Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: MMORPG.com's E3 2013 Awards

Comments

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Best of show - no vid no pic - no nothing... ? so how is it best of the show?!

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by AI724
    Best of show - no vid no pic - no nothing... ? so how is it best of the show?!

Start attaching your name to articles, and your prose can exhibit similar power.

And open yourself up for similar abuse too, I suspect.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Some of you do realize that it is MMORPG.com's best of show. Not mine, yours, or the public's best of show, right?
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

EQNext is the game I am waiting for, most of these others are just placeholders that really offer nothing new.  Not a big SOE fan, but they seem to have woken up to reality.  Just have to wait and see.

Good luck attempting to make a decent MMO using the Warhammer IP, Games Workshop is notorious for ruining such titles, they can't seem to rid themselves of the need to maintain board game rules.  I immediately avoid any title they are associated with.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

It's very opinionated to say sandbox is the way of the future considering the sales of sandboxes versus themeparks. I love sandbox elements but whole games surrounded by the cocnept I don't see can escape being more than a niche.  where are the additional plyers coming from?

Role playing folk still like a story, and sandboxes are usually devoid of that. 

Simulation folk would probably love a peaceful massive multiplayer game, but one where players can easily destroy and steal hours of work. I can't see too many excited by this.  

FPS folk would be most likely, but the patience it takes to play an mmo doesnt mesh well with the genre. 

So in the end it feelsl ike everyon'es competing for the Eve player base. 

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by dontadow

It's very opinionated to say sandbox is the way of the future considering the sales of sandboxes versus themeparks. I love sandbox elements but whole games surrounded by the cocnept I don't see can escape being more than a niche.  where are the additional plyers coming from?

Simulation folk would probably love a peaceful massive multiplayer game, but one where players can easily destroy and steal hours of work. I can't see too many excited by this.  

FPS folk would be most likely, but the patience it takes to play an mmo doesnt mesh well with the genre. 

I think you may be slightly incorrect, I for one believe that role playing folks would be looking for an immersive world in order to create their characters story, not a pre-fabricated world story to dance along with.

There are plenty of people who used to play, or possibly still do play, Pen and Paper RPG's whom have been looking for a world where this is possible, now I have loved my fair share of themeparks, but I myself would love to have a world to play in with a wealth of opportunity. Whether EQN will give people that we will have to wait and see - hopefully not too long.

Personally as much as EVE innovated and expanded a specific sandbox niche (space and economy simulation), it isn't what most are looking for I would hazard.

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    In 2 months we can decide if MMOrpg.com was paid off or not =-) My guess is its legit. This is a SoE in house game. Cant wait to see what they have for us fans. EQ1 was my first MMO love!

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Silverbarr

I think you may be slightly incorrect, I for one believe that role playing folks would be looking for an immersive world in order to create their characters story, not a pre-fabricated world story to dance along with.

There are plenty of people who used to play, or possibly still do play, Pen and Paper RPG's whom have been looking for a world where this is possible, now I have loved my fair share of themeparks, but I myself would love to have a world to play in with a wealth of opportunity. Whether EQN will give people that we will have to wait and see - hopefully not too long.

Personally as much as EVE innovated and expanded a specific sandbox niche (space and economy simulation), it isn't what most are looking for I would hazard.

I dont think sandbox theme of EQN is what sandbox fans think its going to mean. My bet is SoE have some new tools to make things we used to call themepark into sandbox play. Get ready to see everything old made new and some new stuff to boot.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    In 2 months we can decide if MMOrpg.com was paid off or now =-) My guess is its legit. This is a SoE in house game. Cant wait to see what they have for us fans. EQ1 was my first MMO love!

46 days to Aug 2nd

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    The Division should have won Best Hybrid-MMO.

Console games don't deserve any awards.  Unless they eventually intend to release this for the PC, The Division should not be considered for anything.  My 3 year old PC is already equal to either of the consoles.  I can update it to much better by spending less than console money.  

Same with Destiny, no matter how good, as a console game it is less than equal to anything else.  Why limit yourself with a console when a PC is just as affordable and far more productive?

• SilverbarrSilverbarr Member Posts: 306
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I dont think sandbox theme of EQN is what sandbox fans think its going to mean. My bet is SoE have some new tools to make things we used to call themepark into sandbox play. Get ready to see everything old made new and some new stuff to boot.

Oh I completely agree, much like basically all Sandbox games are not actually full sandbox, after all when was the last time you remembered being able to sit in a box and be able to create EVERYTHING all around you with anybody being able to come and destroy it, or rebuild it, alter it, etc?

