Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Power of Being Silenced by other players.

124»

Comments

• fistormfistorm Member UncommonPosts: 868

Chat IS getting better though - in a 15 minute stint I only reported 5 people for doing that last night.

So you see, 5 people in 15 mins, because 5 people are NOT playing how this person wants them to play.  Not even for a bannable offense, not even for saying something past the line, not even violating terms of agreement.  But by simply posting thier trades, this player feels that DESERVES A FULL SILENCE in say chat, guild chat, party chat, zone chat for a whole 24 hours all because YOU do not fit his playstyle of gaming in chat!   

The main question is, shouldn't Perfect world have a GM available to ensure that when a person who has not broken any terms of service and has been silenced, to ensure its against the terms of agreement you agreed to and not just because someone doesn't  feel you deserve to speak because of some off the wall reason?

EDIT:  For anyone interested there's a poll thread asking what people think about the /report system.  So far 73.94% of voters love it, 16.20% hate it and 9.85% have "other feelings"...

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?300482-Do-you-have-a-problem-with-the-current-community-policing-(24h-Mute)

Vote away!!  

16% of the player base hates it and probably have been either silenced or knows someone who was wrongfully silenced and quit.   That should be an alarm to Perfect World that people are being wrongfully silence and are disliking a feature of the game.   The 73% probably never had a ban yet in chat so they might love it thinking that some GM might be there to make sure false bans don't happen,  BUT THERE ISN'T.  9% are the people who think its a good idea, but know that its being used wrongfully.

If you were silenced for 24 hours and your part of the minority, how would you feel, might it make you quit?

• Xaaz23Xaaz23 Member UncommonPosts: 24

It's a terrible system and my guild decided to take advantage of it for some fun before we all left. We all went to PE and picked random people in chat. Didn't matter what they said. Announced the person in vent and all clicked report spam. Did this for hours laughing our asses off as you never saw from them again that day.

Needless to say, this was done as a test to see if this can be controlled and it certainly can. This game is a joke, PE is a joke, and I am glad we have all moved back to RIFT.

Originally posted by Xaaz23

It's a terrible system and my guild decided to take advantage of it for some fun before we all left. We all went to PE and picked random people in chat. Didn't matter what they said. Announced the person in vent and all clicked report spam. Did this for hours laughing our asses off as you never saw from them again that day.

Needless to say, this was done as a test to see if this can be controlled and it certainly can. This game is a joke, PE is a joke, and I am glad we have all moved back to RIFT.

I guess this might be proof why a GM needs to look at this system when someones reported.  Its scary to think that people could do this guildwide.  I feel sorry for all those innocent people you did this to, and they probably quit because of it, which is why we need oversight on this.

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

I got a 24 hr... 

I think I'll go for another in a couple of days.

It is game endorsed bullying .. got to embrace it 

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Even if a ban is unfair it's only 24 hours. I'd volunteer to ban myself to get rid of the spammers and people who can't be respectful in chat. If you quit because of a ban then I suspect that the quitting either isn't driven by the chat, or that the banning was justified and you're quitting because your favorite part of any game is annoying people.

Asdar

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

Respectful ?

What on this earth makes you think you are entitled to respect and that people you deem to have been disrespectful should be capable of being silenced by you ?

Want to know what destroys mmorpg communities .. people like you that are given power to stop other people playing the game when you and the rest of the community should have to use wit, inteligence or other means to marginalis players you dont want to associate with.

There is a difference between being able to ignore gold spammers and report them to the games company to deal with, and being able to mute any player you like becausue you and a few others dont like what they are saying or how they choose to role play in a virtual world.

Respect ...pfft ... real men and women now it is something you earn.

• WereLlamaWereLlama Member UncommonPosts: 246

The design the OP discussed allows others to grief and discourages some types of healthy communication (player+player content).

I think a more ideal solution is rewarding players who communicate in a respectful and/or fun way and discouraging them when they are not (but definately not silence them among those that were not even there during the incident).

