Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the point of TESO

VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

At this point I'm wonder why they're making this game.

Skyrim, and the series, are amazing games.  As I play Skyrim and have friends in my vent playing Skyrim, what we say is that the only thing that could make it better would be to be able to play it together.  But we'd be fine with co-op, our own server or game, our own world responding only to us.

I'm worried that with TESO the parts that make elder scrolls the best will be obliterated.  The immersion, depth, and amazingness of it all will be shot when xXDrizzt99Xx and other morons are flashing across your screen and general chat is full of child mentalities talking about WoW.

The other thing is, everything I'm hearing about this game sucks.  Skyrim and the series are amazing PVE games - they do PVE content in a way that few can match.  Huge open worlds full of endless things to do the way you want to do them.  Millions of players doing this single player PVE content.

So...what're they doing?  Making tons of PVP stuff for the game.  Really?  PvP has nothing at all to do with ES games.  Why?  Why even have PvP in TESO AT ALL?  MMORPG PvP sucks under the best of circumstances but in a game like TESO where you have few skills and use two buttons to fight...the PvP will be horribly boring.

And really, is PvP what fans want?  All the millions who have played this solo PvE game said, you know what, what would REALLY make this game better would be if you could PvP with these characters doing stuff that has nothing to do with the rest of the game (like all MMO PvP).

I just don't get it.

In a recent interview the TESO dude was asked about what kind of group content there was and he says, well we have PvP, there's that.  Really?  You pinheaded idea of group content for the online version of one of the best PvE franchises ever is PvP?  I wanted to reach thru the web and slap the fool.

If they're going with a weak version of Skyrim's gameplay and content and hoping that PvP with their character development system, gameplay, and combat system is going to somehow be a good game, they are drastically mistaken.

TESO, just like Neverwinter (PvP has nothing to do with D&D) shouldn't even have PvP and should be focused on PvE.  One reason why so many MMORPGs end up being mediocre and or having no lasting appeal is lack of PvE content to keep people busy past the solo ez-mode content.  Once they finish the glorified single player game part of the so-called massively multiplayer game they move on.  If devs would FOCUS a little more instead of trying to be everything for everybody, maybe they could retain some customers for more than a few months.

Wasting time making a complex PvP system for a franchise that has always been the pinnacle of PvE seems amazingly stupid.  Especially when the combat is so simplistic.  I can't even imagine anybody wanting to PvP with character setups and skills that are like those in skyrim.  Click mouse or click and hold for power attack.  How amazingly not compelling for PvP.

What they should be doing is throwing in as much group-based PvE stuff as they can possibly come up with so all those millions of players who have been doing PvE content for years and years can finally do that wicked content with other people.

Honestly, the more I hear about TESO at this point, the less interested I am in it because the last thing the MMORPG genre needs at this point is yet another clone of a game that tries to be everything for everybody.  Too much solo ez-mode, crappy PvP, and not enough group content to keep people around.  Same old crap formula that has produced mediocre and non-enduring MMO after MMO.

What the genre does need is a game that says, screw it, we're not doing yet another crappy attempt at PvP, and instead we're going to focus on fewer things, and instead of making a glorified single player game we're going to emphasize the one thing that's unique about MMOs and makes them special - the damn grouping.  If the idiots who want to solo in multiplayer games don't play, too bad, if the people who want to PvP and usually don't even care about the rest of the game don't play, too bad.  Take a chance on making the type of MMO that people will stick with and play for years, instead of making yet another generic MMO that has crap community and longevity because people play for 3 months, bail, come back once in a while if new content comes out, disappear again, repeat.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

In my opinion, the point of the game is cash.  The design reflects how Zenimax optimized profitability.

I'm not saying they did great, or they did badly, but in the end it's an investment seeking return.  That's business.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192

Im not big on the PvP aspect either.  But Skyrim will stand on its own and be unaffected by TESO.

Just think of it as a different game, and maybe TESO will turn out good.  Skyrim will always be there. But I just worry that Bethesda will concentrate on TESO and not the PvE elderscrolls worlds we love.

Remember when Bioware decided to make SWTOR instead of Knights of the Old Republic 3?  That didn't turn out so good and we missed out on an awesome single player game they could of made.

