Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If World Of Warcraft Lost 3 Million More Subs It Would Still Be The Top MMO!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22464058

So the total WoW Subscribers are at about 7.7 million now. If they lost 3 million they would be at 4.7 million. Does any MMO even come close to that number? Guild Wars 2 probably doesn't even have 4.7 million games sold. I can't think of any MMO that has that many active/semi active subscribers. 

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

And how many EU/USA subs will that be ?
    Asians only have to pay per hour (3 cent) and may log in once every 3 month to count as a FULL sub for those 3 months.

They used that propaganda for the longest time, show us the real western sub number instead of the asian netcafe stuff.
    Bet they are bleeding western subs so hard past years that its not the biggest mmo for quite some time now.

Never understodd why they dint even showed is real numbers from continents....

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Imperator101

So the total WoW Subscribers are at about 7.7 million now. If they lost 3 million they would be at 4.7 million. Does any MMO even come close to that number? Guild Wars 2 probably doesn't even have 4.7 million games sold. I can't think of any MMO that has that many active/semi active subscribers. 

Yeah, but what would the trend line look like and what would come after they lost 3 million?

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Mothanos

And how many EU/USA subs will that be ?
    Asians only have to pay per hour (3 cent) and may log in once every 3 month to count as a FULL sub for those 3 months.

They used that propaganda for the longest time, show us the real western sub number instead of the asian netcafe stuff.
    Bet they are bleeding western subs so hard past years that its not the biggest mmo for quite some time now.

Never understodd why they dint even showed is real numbers from continents....

this really ...

I've been interested in western sub numbers for quite some years now ...

The whole sub debate is flawed for the simple reason people keep comparing apples to oranges

• AroukosAroukos Member Posts: 571

who cares? i was a wow sub for 8 years before i move to RIFT, a few weeks ago. number of subs doesn't make a game better or makes you have more fun. i have much more fun in RIFT with 1/10 of wow population. so who cares about subs, besides blizz?

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556

Depends where those 3 million more subs go.  If they all go to the one game then WoW might no longer be top.  I think what is happening though is they are slowly bleeding subscribers to other games.  A fair few went to GW2, some to TSW, some to Tera, some to Rift, some to Neverwinter, etc.  Even if each new game only takes away 250K subscribers from WoW it's numbers will eventually decrease over time people weigh up maintaining a WoW subscription they barely use vs. playing some new F2P to B2P game. 

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Define "TOP MMMO" rules?

Going by your opinion you look at sub numbers.

I look at content, playability, challenge, fun. Going by my ruleset WOW doesn't even appear in the top 10.

WOW is probably financially+Sub numbers #1, but as far as creativity, challenges, content goes there are much better mmo's out there.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Doesn't change a thing, the game is garbage, a mindless tread mill.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So now having heard from both the Fan and Anti-Fan perspectives, is the thread finished?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

So now having heard from both the Fan and Anti-Fan perspectives, is the thread finished?

Every time someone says "this MMO is #1 and better then yours" adds a guaranteed 3 more pages to the thread.

If the above comment is about WOW, then it's the same ruleset but +20 pages.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Ok

Lets look at blizzard compiled nubmers

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17062

Now the important bit is

WoW now hosts more than 2 million subscribers in Europe, more than 2.5 million in North America, and approximately 5.5 million in Asia.

so we can assume see back when this was run 45% of the WoW players came from US/EU - I think it would be a safe premise to work on the 45% of active subs still from same areas, so currently they only have in region of (45% of 8mill = 3.25mill) so it would be a valid guess to say that only 3-3.5mill (+/- 10%) of active paying monthly subs

So nothing like the headling press of 8mill subs, and if that puts it in the 3mill market then i would suggest that Blizzard time as number one as gone.