-WL

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    I almost totally ignored chat, from 1-60 on my GWF.  Since GWF's typically get kicked from dungeons, just for being GWF, I gave up on dungeons, and just soloed to 60.  Then I left the game.  If they add a class I have interest in, I might go back.  As for chat bans, just like anything else, it can be abused.  But I've seen games that are TOTALLY over run by gold spam bots (Raiderz is a glaring example) to the point that chat is useless.  If the Dev's can't be bothered to deal with these problems, this is the next best thing.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SholShol Member Posts: 361

The scary part of this feature are the people in this thread who think its perfectly good.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by fistorm
    Originally posted by Xaaz23 It's a terrible system and my guild decided to take advantage of it for some fun before we all left. We all went to PE and picked random people in chat. Didn't matter what they said. Announced the person in vent and all clicked report spam. Did this for hours laughing our asses off as you never saw from them again that day.   Needless to say, this was done as a test to see if this can be controlled and it certainly can. This game is a joke, PE is a joke, and I am glad we have all moved back to RIFT.
    I guess this might be proof why a GM needs to look at this system when someones reported.  Its scary to think that people could do this guildwide.  I feel sorry for all those innocent people you did this to, and they probably quit because of it, which is why we need oversight on this.

Oversight won't work. There are too many people playing at the same time, so the only way to have enough oversight would be allowing players to be the ones to do the checking. It would be just another level of things that could be abused.

They just need to add a cost, so that reporting someone as an attempt to troll someone isn't a long term possibility. Since the bans are for twenty four hours, then adding a limit on the number of reports per 24 hours would probably balance things a little better.

It wouldn't stop an entire guild that's leaving the game from doing something like what was described, but then again, not much is going to stop people who have nothing to lose.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by lizardbones

They just need to add a cost, so that reporting someone as an attempt to troll someone isn't a long term possibility. Since the bans are for twenty four hours, then adding a limit on the number of reports per 24 hours would probably balance things a little better.

They won't. Plenty of suggestions like this one have been offered to Cryptic over the years and it has always fallen on deaf ears, the official word is that it's "working as intended".

Like the negative bids exploit, it's going to take a group of people willing to sacrifice some (free) accounts to mute every person in game over the weekend for Cryptic to realize there's a flaw in the system.

Originally posted by Pandaman102
    Originally posted by lizardbones They just need to add a cost, so that reporting someone as an attempt to troll someone isn't a long term possibility. Since the bans are for twenty four hours, then adding a limit on the number of reports per 24 hours would probably balance things a little better.
    They won't. Plenty of suggestions like this one have been offered to Cryptic over the years and it has always fallen on deaf ears, the official word is that it's "working as intended".

Like the negative bids exploit, it's going to take a group of people willing to sacrifice some (free) accounts to mute every person in game over the weekend for Cryptic to realize there's a flaw in the system.

Then it's working as Cryptic intended it to work. Either learn to live with it or don't play the game. Unless discussing it is actually making anyone happy, there's no reason to even bother talking about it.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by kasta
    That's awesome!  I'm all for letting the server silence the pricks who spam so I can save a slot on my ignore list.  If they quit because of it, the better.

Making me want to log back in!  Impressive!!!

Then it's working as Cryptic intended it to work. Either learn to live with it or don't play the game. Unless discussing it is actually making anyone happy, there's no reason to even bother talking about it.

I'm just pointing out it won't change due to Cryptic's historical stance on the issue. Theoretically that should stop discussion about the subject faster than pointing out flaws in other ideas on how the system can improve and following up with your own ideas.

Originally posted by Pandaman102
    Originally posted by lizardbones   Then it's working as Cryptic intended it to work. Either learn to live with it or don't play the game. Unless discussing it is actually making anyone happy, there's no reason to even bother talking about it.
    I'm just pointing out it won't change due to Cryptic's historical stance on the issue. Theoretically that should stop discussion about the subject faster than pointing out flaws in other ideas on how the system can improve and following up with your own ideas.

Well, what's really being discussed is how much people like it or dislike it. That can go on for a very long time.

My advice may not apply to you, but I think it still stands. Either live with it or if living with it is too much, don't play their games. It won't really change anything, but someone could get one with either enjoying the game or finding a game they do enjoy.

Well, what's really being discussed is how much people like it or dislike it. That can go on for a very long time.

My advice may not apply to you, but I think it still stands. Either live with it or if living with it is too much, don't play their games. It won't really change anything, but someone could get one with either enjoying the game or finding a game they do enjoy.

Ah, fair enough, my apologies.

• PiratePetePiratePete Member Posts: 105

to op:

it'd  be fine if it was just whispers and zone chat. Most people wouldn't bother inviting a gold spammer to a guild or party and those who abuse the system and have them muted from zone can still communicate with their guildies and party members.