Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else wish they had gone a little more realistic with the GFX?

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
I feel this game would of been so better off if they had gone a more realistic graphics approach.  While GFX is never a concern for me (I still play Asheron's Call from time to time), I feel a more realistic approach would of been so much more beneficial for the game In the long run.  I plan on playing WS but I will most certainly have to hold my nose at the GFX until I get accustomed to that style again.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Yes. Yes yes yes yes.... And Yes. yes, I do. I do, I really do, yes. Yes.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I understand why they used that kind of graphics style, and Im okay with the reason.

I still wish they didnt go so primary color palate and cartoonie animation.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• piquetpiquet Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Yes. I don't like the cartoony graphics at all, so WIldstar will have to be a really good game to get me interested.
  • DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124

I will be playing WS but for me the main sticking point will be the graphics, I hope they don't annoy me too much like WOW graphics did, or I wont be playing for very long which will be a shame.

I really feel the biggest stumbling block to the success of this game will be the graphics in the end :(

• VernamVernam Member UncommonPosts: 50
    A few days ago I probably would have said no or that it didn't matter, but after playing the FFXIV beta my answer is yes. I will most likely pass on Wildstar because of the cartoony graphics.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Honestly, realistic art style would not fit the tone of the game.  Thats one of my problems with rift, the art style just feels, off.  I think wildstar is perfect the way it is.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I know this is inviting a whole lot of trouble but...

It looks like WoW to me. Same cartoon style, same colour pallete. I'm just having a hard time trying to get excited about this one. Seems like WoW with housing.

I think it hasn't done itself any favours with the graphics they opted for.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    I was excited about the game until I started seeing more video of it. This type of graphics is always a turn off to me. Comes across, to me, as lazy. Personal opinion, no one get mad. It's just what i think because when you put a game like Wildstar along side a company that puts graphics in it's priorities as well, it just looks lazy. So many games out there with much better graphics. Also, with graphics that don't look good, it makes me not want to explore the world.

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• Storman1977Storman1977 Member Posts: 207

After seeing more and more of the footage for Wildstar, I finally figured out what it reminds me of....Jak and Daxter for the PS2. High def, but the bobbing movement animations and color palate are there.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Entirely personal taste, but I can't get past the gfx either. They look worse than WoW to me. Probably going to pass on WS and play FF XIV instead.
  • rufiljrufilj Member CommonPosts: 35

I have to disagree with every other comment in this thread.

Carbine did a really smart move going with those graphics. It's by far way easier to get attached to the game. They add a lot of personality. Possibilities are endless imo.

I'm SO glad it's not anime like graphics MMO number 9120938. Most MMORPG's Rift, FF, Neverwinter, you name it are so damn dull typical rpg game that takes it too seriously. You think that's what you want but it gets old fast.

Like an above poster mentioned graphics remind me of Jak and Daxter which I love with a passion. 

• BrucyBonusBrucyBonus Member Posts: 220

I dislike overly serious mmo's; the type where everyone is relentlessly earnest and every line they deliver is of huge significance and told in some archaic pidgin 'olde-worlde' English.  It feels like watching a film starring Russell Crow in every role.  You just end up screaming 'stop taking yourself so seriously you monumental prick!' at the screen.   

So in conclusion I quite like the cartoony style.  

Originally posted by BrucyBonus

I dislike overly serious mmo's; the type where everyone is relentlessly earnest and every line they deliver is of huge significance and told in some archaic pidgin 'olde-worlde' English.  It feels like watching a film starring Russell Crow in every role.  You just end up screaming 'stop taking yourself so seriously you monumental prick!' at the screen.   

So in conclusion I quite like the cartoony style.  

Exactly what I'm trying to say. It gets old so fast. If Carbine pulls this off (fingers crossed) It will be the perfect mmorpg.  The lore is fantastic and the races are really well done so much creativity. 

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805

Certainly not.  Obviously it's my opinion but I've always really enjoyed the bright, cartoony aesthetic.  As somebody mentioned above it certainly helps with the vibe/tone that they're going for with the game, and as somebody else mentioned...  This game to me, is like a MMO version of Jak and Daxter.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  As far as serious graphics go, I'm actually getting tired of hyper-realistic graphics.  Guild Wars 2 is a gorgeous game with a fantastic art style but I'm ready for something new.  Rift to me is one of the ugliest looking MMOs to release in recent years it's always looked...  'Fuzzy' to me, it's hard to explain.  I just don't enjoy the look.

Plenty of upcoming/current sci-fi mmos will be using 'serious' looking graphics in the coming years anyways. Face of Mankind, Defiance, Planetside 2, SWTOR, Startrek Online, Global Agenda, Perpetuum, Dust 514, EVE, Mechwarrior Online, The Repopulation.

Besides.  I'm getting tired of the whole fantasy/sci-fi trope of...  "EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD MUST COME TOGETHER TO STOP A TERRIBLE EVIL.  THIS IS SERIOUS, GUYS.  SERIOUS STORY.  SERIOUS CHARACTERS.  DEAD.  SERIOUS."