Also searching a bit more i cam across this blog http://mmodata.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/v39-ready-working-on-v40.html

which pretty much backs up my 15minutes of research and considering GW2 sold 3mill http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/15/guild-wars-2-outlines-2013-plans-announce-3-million-copies-sold/

copies at start of this year its fair to say that even if WoW is still leading then its margins are maybe 10% above its rivals, long since gone are their nonchelant we will always be number 1 crap.. welcome to dog fight Blizzard...

nb

BTW blizzard developers im sure SoE or ArenaNet are looking for some developer (j/k)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Aroukos

who cares? i was a wow sub for 8 years before i move to RIFT, a few weeks ago. number of subs doesn't make a game better or makes you have more fun. i have much more fun in RIFT with 1/10 of wow population. so who cares about subs, besides blizz?

Of course it matters!  It's the only way those that have serious compensation issues can justify continuing to play it.  Well everyone else is playing it so it MUST be the best... Right?  Who cares if the vast majority of those 7.7 million subs are probably in China and NOT here in the West. 

I do agree with you though.  Let Blizzard and the WoW fanbois that have to use this old, stagnant argument to feel better about themselves care about sub numbers.  I'll play games that I find fun and not let over-inflated sub numbers decide that for me.

• AlveradAlverad Member Posts: 12

Pretty much.  Number of subs in the West is not more then numbers of MoP copies sold (and that is said to be around the 2.7mil mark). 

Also, not all that bought the new expac, continue playing it.

I'd dare to say WoW is nowhere near as much ahead as they want people to think.  And don't get me wrong, even 2 mill subs is still a lively game, and by all means a success, given proper management.  Trouble with Blizz, is that last part ;)

The ability of businesses of all sorts, to misinterpret numbers, or just plain lie about the state of things, that goes "unnoticed" is absolutely ridiculous and should be illegal. 

But then, we all have brains.  It's up to us to use them :)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Latronus

I do agree with you though.  Let Blizzard and the WoW fanbois that have to use this old, stagnant argument to feel better about themselves care about sub numbers.  I'll play games that I find fun and not let over-inflated sub numbers decide that for me.

Have you ever considered that the op may actually be trolling with an easy hot-button topic, that never fails to generate a significant tennis match?

Not saying he is or is not.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Have you ever considered that the op may actually be trolling with an easy hot-button topic, that never fails to generate a significant tennis match?

Not saying he is or is not.

Very rare threads -especially about WOW- are not trolls on any forum.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Muke

Every time someone says "this MMO is #1 and better then yours" adds a guaranteed 3 more pages to the thread.

Yeah, but watching the WoW fanbois attempt to convince everyone that their game is so awesome because there are millions in Asia not paying a "monthly sub" that are over-inflating Blizzards numbers makes them the superior gamer because of it is/can be fun to read sometimes.  Their attempts to overcompensate for something lacking in their existence can be down right hilarious and even bring about sympathy once you realize that many are using a damn video game's sub numbers to feel good about themselves.  What a sad, sad state we must be in as a society for these people to need to be apart something successful to bring a sense of accomplishment to their miserable lives.

Yeah, but watching the WoW fanbois attempt to convince everyone that their game is so awesome because there are millions in Asia not paying a "monthly sub" that are over-inflating Blizzards numbers makes them the superior gamer because of it is/can be fun to read sometimes.  Their attempts to overcompensate for something lacking in their existence can be down right hilarious and even bring about sympathy once you realize that many are using a damn video game's sub numbers to feel good about themselves.  What a sad, sad state we must be in as a society for these people to need to be apart something successful to bring a sense of accomplishment to their miserable lives.

It's called puberty, "mine's bigger then yours".

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Bear in mind that from the standpoint of a business, profit is the one and *only* indicator of success.  Nothing else matters in the slightest.  A new MMO that got a Zero score on metacritic and had 27 active players at peak, but that somehow made $100m profit (maybe those 27 players really love the cash shop!) would be a huge success in the only way that matters to a company.

That said, its impossible to get any information about the *Profit* generated in 2012 by any one major MMO due to revenue and cost numbers nearly always being made public for the entire publisher/studio only, rather than one game, or the cost numbers for developing/operating a game not being known.