The Bethesda devs better have enough people working on the next Skyrim or we will all lose out.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Problem is, there are large groups of people who when put online automatically want to prove their !@#$ is bigger by killing each other.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

So many words to say you want private server Skyrim co-op. too bad that mod is not ready yet, eh?

http://forums.skyrim-online.com/portal.php

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Calibanvov

Im not big on the PvP aspect either.  But Skyrim will stand on its own and be unaffected by TESO.

Just think of it as a different game, and maybe TESO will turn out good.  Skyrim will always be there. But I just worry that Bethesda will concentrate on TESO and not the PvE elderscrolls worlds we love.

Remember when Bioware decided to make SWTOR instead of Knights of the Old Republic 3?  That didn't turn out so good and we missed out on an awesome single player game they could of made.

The Bethesda devs better have enough people working on the next Skyrim or we will all lose out.

Zenimax is developing TESO not Bethesda. I am sure they have a hand in things, but I doubt there's significant resources from Bethesda being pulled away for TESO.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    100% agree and that's why I thought Elder Scrolls would have made the perfect IP for a proper MMO. Sadly...that does not seem to be the case at all. 

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    You must be from the future... They are making the game to give many of us something we want to play, simple as that.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

I did attack and defend citys in Skyrim together with guards in TESO PVP i will do the same just replace the guards with people.

Honestly i have a hard time seeing whats wrong with that O.o.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

The point of the game is to entertain.

Maybe it will entertain you, maybe it won't.

Maybe it will entertain me, maybe it won't.

Let's wait until it releases to find out, shall we?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• CalibanvovCalibanvov Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Originally posted by Calibanvov

Zenimax is developing TESO not Bethesda. I am sure they have a hand in things, but I doubt there's significant resources from Bethesda being pulled away for TESO.

Cool, I feel better now

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Of course a single player game isnt about PvP.  It's a single player game.  It's also not about group content at all.  That's a moot point.

I'd say the universe of TES *is* suited for PvP, given the very nature of the games. 

Let's say somehow another random player ended up in your game of Skyrim.  Wat law is there saying that you have to work *together*?  Who is to say you wouldn't try to fight one another?  /shrug

The open nature of the elder scrolls in general says to me that the MMORPG incarnation of the series should be all about choices.  PvP, PvE, solo, small sroup, crafting, trading, whatever.  Frankly the biggest issue I personally see is that they didn't make this THE AAA sandbox it could be.

• ChloroCatChloroCat Member Posts: 98
    Not sure why they didn't just get on the zombie band-wagon. Skyrim: Z

Jymm Byuu
    Playing : Blood Bowl. Waiting for 2. Holding breath for Archeage and EQN.

• KatrarKatrar Member Posts: 168
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Close, but this is not actually the point of the game at all. The point of the game is to make Zenimax money. The entertaining part is simply the method by which they hope to do so. In the eyes/world of a large publisher, they are interested in putting forth the least effort possible necessary to obtain the largest reward possible. It's not about you, me, or the gaming community at large. They really couldn't care less about the product, so long as it sells. Notice I'm talking about the publisher (the shot caller), not the developer (the publisher's gimp).

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

+1

You will IMO, never Like TESO if you keep comparing it to the SP cousins. What I dont get ( no disrespect intended), is Matt Frior, and Paul Sage have been interviewed tons of times with the same question "If I like Skyrim, Will I like Teso?" and the usual response is "We hope so, but Teso is a different game then the SP games, its in the same universe just a 1000 years back" . They have said this multiple times. 

I guess you could look at what Warcraft became...not the same but both are/were good games..and in the same UNIVERSE.

If you read enough of the reviews most of the people that have played the demo, Say they felt like they were stepping into an Elder Scrolls game. that covers Universe/essence/ environment, and for me that is one of the CORE elements of a game. 

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368
    Originally posted by zaylin

If you read enough of the reviews most of the people that have played the demo, Say they felt like they were stepping into an Elder Scrolls game. that covers Universe/essence/ environment, and for me that is one of the CORE elements of a game. 

Any game can make you "feel" like the game is what its supposed to be in a 30min - 1hr demo.

The Devs designed it that way.

How does it feel after 8hrs? A week? 1st month?

Hell, SWTOR "feels" really fun and Star Warsy the first hour of play.