I'm looking forward to a game that adhere's to Vanilla WoW's rules.  Wildstar not only looks like it's going to have some great mechanics but a fun story and good humor to match.

I like to complain about games.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I wish they had gone with a MUCH more realistic GFX style. A little would not have been enough. I do not play cartoon MMOs for long term. I used to try out such MMOs (WoW, Allods, Wizards 101, etc.), do the trial, but I don't stay. I do not like cartoon style whatsoever. I lose my interest in those MMOs primarily because of the GFX style.

I agree, most MMO's NPC characters, it's plotline and story, they all take themselves too serious at times. They really need to lighten up. To me the solution isn't making a MMO look ridiculus, rather write the storyline, quests, and NPC dialog correctly in the first place so it doesn't seem the world will explode if you don't deliver the cabbages. I just don't want my MMO to look like an episode of ScoobyDoo. Having cartoons look like that is OK by me, not MMOs.

Wildstar might be the best MMO ever created, but as long as it looks like a cartoon I am not interested. It's a SciFi MMO, we need more of them, but to me SciFi and cartoon do not mix. It is a personal taste sort of thing I realise, so I don't come here hating on Wildstar's Devs for not making the way I wanted it. Only one other time have I mentioned this. I wish the Wildstar Project, the Devs, and it's Players, best of luck and good fun.

(No I have never played DCUO online or any comicbook superhero MMO, not even remotely interested.).

• ZarriyaZarriya Member UncommonPosts: 446
    No, I really like the graphics a lot.  It gives the game a lot of personality.
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

I wish they had gone with a MUCH more realistic GFX style. A little would not have been enough. I do not play cartoon MMOs for long term. I used to try out such MMOs (WoW, Allods, Wizards 101, etc.), do the trial, but I do stay. I do not like cartoon style whatsoever. I lose my interest in those MMOs primarily because of the GFX style.

I agree, most MMO's NPC characters, it's plotline and story, they all take themselves too serious at times. They really need to lighten up. I just don't want my MMO to look like an episode of ScoobyDoo. Having cartoons look like that is OK by me, not MMOs.

Wildstar might be the best MMO ever created, but as long as it looks like a cartoon I am not interested. It's a SciFi MMO, we need more of them, but to me SciFi and cartoon do not mix. It is a personal taste sort of thing I realise, so I don't come here hating on Wildstar's Devs for not making the way I wanted it. Only one other time have I mentioned this. I wish the Wildstar Project, the Devs, and it's Players, best of luck and good fun.

(No I have never played DCUO online or any comicbook superhero MMO, not even remotely interested.).

Having a hard time imaging Wildstar's races looking realistic.. something like Defience maybe.. no thanks.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

As long as it's fun I don't care if they characters look like stick people. But then again, I grew up with pong! O.o

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Derros
    Honestly, realistic art style would not fit the tone of the game.  Thats one of my problems with rift, the art style just feels, off.  I think wildstar is perfect the way it is.

Same here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    Originally posted by rufilj
    Originally posted by Gardavsshade

I wish they had gone with a MUCH more realistic GFX style. A little would not have been enough. I do not play cartoon MMOs for long term. I used to try out such MMOs (WoW, Allods, Wizards 101, etc.), do the trial, but I do stay. I do not like cartoon style whatsoever. I lose my interest in those MMOs primarily because of the GFX style.

I agree, most MMO's NPC characters, it's plotline and story, they all take themselves too serious at times. They really need to lighten up. I just don't want my MMO to look like an episode of ScoobyDoo. Having cartoons look like that is OK by me, not MMOs.

Having a hard time imaging Wildstar's races looking realistic.. something like Defience maybe.. no thanks.

I don't know of course, just a guess, but I would guess the GFX style was chosen first and everything designed to fit that.

• mmobootsymmobootsy Member Posts: 48
    Honestly, realistic art style would not fit the tone of the game. 

Exactly.

• HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Harafnir

^

• KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by Harafnir

^

Yes and yes here to :)

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by mmobootsy
    Honestly, realistic art style would not fit the tone of the game. 

Exactly.

Absolutely !

The game has a whimsical style, full of slapstick humor and over-the-top imagery. How could they ever have pulled that off in a hyper-realistic game world ?

So far, most MMO's have gone with the serious angle. The threats are dire, the battles epic and the heroes chiselled and grim-faced. Anyone that dares to smile is promptly decapitated with a finely detailed and lethal-looking 30-foot battleaxe. The only characters that get to laugh are those dungeon bosses that get the signature maniacal "Muhahahahaha"...

Wildstar's Cartoon Capers comedy is a fresh new script.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Chasing realism is the quickest way to date your game. What you think looks realistic now will look like shit when the next console shooter begins making the rounds and your game is compared with that. There's a reason the Borderlands chose it's style. Years later the only graphics BL2 has to compete against are it's own.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.