With all that in mind, Activision Blizzard is currently sitting at a $16.3 billion market cap, compared to a $3 billion market cap for NCsoft, $6.6 billion for Electronic Arts, and $20.4 billion for Sony (which includes tens of thousands of products).  So total value-wise, Activision-Blizzard is looking very, very strong, easily in the #1 spot for a "video game only" company I'd wager.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Originally posted by RollieJoe

With all that in mind, Activision Blizzard is currently sitting at a $16.3 billion market cap, compared to a $3 billion market cap for NCsoft, $6.6 billion for Electronic Arts, and $20.4 billion for Sony (which includes tens of thousands of products).  So total value-wise, Activision-Blizzard is looking very, very strong, easily in the #1 spot for a "video game only" company I'd wager.

http://uk.ign.com/top/video-game-makers

on your point, top 5 in reverse order

Atari

• Asteroids
    • Gauntlet
    • Centipede

Konami

• Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
    • Metal Gear Solid
    • Silent Hill 2
    Rockstar North
    • Grand Theft Auto III
    • Grand Theft Auto IV
    • Red Dead Redemption (in cooperation with Rockstar San Diego)
    Capcom
    • Mega Man
    • Street Fighter II
    • Devil May Cry
    • Resident Evil 4
    Nintendo
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • The Legend of Zelda
    • Metroid
    as you can see whilst WoW is a top selling game blizzard come in at number 8

the one thing i cannot say from this list is if its numbers is based on profit or sales volume, but I would hazard a guess at it being sales volume, the biggest thing for WoW is that in terms of MMO its streets ahead. but in terms of the bigger Gaming industry its just a major - and not THE player

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Which is totally different from the others who continuously look for every little thing about WoW to tear down just to make themselves feel better for not liking it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

Originally posted by RollieJoe

Bear in mind that from the standpoint of a business, profit is the one and *only* indicator of success. 

So player A from a shallow game with huge profits for the CEOs but with a dying community posts a troll thread putting down players from other games with more content and growing communities after >10y but with smaller profits.

I Get it.

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by w407309

Unrelated info 

While its a fun list to look through, it really has nothing at all to do with my information or point.  There is no indication that list is based off of any actual metric, much less a relevant one like profit.  It looks more like "Random Guy's List of Top 50 Favorite Things" just from a well-known publication.

• MajinashMajinash Member Posts: 1,320

So player A from a shallow game with huge profits for the CEOs but with a dying community posts a troll thread putting down players from other games with more content and growing communities after >10y but with smaller profits.

I Get it.

So, you mean EVE? Cause that is the only MMO I can think of that is older than WoW and could still be considered "growing".  I could also agree it has more content, but a lot of people on these forums would argue that point.  But other than EVE, can't think of a single 10 year old MMO that anyone would say is "growing".  Lineage2? its old and has a LOT of content, but I think everyone will point to the F2P thing that it is dying.

Also, whats with all the Asia hate? Do people who live in China Japan and Korea that play WoW not count as people or something?  The community is "dying" because some people pay per hour?

Everything creates huge amounts of negativity on the internet, that's what the internet is for: Negativity, porn and lolcats.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

GW2 has around 3 million games sold without china.

When they'll release in china my guess is that they'll easily top that. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by korent1991

GW2 has around 3 million games sold without china.

When they'll release in china my guess is that they'll easily top that. 

We talk subscribers here;<

GW2 stands at ZERO subs. Like all the rest of the fantasy based MMO's these days.

BIG difference when talking revenue and development money.

WoT has 40 million "players", of course they mean 40 million guys/girls who pushed the download button...

Revenue of theWOT  group was 12 million dollars last year. WOW had 170 million in ... the last 3 months according to the stock reports.

---

People confuse active paying subscribers with players who download something or bought a product and then left ...

Not a good way of comparing really.

• AbsolemAbsolem Member Posts: 19
    Hey Rollie, gonna PM me back yet?