Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: MMORPG.com's E3 2013 Awards

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Now that E3 2013 has come and gone, it's time to present our annual "Best of" awards. Click through to find out who took Most Innovative, Best Hybrid, Rising Star, Most Anticipated and, of course, our Best in Show. Leave your thoughts in the comments about the results.

Another year, another show has come and gone.  It was a strange E3 for MMORPGs, mainly because two of the best games we saw were not really present on the show floor.  We also saw some amazing proof of concept games like EVE-VR: CCP’s little Occulus Rift experiment that puts you quite literally in the cockpit of a fighter and sends you out against an opposing team in a virtual reality setting.  More will be coming from us on this one next week, but if it were more of an MMO it could have easily won our most innovative.  Then there’s the likes of TERA, FFXIV, Black Gold, and more that all equally impressed but didn’t quite do enough to steal the thunder from the following titles.  Without further ado, here are MMORPG’s Best of E3 2013 Awards.

Read more of Bill Murphy's MMORPG.com's E3 2013 Awards.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• H3deonH3deon Member Posts: 36

so cant we just cut out July already, and call it August? ><

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Lol, you choose TESO most anticipated, i know you have to give ZeniMax a little something but you know that it's far from that.

Yes i'm looking forward to EQN as vet EQ1 player but i have a feeling that it will not be a true sandbox mmo and more of a hybrid/sandpark mmo.

We already know the game has classes which doesn't point to a true sandbox mmo.

Sandbox is games like:  A tail In The Desert or Wurm Online.

But yeah i'm really looking forward to returning home to Norrath and staying put for the rest of my MMO life.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by H3deon

I know right >< cant wait for august to roll round.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by sanshi44

You are all going to poop yourselves.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    No Pirate 101? Surely they were the best game of E3.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    EQ.N definitely has my interest. The possibly of a massive world to explore as I see fit is quite intriguing.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Excellent news on both the AA and EQNext games for me. These two along with the far distant War40k are the ones I'm looking forward to the most and more sounding like my types of games.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Bill I know you are sworn to secrecy as far as details - but any at least vague hints of are we looking far far off as in late 2014 before any chance of EQNext launch or is it further along than many of us think and they've just kept it well under wraps ?
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    The only thing I saw that I liked in E3 this year was the Witcher 3. Although ArchAge tickled my interest again after pissing me off with their cars and starbuck themed cafes. I will probably play AA. But the rest... no. I won't play TESO unless it's free to play, destiny isn't evenb on my radar. As for EQNext? Still no sweet FA about the game. Nothing. Zilch. Zero. How it even made the list is beyond me.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    I usually wait till like 6 months after a mmo gets released -if I don't experience beta- if I buy it or not, usually the hype dust has settled by then, everyone has taken off their pink glasses and I can judge for myself if it's worth my money and you don't end up abandoning another MMO after 2 months and $50 wasted. :P

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

No matter what people say about SOE they make some great games, yes they make mistakes but so do other devs. Just look at EQ and how it's still running today and multiple expansions.

Show me a dev company that can even come close to that, none.

And that's not even mentioning EQ2.

Hopefully they will be at GamesCom and i can get to play a demo of EQN.

• SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I don't see any surprises here.  I'm looking forward to getting my digits into most of these. 

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    The only thing I saw that I liked in E3 this year was the Witcher 3. Although ArchAge tickled my interest again after pissing me off with their cars and starbuck themed cafes. I will probably play AA. But the rest... no. I won't play TESO unless it's free to play, destiny isn't evenb on my radar. As for EQNext? Still no sweet FA about the game. Nothing. Zilch. Zero. How it even made the list is beyond me.

Thats how hype train starts you know nothing but call it best hybrid and hype starts mmorpg.com at there best lol

EQN is just themebox with prolly mediocre gameplay(just made that up) lets DE-HYPE  it:P

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Arakazi

The Witcher 3 seems best offer on E3 realy looking forward play this game and i wanne support them there fans of DRM free games i love those POLISH guys.

• vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Wow, this is bizzare. Getting beyond the whole "wrongness" of you "best of showing" a title that wasn't shown. I tend to float with you Bill on your hype trains. I loved SWTOR and GW2 for what they were, I still think GW2 mechanics are the way forward. My memories of EQ1 were fond but puncuated with what I thought was an overly player punishing and far too time consuming design decisions in the core product. 

That said I loved "Minecraft" and for years I have thought the industry needed to stop being so stingy with the fun of content design (read: more player built content). If what they mean by "Sandbox" is more "Minecraft" and Skyrym like then yeah I am totally on board with EQN. If they are going back to there roots with poor game design choices like a good portion of the EQN forum section posters want, then I am out. No way I will ever "Camp" or wait hours for a party again. NO WAY!!!! My time is worth more than that.

All of this underlies the main point here, which is completely frustrating to any MMO follower on this site. What in the world is EQN all about. We know nothing, John Snow.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Most Innovative: Warhammer Online 40K - Eternal Crusade

yes yes yes!-funcom devs= yes!

cant get any sweeter!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by DMKano
    EQN best of the show, and we know nothing. Hype overdrive.

I agree

im a fan of EQnext but i dont think a "closed doors" mmo deserves best of show

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    The Division should have won Best Hybrid-MMO.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    Bill I know you are sworn to secrecy as far as details

Don't worry, they're not the only press invited, and what do you call any "secret" that's shared between more than two people?

Closed Beta!

No, we really mean it with these NDA's...stop spreading gossip...guys, stop...we're super cereal.

/unf unf unf

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Already happened :P

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Some kind of special award is needed for Microsoft's disastrous Xbox showing, and Sony's triumph.

Microsoft should learn not to put the Idiots in the same company building with the Insanely Greedy.
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by mCalvert
    No Pirate 101? Surely they were the best game of E3.

Serious?  If so, I hope you realize that some game marketed for 12 year old will never make a serious list.

As for EQNext taking the top prize I am excited because I hope they can pull it off.  As long as the game features a PvE centric role (Would prefer zero PvP) and no reliance on Forced Grouping (2 notions not normally associated with Everquest). I will be happy.  Cautiously guarded is my state of mind right now.

I don't know about Destiny I am far more interested in seeing what's up with The Division.  It looks to be freaking amazing and is IMO one of the bright spots at this show.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638

I hate you right now!

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Sorry.Just not believable to award best of show and have ZERO  to back up the award selection.
  • TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

LMAO either SOE has one hell of a marketing team or this is going to be amazing.  Though i really wish they would start sending out teasers (images, lore SOMETHING) before the Aug reveal.  BAH, its good to have that anticipation feeling again though lol