The true Sandbox is a difficult beast, but any step to make Sandbox a possibility could be great, I'm just having a "wait and see" approach at the moment though. :)

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys. Look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death!"
    - Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Support the Indie Developers - Kickstarter

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I  Pen and paper games are far closer to "theme" park games than sandbox. Take the mmo away, sandbox games are simulation games with a war element. I can't say there's one RPG (western or eastern) that is like a sandbox game. The closest, and most popular, non mmo sandbox game is the Sims, followed by the civilation games. People who play and love RPGs love having a system that will provide that.  That is not the sandboxes strong point.

You mentioned pen and paper, i have been a dm for 20 years. Still have a weekly sunday game. I've never had a group where i could just sit back and let them "make the adventure".  They'd be wondering around wondering where the dungeon was, where the adversaries were, where are the flavorful NPCs.  In other words where's the story.  

Now, i will agree that the end game or the mmorpg genre is one where the pcs can wonder about and find different stories and adventure, more so that mae their characters matter. But that seems more likely in Elder Scroll online than a massive sandbox like Archage or the described EQ
    ext. 

By both descriptions it sounds like the major player made up stories surround taking kingdoms, and land.  Well that's no more a story that when i play the sims and plan a party.  

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

So the possibilities in EQN and sandbox will have a greater effect than that of what ArcheAge can deliver :o

Does sound like hype, but it certainly got my interest, will be looking forward to see what they got for us in August :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

By both descriptions it sounds like the major player made up stories surround taking kingdoms, and land.  Well that's no more a story that when i play the sims and plan a party.  

Or Oregon Trail, for that matter.

I dunno, it really is difficult to go from working with the tools (area painting and object scripting) to being stuck in someone else's universe. But that doesn't after roleplay (to my mind); you work within the framework you're using either way.

The only difference lies in how close to the edges of the box you can/should paint with your character. We used to talk a great deal about the difference between painting inside the lines and outside the lines with roleplay. Sandbox players, pretty instinctively, want to draw outside the lines; but that isn't necessarily good (nor bad) RP.

It's a wash. The mechanics of your universe are just mechanics. The Lore is where the lines are drawn RP-wise.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

I'm super excited about EQ2Next and this just adds to my interest in the title, god I can’t wait to see what's in store!

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494
    Originally posted by DMKano
    EQN best of the show, and we know nothing. Hype overdrive.

hahahah i agree

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Lol, you choose TESO most anticipated, i know you have to give ZeniMax a little something but you know that it's far from that.

Yes i'm looking forward to EQN as vet EQ1 player but i have a feeling that it will not be a true sandbox mmo and more of a hybrid/sandpark mmo.

We already know the game has classes which doesn't point to a true sandbox mmo.

Sandbox is games like:  A tail In The Desert or Wurm Online.

But yeah i'm really looking forward to returning home to Norrath and staying put for the rest of my MMO life.

You got proof the game is going to bomb? Did you get to play it? Maybe you are from the future.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Funny how you can call EQNext Best of Show seeing nothing of the game at all... and yet you won't give a game like Black Desert any credit at all and they at least have an awesome trailer out there even if a few months old now.  This is all just a hype train.  Why not boost EQNext to 20.0 meter now and do away with any real evidence.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Bill, you gotta admit its not unreasonable to doubt your opinions. You guys do this to every preview since I've been a member. What I don't understand is FFXIV has been blowing up on these forums and for good reason, yet its nowhere to be found on your list. Best in show is a game we have no info on? All we have is your word to go by, who's track record on these things is spotty at best.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I won't disagree with your picks, they're all reasonable, but for most anticipated (imho) is FFXIV.  I've been waiting for this game way back when FFXIV was first announced, then through the whole 1.0 thing, and still waiting lol.  I want to play ESO too, but I want FFXIV more :)
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Looking forward to hearing more about EQ Next. There's nothing wrong with hype. There's nothing wrong with a LOT of hype. And there's no such thing as "too much hype" if something delivers the goods.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by pmiles
    Funny how you can call EQNext Best of Show seeing nothing of the game at all... and yet you won't give a game like Black Desert any credit at all and they at least have an awesome trailer out there even if a few months old now.  This is all just a hype train.  Why not boost EQNext to 20.0 meter now and do away with any real evidence.

They acualy got to see EQNext behind close door sworn to secrecy, and seeing this is on their preference if they liked EQN that much to put it as Best in show thats there choice they simply thiink its the best game they saw at E3 despite everyone else wasnt ablwe to see it.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    You better be on the up-and-up MMORPG.com about EQNext, you get me wound up for nothing I'm going to be PISSED! :) Just sayin.....
  • MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

I can't wait for EQnext, I have a feeling it will be the last F2P AAA MMO hypetrain we have to suffer through.  You can do it SOE, kill it like only Smedley can!  Pissing people off is an art form at SOE.

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59
    I'm so hype right now!