A week/month later, not so much.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I'd personally rather see a co-op option as well so you can just play with a few friends or even strangers and then you can set it up to play how you want to play, maybe even have mods on the servers and such. With the MMO aspect though, how can be a sneaky thief that avoids combat whenever possible and only wants to pickpocket and rob houses to try and get rich to buy a house to store all my treasures? I can't do that and I have to be a fighter along side everyone else? Then It's not an elder scrolls game.

The fact that they (among many other MMO devs) are using a single player story line for an MMO just tells me that they aren't ready to make an MMO. Everyone is the same person basically looking at the same cutscenes going through the same story etc. Why can't MMOs acknowledge why thousands of others are doing the same thing as me? If I'm the best soldier in the army in the story who are all these other players. etc etc

Maybe the game will fine for a typical MMO. But making a themepark and not a full on sandbox just makes it seem like another typical MMO with a big name.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I agree with the OP and I feel the same about TESO. But their only point in making this game is to milk cash with popular IP.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

+1

You will IMO, never Like TESO if you keep comparing it to the SP cousins. What I dont get ( no disrespect intended), is Matt Frior, and Paul Sage have been interviewed tons of times with the same question "If I like Skyrim, Will I like Teso?" and the usual response is "We hope so, but Teso is a different game then the SP games, its in the same universe just a 1000 years back" . They have said this multiple times. 

I guess you could look at what Warcraft became...not the same but both are/were good games..and in the same UNIVERSE.

So far, none of the reviewers have played the high end of the game in which to determine if there is enough PvE content and rewards systems for it to satisfy non-pvpers or if the game ends up trying to funnel everyone into Cryodil.  There is a large pvp crowd in this genre, but there is an even larger pve crowd and if Zenimax wants both, they're going to have to really tow that fine line between the two.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

+1

So far, none of the reviewers have played the high end of the game in which to determine if there is enough PvE content and rewards systems for it to satisfy non-pvpers or if the game ends up trying to funnel everyone into Cryodil.  There is a large pvp crowd in this genre, but there is an even larger pve crowd and if Zenimax wants both, they're going to have to really tow that fine line between the two.

When it comes to games like this they're only meant to be games, look to EQ:N, The Repopulation, Etc.. for something based on long term commitments. TESO and others like it (SWTOR etc) are meant to profit off of content, some succeed at different levels in doing that, others do not.

This is really no different than single player tactics in stringing players along, until new content becomes available. Some will get hooked on the "DLC'= the extras; IE; pvp, dungeons, crafting, the AH etc..yet many will not. It's the nature of the theme-park genre today.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    If you suck in pvp do not play this game. You have  skyrim to play and stay there safe in your virtual world. MMO only pve is pure boredom . Thanks to heaven nobody in gaming industry  want to listen to such ridiculous opinions like you posted here
  • Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

There is no inherent problem with PvP in the TES universe.

There is no obvious problem from what I can see with the PvE as it currently stands.

The two are separated and will remain so in all likelihood.

As long as both elements are fun, engaging and lasting, and one is not required to progress in the other, then all is fine.

Zenimax do have to get this right though...

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

There is no inherent problem with PvP in the TES universe.

There is no obvious problem from what I can see with the PvE as it currently stands.

The two are separated and will remain so in all likelihood.

As long as both elements are fun, engaging and lasting, and one is not required to progress in the other, then all is fine.

Zenimax do have to get this right though...

To the red, totally agree.

I'm really looking forward to PvP in a TES world. The PvE in most TES games have been really under par IMO. The enemy AI has been shockingly bad, a PvP match against a blind, deaf person with no arms would be more challenging.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

After half way through I began skimming and all I read was waaaaa waaa pvp waaa waaaaa pvp .. over and over again. Just like every IP, when it's involved in something different then the norm, people complain and point bad game.

Sure there have been somethings in the game that where not exactly what I wanted, but that usually is the case even in the single player games -.-

You can't expect the game to be exactly what you want. That is just plain impossible, unless the game is made by you.

I feel instead of pointing out how the game will be bad, why don't you wait till it's released first, play it, and then judge it? I have yet to see them announce anything that will make me think the game is bad. There will be differences, but who cares >.> ... that is to be expected. Differences don't make the game bad. A bad game makes the game bad. I just don't see ESO being bad from what I have seen. Course guess we will all have to wait and see.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Money. I'm going to go with making money.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.