw were not actually implemented in the game yet and was simply a list of planned features they want to do.  
    thats one pretty tendentious poll - no "positive" or even neutral choice.

if we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe i will just forget and continue playing games i do now, while looking forward to other interesting possibilities

Same here. But it is interesting to see what we are willing to let slide regarding journalistic integrity and accountability.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    It's a virtual inevitability that the game will not live up to its hype based on the evidence that no other game has ever lived up to its hype (on this site, at least).  There will be flaws, there will be areas that need polishing, there will be controversial design and monetization decisions that will spark a flurry of threads.  That's a guarantee.  Luckily, I think a lot of us don't simply go by a game's hype or take the word of Bill or any other writer here as gospel but will give it a chance based on its own merits.  To me, the biggest revelation and fallout possible (with both EQNext and Archeage) will occur in the conversation about the popularity of sandboxes vs. themeparks.  The open question of whether MMO gamers are tired of themeparks and will wholesale embrace AAA sandboxes will very soon have some answers and that's liable to spark some really exciting debate.
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

What does it matter? When they have their reveal in August I totally do not expect a complete and finished game with every feature implemented. People act like companies have just punched their puppies when something isn't in game.

I have an idea, how about we wait until August and then find out... I know, I know, that might be too radical an idea around here but give it a try, you never know...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    F & F

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Foomerang So lets say August comes and we find out that EQ Next isnt the epic sandbox we were lead to believe. What if all the features that Bill saw were not actually implemented in the game yet and was simply a list of planned features they want to do.  
    What does it matter? When they have their reveal in August I totally do not expect a complete and finished game with every feature implemented. People act like companies have just punched their puppies when something isn't in game.

I have an idea, how about we wait until August and then find out... I know, I know, that might be too radical an idea around here but give it a try, you never know...

Why are you getting so defensive? Maybe you should stop reading posts with an angry lens :)

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Forgive & forget ofc. The usual suspects will be busy hyping/hating the "next big thing", once EQ Next is launched.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I would say the last one... not that I've been burned personally, but nearly every game that looks super shallow tends to get super hyped around here and results in super disappointed fans posting all over the place.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Of course it is just hype. If you know anything at all about EQN, please tell me. I don't have a clue.

I'm still hyped up, though. Nothing wrong with unrealistic expectations.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    If you get overly hyped about a game you haven't played or really even seen, that is your fault. I personally couldn't care less about anyone's opinion about a game, I have my own tastes. Sure, I'm "hyped" for EQ Next, but not because of anything MMORPG.com says or what anyone else says.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Really lol, why would you even take this sites word about mmo's lol, look at the over the top ratings they gave SWTOR even after they had played the game.

I'll wait and see myself.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

LMAO..I do not think it is relevant to pick on Bill,hype is a fair thing to believe in from any reasonable developer and SOE is a big time player.I think anyone who is an old school gamer has had some fun inside EQ and EQ2 so it is not unreasonable to expect some goodness fro mEQ:Next.However if people pay attention to the changes and the way SOE has pushed design decisions,you should notice they are not for more effort and quality,but more to support EASE of development.

I would be much more worried about Smedley's greed.Remember when SOE hit the news for losing millions in profits,they fired a lot of people.Smedley kept his job,but i think it was not a coincidence that it coincided with changes from Smedley and EQ.That is why he started to push the cash shop,he needed to show profits once again.

Smedley might be in charge but i am quite sure the real brass that are above just the simple gaming division want to see numbers and have real expectations on profits.This is important because it will have Smedley make every choice around profits and not because of quality.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

my thoughts...

temper your expectations.

Why? Because the game very well might be, in the eyes of some, an epic sandbox. But in YOUR mind's eye it is very possible that any game will not fit/fulfill your requirements for epic sandbox.

So people should take a deep breath, lower your godly expectations and realize that the game can very well be "a good" sandbox and let it lie at that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

I voted:

This place already lost all credibility when they mislead me on game "x"

Because of SW:TOR

but in all honesty.... I forgive and forget and still love this site ;)

I'm little bitter suppose, but looking at how GW2 has no end-game and is just a zerg WvW/PvP or a gear grind PvE game...

how crappy Neverwinter is and that it does not even deserve to be call D&D MMO (IMHO)

how Rift was just a gear grind.... etc etc

I really hope the next gen MMO's coming out break this horrible trend

EQ3, ArcheAge and Wildstar if these MMO's drop the ball I'm done with the MMO genre for good

games like EQ2 and LoTRO at least give the players stuff to do beside grind for gear

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Slampig

im expecting every feature implemented but i know thats unrealistic

ZAM interview from October 2012

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30916

What you saw in WoW’s Cataclysm could take place because someone cast a spell that is powerful enough to do something major. We want it to be meaningful. And that’s what we’re building. It’s actually what we’ve built, because we’ve got this now.

It just isn’t quite at the level where we’re OK [to reveal it to the public]. We have a story that we want to tell for the announcement of it, we want it that you’re seeing every aspect of the gameplay, we’re one aspect short of that until we’re ready to show, so we’re close now.

Originally posted by Sovrath
    my thoughts...

temper your expectations.

Why? Because the game very well might be, in the eyes of some, an epic sandbox. But in YOUR mind's eye it is very possible that any game will not fit/fulfill your requirements for epic sandbox.

So people should take a deep breath, lower your godly expectations and realize that the game can very well be "a good" sandbox and let it lie at that.

That's pretty much where I'm livin with this game. I do find it interesting that the majority of us (myself included) are willing to believe what we do not yet see time and time again. Im glad we arent all cynics. But the irony is how open minded we are to games we know little to nothing about and then when we get actual info and game footage we nitpick it to death.